Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > iOOTP Baseball > iOOTP - General Discussions

iOOTP - General Discussions Talk about iOOTP Baseball, the baseball management simulation for iPhone/iPod/iPad

Old 04-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
Bensufc
Bat Boy

This is going to sound stupid...

I love sports management simulations and found this on the App Store so thought I would give it a try. But being from England I know nothing about baseball so even though the game looks great, I'm struggling to get started. I mean I don't even know how many players of each position I need in the draft.

Is there any guide or would anyone be willing to teach me a little about the game to get me going. The manual seems to presume that you already kid of understand baseball which i don't hahah.

Any help would be great. Cheers
Bensufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #2
TDF
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensufc View Post
I love sports management simulations and found this on the App Store so thought I would give it a try. But being from England I know nothing about baseball so even though the game looks great, I'm struggling to get started. I mean I don't even know how many players of each position I need in the draft.

Is there any guide or would anyone be willing to teach me a little about the game to get me going. The manual seems to presume that you already kid of understand baseball which i don't hahah.

I'm not a huge baseball fan, but here are the basics:

9 Innings Per Game
Each team gets to bat once per inning
A team's batting ends after three outs, then the other team takes over.
The pitcher throws the ball towards the batter, and the batter has to hit it (Like Cricket, I think).
The batter hits the ball and has to run around the bases. They may stop at any of the bases. Most batters only get to first before stopping. They then are base runners, not batters. There may be only 1 runner on a base at a time. So if a runner is on 1st Base, they must attempt to run to 2nd if there is a hit.

Outs can be made:
- 3 Strikes (3 good pitches that the batter does not swing at)
- Catching a hit in the air
- Tagging a runner
- Having an outfielder posses a ball and step on a base that a runner is running to

The outfielders consist of:
Left Field
Center Field
Right Field
(These three play deep)
1st Base
2nd Base
3rd Base
(Play on the base)
SS
(Plays between 2nd and 3rd)
C
(Plays behing home plate)

For each game, you need 8 outfielders (Basically Defense) and 1 Starting Pitcher. The Starting Pitcher (SP) will stop pitching around the 6th inning, and will be replaced by 2-3 more pitchers. The outfielders are almost never switched, unless there is an injury.

So your 25 man roster should probably have about:
12 outfielders (At least 1 of each position. Probably want at least 2 extra Fs, and 2 extra basemen)
13 pitchers (About 5 starters, the rest should be MR or CL)

Hope that helped!
TDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
Bensufc
Bat Boy

Smile

Thanks a lot
That has helped, think I have got the basics and can give it all a go now! Thanks
Old 04-07-2013, 09:48 AM   #4
phillupi
All Star Reserve

You will find very helpful, baseball loving people on this forum. Just ask and you will get good input. Also check the Internet for baseball rules and strategies. There is a great deal of free info available. Try Wiki also.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
phillupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
Bensufc
Bat Boy

Good to know that there are people willing to help. Okay well I have another question. (sorry if this is a bit hard to understand...)

Like on the league standings it says W and L and PCT, I thought W and L would stand for wins and losses but I have W 2 ns L 5 but I have only played one match, could someone help me out with what it means and also what does PCT stand for?

And finally before I bore you all to death with things that are so basic haha;
during a match I see you have nine innings. and within those nine innings somes times it says 1 or 0 for that inning, what does that represent?
And very finally the players have stats for various things like AB, R, H, RBI, BB, K, LOB, AVG, HR, RBI... what do they stand for?

Im sorry if I sound dumb here, really want to get to grips with everything cos the game looks really in depth and want to try and play it well.

Any help pm these queries would really be appreciated again. Cheers guys!
Old 04-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
MorseMoose
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/1 (1)
Hmmmm...

I wonder if you clicked "Finish the week"?

W - Win
L - Loss
PCT - Win Percent (Wins/(Wins+Losses))

So, for you, it would be 2-5 with a PCT of .286

==

1 or 0 might refer to the number of runs you scored? Might refer to outs, Strikes or Balls?

==

AB = At bats. Times a player comes up to bat
R = Runs. Number of points/runs a player has scored
H = Hits. Number of times the player has hit the ball and gotten on base
RBI = Runs batted In. Number of runs the player has been at bat when his team scored
BB = Base on Balls. Walks. 4 balls results in the player "walking" to first, freely.
K = Strikeouts. 3 strikes result in the player out.
LOB = Left on base. Number of baserunners a player has "left on" while up.
AVG = Batting average. Hits divided by At bats
HR = Homerun. Times the ball has gone over the fence for a 4-bagger.
MorseMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
CHOWDERHEAD
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Good to know that there are people willing to help. Okay well I have another question. (sorry if this is a bit hard to understand...)

Like on the league standings it says W and L and PCT, I thought W and L would stand for wins and losses but I have W 2 ns L 5 but I have only played one match, could someone help me out with what it means and also what does PCT stand for?

And finally before I bore you all to death with things that are so basic haha;
during a match I see you have nine innings. and within those nine innings somes times it says 1 or 0 for that inning, what does that represent?
And very finally the players have stats for various things like AB, R, H, RBI, BB, K, LOB, AVG, HR, RBI... what do they stand for?

I will give this a try, though I am not following along on the "W 2 ns L 5" Not sure if the "ns" was a typo, or if that is something that is actually showing up in your game. The "PCT" is win percentage. So a team that has won 2 games and lost 5 games would have a win percentage of .286 - obviously the higher the pct, the better the team is doing.

A "normal" game is 9 innings, though it can be longer if the teams are tied at the end of the 9 innings. That is the great thing about baseball, the teams keep playing until there is a winner. Also can have a game shorter than 9 innings due to weather issues. I am guessing the numbers (1 and 0) you are seeing are likely the runs scored by the team for that particular inning. AB stands for "at bats"; R stands for "runs"; H stands for "hits"; RBI stands for "run batted in"; BB stands for "walks"; K stands for "strikeout"; LOB stands for runners "left on base"; AVG stands for "batting average"; and HR stands for "home run".

Baseball is a great game and OOTP has done an amazing job of allowing you and me to experience it. Good luck.

Last edited by CHOWDERHEAD; 04-07-2013 at 01:38 PM.
CHOWDERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #8
Bensufc
Bat Boy

Smile

Wow thanks to you all, have been great with me!!
)))))))))))))))
Old 04-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #9
phillupi
All Star Reserve

Post a screen shot of unanswered questions.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #10
Wisnoodles
Major Leagues

A great site to familiarize your self with the history of the game is www.baseball-reference.com
Wisnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #11
Disco Dog 13
Minors (Triple A)

Hi Ben

I'm a fellow Brit (or have I misunderstood your profile name !!) who has been playing the game for 3 years now.
Are you a Blade

There are a few podcasts that are quite good for baseball to help submerge yourself .... I listen to "Baseball Tonight" & "Behind the dish" - both very informative and also funny at times. If you're lucky enough to have ESPN America the just watching a few games is a great way to learn too.

This game is as good as it gets and I play it as much if not more than Football Manager Handheld, and also more than International Cricket Captain.

The ratings etc are not too complex and as you have already found the guys in the forum are amazingly helpful.

Thanks to their help I think I am 10 times the player I was back in 2011 when the iPhone version first came out.

All the best ...
Disco Dog 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #12
MorseMoose
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisnoodles View Post
A great site to familiarize your self with the history of the game is Baseball-Reference.com - Major League Baseball Statistics and History
I get lost there for days at a time...

For a newbie, it might be a tad overwhelming though!
MorseMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #13
phillupi
All Star Reserve

With all these Brits out there we need to be able to create a league with players from the UK only.
Hey Palli are you listening?

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365367294.578369.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  27.0 KB

Old 04-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #14
Bensufc
Bat Boy

Hi Discodog... no you got the name right I am indeed a Blade (Sheffield United) for all you non brits haha.

Cheers for the advice will look up the podcasts and the website that the other guys suggest!
Old 04-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #15
BradC
All Star Starter

Welcome aboard, Bensufc! Have fun with the game. Please feel free to post additional questions as they come up and I or someone else can answer them. I've been a baseball fan since I was a kid, so I'm very well-versed in the game. There are a lot of nuances to the rules (for example, a foul ball is a strike, unless you have two strikes, but if you bunt the ball foul with 2 strikes, that's a strikeout).

It's always nice to see folks in other countries get into baseball. There's a guy in the UK named Andy Bush who has a radio show, and I've talked to him about the game a few times. He really enjoys it, and I'm hoping he can review it on his show.
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:31 PM   #16
Templer
Minors (Triple A)

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:

Here it's the same.
I love sports management simulations and found this on the App Store so thought I would give it a try.
I also tried the OOTP 13 demo - the OOTP management aspect is really great.
No sense to baseball before, but now I am so enthusiastic about OOTP, I will ordering OOTP 14.

Nothing at all sounds stupid.
The only stupid question there is, is the question you don't ask!

Maybe this helps also:
Someone help me to find the "thrill" of baseball please II
Templer is offline   Reply With Quote