Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 16 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:08 AM   #81
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

You do have to load the schedule for some years and disable playoffs and allstar game after the AA folds.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:10 PM   #82
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

...And here come Bob Gibson, Jose Canseco, and Graig Nettles. Sweet.

Last edited by actionjackson; 02-16-2016 at 05:11 PM.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:01 PM   #83
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
...And here come Bob Gibson, Jose Canseco, and Graig Nettles. Sweet.
Nettles had a nice career for me. Retired as the career home run leader, but has since been passed.

I expanded my league from 14 to 16 teams and I'm now playing a 162 game schedule. I'm in 1985, but I stopped importing historical modifiers after the 84 season. So, like you I'm locked in 84 for the duration. I really wish OOTP allowed you to expand from 1 subleague to 2.

Last edited by David Watts; 02-16-2016 at 06:41 PM.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:17 PM   #84
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

I finally had someone reach the 3000 hit milestone. Rusty Staub did it first. Dave Parker second. Cobb at age 41 is like 90 hits away, but he simply can't stay healthy. He still hits like crazy when healthy, but that's only for short stretches.

What injury setting do you use?
Old 02-16-2016, 07:12 PM   #85
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I finally had someone reach the 3000 hit milestone. Rusty Staub did it first. Dave Parker second. Cobb at age 41 is like 90 hits away, but he simply can't stay healthy. He still hits like crazy when healthy, but that's only for short stretches.

What injury setting do you use?
I use High (Realistic Modern Day) for Injury Frequency, in combination with Position Player Fatigue set to Average. I find if I look at the hitters, they come pretty close to 1984 standards in terms of individual plate appearances from highest to lowest, and that's what I'm shooting for. Way more guys "went to the post" every day or nearly every day back then, and I think my settings best allow for that, but YMMV.

Last edited by actionjackson; 02-16-2016 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:17 PM   #86
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

I now have 3 3,000 Hit guys. Frank Robinson just retired with a staggering 3,578 Hits, Ken Griffey Sr. retired with 3,256 Hits and Tillie Shafer just went into the HoF with 3,022 Hits. The all-time HR leaderboard has Frank Robinson with a staggering 643 HR, and Dave Kingman and Darryl Strawberry are tied for 2nd all-time with 511. Griffey Sr. and Kingman will never get into my HoF if I have any say in the matter though. Just too one dimensional, albeit very good in that one dimension.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:22 PM   #87
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I use High (Realistic Modern Day) for Injury Frequency, in combination with Position Player Fatigue set to Average. I find if I look at the hitters, they come pretty close to 1984 standards in terms of individual plate appearances from highest to lowest, and that's what I'm shooting for. Way more guys "went to the post" every day or nearly every day back then, and I think my settings best allow for that, but YMMV.
I also space my schedule out as much as possible (i.e. none of this twenty games in a row nonsense and no doubleheaders), which could be helping things. I play 81 games in 91 days prior to the All-Star Break and 81 games post-All-Star Break in 88 days. The other three days are of course the All-Star Break itself. The days off are days off for every team, and on game days every team plays. It's just the easiest way to make a schedule that I know of.

Last edited by actionjackson; 02-16-2016 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:27 PM   #88
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Nettles had a nice career for me. Retired as the career home run leader, but has since been passed.

I expanded my league from 14 to 16 teams and I'm now playing a 162 game schedule. I'm in 1985, but I stopped importing historical modifiers after the 84 season. So, like you I'm locked in 84 for the duration. I really wish OOTP allowed you to expand from 1 subleague to 2.
1984's a damn good year to lock your stats output into. Pretty even keel. Looking forward to Nettles' career. Always thought he (along with many other 3B in history who were fantastic with the glove) got short changed when it came to Cooperstown.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:38 PM   #89
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

I was thinking of starting in 18871 with no min up to 1899 for random debut and then change it to 1900-2014 when i reach 1900. I was thinking that the19th players should not cross over into the 20th century much more than it did in real life but i could still have the random affect.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:30 PM   #90
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballMan View Post
I was thinking of starting in 18871 with no min up to 1899 for random debut and then change it to 1900-2014 when i reach 1900. I was thinking that the19th players should not cross over into the 20th century much more than it did in real life but i could still have the random affect.
It's hard to know what's the right thing to do. One thing that's certain is that the 19th century pitchers tend to dominate a bit in the 20th century. I don't know if I can mitigate that by doing what I do with 1984 LTMs, PCMs, and Strategy Settings for all seasons. On the other hand, I don't want to rule out the 19th century studs like Honus Wagner, Ross Barnes, Cy Young, Kid Nichols etc.

I've just thought of something that might complicate things for you. If you shrink the pool of players to 1871 through 1899 for those seasons, you may run into problems getting enough players for those seasons. If you remember when you start a straight historical in 1871, you start with 115 players, but with random debut, you'll be starting with 8 teams * 44 players per team = 352 players in the database.

I'm not sure what you'd have to limit your drafts to in order to survive through to 1899, but I know I prefer 5 rounds per draft. Whatever you do, it's going to be close, as there were only 2,191 players that came into all the professional leagues between 1871 and 1899. Between 1871 and 1881 there are 8 teams in the standard OOTP setup (your setup is different I know), and between 1882 and 1899 there are 16 teams, so let's say you have a 5 round draft. That's 11 drafts (1871-1881) where you need 40 players, which means you'd need 440 players on top of the original 352, which is 792 players. Then you have 18 drafts (1882-1899) where you need 80 players, which means you'd need 1,440 players plus the 792 is 2,232 players, which is beyond the total amount of players available, so now you're down to four round drafts, or your 1899 draft will only have 39 players in it. Follow what I'm saying or is it gibberish?

TL;DR: It's going to be a tight fit if you try to set it up the way you're proposing. Great idea to try to keep the 19th century guys to the 19th century though.

Last edited by actionjackson; 02-16-2016 at 10:42 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:02 PM   #91
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

I would like an active roster of say 15 and maybe a full roster of 18. Not sure how to keep the game from giving so many players to start with.
One thing that may be forgotten is that players. Like Cap Anson played along time. So it's not like I have to have a new player for every position. Also I would use tge actual schedules so I would only need what they needed in real life. As I run my other league it seems like there are a lot of players in the free agancy pool each year.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:07 PM   #92
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Is there anyway to have players drafted from any year but with their full career stats. Like not having Cy Young come in at 1872 with stats from 1890-1902 showing 351 wins. Looking to have Cy Young come in at 1872 with his full 512 wins and rated on his full career.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:59 PM   #93
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I would like an active roster of say 15 and maybe a full roster of 18. Not sure how to keep the game from giving so many players to start with.
One thing that may be forgotten is that players. Like Cap Anson played along time. So it's not like I have to have a new player for every position. Also I would use tge actual schedules so I would only need what they needed in real life. As I run my other league it seems like there are a lot of players in the free agancy pool each year.
At this time Random Debut provides a set number of players for the inaugural draft. There is no way to change this. The good thing is, after the 1st season, you can set how many players/rounds your rookie draft will consist of. So, if you have too many players to start, limit your first couple drafts.

Players in a random debut leagues import without (real) career stats. So even if Cy Young imports at age 35 for your inaugural draft, he will start with zero wins.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:02 PM   #94
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Is there anyway to have players drafted from any year but with their full career stats. Like not having Cy Young come in at 1872 with stats from 1890-1902 showing 351 wins. Looking to have Cy Young come in at 1872 with his full 512 wins and rated on his full career.
Like David Watts said, if he shows up in the inaugural draft, you won't get what you want. If he shows up in any other rookie draft, he'll be the fresh faced 23 year old (or sometimes even 22 year old, depending on your settings) that he was when he showed up in 1890 with the Cleveland Spiders. Regardless of what age he is in the inaugural draft, he will show 0 wins in his career because while the game treats him as if he has 13 years of service time (in your example) for the purposes of finances and the like, in your game he has yet to pitch so he has zero stats. Think of it as if he logged 13 years of service time somewhere else before he got to your league, but they didn't keep track of the stats too well. He gets credit for the years logged, but not the stats accrued. Capiche?

It is a bit of a bummer having all-time greats show up in your inaugural draft half way through their careers, but remember the void will always be filled by someone else. For example, Ken Griffey Jr. showed up in my inaugural draft at age 23, along with his dad who was also 23 (talk about strange happenings in the space-time continuum ). His dad proceeded to outplay him, and as a result neither one will be going to the HoF. Weird I know, but in the very same inaugural draft, a 20-year old second baseman named Tillie Shafer showed up. He of the four career seasons IRL with 212 career hits and a .273/.366/.360/.725 slash line, good for a 105 OPS+, and a 111 wRC+. He proceeded to put in a 25 year career with 3,022 hits and a .282/.372/.399/.772 slash line, good for a 119 OPS+ and a 121 wRC+, and just sailed into the HoF with 92.5% of the vote on the first ballot.

One very important note that I just remembered. You do not have the option to retire players when they retired IRL with random debut, so it's important if you play with recalc on to also play with player development on, otherwise guys might hang around forever, especially the ones who retired when they were still very good. I play with 3 year double weighted (for the current year) recalc, and default player development settings. Sometimes this results in ugly crashes, like what happened to Clayton Kershaw in my game after three straight Cy Youngs to start off. He absolutely crashed and burned. There's no other way to put it. Then again, you get to learn about nobodies who you never would've heard of, like Tillie Shafer, so there's good and bad to it.

Last edited by actionjackson; 02-17-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:46 PM   #95
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

I understand the age on the inaugural draft and I understand he may have 0 stats as he hasn't played a game yet. But is he being rated on his whole career or just portions? Another example is Honus Wagner comes in at 1871 and is showing stats for 1897-1902 in the real stats tab. So I'm wondering is he being rated on his whole career from 1897-1917 I believe it was or just 1897-1902?
Old 02-17-2016, 04:44 PM   #96
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I understand the age on the inaugural draft and I understand he may have 0 stats as he hasn't played a game yet. But is he being rated on his whole career or just portions? Another example is Honus Wagner comes in at 1871 and is showing stats for 1897-1902 in the real stats tab. So I'm wondering is he being rated on his whole career from 1897-1917 I believe it was or just 1897-1902?
Are you talking about the "Real Life Stats" tab? I've always seen the player's complete stat profile in this tab, but then again if I play with these 19th century guys I'm setting the boundaries from "No minimum" to "2014". Check that...I originally had my settings at "1901" through "2014" for this one, and Jesse Tannehill entered the inaugural draft as a 24 year old (which is the age he was in 1899 IRL, which is odd).

As for how a player is being rated, that depends on your "Historical Player Ratings" settings located on your League Settings > Historical Page. You can select 1 year, 3 year, or 5 year recalc, and you can double weight the current year if you select 3 or 5 years (Obviously don't need to if you select 1 year). Then you select "Real Stats" or "Neutralized Stats". When playing this "time machine" baseball, I recommend "Neutralized" but it is up to you. Then you can base potential ratings on "Selected Recalc Period Only", "Remaining Years of Career" (my choice), "Peak Seasons of Career", and "Remaining Peak Seasons". Then it's Base Rookie Fielding Ratings/Pitcher Stamina on "Current Season", "3-Year Period" (my choice), or "Entire Career". There are so many settings in this game. You really have to wade through them all in order to get exactly what you want. It's tricky, but doable.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:55 PM   #97
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Are you talking about the "Real Life Stats" tab? I've always seen the player's complete stat profile in this tab, but then again if I play with these 19th century guys I'm setting the boundaries from "No minimum" to "2014". Check that...I originally had my settings at "1901" through "2014" for this one, and Jesse Tannehill entered the inaugural draft as a 24 year old (which is the age he was in 1899 IRL, which is odd).

As for how a player is being rated, that depends on your "Historical Player Ratings" settings located on your League Settings > Historical Page. You can select 1 year, 3 year, or 5 year recalc, and you can double weight the current year if you select 3 or 5 years (Obviously don't need to if you select 1 year). Then you select "Real Stats" or "Neutralized Stats". When playing this "time machine" baseball, I recommend "Neutralized" but it is up to you. Then you can base potential ratings on "Selected Recalc Period Only", "Remaining Years of Career" (my choice), "Peak Seasons of Career", and "Remaining Peak Seasons". Then it's Base Rookie Fielding Ratings/Pitcher Stamina on "Current Season", "3-Year Period" (my choice), or "Entire Career". There are so many settings in this game. You really have to wade through them all in order to get exactly what you want. It's tricky, but doable.
Yes, something must behave in a different manner when it comes to starting in the 1800's. My real stats always show a players entire career.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:04 PM   #98
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes, something must behave in a different manner when it comes to starting in the 1800's. My real stats always show a players entire career.
It could also be the fact that I believe BaseballMan is taking only players with debuts from 1871 through 1899 for the 19th century portion of his game. I'm not sure what impact that would have (if any) on how the players are rated and what stats show up in the "Real Life Stats" tab. Wish I could help more than that.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:23 PM   #99
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Mine was based on career stats so I thought it would have a players complete stats in the real stats tab.
I was hoping the randomness would just be a players debut with all his real stats intact but it seems like its more like if you import player with rate player with rest of career on. Like importing Joe Dimaggio in 1947 this way instead of 1936 as a rookie.
I'd like to have him come in debut in say 1949 rated on his whole career.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:42 PM   #100
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Mine was based on career stats so I thought it would have a players complete stats in the real stats tab.
I was hoping the randomness would just be a players debut with all his real stats intact but it seems like its more like if you import player with rate player with rest of career on. Like importing Joe Dimaggio in 1947 this way instead of 1936 as a rookie.
I'd like to have him come in debut in say 1949 rated on his whole career.
So you aren't going to use recalc?