Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-21-2020, 09:16 AM   #1
HockeyGuy
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Creating Rival League to MLB

I'm wondering if it's possible to create a rival league to MLB where both leagues are operating concurrently within the game and competing for the same pool of players?
HockeyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:47 AM   #2
venflaalachi
Minors (Double A)

There should be. You can create a rival league on equal financial footing, and allow free agents to leave one league for the other. If you want them to share draft classes, create an association and pick the option where the rookie draft class is shared.
venflaalachi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:30 PM   #3
HockeyGuy
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy View Post
I'm wondering if it's possible to create a rival league to MLB where both leagues are operating concurrently within the game and competing for the same pool of players?

Extending this out, here are the teams in my fictional third major league to compete against MLB. What do think? All feedback is welcome. And if you a better team name than the ones I'm open to suggestions.

Mexico City Red Devils, Monterrey Sultans, Austin Generals, Calgary Cowboys, Vancouver Canadians, Portland Beavers, Long Beach Admirals, Águilas Cibaeñas, Havanna Sugar Kings, San Juan Senadores, Orlando Sun Kings, New Orleans Buccaneers, Montreal Royals, New York ???

Last edited by HockeyGuy; 02-21-2020 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:55 PM   #4
oriole^
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Extending this out, here are the teams in my fictional third major league to compete against MLB. What do think? All feedback is welcome. And if you a better team name than the ones I'm open to suggestions.

Mexico City Red Devils, Monterrey Sultans, Austin Generals, Calgary Cowboys, Vancouver Canadians, Portland Beavers, Long Beach Admirals, Águilas Cibaeñas, Havanna Sugar Kings, San Juan Senadores, Orlando Sun Kings, New Orleans Buccaneers, Montreal Royals, New York ???

For New York: Gothams, Knights, Imperials, Mutuals.

Good call on most of these names. They have good histories to them.

Visit The Boardwalk for Sports, Gaming, and other talk!
oriole^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:46 PM   #5
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

How about pretending the NL and AL never agreed to operate cooperatively.
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 12:56 PM   #6
Stealcompany
Minors (Triple A)

As a fan of the Henry Wiggen novels all New York baseball teams should be called the Mammoths.
Stealcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 01:45 PM   #7
edapes
Minors (Single A)

I have run a couple of games using the scenario of another league starting in times when MLB was having labor issues. I did one game with a 24 team (2 leagues 2 divisions) league starting in 1994 mainly staying out of MLB markets with standard financials and scheduling:
Atlantic City Aces, Brooklyn Empires, Indianapolis Ironmen, Long Island Islanders, Richmond Generals, Washington Capitals
Charlotte Crusaders, Ft. Lauderdale Flamingos, Jacksonville Armada, Nashville Knights, New Orleans Vodoo, Orlando Sentinels
Austin Colts, Chicago Hitmen, El Paso Diablos, Oklahoma City Drillers, San Antonio Gauchos, Salt Lake City Swarm
Hollywood Stars, Las Vegas Gladiators, Phoenix Scorbions, Portland Pioneers, Sacramento Stealth, San Jose Spartans

I did another game with a 16 team league (2 8 team leagues) starting in 1980 and used reserve era rules with 4 games a week (Thursday-Sunday) with a 112 game schedule to give the game a different feel and be an alternative to MLB.
Atlanta Monarchs, Boston Colonials, Birmingham Vulcans, Memphis Blues, Miami Bluefins, New York Gaurdians, Philadelphia Liberty, Washington Potomacs
Chicago Fire, Denver Gold, Dallas Wranglers, Houston Kings, Los Angeles Reign, San Francisco Seals, Seattle Metros, St. Louis Steamers

Last edited by edapes; 02-23-2020 at 01:47 PM.
edapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:40 PM   #8
mytreds
All Star Reserve

I made a rival league, starting in 1996, as an alternate to the strike stricken and steroid infested MLB. I started with a 12 team league, using the largest US cities that did not already have an MLB team. As my first real go at a fantasy league, it's been a blast. Currently at 18 teams in 2020, with hopes to expand to up to 32 teams in the future.
mytreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:42 PM   #9
HockeyGuy
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytreds View Post
I made a rival league, starting in 1996, as an alternate to the strike stricken and steroid infested MLB. I started with a 12 team league, using the largest US cities that did not already have an MLB team. As my first real go at a fantasy league, it's been a blast. Currently at 18 teams in 2020, with hopes to expand to up to 32 teams in the future.
Do you have a screenshot or a list of your teams you'd mind sharing? I'm curious how you setup your league.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:43 PM   #10
HockeyGuy
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edapes View Post
I have run a couple of games using the scenario of another league starting in times when MLB was having labor issues. I did one game with a 24 team (2 leagues 2 divisions) league starting in 1994 mainly staying out of MLB markets with standard financials and scheduling:
Atlantic City Aces, Brooklyn Empires, Indianapolis Ironmen, Long Island Islanders, Richmond Generals, Washington Capitals
Charlotte Crusaders, Ft. Lauderdale Flamingos, Jacksonville Armada, Nashville Knights, New Orleans Vodoo, Orlando Sentinels
Austin Colts, Chicago Hitmen, El Paso Diablos, Oklahoma City Drillers, San Antonio Gauchos, Salt Lake City Swarm
Hollywood Stars, Las Vegas Gladiators, Phoenix Scorbions, Portland Pioneers, Sacramento Stealth, San Jose Spartans

I did another game with a 16 team league (2 8 team leagues) starting in 1980 and used reserve era rules with 4 games a week (Thursday-Sunday) with a 112 game schedule to give the game a different feel and be an alternative to MLB.
Atlanta Monarchs, Boston Colonials, Birmingham Vulcans, Memphis Blues, Miami Bluefins, New York Gaurdians, Philadelphia Liberty, Washington Potomacs
Chicago Fire, Denver Gold, Dallas Wranglers, Houston Kings, Los Angeles Reign, San Francisco Seals, Seattle Metros, St. Louis Steamers
There are some good team names you came up with.
Old 02-28-2020, 04:40 PM   #11
mytreds
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Do you have a screenshot or a list of your teams you'd mind sharing? I'm curious how you setup your league.
League in 2021

League History

I played in commish mode, unemployed, until 2020. I fine tuned the league over the years. I only use AAA and Rookie ball leagues. Draft is during Preseason, I started with 20 rounds, but knocked it down to 12. Teams play 142 games. Playoffs are top 4 teams from each division, seeded. I also modified player nationality intake, to make the game feel more global, akin to soccer.
mytreds is offline   Reply With Quote