Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 07-19-2014, 09:52 PM   #1
Roy Tucker
Minors (Triple A)

Great OOTP Storyline: 498 wins and then...

Paul "Amazing" Parker has been my most consistent pitcher for years. I traded for him at the age of 29, but for his whole career he was in 20 all-star games. He received 13 Cy Young awards, the last one coming at age 42! Usually I end up trading pitchers or position players because they eventually fall off or are too inconsistent. By the way I have TCR at 200 and injuries at low.

At around the age of 43, I realized Parker had a chance at the unthinkable. 500 wins. Only one pitcher in baseball history has ever done it and soon I was thinking the Cy Young award would be renamed the Paul Parker award.

For some perspective, my league is in the year 2070 and only three other pitchers have 300 wins with a high of 331. Parker was something special.

Then at the age of 44 he suffered a torn flexor tendon in his elbow and would be out 14 months. The guy who had only missed a handful of starts in his whole career would be out at least a year. Maybe more.

When he suffered the injury he was a mere 29 wins away from history. I feared it could be a career ender. The age, the severity of the injury. He was probably done for. Halfway through the following season he comes back. I put him on a strict pitch count fearful of another injury. He no longer is a strikeout machine. His strikeout rate falls in half. But he wins. And his ERA looks good. He goes 11-5. Leaving him a mere 18 wins shy of 500 at the age of 46.

My team the following year is loaded , but Parker can't seem to buy a win. Even though my team is in first, by July Parker has suffered two minor injuries and only has 6 wins at the break. Then he goes on a hot streak. Pumping out win after win after win. He is up to 16 wins in late September. He needs two more wins and he has just two more starts to do it. Disaster strikes. He can't get past the 5th inning in either start, giving up hit after hit and taking a loss and a no decision.

I have no playoffs, so after the season, it is straight to the World Series. Even though Parker was hit hard his final two starts, I give him the ball for game 1. After all he has a 3.13 era and years of experience. Parker looks lost out there. He gets lit up for 7 runs in just three innings and takes the loss. Parker redeems himself and wins game 4 with guts and guile. He doesn't get any strikeouts, but the other team is unable to make good contact with the ball and he pitches 7 strong innings to get the win. It is a hard fought series that goes to a 7th game. We are at home. Parker gets the start. Neither team can score. Parker is pitching great, but finally in the 8th inning he runs out of gas and gives up a run before being pulled. He leaves the game losing 1-0. A solo home run from my team ties it up in the ninth and in extras we go. My relief pitching doesn't hold up and Parker despite a tremendous effort gets a no-decision and my team loses the World Series.

A disappointing ending to the season to be sure, but next year is full of hope because Parker is just two wins shy of getting 500 wins and he is under contract for another year. Then I check my email. Paul Parker has retired.

Paul Parker, 2 wins shy of 500, decides to retire so he can pursue his PhD at Harvard. I think to myself just go into commissioner mode and let him pitch another year so he can get 500. But I can't. The story is just too rich and fascinating to dismiss. Here is a guy who willingly forgoes a milestone to pursue higher learning. Here is a guy whose final game is 8 innings one run in game 7 of the world series , not getting the win, not getting the championship and he willingly walks away from that. Does this mean there is more to life than baseball? That can't be. This is a story I will always remember. It is unfair, heartbreaking and I wouldn't have it any other way. Here is to you Paul Parker. You were truly amazing.

Last edited by Roy Tucker; 07-19-2014 at 09:54 PM.
Roy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:57 PM   #2
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Great stuff Roy! And an incredible pitcher!
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:02 PM   #3
pgjocki
All Star Starter

Awesome story...now where is the disable storylines crowd?
Old 07-19-2014, 10:24 PM   #4
Roy Tucker
Minors (Triple A)

Thanks for liking my post guys. Really appreciate it, mainly cause I have nobody else to tell this stuff to

Looking over his stats, I wish I had the year 2055 back. He went 12-22 that year because about 1/4 of the way through the year, I realized my roster aged about 10 years in 6 months and that I had no chance of winning it all (remember I have no wild cards) so I blew up the whole team got a bunch of prospects that helped for later years, but in the process I won about 60 games that year when I probably had a team that was good for about 75 wins if I left things alone, which certainly meant more wins for Parker.

Alas!
Old 07-19-2014, 10:35 PM   #5
Klew1986
Hall Of Famer

I just read the OP and my heart sunk. Courageous on his part to retire 2 wins short, but wow, what a career.
Klew1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:26 AM   #6
Marinersfan51
All Star Reserve

What kind of aging settings are you playing on? The fact that he was still around and kicking at 46 is impressive in and of itself.
Marinersfan51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:21 AM   #7
tejdog1
All Star Starter

41 starts a season? 4 man rotations?
How I turn my head and lose it all

And it's unnerving
How just one move puts me by myself
There you go just trusting someone else
Now I know I put us both through hell

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Everyone knows it's spelled "TRAID", not trade
tejdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:35 AM   #8
Roy Tucker
Minors (Triple A)

Yes, I have 4 man rotations. And apparently I have .374 aging, which is quite extreme, possibly even insane. But I believe having TCR at 200 balances a lot of this out. Most players in my league flame out in their late 30s. Even with the insane aging and 4 man rotations I only have 4 pitchers total with 300 or more wins in 60 or so seasons.

TCR turns most players into Brett Saberhagen or Paul Konerko over their career. Good, but highly unpredictable which made Parker's consistency even more amazing.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:28 AM   #9
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klew1986 View Post
I just read the OP and my heart sunk. Courageous on his part to retire 2 wins short, but wow, what a career.
How is that courageous? Idiotic, yes...but courageous?......

I think it was cowardly.....he retired because every other pitcher that ever won 500 games is dead.....
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:34 AM   #10
LloydLungs
Minors (Single A)

Haha... that's a fantastic story, and being from the New Orleans area it is extra amusing to me because this guy is from Chalmette, LA. Trust me, I'm pretty sure 98% of Chalmette has never heard of Harvard let alone have the ability to go there for a PhD. Way to represent Da Parish, Paul!
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:20 AM   #11
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Great post! It's nice that in 50 years they will have finally figured out this whole tommy john thing.

I hear you about not being able to talk about this stuff to anyone. I try to talk to my wife about it and her eyes glaze over. My other friends are more interested in call of duty or halo. I need new friends lol
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:36 AM   #12
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgjocki View Post
Awesome story...now where is the disable storylines crowd?

Right here. I don't like them. I'd bring him back. Awesome story though.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:37 AM   #13
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud4579 View Post
Right here. I don't like them. I'd bring him back. Awesome story though.
Just curious, why don't you like them?
Old 07-20-2014, 09:37 AM   #14
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
Yes, I have 4 man rotations. And apparently I have .374 aging, which is quite extreme, possibly even insane. But I believe having TCR at 200 balances a lot of this out. Most players in my league flame out in their late 30s. Even with the insane aging and 4 man rotations I only have 4 pitchers total with 300 or more wins in 60 or so seasons.

TCR turns most players into Brett Saberhagen or Paul Konerko over their career. Good, but highly unpredictable which made Parker's consistency even more amazing.

I've never tried 200 but I like that idea...have to try that.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:56 AM   #15
JohnHoward
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post
Haha... that's a fantastic story, and being from the New Orleans area it is extra amusing to me because this guy is from Chalmette, LA. Trust me, I'm pretty sure 98% of Chalmette has never heard of Harvard let alone have the ability to go there for a PhD. Way to represent Da Parish, Paul!
Agreed. Being the first person from St. Bernard Parish with a PhD from Harvard is much more impressive than 500 wins. Bet you he comes back home to be the president of Nunez Community College.
JohnHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:57 AM   #16
JohnHoward
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
Just curious, why don't you like them?
We are not supposed to tell you, sorry.
JohnHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:58 AM   #17
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHoward View Post
We are not supposed to tell you, sorry.
what the hell does that mean?
Old 07-20-2014, 10:34 AM   #18
Ike348
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
what the hell does that mean?

It means that any mention of storylines would spark a huge debate that most have us have seen way more than we should have. Better to just not mention it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike348 View Post
Even in a parallel universe, the Astros don't make the playoffs.
Ike348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:36 AM   #19
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike348 View Post
It means that any mention of storylines would spark a huge debate that most have us have seen way more than we should have. Better to just not mention it at all.
The way he said it makes it sound like I'm not privy to the conversation.

And what's wrong with debating. One should never shy away from strong opinions.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:59 AM   #20
mm7607
All Star Reserve

I don't like story lines just from the repetitiveness. After a few thousand games the lines start to repeat with only the names changed.

But I don't think anyone not experiencing a career injury would ever retire with 498 wins. Go to comish mode and un-retire him and let him get his 500 wins. You will feel better later.
mm7607 is offline   Reply With Quote