Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 12-10-2019, 06:46 PM   #1
Fenixdown
Minors (Double A)

Has anyone else quit bothering with tournaments?

I'm curious if I'm the only person who's decided to just stop even wasting my time signing up for tournament play.

- 80% of them have garbage payouts
- the 20% that don't either a. take a year to fill, b. have cookie cutter comps and if you don't copy pasta them you lose, or c. are open tournaments and you'd lose to someone's full 100 OVR historical only roster

I feel there's a lot of cards that need some hardcore nerfs in future iterations of the game in order to make tournament play a bit more fun for the collective masses and not just an additional "give us lots of your money or enjoy losing" mode. Especially in the gold and silver levels. Every team that wins is all high contact/low power dead ball hitters, middle defense of triple digits, and 89 OVR starters that are all historicals like Greg Maddux (how the hell he's gold level is beyond me...). Silver isn't much better, it's the exact same comps just lower OVRs since they're all, well, silvers. And now since these cards are "IWIN" buttons, they've practically quintupled in their sell values, meaning if you want to even stand a chance, you have no choice but to shell out a huge wad of cash or tank and hope you don't get caught. I really don't want to sell all of my cards just to afford to play in tournaments, and that's exactly what they feel like right now. Heck, we even have a thread in this forum asking if that's acceptable under the ToS! How freaking sad is that?

Am I just a weirdo, or does anyone else think similarly? What could be done to fix this in '21, if anything at all?
Fenixdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:04 PM   #2
Abnerdoubleday
Minors (Triple A)

Getting there...
Abnerdoubleday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:27 PM   #3
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

so any suggestions for better payouts for the 80%?

not sure how gold/silver tourneys are "give us lots of money or you lose"... haven't spent anything on my teams... my pre-ww2 theme team has won 36 tourneys (most of them gold level)... with the one-and-done/best of 3-5-7 formats, it's all a crapshoot like the post season of the regular PT play... I run into a lot of the same teams in the tourneys I sign up for... some times I get a broom pushing me out the door; other times I come out on top...
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:29 PM   #4
daves
Hall Of Famer

I was in a couple 64 team and 128 team tourneys. I actually get to open more packs and won a rare Molina card. Tournament mode has added much beyond the (wait for Sunday when the weekend is near over for results) weekly leagues. If you don't want to wait for the large tournaments there are plenty of quick tournaments.

Last edited by daves; 12-10-2019 at 09:31 PM.
daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:15 PM   #5
Thundercrack
All Star Reserve

It’s not as engaging as I thought it would be, tbh. Others seem to be enjoying it though.
Thundercrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:16 PM   #6
allenciox
All Star Reserve

I love tournament play. Without tournaments, essentially you are building one 25-man team throughout entire year.... can you say, "Boriiiing". With tournaments, we can build a whole bunch of different teams and try out different strategies with each one.

Also loving opening packs every evening. used to be, I would get one pack for each team every three days (challenge mode packs). Now I get to open packs every night.

allenciox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:43 PM   #7
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I'm not really using tournaments anymore. Probably haven't given them enough focus but kinda got tired of never making it past the second round.

However, I am appreciative that all the extra packs entering the economy might be helping balance prices out in the AH.

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Izz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:23 AM   #8
dbqs
Major Leagues

I'm liking tourneys. After completing almost 100 I've pretty much given up on any of the remaining collections that seem a lil too far off - now I'm just focusing on getting the best cards possible for gold/silver/bronze levels, it's fun.

dbqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:52 AM   #9
Guancous
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I loved OOTP for managing my franchise each year.

Now you can manage your franchise when you're in between managing three Perfect teams and nine tournaments.

You're not going to win every tournament. You'll probably lose over 87% of 32 person tournaments, no matter how strong your team.

Celebrate when you win. Shrug it off when you lose. Enjoy the box scores. Just like real baseball.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:05 AM   #10
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

I haven't played one since the first week or so. I got tired of signing up for tournaments that never happened. Spending most of the day at my computer to chase 250pp at a time does not appeal to me either. I will try it again in the next version.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:29 AM   #11
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack View Post
It’s not as engaging as I thought it would be, tbh.
This is me, more or less. It doesn't help much that it is very difficult to wade through building a team from a deep collection of cards. The roster management tools are extremely unwieldy in this regard, especially with no easy way to either deactivate multiple cards quickly or activate new eligible cards when you already have well over 200. Team building will always be fun, but OOTP tries very hard to not let it be. This is why I haven't built very many teams, and those I have built were organized offline before exposing myself to the time crunch of starting tournaments.

The best part is that I've been getting enough packs to scratch that particular itch without actually buying any. I will always value the auction house's efficiency more, but it can still be fun to play the lottery, especially when the tickets are free.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:31 AM   #12
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

It would definitely be a lot better if I didn't have to activate every single card just to look at their defense or rating splits
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:05 AM   #13
Lemandria
All Star Reserve

Not as serious about it, but I'm still getting wins in my niches.

They're just really tiny niches.

Sadly, they're more fun than PeL is. But then, so is a visit to the dentist.

The game ends at Diamond, ya'll.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:12 AM   #14
sharknut
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenciox View Post
I love tournament play. Without tournaments, essentially you are building one 25-man team throughout entire year.... can you say, "Boriiiing".
A year? You mean a week.

sharknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:58 AM   #15
dancariaz
Minors (Triple A)

I still like the tourneys. I'd just change the silver dailies from 64 to 128 man cause they're always full like 10 hours before they actually start.

F2P Team
dancariaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:10 AM   #16
Lemandria
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancariaz View Post
I still like the tourneys. I'd just change the silver dailies from 64 to 128 man cause they're always full like 10 hours before they actually start.
[sarcasm]But but but....128s are only for whales! We never considered that the plebs might want to play, too.[/sarcasm]

I agree. Certain "low level" brackets have far more customer interest than their premeire games.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:29 AM   #17
neugey
All Star Reserve

I think tournaments - and PT mode in general - would benefit greatly from a host of UI improvements. Such as simply being able to see how your 3 tourney teams are doing (their record, which round they are in) without having to click into each one. Hopefully improvements like these are coming in 21.

PBA - Cincinnati Reds
MLM - Baltimore Orioles
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:49 AM   #18
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

I do enter tournaments, but I am not having my entire day revolve around entering as many as possible.

Also, there is a certain tedium to following the activities of all your teams when they are also in tournaments. It's surely entirely too late for this version, but for 21 my wet dream would be an all-in-one screen with six tabs, three at the top and three at the bottom, that show all your teams and how they a) do in their league and division, their PP total, their packs, their collections, their auctions; and b) which tournaments they are in, which round it is, when each tournament sims again etc.; having to change back and forth between accounts all the time is incredibly tedious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
It would definitely be a lot better if I didn't have to activate every single card just to look at their defense or rating splits
I'll do you one better. Is that a lefty or a righty pitcher?

We MUST get to a point where the little pop-up box with the guy's base info also pops in the inactive player list because I can't wrap my numb skull around which paw the 500 gold-and-below pitchers that I have use to throw the ball badly.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.

Last edited by Westheim; 12-11-2019 at 08:53 AM.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #19
Lemandria
All Star Reserve

And I think, eventually, they're going to have to do something about that 200 roster limit.

It's currently just really annoying, but if you intend to field several categories of tourneys from a single-team base, it will be downright criminal.

Last edited by Lemandria; 12-11-2019 at 10:49 AM.
Lemandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:53 AM   #20
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

I don't know what you mean. 200 seems like way too many in the first place, I never have more than like 5 guys on reserve lol.

Every tournament can have its own roster based on your entire player collection, you just have to activate them.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote