Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations

Old 07-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #21
albatross11
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
If this is true then there is effectively no point in the XML file being editable.
There doesn't seem to be any point to the change to the XMLfile at all.

albatross
albatross11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:25 PM   #22
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross11 View Post
There doesn't seem to be any point to the change to the XMLfile at all.
It makes sense as long as it's editable, because it allows slightly more flexibility compared to a series of text files. Of course that is massively undermined if a lot of it is hard coded anyway.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:39 PM   #23
albatross11
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
It makes sense as long as it's editable, because it allows slightly more flexibility compared to a series of text files. Of course that is massively undermined if a lot of it is hard coded anyway.

True...there is the "potential" for more flexibility. However, if I already have a very heavily modified cities.txt file (that I have spent years modifying to my liking), and the only way of using that data in OOTP12 is inputting over 140 thousand lines of data into the XML file (and not, from reading these forums, being sure even that would work) then the change to the XML format is not a good thing (for me).

albatross
albatross11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:57 PM   #24
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross11 View Post
True...there is the "potential" for more flexibility. However, if I already have a very heavily modified cities.txt file (that I have spent years modifying to my liking), and the only way of using that data in OOTP12 is inputting over 140 thousand lines of data into the XML file (and not, from reading these forums, being sure even that would work) then the change to the XML format is not a good thing (for me).
Yeah, and I don't think changes we've made for 11 will even tansfer over into 12 if we import an 11 world into 12.
Pre-OOTP 23 Custom Cap & Jersey Template v3.0 by Deft and NoPepper (with layers from other various artists) that I use: Caps, Jerseys
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:43 PM   #25
Chicagofan76
Banned

Infractions: 2/2 (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cephasjames View Post
Yeah, and I don't think changes we've made for 11 will even tansfer over into 12 if we import an 11 world into 12.
This is my biggest concern. If once I edit the XML file to reflect the changes I made to the txt's in 11 and then convert my league from 11 to 12, and the league wont show the new updates in the XML then there is no point in me buying 12 for this league. I know there are ways to create a new game in 12 and probably transfer my info from my custom world to that new game, but i like easy things and thats too much work.
I am sure i will buy 12 at some point, my online league will use it after our current season and I have a historical league which I am dying to try the reserve clause rules on. and i have 4 other leagues which are on hold until I get to 2041 in my Endor League.
Chicagofan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #26
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagofan76 View Post
This is my biggest concern. If once I edit the XML file to reflect the changes I made to the txt's in 11 and then convert my league from 11 to 12, and the league wont show the new updates in the XML then there is no point in me buying 12 for this league. I know there are ways to create a new game in 12 and probably transfer my info from my custom world to that new game, but i like easy things and thats too much work.
I am sure i will buy 12 at some point, my online league will use it after our current season and I have a historical league which I am dying to try the reserve clause rules on. and i have 4 other leagues which are on hold until I get to 2041 in my Endor League.
This is where the silence from those in the know is really bad. Many people work really hard on their leagues and if this switch, and the lack of speech on it, doesn't allow database things to transfer than this is a bad move.
Pre-OOTP 23 Custom Cap & Jersey Template v3.0 by Deft and NoPepper (with layers from other various artists) that I use: Caps, Jerseys
Old 07-06-2011, 08:52 PM   #27
Markmeister
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
If you've been successful in adding to the .xml file, then the problem may simply be in trying to alter the existing data for the nations already in the game. Looking at the in-game nation editor, it seems clear that the language id options for each nation are hard-coded. Algeria, for instance, has only one slot available for a language id. So, if you tried to go into the .xml file and give Algeria two language id's, you'd either get an error message or the game would crash. I've found, however, that you can't even change the language id's that are already there. I tried to change the US language id set from 36 different languages to just one -- US Historical 39. That didn't work either.
Joe,

Are you sure that you edited it correctly? I just tried adding all of the landuage id's to Algeria and made the U.S. just one. I did not get a crash and when I went to the nation game editor, my percents were what I had edited them to.

If you can post what your edits, maybe we can see what is going on.

Jersey style logos
Vintage letter logos
Vintage uniforms
Markmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:11 PM   #28
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markmeister View Post
Joe,

Are you sure that you edited it correctly? I just tried adding all of the landuage id's to Algeria and made the U.S. just one. I did not get a crash and when I went to the nation game editor, my percents were what I had edited them to.
No, I'm not sure I'm doing anything correctly. That's why I started this thread. All I know is that nothing's working.

I decided to try something new today: I made just one edit in the .xml file -- I corrected the spelling of "Scandinavian" in the language id list. I then started a new game and checked Norway, which, as far as I know, is the only country that has "Scandinavian" as a language. Not surprisingly, the change didn't "take" -- it was still "Scandinavien." So, if I make a lot of changes, it crashes the game or I get an unfixable error or the changes don't stick, and if I make one change it doesn't stick. That has been my experience so far.

Quote:
If you can post what your edits, maybe we can see what is going on.
Those files are long gone.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:29 PM   #29
Markmeister
Major Leagues

Joe,

I'm guessing that when languages were originally added they were hard coded.

Markus may have added them to the world default.xml, but hasn't changed the hard coding in the game yet.

Jersey style logos
Vintage letter logos
Vintage uniforms
Old 07-06-2011, 11:33 PM   #30
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Well, this is weird.

I went into the .xml file using Notepad to add another ethnicity to Algeria. I then started a new game and, in the nation editor, the change showed up!

I quit OOTP and opened up the .xml file again, but this time in WordPad (which is what I have been using) rather than Notepad. Then I added another ethnicity to Angola and started a new game. This time I got an "XML parsing error" message.

The problem, then, may be that the .xml file doesn't like WordPad. This bears closer scrutiny.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:27 AM   #31
Markmeister
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
Well, this is weird.

I went into the .xml file using Notepad to add another ethnicity to Algeria. I then started a new game and, in the nation editor, the change showed up!

I quit OOTP and opened up the .xml file again, but this time in WordPad (which is what I have been using) rather than Notepad. Then I added another ethnicity to Angola and started a new game. This time I got an "XML parsing error" message.

The problem, then, may be that the .xml file doesn't like WordPad. This bears closer scrutiny.
It sounds like using Wordpad to edit the xml may be the issue. I have been just using Notepad and Notepad++. I haven't had any parsing errors yet.

p.s. Notepad++ makes it easier to edit, but the find function is very slow on my computer. If I am making a quick change, Notepad can find the nation, state, city I am looking for much quicker.

Jersey style logos
Vintage letter logos
Vintage uniforms
Old 07-07-2011, 01:00 AM   #32
Chicagofan76
Banned

Quote:
p.s. Notepad++ makes it easier to edit, but the find function is very slow on my computer. If I am making a quick change, Notepad can find the nation, state, city I am looking for much quicker.
Wolf was saying that using Notepad/notepad++ messes up something or was unadvisible? to instead use a XML editor. Can you share your comments on that? I am going to wait til i get past my 2009 Endor season before i start seeing if i can transfer my league over to 12 with the added changes i want to make to my orig file.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:24 AM   #33
Markmeister
Major Leagues

Chicagofan,

I haven't seen the post from Wolf about notepad/notepad++ doing something with the xml. Do you know what the issue was?

What xml editor are you using? I downloaded XML Notepad Plus the other day because it could compare 2 xml files. It was very clunky.

So far Notepad++ is my preferred method to work with the xml files as it simple and straight forward and give you the ability to collapse sections of the xml on the screen. But if it causes problems, I won't use it.

Jersey style logos
Vintage letter logos
Vintage uniforms
Old 07-07-2011, 08:44 AM   #34
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Check out TextPad (TextPad - the text editor for Windows). I have used it over Notepad, etc for awhile now. It's so much better and the find and replace feature is great.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:03 AM   #35
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Just downloaded Notepad++. The search tool is slow. Froze up for a bit. The collapse feature is cool. I mass deleted some continents and it froze up doing that too.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #36
tylertoo
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephasjames View Post
Just downloaded Notepad++. The search tool is slow. Froze up for a bit. The collapse feature is cool. I mass deleted some continents and it froze up doing that too.
I take it you did not have those problems with Textpad?
Old 07-07-2011, 09:51 AM   #37
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylertoo View Post
I take it you did not have those problems with Textpad?
Correct.

Although TextPad doesn't have the collapse feature. And Notepad++ looks more like an XML editor and TextPad looks more like a TXT editor.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #38
Chicagofan76
Banned

Quote:
Chicagofan,

I haven't seen the post from Wolf about notepad/notepad++ doing something with the xml. Do you know what the issue was?

What xml editor are you using? I downloaded XML Notepad Plus the other day because it could compare 2 xml files. It was very clunky.

So far Notepad++ is my preferred method to work with the xml files as it simple and straight forward and give you the ability to collapse sections of the xml on the screen. But if it causes problems, I won't use it.
I am having difficulty finding which thread it was in, Wolf has something like 300 posts in the last 7 days.
I believe he was talking more with possible crashes of notepad or notepad++ but not sure right now.
I deleted the XML editor I orig had (which i didnt try) and switched to notepad++, also which I havent used other then just to open the xml.

Right now my new concern isnt how long it may take to put my nations in. It's whether or not they would be a part of my game once I convert it to 12. So i need tons of questions answered. I want to buy 12, but unsure right now if i will bother since my Endor League is the only league i play on 11 these days. I do have 5 other leagues and an online league that will be fun to play on 12, but I can get by with playing them on 11.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #39
tylertoo
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagofan76 View Post
Right now my new concern isnt how long it may take to put my nations in. It's whether or not they would be a part of my game once I convert it to 12. So i need tons of questions answered. I want to buy 12, but unsure right now if i will bother since my Endor League is the only league i play on 11 these days. I do have 5 other leagues and an online league that will be fun to play on 12, but I can get by with playing them on 11.
C-fan, if you import your Endor league from 11, do you even need to tamper with the world_default.xml stuff? I thought that was only for newly created leagues? Unless you're starting from scratch?

Second of all, isn't there a demo of 12 that you could try all this in, before making the decision?
Old 07-07-2011, 12:20 PM   #40
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylertoo View Post
C-fan, if you import your Endor league from 11, do you even need to tamper with the world_default.xml stuff? I thought that was only for newly created leagues? Unless you're starting from scratch?

Second of all, isn't there a demo of 12 that you could try all this in, before making the decision?
That's the question that it'd be nice for M or A to answer. Will custom database changes from 11 transfer to 12?

There is not a demo yet as far as I'm aware. At least I haven't found one yet.