Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - In-Game Text and PbP Commentary
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2006, 09:51 PM   #61
tysok
Hall Of Famer

158-9482 spanks a hot shot on the ground straight up the middle
199-14212 Adelio Crespa will have to hurry
2198830 through into center for a hit

Crespa is their third baseman, he has to do more than hurry to get a hot grounder back up the middle.
tysok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:14 PM   #62
tysok
Hall Of Famer

14-32 Beechey goes to third...
Beechey is is trying to score...
Beechey is not challenged with a throw...
he scores...

The 2nd line is is not right.
Although, doesn't look like that whole section should be 14-32... but that's what it says.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:44 PM   #63
tysok
Hall Of Famer

280-10320 440 on the tape measure...
Nathan Beechey delivers a 3-runhome run...

Should have a space between 3-run and home run

Next one:
---hit softly in the air on the right side
241-12276 MacGlashin (1B) is under it...
Barrlos (CF) is also after it...
but he's waved off by MacGlashin

The fast CFer again.

Next one:
189-11368 the batter takes a cut...
166-6591 check swing...

He either takes a cut or checks his swing... announcer is confused cuz he's watching a different game on the monitor.

Last edited by tysok; 06-22-2006 at 11:14 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:20 PM   #64
tysok
Hall Of Famer

Youch... this game knows I'm finding problems and it's taking out it's anger on my players. The pitcher has hit 4 batters so far, it's the 4th inning. I check his stats and he's hit only 5 so far this year... if this keeps up I'll have to stop finding problems with the XML so I can keep my players healthy.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:07 AM   #65
M's rule
All Star Reserve

Okay, faithful. Here’s a compendium of stuff I gathered from early posts in this thread, most of which have to do with hard-coded text (rather than messages from the database) that is causing problems. I will create TestTrack (TT) entries for these things, hoping that Markus will be able to find time for this sort of stuff.

After the text of each post, my response is preceded by a line of asterisks to set it off. In a few places in the posts I inserted debug numbers (category-object) to help me figure things out and to serve as a reference when these issues go into TT.

I hope this feedback will help you all (all three of you) understand where these errors are coming from. Please keep the comments coming, and I’ll check out each glitch as time permits.

Tysok, please note my question in post 48. I want to be sure I know what you meant.

Post 8:

The fielder waiving himself off remains...

[241-12291] Francois Lapierre gets under it...
also on the move if Lapierre...
but he's waved off by Lapierre...

For the record, this followed the following text:

[233-12116] out toward straight away center...

So, no one BUT the centerfielder had any business going after that one.

Edit: I have seen this type of play numerous times since, and it only seems to be a problem when the centerfielder is the primary player involved.

The two lines following 12291 are not in the database, so they must be inside the game. (Did it really say “On the move if . . . ?)

Post 9:

Got this call on a strikeout...

[347-10030] the umpire is maintaining a very wide strike-zone...

The strikeout pitch was right down the middle, well inside the strike zone.

It seems that category 347 should be called only when a pitch is on the edge of the strike zone. That said, I’ve noticed some discrepancy myself between how a pitch is displayed on the webcast screen and how it’s described in the PbP. It’s worth asking about.

Post 10:

This may not be a text issue, but more of a coding problem...

[151-9372] back up the middle...past the pitcher's mound...
[199-14325] West could have a hard time with that one...
[216-13403] West dives...

The main problem here is...West is the third baseman and therefore should not be the one diving to try and get a grounder "back up the middle."

Another call where it seems to be the wrong player:

[233-12118] straight away to short center...
[239-14270] Ping is charging for it...
[217-13434] but he can't corral it...

Ping is the second baseman. While yes, he will go after a ball in center, he wouldn't be "charging" it, since that implies he's coming IN, and not going OUT.

What you cite as 14325 is actually 14235. If you’re typing in this stuff rather than copying it from a file, please be careful.

The first example is a problem. I think it’s because category 199 (difficult play) doesn’t distinguish between middle infielders and corner infielders; or maybe it’s only meant to be called for plays to the middle infielders. It’s worth checking out.

The second example is less problematic in terms of its wording. The word “charging” might not evoke the same image in everybody’s mind, but at least it’s not entirely illogical or disorienting. All the tokens used in category 239 (flyball charge) are [%game fielder] rather than [%game fielder of]. The same is true of two other related categories. This raises a question: Are these categories called only when the ball is hit to an infielder, or does [%game fielder] sometimes hold the name of an outfielder? I’ll ask.

Post 11:

This is redundant...

[179-8022]Thien gloves with the backhand...he steps on second for the force...
[206-9868]the tag on Ken Goodchild...out!

He either tage the base or tags the man, not both.

I inserted “it” after “gloves,” but that didn’t solve the problem.
Object 8022 doesn’t include the “he steps” part of the line. That bit of text is pulled from within the game.

Post 12:

News item:

[92-1301] ...he has homered 1 times...

With only one HR, it should read "1 time".

We can’t do anything about the general problem of plural words following the numeral 1 (or 0) in a message. For instance, all the tokens relating to stats that end in “word,” such as [%batting d word], return the plural form of that word, so you’re always going to see phrases like “1 doubles” as long as these tokens remain in use. Following from that, whenever you see a variation in wording such as message 1301 (which calls [%batting hr] followed by “times”), you’ll see that the word that follows the numeral is purposely plural.

Post 13:

Not sure if all of this is part of the text file, or if the offending portion is hard-coded:

[280-10325] 410 (unit of measure missing) as Tufts just watched it go...
Generoso Herrera belts a 2-run homer!
Generoso Herrera belts a 2-run homer!

The line is repeated (although this could be for effect now that I think about it...)

Of course, the next line WAS...

"they go deep back-to-back" - It's IMPOSSIBLE to hit a two-run shot as the second half of back-to-back jacks! There was a single in between the two homers.

Edit: The next batter went yard as well, and I got the double Homerun call with [280-10310]

The repeated line is hard-coded. I doubt the repetition is intentional.

The back-to-back problem has been mentioned elsewhere, but I’ll check to be sure it’s in TT. Any message that mentions back-to-back home runs is not coming from the database.

Post 18:

Something's missing here...

[189-11391] the batter swings from his heels...
[15-7722] scoring is Whiteway...

The situation? Runners on first and third, no outs. After the play, the run has scored, the bases are clear, and there are two outs. Oops, checking the log, it's the 1-6-3 DP bug.

I don’t know what the 1-6-3 DP bug is. I will TT this.

Post 19:

When it rains it pours. Got a 2B throwing it to himself:

[176-7136] Callahan picks it...he takes it to the bag himself...
[206-9851] makes the catch to retire Je-ju Ping...
[162-11013] that's flashing the leather!

The “he takes” phrase is not part of message 7136, so that bit of hard-coded text is the problem.

Post 21:

Another overambitious centerfielder:

[229-11952] into left...straight down the line...
[239-14261] Herrera (LF) is on the move...Paquette (CF) is also after it...

The CF should be nowhere near a ball down the LF line. MAYBE the 3B, but most definitely not the CF.

Ran into this again with [239-14271] where the RIGHT fielder went after a ball down the left field line.

The text “is also after it” is not in the database.

Post 22:

Finally found the double play line that's been driving me nuts:

[246-12335]...tags him for the double_play...

Needless to say (but I'll do it anyway) there should be no "_" between the words double and play.

The “tags him for the double” text is not in the database.

Post 31:

Here's one of those wonderful pitch descriptions:
he got him on a [319-9016] sinking two-seamer sinker!

The “sinker!” part is not in the database.

Post 40:

I know it's been mentioned before, but I don't think it has with a code tag:

[314-8850] straight fastball fastball!

The “fastball!” part is not in the database.

Post 43:

Found another, same category, different line...

[314-6428] beautiful fastball fastball!

Ditto.

Post 47:

Found something, but don't have any numbers. It's jsut in game text:

184-9660 Bumgartner sees the runner heading home, here's the throw...
208-8246 Bumgartner cuts down Burke at home...
Strong throw by Craig Bumgartner...
two down.
287-5709 a slight chance to get two here...
the throw to Villacian who covers first base...
214-5481 that's going to be REAL close...
SAFE!

Villacian is the catcher who would have been throwing to first.

The line that mentions Villacian is not in the database.

Post 48:

2 things wrong in this one play

Bob Byars swings...
168-7934 Byars swings...
chopper to short...
he sets, fires to first...
bad throw...
in the dirt...
saved nicely by Meehan.
(one) down.
The top of the second is over...

It really is over... despite an erroneous reporting to the contrary. If Byars had only swung once he may have hitten it harder.

The first line is a problem, because [%game batter] always returns just the batter’s last name. The game must be pulling this line from somewhere within the code.

What’s the second thing wrong? Is it “(one)”? Did you put the parentheses around the word. Or did it display that way? Message 7934 includes everything from “Byars swings” through “down.” However, the token [%game outs+1 long] looks like it might not be translating properly here. I think this problem will clear up when the token problem is fixed. I will TT the first problem, but not this one.

Also, I replaced “he” with the name of the shortstop, so it doesn’t read as though Byars is throwing himself out.

Post 50:

I know that it's been reported that the announced says they went deep back to back when there was a strike out, ground out, or whatever in between...... but I just had an occasion: Batter hits a homer. Next batter grounds out. Next batter homers, says they went back to back. The next batter hits a homer... nothing said.

It's not saying back to back when it really IS back to back.

Noted above.

Post 51:

189-11381 the batter offers at it...
227-11885 changeup flared...
233-12093 toward shallow centerfield...
243-12306 Nicanor Campero (CF) races back...
253-14335 base hit for Malachi Barone...
261-14365 Campero gets there to cut it off...
222-11494 Barone rounds first...
he's trying for two...
Burke goes to third base.

First, flare into shallow center and the CF is racing back... no wonder he didn't make the play. Then he "gets there" to cut it off... should hope so it was flared. Then there was no end to that play, Barone rounds first and tries for two.... we assume he was successful since that's where he now is.

I fixed the “shallow racing back” problem by rewording a few of the messages in category 243 that had the fielder racing in or racing out; now he’s just racing for the ball (or something like that) in no particular direction.

The “he’s trying for two” line is the last part of message 11494. Clearly it needs to be followed by a line that says whether he’s safe or out. I will TT this.
M's rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 01:09 AM   #66
M's rule
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysok
Ho hum, this game is a nightmare for your pbp text.

down the first base line...
that's trouble for Okada (1B)...
through into right for a hit...
cut off by Okada (1B)...
nicely done...

If it's into right for a hit the 1B is not going to be able to "cut it off".
This was an error with the token being called. Now fixed in the database.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:12 AM   #67
jbsnadb
All Star Starter

Quote:
158-9482 spanks a hot shot on the ground straight up the middle
199-14212 Adelio Crespa will have to hurry
2198830 through into center for a hit

Crespa is their third baseman, he has to do more than hurry to get a hot grounder back up the middle.
He may have been playing in. For some reason tonight, Chipper Jones caught a popup near second base.
jbsnadb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 06:36 AM   #68
Ian Collins
Minors (Rookie Ball)

[193-11438] Standing in is Nixon...
[292-13688] two down...
[186-8541] Street deals from the stretch...
[18-10981] the runners are off with the pitch...

The problem here is that there was only one runner.
Ian Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 10:36 AM   #69
tysok
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
2 things wrong in this one play

Bob Byars swings...
Byars swings...
chopper to short...
bad throw...
in the dirt...
saved nicely by Meehan.
(one) down.
The top of the second is over...

It really is over... despite an erroneous reporting to the contrary. If Byars had only swung once he may have hitten it harder.

Yes that's exactly as it appeared in the game "(one) down"
Old 06-23-2006, 10:41 AM   #70
tysok
Hall Of Famer

"The line that mentions Villacian is not in the database."

Yousers... so not all the pbp is coming from the text file? That's gotta be a wild crazy bunch of worms then. Why is the game calling the pbp itself with help from the xml file?
I woulda thought it would be the opposite, the xml file calls the pbp with help from the game, like reporting back to back home run, or other calls that just don't need variation.

No wonder there's still so many weird errors showing up.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:56 PM   #71
jbsnadb
All Star Starter

It is distressing that we have spent so much time trying to fix the little errors that remain in the .xml files, only to find out we're playing Don Quixote to the windmills that are in fact, the game engine.

So much for it being in our hands.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:40 AM   #72
M's rule
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsnadb
It is distressing that we have spent so much time trying to fix the little errors that remain in the .xml files, only to find out we're playing Don Quixote to the windmills that are in fact, the game engine.

Do not despair, jbsnadb and tysok. Be optimistic that the problems you have found can be fixed easily. Keep looking and keep reporting.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:21 AM   #73
jbsnadb
All Star Starter

It would be great if we could fix them and didn't have to wait for Markus to fix the MAJOR problems.
"And as I wander with my music through the jungles of Despair, my kid will learn guitar and find a street corner somewhere. There he'll make the silence listen to the dream behind the voice, and show his minstrel Hamlet daddy that there only was one choice."
Old 06-24-2006, 11:42 AM   #74
tysok
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

LOL ... it's kind of strange IMO. But it can be worked out... just makes it harder for everyone involved when the game is calling the pbp and trying to let the xml call it too.

Finally we know why some of the calls are so odd on occasion though.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:28 PM   #75
M's rule
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Nothing wrong with this except it doesn't make sense unless you study what happened.
Says:
Slider low hit in the air...
out to shallow center...

The pitch was a slider low... hit in the air. Looks like he "low hit" the ball in the air.

Sorry, haven't turned the debugger back on yet.
I found a couple of lines where "hit in the air" comes immediately after [%game pitch] or [%game pitch location}, and I inserted a comma after the tokens.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:52 PM   #76
M's rule
All Star Reserve

Quote:
300-10359 Jowett one hops it to second...
296-13755 the throw is high!
is nowhere near it...
charge with an error...

First the throw can't both be a one hopper and high.
It also looks like the last two lines were supposed to mention a persons name.

I'll go turn on the debugger after this game finishes.
Category 300 is called when the catcher throws to second on a steal attempt. Message 10359 is the only one in the category that mentions the throw coming in on a bounce. So, I can fix this problem by deleting message 10359, which I have just done. I also got rid of a message that said something like "fires a strike to second," because if it's possible for the throw to turn into an error on the catcher, it wasn't a strike to begin with.

The other problem is worth putting into TT, because in the XML file "is nowhere near it" is supposed to be preceded by [%game fielder2], and between "charge" and "with" we should see [%game fielder] (that being the catcher). For some reason, the display is failing to show those names.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:59 PM   #77
M's rule
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Collins
[168-7934] Hee Seop Choi swings...
chopper to short...
bad throw...
in the dirt...
saved nicely by Hillenbrand.
(one) down.

The brackets should be removed unless Text_Object 7934 is called when the outs are more than one.
Ian:

See my earlier long post, and inside that my reply about post 48.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:05 AM   #78
CalvinHobbes
Major Leagues

Here's a mistake I found. I'm using the newest version. The following text is copied word for word, including the spelling mistake in the first line...(well, except that I didn't put the players name in)

[The Batter]fights if off...
hits a slow ground ball...
toward the pitcher...
difficult play for [The Catcher!]...
that's a single into left...
[The Batter] delivers a RBI single...

How does this make sense at all? Slow ground ball to the pitcher and the catcher is going to pick it up, so I'm thinking bunt-type grounder. Yet the rest of the text blows that out of the water.

So, anyways, I thought I'd report it. I did a search on 'slow ground ball' in this thread and it didn't find anything, so I'm reasonable certain this hasn't been caught yet.

Thanks
Old 06-25-2006, 12:16 AM   #79
M's rule
All Star Reserve

Quote:
More crazy fielding stuff...

[246-12292] waiting for it is Hansen (1b)...
Herrera (LF) is going for it as well...
but he's waived off by Hansen...

The line before was "on the infield, right side..." Herrera had no business calling for that one, since he was about 200 ft. away.
246 should be 241.

The second and third lines are not part of object 12292, and they do not appear in the XML file.

All the messages in category 241 (flyball charge easy) seem to be phrased as though they apply to an outfielder, but they use [%game fielder] to display the name rather than [%game fielder of]. I've already asked, here and in TT, if [%game fielder] can hold the name of either an infielder or an outfielder. If the answer is no, and if this category is called only when a ball is hit to the outfield, then all the tokens need changing.

Categories 239 (flyball charge) and 243 (flyball charge hard) are set up the same way, and would need the same change if only outfielders are supposed to charge after balls.

(I have a hunch the tokens are wrong. )

Um, edit: I just noticed your mention of the line that preceded 12292. So it was a ball meant to be handled by an infielder. Maybe in this case, the "charge" categories shouldn't be called to begin with. But since that line is hard-coded and not in the database, I can't tell why it's there. Doesn't make the other issue go away, but it does introduce another problem.

Last edited by M's rule; 06-25-2006 at 12:23 AM.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:17 AM   #80
Zeyes
All Star Reserve

Didn't see it mentioned in this thread or the older one...

I noticed that some news stories were missing words (player/personnel names, in particular). Looking at the XML, the problem for several of these cases was that the tokens were missing the % sign, so I've hunted down as many broken tokens as I could find. Here we go...

[35-2085] [subleagueabbr]
[40-1338] [batting h word]
[40-1864] [batting rbi]
[42-4582] [personname L]
[46-1916] [batting avg]
[46-5121] [batting bb]
[48-4705] [Personname L]
[51-2063] [teamname nick]
[52-4622] [batting d word]
[53-1705] [rookieaward]
[93-1120] [leagueyear]
[118-3679] [playerposition abbr]
[118-3680] [playerposition abbr]
[118-3682] [playerposition abbr]
[118-3684] [playerposition abbr]
[118-3685] [playerposition abbr]
[118-3686] [playerposition abbr]
[118-3697] [playerposition abbr]
[118-3705] [playerposition abbr]
[118-3716] [playerposition abbr]
[118-3721] [playerposition abbr]
[124-2262] [batting t word]
[124-2274] [batting r word]
[124-2333] [batting h word]
[124-2563] [batting rbi]
[125-2354] [pitching ra word]
[125-5263] [pitching ra word]
[132-3415] [personname F L]
[132-3438] [personname L]
[132-3442] [personname L]
[134-3381] [personname L]
[134-3398] [personname F L]
[172-8397] [game outs+2 order]
[209-9895] [game outs+1]
[209-9901] [game outs+1]
[360-14084] [game base1]
[380-14837] [personname l]
[380-14838] [personname l]
[380-14839] [personname l]
[380-14840] [personname l]
[380-14841] [personname l]

---

Not sure if the next one breaks anything, but I guess they're not supposed to have thoses spaces after and before the bracket, respectively:

[305-10429] [ %game fielder2]
[167-11115] [%game secondbase ]

---

An oddity:

[165-5837] "routine grounder...(nl)right side of the diamond...(nl)[%game firstbase] moves in quickly...(nl)makes the easy pickup...(nl)waves off the pitcher...(nl)and tags the base to retire [%game batter]...(nl)[%game outs+1 long] away in the [%game teamab] [fifth]."

I guess there's supposed to be a token for the current inning where [fifth] is currently?

---

Not a token problem, but they showed up in my search for square brackets, so here are various buggy (nl) tags:

[nl):
[245-14301]
[245-14316]

(nl]:
[106-2800]

[n]:
[60-4747]

(n]:
[260-12594]

(n):
[129-4354]
[166-6580]
[177-7986]
[313-10435]
[344-10708]
[344-10758]
[348-14488]

---

wrong opening bracket:

[111-4778] ]%personlink]
[173-10113] ]%game outs+1 long word]
[173-10129] ]%game outs+1 long word]

---

doubled closing bracket:

[169-11180] [%game outs+1 long]]

---

And finally, missing spaces around tokens:

[39-215] Reliever[%personname F L]
[113-4501] [%teamlink nickonly]are
[164-5858] [%game catcher]reaches
[167-11055] [%game outs+1 long]down
[167-11077] [%game batter]is
[172-8409] [%game secondbase]fires
[173-10085] [%game leftfield]ranges

Last edited by Zeyes; 06-25-2006 at 12:20 AM.
Zeyes is offline   Reply With Quote