Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 11:11 PM   #21
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poweshow View Post
Reread what I wrote.
I did, and it's not clear from what you wrote whether you were aware P/R had been added. The language you used was ambiguous at best. Here is what you wrote:

Quote:
Absolutely have. Promotion/relegation was something that was asked for for over a decade. Every year we were told “not this year but we will address next year.” Fictional league players have largely been neglected for countless years.
Perhaps others will disagree, but I don't think it's clear at all based on what you wrote whether you knew P/R had been added.

If, for example, you had used more precise phrasing in your assertion, such as "I know Promotion /Relegation was eventually added, but it took them too long", or, "I waited for years for them to add Promotion/ Relegation and wasn't happy about it" that would have removed any doubt as to whether you were aware of its subsequent addition. Clear, direct, unambiguous language.

So here's a suggestion for you: Before you criticize other people's reading comprehension skills, you may want to consider working on your own WRITING skills and master the very difficult art (which it is) of writing with clarity.

Last edited by Caporegime; 03-08-2019 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:49 AM   #22
itsmb8
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrtoothtiger View Post
whens the last time the development team did something to lose your trust? I think they've earned the benefit of the doubt over the past 20 years.

There are only a couple things that are for sure in life;
- death, taxes and the next verison of OOTP being better than the previous.
Thats not at all what I meant with my post. I was trying to say "i agree with OP that it would be great to have, but if youre going to trust any dev team it would be the OOTPD team.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:45 AM   #23
chriskelly
All Star Reserve

The pre-buy saves you what, like $5? if you are worried that it's shady, then just wait a few days and pay full price. Or buy it and if you don't like it, ask for your $$ back. Or don't buy it, it's really up to you.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:35 AM   #24
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is one of the shadiest things I've ever seen in the industry. "Pre-order our game... we won't tell you what is in it until it actually releases but go ahead and buy it."
The last several months has seen the massive fiascos at Bethesda and Electronic Arts, Fallout 76 and Anthem. And those are hardly the full list of gaming company shenanigans that have gone on recently. With all due respect, I think your shady detection meter needs recalibration.

If the conditions for preorder are not to your satisfaction, then don't preorder it. Quite simple, really. Wait until the release is official and purchase then, or wait for a sale and then pick it up.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:11 AM   #25
professor ape
All Star Starter

Quote:
Absolutely have. Promotion/relegation was something that was asked for for over a decade. Every year we were told “not this year but we will address next year.” Fictional league players have largely been neglected for countless years. I understand the current direction of the series... to fully embrace the MLB license but it’s horrible that those of us that have been here since the beginning have been discarded in favor of the commercialization. I get it. I do get it, but there were a lot of things said over the years that never came to fruition for the rest of us.
As context, I too have been a fictional player who was advocating for P/R and other secondary features every year. That being said, I completely disagree with you. Markus and the team never made promises about what would be added in each version. Something like P/R is very difficult to program and get right. With limited resources the team has to make hard decisions about where to put their energy.

The team needs revenue to keep the business going and growing. That means that they need to add features which will draw in new people. While we were quite vocal, I am sure that P/R is used by a small minority of players and was not going to be a significant draw. If they can grasp the interest of a large group of new casual players then that will benefit all of us in the long run.

As a side note, I do enjoy the irony that Perfect Team which could be a tipping point in growing the business much faster is built on a P/R structure.

Last edited by professor ape; 03-09-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:22 AM   #26
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Oh good lord. When did I ever say that P/R leagues didn’t get added. Please apply some reading comprehension, folks.

I understand we all love OOTP, I understand we all want to defend them and definitely defend Marcus. But come on, for something as widely requested as P/R to take some 15 years to add to the game is horrific. This game used to be about customization, now it’s ALL about the MLB thing. Which again, I GET. I know why, I get why, I can’t complain why. But before you all jumped on this game there was a time where it was about creating the most robust, unique and costumizable baseball universe possible. It’s still the biggest and best at that- but the progress towards that ended and were now full-on MLB everything.

Again, I get it.

For the love of god though, apply the smallest amount of reading comprehension if you’re going to respond to my posts.
I am at a loss to try to figure out where fictional should have went that MLB and real world leagues haven't already taken it?

I didn't get on board 'til v4 so I can only speak from that perspective and at least from that point on OOTP was already an MLB game first held back, in name only, by not having a license. Proof you say?

Default league setup was MLB.

All players were MLB (stats included) with fictional names with a real names file available on release.

Same with fictional logos for fictional teams like the Boston Beans. Which of course also on release a Red Sox logo was available along with the ability "in-game" to rename the team from Beans to Red Sox.

Lahman data base so you could create historical what? Yes, that's right MLB seasons from the past. Keep in mind back then, and now with the newer historical data base, once you've created your league you can what? Yes change all of the real names to be fictional

What can't you do in OOTP now? You can play in any location on the earth, hell, you can even play on Mars with 5,000 foot OF corners and 6,000 ft to CF. You can play with trolls, gnomes, movie stars teams, Game of Thrones, etc. etc. etc. With auto-calc you can input whatever stats you like and they will work. Want guys hitting 300 Hr's a year in that Martian atmosphere? Have at it, make your game and play it your way

What's left? Women, Little League? You can already to that too if you play enough with the settings. Only drawback is with women you have to live with masculine pronouns.

And to counter your argument just a bit if it were intended as fictional "be-all end-all" why was gender hard coded? It would have been easy in the beginning to have "he" or "she" but now it is either too much work to fix or can't be justified to the minuscule number of players that would use it.

Oh my, it took years to get P\R in, the shame!! For most of those years it was a one man development team, Markus. Maybe, just maybe he had to weigh things like arbitration, dips, waivers, player aging, and on and on against P\R and make the best decision for the whole user base?

If you ask me P\R could have been left out for another 10 years But you won't see me complain because I know a lot(really a lot?) of users wanted it? Not sure why you'd want this anyway, isn't it used in some real world leagues? I'm honestly not sure but thought it was why some asked for it in the first place.

Saying fictional is being ignored is laughable. Fictional is not being ignored. It is along for the ride and getting the attention it deserves and benefiting from all of the non-fiction upgrades that come every year.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:28 AM   #27
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskelly View Post
The pre-buy saves you what, like $5? if you are worried that it's shady, then just wait a few days and pay full price. Or buy it and if you don't like it, ask for your $$ back. Or don't buy it, it's really up to you.
Exactly.

Also I believe, on release, the first week on steam includes the 10% off.

Pretty shady offering the preorder discount that way
Old 03-09-2019, 11:14 AM   #28
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Hey, as far as I'm concerned, P/R, and a whole host of other cool options that benefit primarily fictional players, got added far in advance of when I thought they ever would be. Check out this classic thread from ten years ago for a little perspective:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=180971

If Markus and the rest of the OOTP team have proven anything over the years it is that they are highly responsive to the demands of their customers. Sure, some requested features and additions over the years may have received a higher priority than others (and rightfully so). However, I don't think any of us, especially those of us who have been here for well over a decade, has the right to accuse Markus of being neglectful in any way, lest of all resorting to shady business practices. It's ridiculous.

Last edited by Caporegime; 03-09-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:59 PM   #29
Poweshow
Minors (Triple A)

Infractions: 0/3 (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caporegime View Post
I did, and it's not clear from what you wrote whether you were aware P/R had been added. The language you used was ambiguous at best. Here is what you wrote:

Perhaps others will disagree, but I don't think it's clear at all based on what you wrote whether you knew P/R had been added.

If, for example, you had used more precise phrasing in your assertion, such as "I know Promotion /Relegation was eventually added, but it took them too long", or, "I waited for years for them to add Promotion/ Relegation and wasn't happy about it" that would have removed any doubt as to whether you were aware of its subsequent addition. Clear, direct, unambiguous language.

So here's a suggestion for you: Before you criticize other people's reading comprehension skills, you may want to consider working on your own WRITING skills and master the very difficult art (which it is) of writing with clarity.

The word “was” is past tense. It’s really not difficult.
Old 03-09-2019, 03:02 PM   #30
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

I think we've beaten through this conversation enough. The feature list will be out in roughly a week, when we have the open beta period. Enjoy!
Closed Thread