Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 16 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:23 PM   #21
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

1875 stats
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:25 PM   #22
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

More 1875 stats.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 02-01-2016, 11:37 PM   #23
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Looks like strikeouts seem a little off for 1875. I may have not checked the league totals. I thought i did on Jan 1st but maybe i should do it before opening day. I can rerun 1875 as a test but im going to keep going from here as my main goal is to proceed through 19th century play with actual rosters and it might confuse anyone checking the stats i have posted.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:56 AM   #24
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Changed my mind and redid 1875. Here are the new stats.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image Image 
Old 02-07-2016, 01:58 AM   #25
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

more 1875 stats
Attached Images
Old 02-07-2016, 02:01 AM   #26
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Not sure how i will handle the UA and PL. I may just not use them. Im not sure if i consider them true major leagues. Its kind of like considering the USFL on par with the NFL even though the USFL had some great players that went on to to star in the NFL.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:57 PM   #27
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

1876 stats. Spalding didnt win as much as he did in real life that season but he almost led the league in wins and batting avg. In fact Chicago had the top 3 in batting avg.
Here are the stats up to 1876.
Attached Images
Old 02-07-2016, 06:01 PM   #28
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

more 1876 stats.
Attached Images
Old 02-07-2016, 06:01 PM   #29
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

awards history
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 02-08-2016, 11:24 PM   #30
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

stats from 1877
Attached Images
Old 02-08-2016, 11:26 PM   #31
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Manager history. Wish there was a better way to do this.
Attached Images
Old 02-09-2016, 12:44 PM   #32
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballMan View Post
Not sure how i will handle the UA and PL. I may just not use them. Im not sure if i consider them true major leagues. Its kind of like considering the USFL on par with the NFL even though the USFL had some great players that went on to to star in the NFL.
The PL had enough great players to be arguably better than the NL in 1890. The UA's designation as a major league is a quirk of history. The best player in the league was Fred Dunlap, who was just another solid regular in the NL before and after his UA season.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:12 PM   #33
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

I'm just not sure if I can consider any league lasting less than 3 years a major league. Even though mlb does, my personal feeling is that they are not.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:35 PM   #34
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
The PL had enough great players to be arguably better than the NL in 1890. The UA's designation as a major league is a quirk of history. The best player in the league was Fred Dunlap, who was just another solid regular in the NL before and after his UA season.
Mr. Dunlap was far more than "just another solid regular" in the NL. From 1880 through 1885, he was the best 2B in the NL (by rWAR), except for a blip in 1883, when Jack Farrell was the best. The best 2B in his league for the first six years of his career (yes, including his crazy 1884 in the UA, but still, he was the best 2B in the league)? That's definitely better than a solid regular.

He formed one of the best early keystone combos with Jack Glasscock (yes tee-hee at the name and all that) on the Cleveland Blues and then the St. Louis Maroons. In fact, I'll go so far as to say, it's a damn shame he fell off a cliff after his age 27 season in 1886, or we might be talking about HoFer Fred Dunlap. He was on a HoF track over his first seven seasons, and unfortunately wasn't much from age 28 forward.

He finished his career with a 134 OPS+ and a 127 wRC+, which basically means he was anywhere from 27 to 34% above the average player offensively (i.e. very good), while playing (as far as we can tell from numbers from 130 years ago) excellent defense at an up the middle position. With a longer career (and I know, if ifs and buts were candies and nuts...), he could definitely have been in the HoF as a 2B. For reference, Robbie Cano has a 126 wRC+ so far and he was on a HoF track while with the Yankees. We'll see if he can get it back with the Mariners. 2014 was very good, 2015 not so much, but he was injured and ill for the first part of it and he played right through it, despite probably not helping his team much.

Last edited by actionjackson; 02-09-2016 at 07:00 PM.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:50 PM   #35
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Ill keep an eye on his career in this sim.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:24 PM   #36
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Mr. Dunlap was far more than "just another solid regular" in the NL. From 1880 through 1885, he was the best 2B in the NL (by rWAR), except for a blip in 1883, when Jack Farrell was the best. The best 2B in his league for the first six years of his career (yes, including his crazy 1884 in the UA, but still, he was the best 2B in the league)? That's definitely better than a solid regular.

He formed one of the best early keystone combos with Jack Glasscock (yes tee-hee at the name and all that) on the Cleveland Blues and then the St. Louis Maroons. In fact, I'll go so far as to say, it's a damn shame he fell off a cliff after his age 27 season in 1886, or we might be talking about HoFer Fred Dunlap. He was on a HoF track over his first seven seasons, and unfortunately wasn't much from age 28 forward.

He finished his career with a 134 OPS+ and a 127 wRC+, which basically means he was anywhere from 27 to 34% above the average player offensively (i.e. very good), while playing (as far as we can tell from numbers from 130 years ago) excellent defense at an up the middle position. With a longer career (and I know, if ifs and buts were candies and nuts...), he could definitely have been in the HoF as a 2B. For reference, Robbie Cano has a 126 wRC+ so far and he was on a HoF track while with the Yankees. We'll see if he can get it back with the Mariners. 2014 was very good, 2015 not so much, but he was injured and ill for the first part of it and he played right through it, despite probably not helping his team much.
Dunlap's OPS+ for eight years in the NL was 119, for his year in the AA it was 98, for his year in the UA it was 256, severely distorting all of the stats you listed in the above post. 119 is solid regular territory.

But my point is that the UA competition is not worthy of being called major league. Only Dunlap's St. Louis team bore even the slightest resemblance to a major league club.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:39 PM   #37
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

I believe the UA didn't last because the founder and owner of st.Louis put the best players on his team.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:36 PM   #38
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
Dunlap's OPS+ for eight years in the NL was 119, for his year in the AA it was 98, for his year in the UA it was 256, severely distorting all of the stats you listed in the above post. 119 is solid regular territory.

But my point is that the UA competition is not worthy of being called major league. Only Dunlap's St. Louis team bore even the slightest resemblance to a major league club.
My point still stands. Even a 119 OPS+ is HoF territory when you combine excellent defense at an up the middle position with it. Or are Roberto Alomar (116 OPS+), Ryne Sandberg (114 OPS+), Frankie Frisch (110 OPS+), and Craig Biggio (112 OPS+) merely solid regulars? Even the great Charlie Gehringer, probably the 5th greatest 2B of all-time only had a 124 OPS+. Then there are the ridiculous oversights like Lou Whitaker (117 OPS+), Bobby Grich (125 OPS+), and currently Jeff Kent (123 OPS+ with much worse defense than Dunlap).

I'm not saying Dunlap should be in the HoF. His career is far too short for that, as it sadly ended as a result of a broken leg incurred while sliding into a base in his age 32 season. But he was far more than just a solid regular, and he reportedly played excellent defense without the use of a glove. One of his nicknames was "King of Second Basemen" for cryin' out loud.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:07 PM   #39
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

1878 stats
Attached Images
Old 02-10-2016, 08:09 PM   #40
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

more 1878 stats