Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:37 AM   #41
Statsman1
Major Leagues

Will my best WR prospect suddenly decide to become a pro golfer and ruin my day??

Actually, that's not my question...

I am presuming that BTS will have the following features:

Salary Cap
Franchise Tag
Ability to trade picks for players
Ability to relocate franchises

But how about the ability to, say, eliminate the kicking of the extra point (which is being discussed by the NFL right now)?

Or change the number of yards a team is penalized for various infractions?

What about the effect of the talent of refereeing crews - different refs can mean different rule interpretations, or different levels of ineptitude?

Will we have challenge flags for human player coaches?

Last edited by Statsman1; 01-31-2014 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Formatting, so this post didn't look like it was typed by a 6-year old
Old 01-31-2014, 09:41 AM   #42
Stoeving
Bat Boy

Draft

On of my favourite things about the NFL, is the draft. How much focus will there be on that. Will there be full (expected) stats for a lot of players, and will trades(of draft picks) be possible?
Old 01-31-2014, 09:51 AM   #43
clarkson451
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Im supper stoked about this. I play in a OOTP league now and cant wait for the days to SIM. I have been working on stat tracking apps for my own use so I wonder if the're will be csv and or sqldump. Also will there be scouting in the transition from college to pro anything can happen and its usually exposed good or bad in the combines will there be scouting features and or a combine? Also something about the attitudes of these players will they be cancers on a team?

Last edited by clarkson451; 01-31-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:52 AM   #44
Lee
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgran View Post
I'm really excited about this. I really enjoyed Front Office Football and I hope this game carries the torch forward.

Please tell me what kind of feedback we're going to get on offensive line play.

Very good news on this game and as a long time high school coach I have a suggestion in this area that is used by coaches at most levels.

In addition to things like sacks allowed, knockdowns, etc is including a grading system for linemen. Basically this is an indicator of how often they complete their assignment on a given play.

So if a lineman is in the game for 20 plays and carries out his blocking assignment correctly 15 times he would grade out at 75%. Not sure if/how this would fit into the game mechanics but throwing it out there as a way to track O-Line performance.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:54 AM   #45
tward13
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
It'll be expanded from version to version, yes. But our primary focus for V1 is to get the NFL 100% right, and then go from there...
This is the smartest thing I've read about the football game. Pick one aspect, current NFL, get it RIGHT, then move on to historical, fictional, other leagues, college in future versions.

Clearly defined. No crazy expectations.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:15 AM   #46
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painmantle View Post
Somewhere down the road after the ability to design your own plays is instituted, are there thoughts of possibly having head-to-head games in "Coaching mode" online. Having this available in a career based, online League environment would fill a gap that has been left open since the crashing and burning of the Sierra Series, FB Pro 98 set the standard, 99 Killed the series. Being a 50 year old man I have no desire to test my hand-eye coordination against other people. But I have every desire to out coach them with plays of my own design in a real-time Game online.
Designing your own players will be in future versions at some point.
H2H is an excellent idea and something we will also look at for future versions.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:17 AM   #47
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobeck View Post
the colleges are not playable, fine, but really please consider adding the lower divisions as well.
We just said DivI in the press release as that is what at least I can guarantee.
There probably will be the colleges down to Div3, but as I can't promise that 100% at this stage I wasn't going to put in the news letter
Old 01-31-2014, 10:21 AM   #48
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by da commish View Post

Can you provide more info on the financial aspects of the game, what will be included (stadiums, etc.) and how much control we will have over that? Will there be a general manager mode similar to OOTP Baseball, etc.?

The first thing to remember is that V1 will be as realistic as possible, and that will include all the real life cap rules.

Now it will be similar to OOTP (for V1 at least) in that you are the GM, and you have the cap to stick to. As a GM you won't be overly concerned with how many tickets you are selling or what the price of concessions are.

We realise a lot of people may want to customize the finances or maybe even have no cap, but it's far better/easier to get everything 100% realistic and then try to make that customizable, rather than start out with things customizable and trying to make it 100% realistic from there.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:23 AM   #49
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nster View Post
As I love college football more than pro since college is a lot more exciting to watch. I can understand how college football applications would take a while longer since the rules change all the time and recruitment of high school players and walk-ons. Where as pros is much simpler.
Hi,

Yes the changes needed to make colleges playable are more than just adding recruitment and walk-ons etc. The game-Engine (The 2D bit) is fundamentally completely different to the one used in OOTP, so it's far harder to simply change the expected stats etc that you see in college games.

One day though!
Old 01-31-2014, 10:25 AM   #50
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonschiller View Post

So, first question: what will our role be? Will we simply be the overarching in-control-of-everything front office guru, or is there a chance that we start as a coordinator, working our way up to a head coaching job?
You're primary job is GM and Head Coach.
Some Head Coaches call plays, while others let their assistants do it.

For V1 there won't be a case of being promoted from OC to HC to GM unfortunately.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:25 AM   #51
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Cole View Post
Q: Will teams have their own playbooks?
A: No. All teams will operate from the same playbook, but their play-calling will be based on their roster strengths as well as what their coaches prefer. For example, teams that are pass-heavy in real life will do the same thing in the game because they will have highly rated QBs as well as coaches who prefer aerial assaults. (And just like in real life, when a new coach takes over, the team's approach will likely change.)
Will it be possible to eventually have each team to have a separate playbook? Especially if you add playable college leagues.

Quote:
You can create your own leagues. However they can't have different rules yet. Due to the way the engine is (which is entirely different to the OOTP engine), it's not as simple just to change the rules in the game engine (unfortunately).
If we can't have custom rules (and it doesn't seem like that is ever going to be as possible as in OOTP by your wording), would it at least be possible to have different hard-coded rules sets? The obvious ones would be CFL, Arena League, College and NFL Europa. I have a PDF of custom rules ideas somewhere, which I'm happy to post.

Quote:
Yes the generator creates automatically schedules the league, and the plan is currently to have schedule importing like OOTP.
Cool. Custom schedule lengths is a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
It'll be expanded from version to version, yes. But our primary focus for V1 is to get the NFL 100% right, and then go from there...
That certainly makes sense, but as I said in the FHM beta period, the worry for me is that by doing it in way which is not initially customizable it might make it harder to add customization later.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:26 AM   #52
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by beorn View Post
I second this.

It's kind of like fielding in a baseball sim. Really important, and very observable to a real life GM, but difficult to reduce to useful stats. (OOTP has made great strides in this area with fielding.)

Great Question.

One of the stats we have in this is the number of sacks a lineman allows, which should help you a lot.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:26 AM   #53
Molson
Minors (Single A)

does the Health Scan change as the practice week goes on?

In an online setting will teams need to set an injury report so opposing teams know who will play, might play, won't play?

When can I sign up for beta?
Old 01-31-2014, 10:29 AM   #54
Ansley
Bat Boy

Awesome stuff, congrats Francis and Markus!

I too hope that future releases will incorporate different playbooks for all teams, along with being able to play as historical teams like in OOTP. Great start though.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:32 AM   #55
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgom27 View Post
Arena League has a Different set of Rules and uses Arena's where they play so how's that going to effect game?
Making the 2D engine have different rules is incredibly difficult, far more difficult than the OOTP engine for example (as it's designed in a completely different manner), so unfortunately that won't be in V1.

Quote:
E. League option?
Is E for Expansion? If so then yes.

Quote:
Random Historical Draft Classes?
There will be no historical play for V1.

Quote:
College football has Spring Practices so those are technically Spring Games and Arena League starts in the Spring but after the Draft?
While Colleges will be BTS, you can't control them yet, so that won't immediately effect you as a GM.

Quote:
Live by Play? Meaning have announcers and seeing the Players on the field? 3D engine?
The Engine is displayed in 2D. Did you ever play CHampionship Manager or Football Manager? If so it's a bit like how they looked.

Quote:
Draft like in real life meaning going 3 days and Trades really happening in it?
Yes.

Quote:
Super Bowl Week?
Pro Bowl?
Yes

Quote:
Player Transaction News in Team News like on 9-25 the Jags put Tommy Maddox on IRL and called up from Practice Squad Chad Hanne?
One of the most exciting things for me is the data we have in the game already for BTS. All real life transactions for the past decade are already in the game.
You could click on a player in BTS and find out all his transactions. You can click on a team and then view all their transactions for any season/month
You can click on a league and view all the transactions in a given season or month.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:36 AM   #56
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statsman1 View Post
I am presuming that BTS will have the following features:

Salary Cap
Franchise Tag
Ability to trade picks for players
Ability to relocate franchises
Yes.

Quote:
But how about the ability to, say, eliminate the kicking of the extra point (which is being discussed by the NFL right now)?
It's not in the game right now, obviously if it occurs in real life we'll have to put it in.

The problem with making this like the XP customizable at the moment, is that the whole AI would have to change. Teams are going to behave differently in real life with no XP, and so they would have to behave differently in BTS.
The cap figures for Kickers would change as they have less work. BTS would have to predict what the changes are and try to model them.

Quote:
What about the effect of the talent of refereeing crews - different refs can mean different rule interpretations, or different levels of ineptitude?
Probably not for V1, at the moment penalties are given based on if it was an actual penalty or not. Factoring in then if the ref makes a mistake or lenient etc is another thing entirely.

Quote:
Will we have challenge flags for human player coaches?
That's a great question, and one I've thought of a lot.
Obviously for realism we need them, but when viewing a 2D display of a game how can you tell if the player's knee touched the ground before the fumble etc?
It's something we are going to have think a lot about how we implement it.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:37 AM   #57
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoeving View Post
On of my favourite things about the NFL, is the draft. How much focus will there be on that. Will there be full (expected) stats for a lot of players, and will trades(of draft picks) be possible?
The OffSeason (including the draft) will be huge in BTS. Far more important than the offseason is in OOTP for example.

It's because of this very reason we are limiting the customization for the first version as we want to concentrate on real life stuff. For example we will require leagues to be finished by the draft as we want the focus to be 100% on the draft, and not on any remaining games.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:38 AM   #58
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Is E for Expansion? If so then yes.
I assume he meant NFL Europe, but it's hard to tell with him.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:38 AM   #59
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkson451 View Post
I have been working on stat tracking apps for my own use so I wonder if the're will be csv and or sqldump. Also will there be scouting in the transition from college to pro anything can happen and its usually exposed good or bad in the combines will there be scouting features and or a combine? Also something about the attitudes of these players will they be cancers on a team?
There will be some reporting thing. No idea what format it will take currently.
Yes scouting will be good, and the combine results will heavily affect people's opinions of players.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:41 AM   #60
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Very good news on this game and as a long time high school coach I have a suggestion in this area that is used by coaches at most levels.

In addition to things like sacks allowed, knockdowns, etc is including a grading system for linemen. Basically this is an indicator of how often they complete their assignment on a given play.

So if a lineman is in the game for 20 plays and carries out his blocking assignment correctly 15 times he would grade out at 75%. Not sure if/how this would fit into the game mechanics but throwing it out there as a way to track O-Line performance.
Hello Lee. Yes OL play is something we need to think about. We could do something like a PFFF rating for OL, but I'm not sure yet.