Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 05-01-2018, 01:50 PM   #1
Giants44
Hall Of Famer

Scouting \ Player Evaluation Philosophy

Reading this article this morning got me to thinking about how teams value players. It has long been clear that NFL teams vary greatly on how much they value individual players.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/5...chool-football

I think it would be amazing if each team had a value player philosophy that divided between the analytics side and the old school scouting side. then the accuracy of what you graded your players was determined by the balance of these ratings (along say with the talent\experience of the evaluators)

also perhaps an overall rating that reflected value in the league vs value to your specific scheme.

and\or an overall rating for analytics driven teams and for scouting driven teams. then when making deals with other teams, their philosophy and evaluation of player would matter more.

thoughts, discussion?

"Judge a man not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character"
-Martin Luther King

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
-Einstein

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."
-Muhammad Ali

"Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything."
-Toby Harrah
Old 05-02-2018, 04:13 AM   #2
Sharkn20
Minors (Triple A)

I think the feeder system of OOTP and how FOF has evolved in Scouting would be a perfect match for the Draft process of FOF9 and beyond.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2018, 07:53 AM   #3
Ben E Lou
Front Office Football Central

I think the recent article that I linked to here had a fairly strong indication that scouting in FOF9 isn't going to be much different from FOF8. Also, FOF already has a mechanism whereby when you search for D7 players, it returns them in order based on your scouts' perception of how they'd fit in your scheme.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:22 AM   #4
Krillo
Minors (Single A)

I was thinking of something similar.
Let's say that all scouts are either old school, balanced or modern in their scouting. All player has one off these "styles" as a hidden value.
That would result in that a balanced scout whould get a balanced players rating 100% accurate. The same scout would rate a old school player at 90% of their actual rating and a modern player at 110%.
Then there's the "scouting budget" and the scouts ability that also affects the report.
This could make two teams to value the same player as 2 rounder or a 4 rounder and make the picks a little more unpredictable.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:36 PM   #5
garion333
Minors (Double A)

Currently in the game there's isn't this split between analytics and old school scouting from a schematic view, but you the player can absolutely have that mentality. Some people rely heavily on bars (read: scouting), while others rely heavily on combines and stats (read: analytics). Where you personally fall on the spectrum will determine your mix.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:29 AM   #6
GmOfTheYear
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Also, FOF already has a mechanism whereby when you search for D7 players, it returns them in order based on your scouts' perception of how they'd fit in your scheme.
When was this introduced?
Old 05-04-2018, 07:03 AM   #7
Ben E Lou
Front Office Football Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmOfTheYear View Post
When was this introduced?
FOF8.

One of my MP leagues advanced to free agency this morning. My team plays a True 3-4 (as opposed to 3-4 Eagle or one of the 4-3 options.) Here's what a search on 3-4 DEs looks like. Note that even thought it's ordered by "current value," it's not as simple as the "Current" overall rating ordering that you'd see in the past.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rwsxqbz59f...57.41.png?dl=0

A really good example of this being scheme-specific is DE Henry. He's got solid overall at 61, and excels in pass rushing both ratings-wise (upper 60s/low 70s) and in production (11.5 sacks and 15 hurries last season,) yet he's only the #15 option for my team. Why so low? Primarily because he weighs 273--too small for a 3-4 DE. And to answer your question in the other thread about the draft, D7 guys
all have an "Ideal Front Fit" listed on their player cads. Henry's is "4-3 DE."
Old 05-04-2018, 09:50 AM   #8
GmOfTheYear
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
. And to answer your question in the other thread about the draft, D7 guys
all have an "Ideal Front Fit" listed on their player cads. Henry's is "4-3 DE."
Great would love to see this in this years version with the ootp interface would be awesome.
Old 05-06-2018, 05:52 PM   #9
nbryant
Minors (Double A)

Personally I am expecting an upgraded version of FOF8 using a version of the OOTP GUI. As for the game itself, possibly some tweaks and an update here and there that Jim had already been working on. This rendition may be more the conversion and display with heavier updates coming in the next edition and beyond.