Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 12-09-2016, 12:32 PM   #1
BleedCubbieBlue12
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Newbie needing some help.

Hey guys!

A couple of questions ..

New to this all, and just wondering how you guys play your games at the very beginning..

Do you guys play every game or sim through a lot of it until key games?

When playing a game, first question is; batting.. Is there a lot of difference in taking a pitch, rather than just doing "swing away" every time, or hitting the space bar to auto the at bat? Any info on that would be great.

With Pitching; There's Pitch at, Pitch around, Pitch to contact.. now, in my eyes,
  • Pitch around would be used on main hitters, like power hitters?
  • Pitch at is just a general pitch
  • Pitch to contact would be if people are on base, say first base and you want to turn a double play, is that right? Info on that would be amazing too..

And just a few more things (sorry I'm a pain);

I had a season underway, but I am going to start a new one as I have a few queries and things I want to change/try..

• With my 25 man roster and 40 man roster, if I have a guy who is coming off of the DL, and I want to put him into the active roster, is there a way to take a guy from the 25 man active roster and just keep him in the 40 man roster, to be able to make room for said player coming off of the DL?
  • How does the MiL work with their ratings (Say people have a prospect rating of 5 stars and they're currently only on one/two stars) and they're either in AAA or AA and they're around 18-21 years old, how do you get their ratings up closer to their potential?
  • Any way to get the best out of your star players, eg, Bryant, Rizzo, Baez for the Cubs?
Anything else you think a Newbie like myself would find extremely useful would be appreciated too.

Sorry for the rather long post, if you guys could help with even one of the questions asked, I'd be very grateful.

Regards,
Nick.
BleedCubbieBlue12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:11 PM   #2
GoPedro99
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedCubbieBlue12 View Post
Hey guys!

A couple of questions ..

New to this all, and just wondering how you guys play your games at the very beginning..

When playing a game, first question is; batting.. Is there a lot of difference in taking a pitch, rather than just doing "swing away" every time, or hitting the space bar to auto the at bat? Any info on that would be great.

With Pitching; There's Pitch at, Pitch around, Pitch to contact.. now, in my eyes,
  • Pitch to contact would be if people are on base, say first base and you want to turn a double play, is that right? Info on that would be amazing too..

I had a season underway, but I am going to start a new one as I have a few queries and things I want to change/try..

• With my 25 man roster and 40 man roster, if I have a guy who is coming off of the DL, and I want to put him into the active roster, is there a way to take a guy from the 25 man active roster and just keep him in the 40 man roster, to be able to make room for said player coming off of the DL?
  • How does the MiL work with their ratings (Say people have a prospect rating of 5 stars and they're currently only on one/two stars) and they're either in AAA or AA and they're around 18-21 years old, how do you get their ratings up closer to their potential?
  • Any way to get the best out of your star players, eg, Bryant, Rizzo, Baez for the Cubs?
Anything else you think a Newbie like myself would find extremely useful would be appreciated too.

Sorry for the rather long post, if you guys could help with even one of the questions asked, I'd be very grateful.

Regards,
Nick.
For how I play games it depends on how I feel like it, how my team is. Different situations.
ratings for prospects develop with playing time.
To get the best out of players. I'd suggest setting each players strategy instead of just team strategy
GoPedro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:17 PM   #3
BleedCubbieBlue12
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPedro99 View Post
For how I play games it depends on how I feel like it, how my team is. Different situations.
ratings for prospects develop with playing time.
To get the best out of players. I'd suggest setting each players strategy instead of just team strategy
Hi Pedro,

Thanks for the reply, what can you do with a players "strategy", tell them to hit contact, or go for power kind of thing? And, how would I go about doing this?

Thanks.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:26 PM   #4
DJP53916
Minors (Double A)

Hope this helps.

I'll put my answers in bold to have them stand out for you.

Quote:
Hey guys!

A couple of questions ..

I don't typically play through every game. I tend to sim no more than a week at a time, though. My team is in rebuild mode, so I have intentionally slowed my pace of play, focus my attention on my minor league system, independent leagues, etc.

Taking a pitch for me has led to slight upticks in both walks and strikeouts. Swing away tends to result in more contact, but there are still enough walks and strikeouts as far as I am concerned. I pretty much just select whatever based on my mood and gut feeling at that moment.

Pretty much, yeah. You could also use pitch around when you have a situation like first base open, and you want to set up a double play scenario, but you don't necessarily want to just intentionally walk the batter.

Yes. As long as the player still has minor league options remaining, you can demote that player to the minors to make room for your returning player. I do tend to send my recovering players out for a full rehab assignment, especially if my likely to demote player is playing well. Since you are playing a team in win now mode, this may not be of interest to you.

Pretty random. If the player with a higher potential rating plays well as he climbs the ladder, the current rating will move towards the potential rating.

There isn't a lot you can do, however, if you give them regular playing time, and defensively they are at positions that they can play, the numbers should take care of themselves over time. There is some degree of randomness in play (just like real life).

Pay attention to your minor league system, unless you don't care about that part of your team. Give your assistant GM some tasks he can focus on for you, so you can concentrate on the areas of running a team you personally care about more. Let your manager and/or bench coach set the lineup, rotation, and bullpen. Let your minor league staff set their lineups, rotations, and bullpens.

If you have independent leagues enabled, don't forget to keep an eye on those players. Rarely will you find a player that will interest you, but it can happen.

Early in the season, have your trade settings at the lowest frequencies, and adjust upwards as you move towards the deadline.

When you do the draft, unless you see a player on the board you just have to have, follow your scouting director's suggestions.

If you're looking to make trades, I like the shop a player feature. You're going to be offered players as a one-for-one deal, but if you think the player you are offering helps a team, and you think that team has someone you are interested in, discuss a trade anyways, even if you don't like the initial offer. Same for if you get emailed a trade proposal. I discuss every offer I'm emailed, even if the offer is crap, because I may find some other deal with that team.

With trades, no matter how tempting it is to try to "win" a trade, try to keep them as "fair" as possible. No, the other 29 teams won't remember if you screw them over, but if you load up your team at the expense of a rival by screwing them over, it can make the game become boring. Good rule of thumb, just like real life, is "would I make this trade if I was the other team?" Your answer to that question should guide you well when you make an offer.

Regards,
Nick.
Also, there is a forum here for newbies to ask questions as well. Feel free to look around that forum as well, because you may also find other questions others have had, and they may be similar to or exactly the same questions you have/had.

Long story short. There really isn't a "wrong" way to play this game. You can do pretty much whatever you want. No, not everything will necessarily turn out the way you hoped and planned each season, because baseball, but there's just so many different ways to play, you should find a way you enjoy no problem.
DJP53916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:47 PM   #5
BleedCubbieBlue12
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJP53916 View Post
I'll put my answers in bold to have them stand out for you.

Also, there is a forum here for newbies to ask questions as well. Feel free to look around that forum as well, because you may also find other questions others have had, and they may be similar to or exactly the same questions you have/had.

Long story short. There really isn't a "wrong" way to play this game. You can do pretty much whatever you want. No, not everything will necessarily turn out the way you hoped and planned each season, because baseball, but there's just so many different ways to play, you should find a way you enjoy no problem.
That's perfect man! It's a great start to help me out, thanks a lot for your time and effort bud.

What is "Shop a Player" by the way?

Last edited by BleedCubbieBlue12; 12-09-2016 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:48 PM   #6
DJP53916
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
That's perfect man! It's a great start to help me out, thanks a lot for your time and effort bud.
You're welcome.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2016, 01:53 PM   #7
BleedCubbieBlue12
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJP53916 View Post
You're welcome.

Sorry, edited it a bit too late for you to see haha..

What is "Shop a Player"?
Old 12-09-2016, 01:55 PM   #8
DJP53916
Minors (Double A)

If you go the the trade tab, you will see a tab for shop a player.

Just click and drag the name of a player you want to shop up the the box, and you'll receive some offers if anyone is interested in him.

Old 12-09-2016, 04:08 PM   #9
TuckerDuckson
Major Leagues

Here's your ultimate guy pal. Answers are in bold like the last guy.

Quote:
Hey guys!

A couple of questions ..

Playing through every game is a difficult and takes a long time, so I sim most of my games. The games I play are either, A.) a hyped prospect debut and I sim through the entire game pitch by pitch. (This is the only time I go pitch by pitch. B.) A prospective pitchers battle, ace v. ace. Makes for some very competitive and fun games watching two vets duking it out on the turf. C.) When I feel like it. It's subjective. If I feel like simming I sim, but if I feel like playing it out I play it out.

Also, I always play in 3D, it catches the essence of the game for me

No difference between the swing away and space bar. Take a pitch is only effective with guys with high "eye" ratings. Statistically I believe that it will increase their walks.

Pitch around is again subjective, guys with higher "eye" ratings are more likely to draw a walk off of the pitch around rather than a guy with a poor rating. (thats how baseball works usually). I would rather intentonially walk a power hitter and going to a less effective hitter than pitching around him.

Pitch at is a general pitch you are correct.

Pitch to contact is an interesting pitch option. Yes, it's used for when runners are on base to turn two. But it can also be used with a runner at third with a pulled in infield to trick that runner into running into an out at the plate. Pitch to contact is very good against extreme pull hitters since you can easily get them to bat into your shifts, which equates into more outs.

The only way to get a 25 man off the roster while keeping his 40 man spot is it either: A.) option him to the minors or B.) place him on the DL. There is no way to get a player off the 25 man without getting him off the 40 man outside of these options.

MiLB ratings are not all static. There are always 5 star potentials in rookie and there will always be the same potential in triple A. What matters is their current ratings. (Contact, Power, Stuff, Movement etc.) Those are what determine the players standing in the organization. If their current ratings are higher than another player they get promoted faster.

The best way to get the most out of your players is to have a fun clubhouse chemistry. Have a jokester, at least 2 charismatic leaders and no clubhouse cancers. You can check their potion on this scale on their player pages.

Also, have them bat in the correct positions. I.e bat Bryant 3, Rizzo 4, Baez 5 for maximum run potential.

Don't be fooled by "stud" pitchers in the draft when 1 or more of their pitches current rating is red or less. These guys always pan out to relievers no matter what in my experience. So that stud you could have taken 15th overall will just become an over drafted long reliever.

Regards,
Nick.

Plays legit baseball now. My OOTP ratings are low.

2022 update: I'm two stars!
TuckerDuckson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:35 PM   #10
stephenk24
Minors (Rookie Ball)

These tips and tricks are really helpful for me too. I'm still new to OOTP and management games. Thanks guys.
stephenk24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:26 AM   #11
Will_Carey
Bat Boy

Hail To The Chief...

If you haven't turned over your life to our lord and savior, Greg Maddux, now would be the time. Pardon the interruption and thank you for your time. You may now continue what ever it was you were doing.
-Greg "Mad Dog" Maddux, Tom Glavine, John Smoltz... 14 consecutive N.L. East pennants... Bobby Cox... Go Braves.
(Yep, that was the good ol' days.)
Will_Carey is offline   Reply With Quote