Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:50 AM   #1
JimboGM
Minors (Single A)

"I am sorry, but I am not comfortable working in a foreign league"

This is the response you get when trying to sign personnel from different countries. This is a significant issue for those of us managing teams in international leagues. In one online league, I have a European team and I cannot sign any personnel because the vast majority are from the US or another non-European country. Even many of the European coaches give that same message and refuse to sign.

Please fix this...or at least add a check box for leagues to remove this option. As it stands, we cannot sign any personnel ourselves.

http://happybandits.com/ootp/online_leagues/sbc_main/- Geelong Cats

http://statsplus.net/cba/- Detroit Motors
JimboGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:12 AM   #2
SFGiantsFan
Minors (Rookie Ball)

If you enable commissioner mode, then you can sign anyone you want. If you are playing challenge mode then you are just out of luck unfortunately.

Last edited by SFGiantsFan; 03-28-2017 at 01:15 AM.
SFGiantsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:18 AM   #3
JimboGM
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGiantsFan View Post
If you enable commissioner mode, then you can sign anyone you want. If you are playing challenge mode then you are just out of luck unfortunately.
Challenge mode...or online league, which is where this issue is for me. This seems like it should be a simple fix...a check box to turn this option on or off.

http://happybandits.com/ootp/online_leagues/sbc_main/- Geelong Cats

http://statsplus.net/cba/- Detroit Motors
JimboGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:18 AM   #4
Lord PichuPal
All Star Reserve

I ran into this the other day in a fictional league where two of the lower level minors are in different countries (one is Canadian teams, the lower minor is Mexican and Caribbean teams) and when I tried hiring a coach for my single-A team in Mexico, I kept being told that. Even from guys who were from that part of the world, though eventually I found someone willing.

It's a nice touch but may need some tweaking.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:09 AM   #5
Kbo17
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Yeah we've run into this in our online league too. I run a team in the Netherlands and well there are only 1 maybe 2 coaches from that country. No one from the US, England, Ireland etc.. will come work for me. It is espically frustrating when I can not find a scout willing to become a scouting director for my team. I don't want to have to relocate because of bug.

It makes since that you don't want coaches going from Japan to the MLB but I feel like lower end American/British coaches would coach in another country. Espically when they understand English in that country and are not getting job offers.
Kbo17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:58 AM   #6
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

I had this in challenge mode. A great scout just sat there for 10 years since he didn't want to leave home.

This was also the mlb rosters so I had no other leagues going on.

Last edited by AirmenSmith; 03-28-2017 at 03:00 AM.
AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:11 AM   #7
Matt Uk
Major Leagues

What would also be useful for that is to have it available as a filter so you don't have to click lots of them only to find that out. If you could remove them from the list it would save a lot of clicking. Or simply have a filter to leave only those interested in signing.
Matt Uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:13 AM   #8
Rain King
Hall Of Famer

The issue before was that leagues would get overrun with foreign coaches/managers, so it sounds like it was tweaked too far the other way.
Rain King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:39 PM   #9
Woodman19
Minors (Single A)

I always found it a little frustrating that certain coaches won't go places no matter the money. I mean, sure I probably wouldn't want to go coach a bunch of 18 year olds in short season ball, but if someone offered my unemployed butt $500,000 to do it when I would cost only $80,000 to go somewhere I like should definitely get the job done.
Woodman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:46 PM   #10
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

I also think if you don't have any international leagues then the coach shouldn't say no.

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:15 PM   #11
TanzKommandant
Minors (Single A)

Huge issue. I'm also coaching in the Netherlands and am unable to fill coaching vacancies because there are next to no Dutch coaches available and coaches from any other country will not come in.
TanzKommandant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:27 PM   #12
BBGiovanni
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
I always found it a little frustrating that certain coaches won't go places no matter the money. I mean, sure I probably wouldn't want to go coach a bunch of 18 year olds in short season ball, but if someone offered my unemployed butt $500,000 to do it when I would cost only $80,000 to go somewhere I like should definitely get the job done.
Not to pile on or turn this into a big grievance thread, but I was always frustrated because it wasn't clear which coaches would or wouldn't consider your offer to coach in rookie ball etc. I also regularly try to reassign bad coaches to lower levels when I take over a team, and they routinely refuse because the job is beneath them (which was particularly frustrating when I had accidentally promoted someone when I meant to demote them!). It would be nice if there were some "guesstimate" indicator along the lines of what there is for draftees that are "hard to sign" or "impossible to sign" for your franchise.

Maybe this is better in 18, but I haven't used coaches in some time because that part of the system was an awful lot of guesswork.
BBGiovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:42 PM   #13
Woodman19
Minors (Single A)

They are a picky bunch considering there are so few jobs.
Woodman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:46 PM   #14
Scharbach
Bat Boy

Same problem here. Pretty frustrating to not be able to fill vacancies. Hopefully they can get this patched.
Scharbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:02 PM   #15
frangipard
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord PichuPal View Post
I ran into this the other day in a fictional league where two of the lower level minors are in different countries (one is Canadian teams, the lower minor is Mexican and Caribbean teams) and when I tried hiring a coach for my single-A team in Mexico, I kept being told that. Even from guys who were from that part of the world, though eventually I found someone willing.
The game needs to be a lot more sophisticated about how it deals with nationalities. It's not unrealistic that 90% of American coaches would pass on working in Europe. But a Belgian getting offered a job in Holland, a Puerto Rican being offered a job in Cuba ... those should be easier sells, especially given that there's no domestic league for them to work in.

I offered a suggestion that the game should recognize linguistic barriers, and another that you should be able to create "regional" leagues (e.g. pan-Caribbean or pan-European), instead of strictly national ones, but neither has gotten traction.

Last edited by frangipard; 03-28-2017 at 08:08 PM.
frangipard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:09 PM   #16
TanzKommandant
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBGiovanni View Post
Not to pile on or turn this into a big grievance thread, but I was always frustrated because it wasn't clear which coaches would or wouldn't consider your offer to coach in rookie ball etc. I also regularly try to reassign bad coaches to lower levels when I take over a team, and they routinely refuse because the job is beneath them (which was particularly frustrating when I had accidentally promoted someone when I meant to demote them!). It would be nice if there were some "guesstimate" indicator along the lines of what there is for draftees that are "hard to sign" or "impossible to sign" for your franchise.

Maybe this is better in 18, but I haven't used coaches in some time because that part of the system was an awful lot of guesswork.
This is something I've been hoping for and asking about for years. The feature has existed in the Football Manager series forever to filter out players/coaches who won't sign with you. Can't understand why OOTP can't or won't implement the same feature. It would save so much hassle.
TanzKommandant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:01 AM   #17
andyhdz
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frangipard View Post
The game needs to be a lot more sophisticated about how it deals with nationalities. It's not unrealistic that 90% of American coaches would pass on working in Europe. But a Belgian getting offered a job in Holland, a Puerto Rican being offered a job in Cuba ... those should be easier sells, especially given that there's no domestic league for them to work in.

I offered a suggestion that the game should recognize linguistic barriers, and another that you should be able to create "regional" leagues (e.g. pan-Caribbean or pan-European), instead of strictly national ones, but neither has gotten traction.
You can create leagues based on regions instead of countries that are already pre-defined or you can create them on your own by editing the world file.
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:23 AM   #18
Jamee999
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by frangipard View Post

FM tracks which languages players speak, and how fluently. This might be a good addition to the chemistry system. A guy's morale should (perhaps) drop if he can only speak Korean but everyone else on the roster only knows English or Spanish. But then, over time in the US, the player could learn (basic) English and the morale hit could drop away.
Jamee999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:41 AM   #19
TheGreenMagnus
Bat Boy

Angry

This is ridiculous. For all the things that this game does well, this seems like such a stupid mistake. I am running a team in the CPBL and spend half the off season asking staff to accept contracts.

At the very least, allow me to advertise the position so I have candidates applying rather than clicking on each person.

I play on Challenge mode, but this is ludicrous. Fix this please.
TheGreenMagnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:37 AM   #20
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

yes it is one of the more annoying features. A way to only see interested candidates would be a great feature.

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote