Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:43 AM   #1
Cheesehead1964
Major Leagues

Tips on scoring more runs?

My Negro League theme team always hit for average - usually among top teams in league. That's impressive in Perfect League, as I have the collection set through the low diamonds, but not higher diamonds or Josh Gibson.

But they never seem to score runs.

I've tried both small ball and sabermetric global strategies and things in between. I've tried to tweak a few of the player settings like making the faster players more aggressive on the base paths. And I'm constantly tweaking depth charts and lineups...

Any general tips at either the global or player specific level?
Cheesehead1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:56 AM   #2
GlassGuyBob
Minors (Double A)

Boost your park effects.

GlassGuyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:59 AM   #3
CrazyWR
All Star Reserve

Lean into your strengths - the Negro League set tends to be low on power, high on average and middle of the road for gap. Turn down power, crank average. I'd personally remove gap too just to help your pitching (Negro League pitchers aren't the strongest, I've got most of them).

In addition, if I remember right, a lot of the set are surprisingly fast/good at stealing, might want to look at that or pinch runners/carrying a few extra guys for platoons?

EDIT: I'm off work today around noon, I'll try to send you a PM later with more specific stuff when I get home and can look at the cards. My set is close to yours I think, most of the set up through the low diamonds.

Last edited by CrazyWR; 07-18-2019 at 11:01 AM.
CrazyWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:01 AM   #4
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Boosting your park effects works both ways. Your pitchers get punished...and punished hard.

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:24 AM   #5
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Changing park effects works for half of your games, what about the other half?
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:00 PM   #6
justpatrick
Major Leagues

I´ve never had any luck with tailoring my park for my team. It´s like plugging the hole in the dyke with one finger when a new hole opens somewhere else.

I too have high average, low (extremely low) power and middling gap, and I suspect the secret to scoring more runs lies in a combination of individual strategy, global strategy and proper placement in the lineup.
Now, when you tell me the answer to this formula we will both know.

justpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:25 PM   #7
Goliathus
Major Leagues

Negro Leagues have a lot of speedsters, right? I would crank up triple to 1.500. My personal thought is that gap alone without speed will not get someone to triple often so triple is a good category to crank up if you have the team for it or you have scouted (at least) your division and don't see a lot of gap batters with good speed. Good gap(although someone said only average, so YMMV) + good speed = more triples. You are bound to score if you can get triples.

I don't have much about global strategy and such to share. I don't think I get them to work well myself. I think if you are tinkering a lot and have not seen much improvement, you have probably hit the maximum potential of your team. Not much you can do after that.
Goliathus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:18 PM   #8
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Crank up stealing and baserunning. Probably hit and run too. Adjust park factors by jacking up batting average, doubles, and triples. Lower home runs.

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:19 PM   #9
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpatrick View Post
I´ve never had any luck with tailoring my park for my team. It´s like plugging the hole in the dyke with one finger when a new hole opens somewhere else.

I too have high average, low (extremely low) power and middling gap, and I suspect the secret to scoring more runs lies in a combination of individual strategy, global strategy and proper placement in the lineup.
Now, when you tell me the answer to this formula we will both know.
Have had great luck with park factors. You should see my ridiculous record.splits.

Old 07-18-2019, 02:46 PM   #10
chazzycat
All Star Starter

I can think of a few things:

1) Eye rating. OBP is more important than AVG...so if you're not at the top of the OBP rankings, try to work on that.

2) Baserunning. Having players who can stretch a base here & there or score from 2nd on a single will really improve the odds of scoring runs. I lean towards more aggression on the basepaths but LESS aggression for stealing bases. Stealing is easy to overdo...it backfires easily. Check the stats regularly to make sure your stolen base attempts are not hurting you, and adjust sliders accordingly.

3) Avoid K rating. When you are relying on singles to score, it's important to have productive outs and keep runners moving over. Strikeouts are the enemy for a contact based team.

If these things are all completely ignored, you could need 3-4 singles in the same inning just to score a run. That's fairly unlikely if you consider batting averages are typically below .300. But if you build your team around those ideas then it becomes much, much easier to score a run. Consider how many different possible combinations of events can occur, the ratings that influence these outcomes, and how runs are scored.

For example:
1) walk
2) single (runner advances to 3rd)
3) flyball scores the runner

So we have scored a run with just 1 base hit in that scenario. The runner advances to 3rd because he is a good baserunner with proper strategy settings, and the 3rd batter managed to hit a flyball instead of striking out because he's got a high avoid K rating.

or:
1) double
2) groundball moves runner to 3rd
3) runner scores in any number of ways

It's all about creating more scenarios where you have runners on third with less than 2 outs. Getting on base more, moving runners, and avoiding running into outs is how you make that happen. Then when you are in that position having the high Avoid K rating should help you convert the run more often as well.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:56 PM   #11
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
Offhand I'd say get Peak Aaron, Yaz, Ted Williams and Ruth. 99 Mays doesn't hurt either!

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:21 PM   #12
Cheesehead1964
Major Leagues

A lot of great ideas. Thank you all!

Probably too late in the season to adjust park effects, but some other things I can certainly look at.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:49 PM   #13
DawnBTVS
Major Leagues

Some other things to try out...

#1: Bunch your Gap/Power hitters towards the top of the lineup as they'll be generating the most at-bats. One thing I love doing in non-PT games is putting my two best Gap Hitters as my leadoff and #2 hitters then following up with the prototype big bopper types. May be a bit tougher for a Contact/Speed squad but I think it's still potentially do-able.

#2: Balance your lineup. If you have two guys who can get on-base well (high contact, high eye) then it makes sense to follow them up with a high contact, avoid K hitter who can put the ball in play and potentially drive them in if they are both on base. Same for following two players who can get on base with a high gap guy who can score 1-2 RBI with a well hit double or triple.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:05 PM   #14
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnBTVS View Post
Some other things to try out...

#1: Bunch your Gap/Power hitters towards the top of the lineup as they'll be generating the most at-bats. One thing I love doing in non-PT games is putting my two best Gap Hitters as my leadoff and #2 hitters then following up with the prototype big bopper types. May be a bit tougher for a Contact/Speed squad but I think it's still potentially do-able.

#2: Balance your lineup. If you have two guys who can get on-base well (high contact, high eye) then it makes sense to follow them up with a high contact, avoid K hitter who can put the ball in play and potentially drive them in if they are both on base. Same for following two players who can get on base with a high gap guy who can score 1-2 RBI with a well hit double or triple.
I also like to make sure that I have guys with obp and speed ahead of my gap bats. For example, I want to make sure I have Ichiro batting ahead of Boggs, since he's going to score on more of Boggs' hits than if they were the other way around. I also sometimes like to set myself up with a "second top of the order" towards the bottom of my lineup. Especially if I have a guy with more power than anything else (Chapman or K Davis for example), I might try them 6th, and then make 7-8-9 like a mini 1-2-3, with obp/speed the first 2 spots and a more power bat 9th, even if that power guy might technically be a little better than the others.

But that being said, everything changes depending who you have. All this doesn't matter if it would stack your lefties together to get mauled by a LOOGY. Or if you have 6 top bats and the bottom 3 guys are only there for their defense.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:14 PM   #15
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Exactly! My home and away records are significantly different than most teams in my leagues for my righty and lefty teams.

But Suzuki, Gwynn, Carew and Brett are creating run opportunities at the top of my order. .

Last edited by daves; 07-18-2019 at 10:19 PM.
daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:25 AM   #16
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead1964 View Post
My Negro League theme team always hit for average - usually among top teams in league. That's impressive in Perfect League, as I have the collection set through the low diamonds, but not higher diamonds or Josh Gibson.

But they never seem to score runs.

I've tried both small ball and sabermetric global strategies and things in between. I've tried to tweak a few of the player settings like making the faster players more aggressive on the base paths. And I'm constantly tweaking depth charts and lineups...

Any general tips at either the global or player specific level?
The general answer is, this is a pitching and defensive game. I have a great lineup of power contact and eye ratings with Ruth, Aaron, Brett, Vlad Future legend and so forth and I was still shutout and one-hit by Koufax. Go with pitching, defense and smallball.

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:51 AM   #17
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
They had the post though with the one guy who had an all-lefty rotation with park effects to help the lefty pitchers and his all-lefty batting lineup. Only half your games but there's nothing you can do about the other half. Guess this would work for most right-handed pitchers & hitters as well. But yeah, it could mess you up on the road as well.

If you played the all-righties team on the road, the advantage would sway just that much in the other direction.

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 12:17 PM   #18
Thundercrack
All Star Reserve

The most effective way to increase run production that I've seen is an all lefty lineup with boosted park factors. Consistently 1st or 2nd in runs scored in the conference.
Thundercrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:03 PM   #19
Cheesehead1964
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
The general answer is, this is a pitching and defensive game. I have a great lineup of power contact and eye ratings with Ruth, Aaron, Brett, Vlad Future legend and so forth and I was still shutout and one-hit by Koufax. Go with pitching, defense and smallball.

Yeah, the championship teams I've build were around pitching and defense. That's been harder to do as I've switched to theme teams, although the Negro League team wasn't bad at lower levels...
Old 07-20-2019, 05:39 PM   #20
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack View Post
The most effective way to increase run production that I've seen is an all lefty lineup with boosted park factors. Consistently 1st or 2nd in runs scored in the conference.
Am trying an all-righty team. No bueno.