Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:33 PM   #41
Sharkn20
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by garion333 View Post
Since Ben's pointing us to these forums now for FOF8 stuff I might as well report what might possibly be a bug:

In-season when trying to add a play to the playbook you are unable to edit the play you're trying to add.

Generate Guided Plays and Generate Plays work perfectly fine, but Add Play isn't editable. When you click "Add Play" the window pops up, but you cannot interact with any of the drop down menus.

One other person is having this issue. We're in different leagues so I don't believe it's a league issue.

I took a video of it with my phone.It's a terrible looking video since I'm at work and couldn't use capture software and while I don't actually say anything you can hear coworkers in the background. Enjoy that.
Got the same problem here, I can't edit existing plays, or create new ones, I mean, it can be created, but not edited.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:43 PM   #42
garion333
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisbo View Post
Same problem I'm experiencing.
Try restarting the game.

Try verifying your install through Steam. Close FOF8. In Steam, go to your Library, right click on the game, choose options. Select the "Local Files" tab, then select "Verify Integrity of Game Files". That'll redownload any files that may be corrupted, etc. (See this image.) Note, doing this will (likely) wipe out any modded images you have for this game.

If you've modded the look of the game, check with modder to see if there's an update to the modded files.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:51 PM   #43
tzach
Bat Boy

yep, and more importantly restart your pc! it solves a lot of issues after updates in my windows virtual machine.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:44 PM   #44
sircrayon
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Any possibility of a FOF9 pre-order and FOF8 combo in the near future? Would be sweet for fans who can't wait for the new game but haven't gotten into FOF in the past, would love to get started with FOF8.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:53 PM   #45
Jim Gindin
Solecismic Software

Forums aren't good places for customer support, and it wasn't my intent to have an FOF 8.2 discussion here. The only place for Solecismic customer support is www.solecismic.com.

That said, you can't edit existing plays in-season (maybe there's a case for allowing that, but tracking allowable changes would become much more difficult).

I don't know what may have changed with the display, but the graphics posted are custom, so I'd start with ensuring that you have a clean, working install first. It's not an area of the game I was working with. However, I did update Windows libraries myself in the last year, so I'm linking newer versions. I can't entirely rule out the potential for a bug report.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:59 PM   #46
evan466
Bat Boy

I re-validated the files but the problem persisted. I actually switched to the custom graphics hoping it might fix the issue. Restarting my PC didn't help either. I'll probably reinstall the game and see if that fixes it but I'm not going to worry about it now. I'll avoiding posting anymore about this in this thread. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:04 PM   #47
chinaski
Minors (Triple A)

The gameplanning changes are amazing, its spot on perfect for someone like me who cant spend much time sorting thru plays to add to my playbook. Well done Jim!
Old 10-23-2018, 08:46 PM   #48
MalcPow
Bat Boy

Awesome that Jim keeps doing stuff like this, completely above and beyond man!
Old 10-24-2018, 12:44 AM   #49
aslanking
Minors (Double A)

Wish I could get excited for this, but, alas, fof8 is an eyesore. The interface is so horrific, it borders on malevolence. Until we get the ootp facelift, I can’t imagine giving fof8 another try.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:58 PM   #50
Cole
Hall Of Famer

While it's great that there's this new addition to the game, which will benefit FOF9 as well, I'm surprised no one has mentioned disappointment in some of Jim's language which seems to indicate the release of the new game is not at all imminent.

The original target release date was broadly "2018" and maybe that's still attainable, but it certainly seems from the "we aren't on the cusp of releasing this product" line that the game will end up being a 2019 release.

Obviously waiting a little longer is not the end of the world, but it's too bad things have taken longer than expected. In the end though I'll be happy when there's a good game released.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:31 PM   #51
Sawblade300
Bat Boy

This is an outstanding update. Certainly makes game planning much more specific in the sense that we can target certain players more and get the ball to our play makers. I love being able to toy with the blitzing on defense now. I've had too many guy under-perform in that regard because they wouldn't blitz the way I'd like. I love my LB's and I love when they wreak havoc on the opposing QB.

Thanks again for this update Jim. It's much appreciated.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:07 PM   #52
Sef0r
Bat Boy

WOW. Now this is what I call an update. I can't believe the amount of content you've included in this. Since the release of FOF8, I've spent close to half my time doing playbooks and gameplans. I've saved hundreds of different gameplans and tested it in SP before trying it in MP to try and find the one that works. I've tested the new guided generators and wow, just wow...all the frustrations of trying to gameplan are practically gone.

And I'm not sure if this is new or not, but it's great to just be able to right click to delete a play from the playbook. If this has always been in the game then I'm an idiot for now find it sooner.

THANK YOU good sir.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:38 PM   #53
james17
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krillo View Post
Why spending time on a update to this game when there’s still so much work on the new?
I know the FOF 8 gamers are quite happy with this update, but like you, Krillo, I wonder why time was spent updating this when FOF 9 isn't out yet. I worry about this taking time away from FOF 9 development.

Also, disappointed to read in Jim's update on FOF 8 that OOTP is 'not on the cusp' of releasing FOF 9. All previous FOF 9 updates had talked about a late 2018 release. I would say October is getting very close to the end of the year.

A little more detail on how FOF 9 is going would help.

Maybe I'm too impatient...
Old 10-24-2018, 10:34 PM   #54
drewst18
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
While it's great that there's this new addition to the game, which will benefit FOF9 as well, I'm surprised no one has mentioned disappointment in some of Jim's language which seems to indicate the release of the new game is not at all imminent.

The original target release date was broadly "2018" and maybe that's still attainable, but it certainly seems from the "we aren't on the cusp of releasing this product" line that the game will end up being a 2019 release.

Obviously waiting a little longer is not the end of the world, but it's too bad things have taken longer than expected. In the end though I'll be happy when there's a good game released.

Glad I'm not alone in my thoughts. I haven't posted because people are excited and didn't want to be a Debbie downer but since you brought it up. This is awful news for fans of OOTP and it's venture into football.

Best case were looking at 2019 season for a release... I won't say the worst case but you've touched on it, and it's even worse considering this forum is going to load to FOF8 sales..

I am shocked that OOTP allowed this unless there is something behind the scenes that they get a cut of sales, such I'd expect there is. Congrats to those who enjoy FOF8 but I can't bring myself to play a game with a Windows 95 interface and this news sucks for us in that camp because were a lot further away than we thought... and given the history of the project at this point ill be surprised if we see a game in 2019.

Looks like more agree which is nice to read, it's sad because Jim and OOTP have amazing potential together but I feel the stubbornness is gong to lead to the project being cancelled for good. Hope I'm wrong.

Last edited by drewst18; 10-24-2018 at 10:39 PM.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:05 AM   #55
tzach
Bat Boy

Quote:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned disappointment in some of Jim's language which seems to indicate the release of the new game is not at all imminent.
this is a good observation. I think it speaks volume to the confidence that many longtime FOFers have on Jim to deliver a solid product within a reasonable timescale.

As for the release date, there's a lot of speculation on the posts above that rely on a pessimistic interpretation of Jim's quote of 'not being on the cusp of releasing this product'. This is a subjective term, and it's anyone's guess how to convert 'being on the cusp' to days, weeks or months. From my optimistic perspective, I haven't seen any indication from those developing the game that contradicts the original forecast of a late 2018 fall release, which technically ends on Dec 21 :-)
Old 10-25-2018, 07:54 AM   #56
jzicc
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by garion333 View Post
Try restarting the game.

Try verifying your install through Steam. Close FOF8. In Steam, go to your Library, right click on the game, choose options. Select the "Local Files" tab, then select "Verify Integrity of Game Files". That'll redownload any files that may be corrupted, etc. (See this image.) Note, doing this will (likely) wipe out any modded images you have for this game.

If you've modded the look of the game, check with modder to see if there's an update to the modded files.
ugh -- still not working -- everything is as previously pictured -- I did email support
Old 10-25-2018, 08:28 AM   #57
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewst18 View Post
Glad I'm not alone in my thoughts. I haven't posted because people are excited and didn't want to be a Debbie downer but since you brought it up. This is awful news for fans of OOTP and it's venture into football.
While you "agreed" with me, I must say your outlook is MUCH more pessimistic.

Quote:
Best case were looking at 2019 season for a release... I won't say the worst case but you've touched on it, and it's even worse considering this forum is going to load to FOF8 sales..

I am shocked that OOTP allowed this unless there is something behind the scenes that they get a cut of sales, such I'd expect there is.
While I think it's certainly possible the release could be 2019, I think it's irresponsible to state it as if it's a fact/best-case scenario.

I am no expert, but I really don't anticipate the 8.2 update is going to drive many new sales on a two-year-old game especially since it's a game more likely played by "knowledgeable"/diehard fans as opposed to casuals and anyone in the know would know FOF9 is in production.

Also, I imagine this didn't "take away" from FOF 9 time significantly. I assume the logic and coding needed to be implemented anyway and thus the time spent developing this feature is time that needed to be spent for it to be in FOF9 anyway.

Quote:
and given the history of the project at this point ill be surprised if we see a game in 2019.

Looks like more agree which is nice to read, it's sad because Jim and OOTP have amazing potential together but I feel the stubbornness is gong to lead to the project being cancelled for good. Hope I'm wrong.
The project being cancelled for good seems a bit extreme.

The "history" of this project includes a bunch of stuff that has NOTHING to do with Jim/Solecismic/FOF. The initial developer suffered a medical emergency and ended up passing away. Subsequent developers were brought in to try to resurrect the project but it was difficult to implement what had been someone else's game/vision. This again led to many delays, but clearly had nothing to do with Jim/this current project. As near as I can see, Jim has a pretty great track record for doing what he says he'll do and seeing things through to completion. So does OOTP Developments, aside from the aforementioned issues above which were clearly out of their control.

I respect that the developers aren't going to rush anything out if it's not ready and I also respect the huge task ahead to meld an already existing game into a completely new and different GUI. I also realize now that even if the game is on track to be released sometime late in 2018, that could very well lead someone to say it's not "on the cusp" or "imminent", which could be reserved for something maybe 2 to 3 weeks away/in final beta testing.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:10 AM   #58
Jim Gindin
Solecismic Software

Quote:
I am no expert, but I really don't anticipate the 8.2 update is going to drive many new sales on a two-year-old game especially since it's a game more likely played by "knowledgeable"/diehard fans as opposed to casuals and anyone in the know would know FOF9 is in production.
It won't, but we're entering the peak sales time for this type of game, and since FOF9 isn't out, refreshing the game with 2018 files, doing more to bridge the gap between casual and intense game-planning... it helps. I think that also shows I care. That I'm still the same person I was 20 years ago and want to always put the customers first. That's why this kind of project wouldn't work without a partner like OOTP. They've been here themselves. These games take thousands of hours and don't make a huge amount of money. There are no shortcuts.
Quote:
Also, I imagine this didn't "take away" from FOF 9 time significantly. I assume the logic and coding needed to be implemented anyway and thus the time spent developing this feature is time that needed to be spent for it to be in FOF9 anyway.
Yes. Absolutely. About 90% of the work gets moved into FOF9. I thought about getting rid of the multi-monitor non-modal windows and going to a conventional menu system, just to show that I could do it and make it look decent, but that would have been serious time away from FOF9. And that wouldn't have been fair to OOTP. They would have had reason to object. They're fine with this current course.
Quote:
The project being cancelled for good seems a bit extreme.
No. We'd say something. It's still going strong.
Quote:
The "history" of this project includes a bunch of stuff that has NOTHING to do with Jim/Solecismic/FOF. The initial developer suffered a medical emergency and ended up passing away. Subsequent developers were brought in to try to resurrect the project but it was difficult to implement what had been someone else's game/vision. This again led to many delays, but clearly had nothing to do with Jim/this current project. As near as I can see, Jim has a pretty great track record for doing what he says he'll do and seeing things through to completion. So does OOTP Developments, aside from the aforementioned issues above which were clearly out of their control.
Yes. It's not really an excuse. It's just what it is. And Francis was a good friend of theirs, too. Someone they really cared about. He worked hard and he was trying to put something together to change the genre. It's sad that it couldn't be finished. There's so much in these games that isn't straight out of textbooks or commonly done with other types of projects. I can't imagine being able to come up to speed with a different project any more than I'd expect someone to be able to help me with the FOF sim engine or AI.
Quote:
I respect that the developers aren't going to rush anything out if it's not ready and I also respect the huge task ahead to meld an already existing game into a completely new and different GUI. I also realize now that even if the game is on track to be released sometime late in 2018, that could very well lead someone to say it's not "on the cusp" or "imminent", which could be reserved for something maybe 2 to 3 weeks away/in final beta testing.
Obviously, we're not close enough that we know details about the time line. The reasons aren't important (and have nothing to do with 8.2). What is important is that we're going to do this the right way. Every single one of us agrees on that.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:12 AM   #59
Ben E Lou
Front Office Football Central

Quote:
I also realize now that even if the game is on track to be released sometime late in 2018, that could very well lead someone to say it's not "on the cusp" or "imminent", which could be reserved for something maybe 2 to 3 weeks away/in final beta testing.
FOFC had a LONG history/tradition of trying to parse out the meaning of every single word Jim posted about potential release timelines. and oftentimes those interpretations were just wrong.

Last edited by Ben E Lou; 10-25-2018 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:14 PM   #60
garion333
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gindin View Post
That said, you can't edit existing plays in-season (maybe there's a case for allowing that, but tracking allowable changes would become much more difficult).
As an FYI in terms of what I'm saying about being unable to add plays, you can't edit the fields when you're trying to add a NEW play to the playbook in-season.

I'm not trying to edit an existing play, I realize that's verboten by your post and the help file, but the only way to add new plays to the playbook in-season is by generating them through Guided Play Generation and Generate Plays. When I click "Add Play" which is adding a new play to the playbook I can't do so.

I'll send you an email at the support address.

Last edited by garion333; 10-25-2018 at 01:22 PM.