Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:49 AM   #1
asurob
Minors (Double A)

College Football

I understand at release you will not be able to control your college leagues on release.

Will this occur in an update with the game or a future version of the game?

Once you are able to control the Division 1 football teams...will the recruiting engine be robust and similar to actually recruiting or will it be randomly assigned players/ or worse a college player draft?

thanks.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:54 AM   #2
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

It will be a future version.

Obviously I don't know exactly it will be yet as it's a future version, but I can imagine we'll have some sort of recruiting in there
Old 01-31-2014, 12:00 PM   #3
asurob
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Cole View Post

Obviously I don't know exactly it will be yet as it's a future version, but I can imagine we'll have some sort of recruiting in there
That is excellant news. I asked the same question on my college league's website.

A college version of the game would be most welcome as the one we are currently using to simulate college football is going on 9 years and there is no sign of a replacement anytime soon for it.

I will watch this game eagerly and plan on a first day purchase. Thank you.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:13 PM   #4
rancer890
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:

This is music to my ears. EA's NCAA football series is going to be discontinued but with this and the prospect of college recruiting in BTS in a future version, I really can't wait.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:22 PM   #5
redranger
All Star Reserve

Simply incredible news!!!!!! I cant wait for this to come out

Just knowing this group is creating i know it will be the benchmark for NFL and college based leagues

Is it 2015 yet
Old 02-13-2014, 03:09 PM   #6
Huckleberry
All Star Reserve

I in no way expect it any time soon, but I would be a first day purchaser of a standalone college football text sim. If the intent is to incorporate it into the pro game then I wouldn't even control a college team until college is simulated appropriately (recruiting, different rules, etc.). I would much rather have a standalone college football sim that enables you to export a draft class into the pro sim.

But like I said, I can't imagine that being any sooner than 5 years down the road.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:29 PM   #7
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

I guess the ultimate goal is to have it all in one game. So you start as a college coach, then get hired by an NFL team and then get to the draft the kids you were coaching.

Two games would be tricky, mainly as there is only one of me and I'm busy enough as it is.

Obviously this is all way in the future though! By which time maybe we have invented cloning.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:05 PM   #8
Huckleberry
All Star Reserve

Completely understood. You've got a lot on your plate and I just wanted to get my two cents in early in the process.

Also, for the record, there are a lot of people that wouldn't take the job offer from the pro league and would rather just coach the college team indefinitely. That's what I mean by wanting the end goal down the road to be proper differentiation between the college and pro levels.

But if you did get it all in one game then the online leagues could be absolutely amazing. Take me for example, I would want to be the head coach at my alma mater indefinitely with basically zero interest in going to the pro level. If you could fill an online league with both sets of gamers (those wanting to coach at the pro level in the online league and those wanting to coach college) then the possibilities are pretty awesome.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:11 PM   #9
Rizzo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
But if you did get it all in one game then the online leagues could be absolutely amazing. Take me for example, I would want to be the head coach at my alma mater indefinitely with basically zero interest in going to the pro level. If you could fill an online league with both sets of gamers (those wanting to coach at the pro level in the online league and those wanting to coach college) then the possibilities are pretty awesome.

This would be absolutely amazing!
Old 02-13-2014, 09:40 PM   #10
trident
All Star Reserve

There is quite a following still around simnation.net for Bowl Bound College Football. Those guys would go nuts for a proper College Football sim.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:30 PM   #11
dcpcarmona
All Star Starter

Totally...I was in that league for a few seasons a while back....go North Texas!!!
Old 02-19-2014, 12:30 PM   #12
Huckleberry
All Star Reserve

http://www.harrisinteractive.com/vau...rt_1.16.14.pdf

Just to add some backup for my claims, 1/4 of American sports fans that claim football as their favorite sport claim college football, not the NFL. And I'm willing to bet that at least that high a percentage of football fans that play text sims would agree. But that's just a gut feel based on the fact that college graduates are 50% more likely to claim college football as their favorite than the overall population.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:27 PM   #13
colourmebrad
Minors (Double A)

As a indie developer myself, I completely respect the reality of needing them to be all one game purely from a human resources perspective, but I hope that trying to do it all in one package doesn't harm the pro game. I think cleverly designed ways to dial the college game-within-the-game down to whatever level the pro player wants to deal with it (and vice versa for college players) would be crucial to keeping the experience top notch. I don't want to be overwhelmed by an aspect of my football universe that I don't want a lot to do with.

That said, there are tremendous advantages to having the universe all in one game/database. You can have on-going college storylines and by the time a player gets drafted you can have watched their entire college career, which is very cool.

Last edited by colourmebrad; 02-19-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:49 PM   #14
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

I already know I'm going to have to deal with trying NOT to draft "that guy" just because he starred at Texas. I just know it.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:59 AM   #15
SmoothGentleman
Major Leagues

This game has so much potential to be outstanding. Cannot wait for it.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:51 AM   #16
Spharv2
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
http://www.harrisinteractive.com/vau...rt_1.16.14.pdf

Just to add some backup for my claims, 1/4 of American sports fans that claim football as their favorite sport claim college football, not the NFL. And I'm willing to bet that at least that high a percentage of football fans that play text sims would agree. But that's just a gut feel based on the fact that college graduates are 50% more likely to claim college football as their favorite than the overall population.
I think, as a sport, I prefer the NFL, but as a culture, I prefer NCAA. The tradition, the fanbases, the tailgating, theose are just all better in college I think. As a sports game...I love both equally. I love the building of a team, so I like being able to keep players more than 3-4 years, but recruiting is so much fun. I'd take either one and be quite happy.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:13 PM   #17
VetLur
Bat Boy

As a veteran of another online college football text sim (and being more of a college fan than pro IRL), I too am eagerly looking forward to this being a part of BTS! I'll be interested in seeing how you handle recruiting
Old 03-12-2014, 10:27 AM   #18
Danbo80
Minors (Single A)

Hey Francis, I read there will be real college players. Can we edit these players ratings?

I understand the college teams are not playable, but will the college season sim
in the backround. putting out results, stats, and possibly stories. If So are these
Viewable at any time. Thanks,
Old 03-12-2014, 10:34 AM   #19
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

The players will probably be editable. (At least I can't see any reason at this point why they wouldn't be).

You will certainly get player stats, but probably not scores/standings/schedules etc for V1.

edit: Missed a question.

>> If So are these viewable at any time
Yes. Just like you go to a team and then see the players on the team and click on them etc, you'll be able to go to a college and see the players on the college and click on them etc.

Last edited by Francis Cole; 03-12-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:44 PM   #20
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
The players will probably be editable. (At least I can't see any reason at this point why they wouldn't be).

You will certainly get player stats, but probably not scores/standings/schedules etc for V1.

edit: Missed a question.

>> If So are these viewable at any time
Yes. Just like you go to a team and then see the players on the team and click on them etc, you'll be able to go to a college and see the players on the college and click on them etc.
it would be neat for there to be a minimal way to show standings or at least rank the top 25 each year. Then again easier said then done.