Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:06 PM   #1
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

League customization and schedules

Since we know that BTS will have at least theoretical support for smaller leagues, how will schedules be generated for leagues using non-historical formats?

Ideally (in plain text) it would be something like this.

Code:
If the number of teams in the largest division is less than or equal to half the number of games each team plays, each team plays their division opponents twice. Else, each team plays their division opponents once.

If there are two conferences in the league, set variable x for number of conference opponents and set variable y for number of nonconference opponents. Variable y is equal to half the number of non-division games rounded down. If variable y is an odd number greater than or equal to 5, subtract 1 from variable y. Variable x is equal to the number of non-division games minus variable y. Repeat this process for every division in the league.

If there is one conference in the league, set variable x for number of non-division opponents. Variable x is equal to the number of non-division games. Repeat this process for every division in the league.

Schedule the remaining matchups randomly, ensuring that in two-conference structures each team plays x non-division conference games and y non-conference opponents, and in one-conference structures each team plays x non-division opponents. If this is impossible (odd number of teams and odd x value, or y values not matching up) an appropriate number of teams play one less non-division conference game and one more non-conference game.
Yes, that's a bit complex, but it's basically the same algorithm Sports Mogul used for their football game, with a few fixes to cover the odd-number-of-teams scenarios.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:36 PM   #2
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

I'd settle for a custom schedule importation function like that in OOTP. Then users could create their own schedules in whatever format they wish.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:46 AM   #3
sandman3
Bat Boy

The NFL used to be smaller than it currently is. Why not just use whatever formula the league used to use in years past?
Old 03-09-2015, 10:04 AM   #4
BeanSobie
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman3 View Post
The NFL used to be smaller than it currently is. Why not just use whatever formula the league used to use in years past?
My issue with that is, what if I want to create a league with X teams and Y divisions that the NFL has never seen before? I know customization can get buggy (ie. FHM custom leagues), but the solution of using the formula that the NFL uses is a too unidimensional.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:03 PM   #5
sandman3
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanSobie View Post
My issue with that is, what if I want to create a league with X teams and Y divisions that the NFL has never seen before? I know customization can get buggy (ie. FHM custom leagues), but the solution of using the formula that the NFL uses is a too unidimensional.
I see. I can understand having a league that is totally different from what the NFL used to be in any given year in the past.

What I meant is that the NFL has had to change their scheduling formula many times in the past. History of the NFL?s structure and formats, part two » Pro-football-reference.com blog » Blog Archive

So at the very least, anyone who has a league structure similar to something the NFL has had, should work in the game.

As for something more unconventional, you can have a generic formula like bwburke posted in the OP. Or you can create your own schedule, or d/l one that a modder already created that fits your league.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:16 PM   #6
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Again, even just the ability to import schedule files made outside the game (as OOTP can do) would be a huge benefit. Plenty of real-world football schedules to serve as the schedule foundation for plenty of league alignments, and those with the inclination could create schedules from scratch to whatever scheduling format they wish. (Creating a football schedule would be a much easier task than creating a baseball schedule as they are far fewer puzzle pieces to work out.)
Old 04-02-2015, 03:25 PM   #7
jbaumgardt1
Minors (Single A)

I would like to see the same schedule editor that OOTP has. With football schedules being shorter and simpler than baseball and hockey schedules, I could use this editor to easily create a football schedule from scratch for a league of just about any size and format in only a few hours.