Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 16 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:34 PM   #1
froghair
Minors (Single A)

Planning to not run out of players

This is really a question for OOTP 17 but vets of historical replays may have a handle on this and be able to guide me. I want to play with the whole universe of MLB and MiLB players in a random debut format but one where number of franchises and when the league grows, etc is on my timetable. So I will need to properly manage the number of teams, roster sizes and number of MiLB affiliates to last 130+ years. How do I set the numbers of incoming players (FA or draft) to match the attrition (retirement rate) so that rosters are stocked and minors are as full as I can make them without running out of players?

Make sense? I just want to be able to have my own timetable on changes like some minors in early days then maybe more teams when 1930s hit ... and earlier expansion past the longtime 16T number in MLB. The full minors of OOTP 17 will help but I want to wisely manage the total number of available players.
froghair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:43 PM   #2
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

I don't think historical minors will play well with random debut. They're probably mutually exclusive.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:24 PM   #3
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
I don't think historical minors will play well with random debut. They're probably mutually exclusive.
Yeah, it's not feasible right now. It should be when OOTP17 comes out with all those new players, but right now you're limited to somewhere around 18,500 players or so. It sounds like a lot but once you set up minor leagues you'll run out of players quite quickly. With the 157,400 minor league players that are being introduced in OOTP17 this should become much more doable.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:55 PM   #4
Izz
Hall Of Famer

I think froghair is asking about OOTP17 actually

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:31 AM   #5
froghair
Minors (Single A)

Yes, I am asking about OOTP17, and I probably don't have enough experience setting up random-debut leagues to ask this in a more clear way. Sorry.

But in 17, could a RD league be set up using all MLB players in history plus the 150k MiLB players? So that, for example, Moonlight Graham could pop up in the 1979 draft? (Basically, normal RD league but with a giant player pool.)
froghair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:00 PM   #6
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by froghair View Post
Yes, I am asking about OOTP17, and I probably don't have enough experience setting up random-debut leagues to ask this in a more clear way. Sorry.

But in 17, could a RD league be set up using all MLB players in history plus the 150k MiLB players? So that, for example, Moonlight Graham could pop up in the 1979 draft? (Basically, normal RD league but with a giant player pool.)
I believe so, but I haven't seen OOTP17 yet, so I can't know for certain. I don't yet know if the MLB and MiLB players are all together in 1 database or if they're separate or what's going on. I'll know in about 9 days or so whether this is possible or not. With random debut, you choose minimum and maximum years, so you can draw players from whenever up until 2015 if you choose. I believe Mr. Graham made his brief appearance in 1905, so your minimum year would have to be at least that, but you could take it all the way back to 1871 if you want to by selecting "No minimum".
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote