Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 11-25-2019, 03:54 PM   #1
GeoWar
All Star Reserve

Major League Baseball and plans for Minor Leagues

The Professional Baseball Agreement (PBA) between Major League Baseball and minor league teams expires at the end of the 2020 season. But if a new MLB proposal were to become reality, more than three dozen cities with affiliated minor league teams will lose those teams a year from now and thousands of minor league players will be out of work as well.
"From the perspective of MLB clubs, our principal goals are upgrading the minor league facilities that we believe have inadequate standards for potential MLB players, improving the working conditions for MiLB players, including their compensation, improving transportation and hotel accommodations, providing better geographic affiliations between major league clubs and their affiliates, as well as better geographic lineups of leagues to reduce player travel."
Under the proposal, some teams would have to shed as many as 100 players from their current MiLB rosters. The Yankees currently field eight U.S. minor league affiliates, which means they can currently have as many as 285 players under contract. Under this proposal, they would have to drop as many as 135 players to meet the new restrictions. Right now, there are no restrictions on how many teams—and, therefore, how many players—a team can field. Under this proposal, all MLB teams would be limited to the same number of teams and players.
**** from article -- https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...-league-teams/

**** It may create a larger pool of talent for small market teams -- for Independent league teams ect.. But it would also mean that players who develop later in careers might not be in organized baseball.

What are thoughts ?

Texas Longhorns -- NCAA Champion - Baseball 2005

Oregon State Beavers -- NCAA Champion - Baseball 2006 and 2007

With unity comes VICTORY !
GeoWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 05:54 PM   #2
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoWar View Post
It may create a larger pool of talent for small market teams -- for Independent league teams ect.. But it would also mean that players who develop later in careers might not be in organized baseball.
It might also created a larger pool of available cities for the independent leagues. If, say, a city were dropped by official MiLB because of substandard facilities, but those facilities are still good enough for indy leagues, and the fan base is there to a degree, wouldn't that city be a prime candidate for an indy league?

And, of that talent pool of additional players, might that also make for more opportunities for indy leagues to move into new cities that might be ideal for them, but not available to official MiLB because of MLB territorial rights? (It's my understanding that the more-successful indy leagues have several teams that do well within the MLB teams' territories.)
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:04 PM   #3
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Getting rid of minor league teams in Lakeland, Tampa, Dunedin, Clearwater, and Bradenton will not save the Rays.
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 09:44 AM   #4
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Previous posters have covered what I entered this thread to say: I believe such changes will be highly advantageous to independent leagues because there is enough interest in local baseball (in many areas, at least) and enough money floating around (which will paradoxically be attracted to less costly alternatives).

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:30 PM   #5
John Madden
Major Leagues

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Keep the Saints independent!
John Madden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 10:30 AM   #6
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

Well, the ante was upped last night it seems.
Cooleyvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 01:25 PM   #7
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

As someone who always trims down the amount of minor league teams when I play OOTP, not sure I can decry MLB too much for their stance
ezpkns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:46 AM   #8
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezpkns34 View Post
As someone who always trims down the amount of minor league teams when I play OOTP, not sure I can decry MLB too much for their stance
Same for me. I always reduce my minors in my OOTP games. I'm good with A,AA,AAA.

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 01:31 PM   #9
bertha
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Tagged, this seems like a very interesting thread
bertha is offline   Reply With Quote