Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:26 PM   #1
sircrayon
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Online Leagues?

I looked but didn't see any threads about it. Will there be an online league option similar to the OOTP baseball games? I know the game is still not a finished product but I'm sure the dev team would know at this point if they plan on supporting any sort of online league capabilites.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:33 PM   #2
ThePelvicWoo
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Previous versions of FOF have had online leagues, so I think it's safe to assume the new version will as well
Old 07-19-2018, 08:00 PM   #3
thefatcat
Minors (Single A)

It would be good to get an answer on this, there is lots of talk in the MP leagues about what happens to those leagues when FOF9 comes out, can we update, do we lose history etc, thanks ?
Old 07-20-2018, 07:11 PM   #4
Sharkn20
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefatcat View Post
It would be good to get an answer on this, there is lots of talk in the MP leagues about what happens to those leagues when FOF9 comes out, can we update, do we lose history etc, thanks ?
We will do our best to migrate all the history and stats to the new platform, I am sure that Jim and the OOTP guys will facilitate this to us The Commissioners.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:27 PM   #5
thefatcat
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkn20 View Post
We will do our best to migrate all the history and stats to the new platform, I am sure that Jim and the OOTP guys will facilitate this to us The Commissioners.

Thanks but I was asking the people making the game
Old 07-24-2018, 02:02 PM   #6
garion333
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Shark answered that way because the history of FOF is that Jim would convert your mp leagues if you send him the files. Histories would all stay intact. He's been doing that since time immemorial.

Will that happen with the move to OOTP? That I can't say, but the devs clearly understand the value of mp league histories.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:30 PM   #7
thefatcat
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by garion333 View Post
Shark answered that way because the history of FOF is that Jim would convert your mp leagues if you send him the files. Histories would all stay intact. He's been doing that since time immemorial.

Will that happen with the move to OOTP? That I can't say, but the devs clearly understand the value of mp league histories.

Yeah i am aware of that but this is not Jim's game anymore by the sounds of things. I can't honestly see why they can't tell us if we can convert or not. Many people think FOF8 is poor and GMs are dropping because of that across multiple leagues, so telling us this now would encourage people to stay in the leagues for the new game. I don't think telling us is much to ask especially as the MPs have supported Jim from day 1
Old 07-27-2018, 10:25 AM   #8
ezlee2
Minors (Rookie Ball)

It would be a grave mistake IMO to alienate the community that has supported him for the past 20 years. There would have been no green light on STEAM without us.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:32 AM   #9
FlexD
Minors (Double A)

Just keep in mind, that most of the updated versions of OOTP have been geared towards the guys that play solo, that's a huge market for OOTP. Not sure the plan for FOF moving forward, but I would assume that they will base the model after their successful OOTP game. Online leagues do exist, but their bread and butter come from the solo players, it's always been their #1 priority.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:02 PM   #10
Ben E Lou
Front Office Football Central

FOF has never had a version that didn't allow for the conversion of MP leagues. OOTP hasn't had a version in the last 15+ years that didn't allow for the conversion of all leagues.

This isn't something I'd exactly be fretting over...
Old 07-27-2018, 01:22 PM   #11
Ben E Lou

Quote:
GMs are dropping because of that across multiple leagues
Interesting take. I'm seeing just the opposite of that recently. In the last two months, the CCFL, GML, and IHOF combined have added 10 owners (3,6, and 1 respectively) and dropped none. Only one of those is someone who joined all three, so that's 8 unique individuals who are either new or returning to FOF MP in a fairly short time period, with none leaving.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:36 PM   #12
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexD View Post
Just keep in mind, that most of the updated versions of OOTP have been geared towards the guys that play solo, that's a huge market for OOTP. Not sure the plan for FOF moving forward, but I would assume that they will base the model after their successful OOTP game. Online leagues do exist, but their bread and butter come from the solo players, it's always been their #1 priority.
FOF's primary market has long been solo-only players. I think some people see lots of online posts about MP and assume otherwise, but it's fairly obvious that's not the case. There have never been more than around 400ish people playing MP at a given time, and that number is generous. At $30 profit per game (again an overly generous number), that'd be only $12K, and Jim has only had 4 MP releases in the 15 years FOF MP has been a thing, so it's a virtual certainty that MP-only players bring in less than $5K per year--and probably more like $2K-$3K. From that we can safely conclude that FOF is like virtually all other SP/MP games in that the great majority of people who buy the game don't play MP and don't hang out on the message boards.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:23 AM   #13
thefatcat
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
FOF has never had a version that didn't allow for the conversion of MP leagues. OOTP hasn't had a version in the last 15+ years that didn't allow for the conversion of all leagues.

This isn't something I'd exactly be fretting over...

These set of circumstances have never happened though, we're not converting FOF to FOF or OTTP to OTTP we will be converting FOF to OOTP potentially two very different platforms, it would be nice to get confirmation we can convert, it's not like it would be giving any features away

Last edited by thefatcat; 07-28-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:25 PM   #14
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
These set of circumstances have never happened though, we're not converting FOF to FOF or OTTP to OTTP we will be converting FOF to OOTP potentially two very different platforms, it would be nice to get confirmation we can convert, it's not like it would be giving any features away
You need to be patient. Having been on the "inside" of OOTPD in the past as an employee I can say that the company likes to make absolute sure of something before going public with it, as over promising and under delivering is a huge blow for a gaming company.

No one really has a concrete idea how far along development of this game/partnership is at this point, but judging from the lack of official info being posted on the forums I would say there's still a lot left to be determined and thus it is not really the time for concrete confirmations of whether feature x, y or z will make it into the final product.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:21 AM   #15
garion333
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
They're porting FOF to an OOTP interface. The underlying code to everything is still going to be FOF's simulation, not OOTP's simulation. The assumption is it will simply look more like OOTP game.

If Jim can bring in any of the underlying code from OOTP, like coaching personalities, I'm sure they will, but I seriously doubt that's the priority for the first release.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:50 PM   #16
thefatcat
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
You need to be patient. Having been on the "inside" of OOTPD in the past as an employee I can say that the company likes to make absolute sure of something before going public with it, as over promising and under delivering is a huge blow for a gaming company.

No one really has a concrete idea how far along development of this game/partnership is at this point, but judging from the lack of official info being posted on the forums I would say there's still a lot left to be determined and thus it is not really the time for concrete confirmations of whether feature x, y or z will make it into the final product.

Thanks for the insight, if they are still deciding on features it kind of makes you think they have a lot to do if it's going to be out before Christmas. If what you are saying is right then that suggests a later release or not much new apart from making it look pretty. I guess they'd be keen to get it out so Santa can put it in all the good boys christmas stockings!
Old 07-31-2018, 02:34 PM   #17
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks for the insight, if they are still deciding on features it kind of makes you think they have a lot to do if it's going to be out before Christmas. If what you are saying is right then that suggests a later release or not much new apart from making it look pretty. I guess they'd be keen to get it out so Santa can put it in all the good boys christmas stockings!
I also wouldn't jump to any conclusions regarding release date based on what you do or don't see in the forums. I believe it was stated that Jim has been working together with OOTPD for a while now and I am certain the release will include new features and not just a new coat of paint.

Markus had stated more details plus a release date would come out once they were ready for beta testing in late summer or fall, so sit tight and wait for that and don't expect much info to come out before that time. I know the team will not want to rush the game out and I assume there's a lot to be done in this partnership type effort so patience is a must.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:35 PM   #18
Ben E Lou

Further, when it comes to speculating about release dates, it's particularly futile to do that with this being the first FOF/OOTP combination, given the stark differences in the standard road to a Solecismic release vs. an OOTP release. Markus typically does multiple forum announcements, multiple emails, releases screen shots well in advance, etc. Jim is pretty much on the polar opposite end of that spectrum, once going as far as to wait to announce a game for the first time the day before it would be released. Markus does large beta teams; Jim does tiny ones. The list goes on, and we have no clue how the two philosophies are going to compromise with one another.

Last edited by Ben E Lou; 07-31-2018 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:09 PM   #19
thefatcat
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
I also wouldn't jump to any conclusions regarding release date based on what you do or don't see in the forums. I believe it was stated that Jim has been working together with OOTPD for a while now and I am certain the release will include new features and not just a new coat of paint.

Markus had stated more details plus a release date would come out once they were ready for beta testing in late summer or fall, so sit tight and wait for that and don't expect much info to come out before that time. I know the team will not want to rush the game out and I assume there's a lot to be done in this partnership type effort so patience is a must.

Thanks again, so from your experience working at OOTP if the beta testing is in late summer early fall how much after that would you expect to see the game if all goes well with the testing. Best guess would be good, thanks?
Old 08-01-2018, 08:22 AM   #20
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks again, so from your experience working at OOTP if the beta testing is in late summer early fall how much after that would you expect to see the game if all goes well with the testing. Best guess would be good, thanks?
Please note this is in no way anything official and is nothing more than an educated guess, but I would suspect beta testing would last somewhere between 2 to 4 months.