Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:30 PM   #1
kenyan_cheena
Hall Of Famer

The 2016 NBA Off-Season Thread

Time to look forward to the draft and free agency.

Dirk opted out, as expected. Not sure why they are talking about the Warriors going after him, though, seeing as the purpose of his opt out is surely to allow the Mavs to re-sign him for less and be able to go after some quality free agents...?
kenyan_cheena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:34 PM   #2
kenyan_cheena
Hall Of Famer

Also, apparently the Sixers have told Simmons they'll be taking him with the #1 pick.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:50 AM   #3
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenyan_cheena View Post
Time to look forward to the draft and free agency.

Dirk opted out, as expected. Not sure why they are talking about the Warriors going after him, though, seeing as the purpose of his opt out is surely to allow the Mavs to re-sign him for less and be able to go after some quality free agents...?
I really like Dirk, but he is old and not a great defender. Dubs could always use him, but it would be off the bench, and I'm not sure that's what he's looking for.

Not quite sure why there's talk of KD with the Dubs. I don't think he wants to go from 28ppg to 15ppg, and I'd think there would be a problem with point distribution if you have four big names that can score. Plus the Dubs payroll would be like 4 billion dollars.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:52 AM   #4
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Lebron just said he plans to stay in Cleveland....not a surprise.

LeBron James to return to Cavs to defend title in 2016-17 | cleveland.com
ohiodevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:27 PM   #5
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
I really like Dirk, but he is old and not a great defender. Dubs could always use him, but it would be off the bench, and I'm not sure that's what he's looking for.

Not quite sure why there's talk of KD with the Dubs. I don't think he wants to go from 28ppg to 15ppg, and I'd think there would be a problem with point distribution if you have four big names that can score. Plus the Dubs payroll would be like 4 billion dollars.

I don't see Dirk leaving Dallas. Unless we wants to chase one last ring and is tired of being the #7 seed in the west.

Dirk actually had a great offensive year but he is a self described Frankenstein on defense at this point.
Dirk would enhance any team he played on if you are willing to sacrifice on defense.
But he and Cuban have a fantastic relationship and I don't see it ending.
Dirk does not care about money at this time in his life and he does care about winning yes, but he loved Dallas and Cuban and most of all the Mavericks organization.
He is the most best European basketball player ever and his early yeas in Dallas were rough and the team was very good to him and he has never forgotten that.

As for Durant, I don't think he cares much about PPG. However, I also can't see him on the Warriors.
I cannot get a handle on him but I am betting on him being back in OKC next season.

I have heard rumors about the Thunder shopping around Ibaka.
I have also heard rumors about the Wolves shopping around the #5 pick.
Hmmm....both would be great fits. The Thunder desperately need a third offensive option and the Wolves would benefit from Ibaka who is still young and athletic.

The draft will be Simmons #1 and Ingram #2 but after that things get blurry.
Draft express has Dragan Bender going #8 and I think that is too low.

He is a fantastic passer at 7'1 and can even push the ball in transition and has some handles. I see him as the third best talent in this draft.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:30 PM   #6
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiodevil View Post

I don't think he will leave but I also don't believe anything until July 7th when ink hits paper.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:04 PM   #7
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiodevil View Post

No, not a surprise at all.
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs
Antonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:23 PM   #8
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Atlanta traded Jeff Teague to Indiana in a three team trade.

Atlanta Hawks trade Jeff Teague to Indiana Pacers, according to report | cleveland.com
Old 06-22-2016, 03:35 PM   #9
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Atlanta looks ready to hand things over to Schroder and possibly fit in Al Horford to his last big contract.
Getting the 12th pick in the draft is interesting and this gives them 2 in the first and 2 in the second.

If they looked to do a sign and trade with Horford then I think they could get some serious assets back.
If they keep Horford they have cap room to sign another big time free agent. And Atlanta is an attractive place to live.

I think the Hawks are the best chance the East has to send someone else to the Finals besides the Cavs.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:48 PM   #10
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Looks like D Rose to Knicks is done:

New York Knicks to acquire Derrick Rose from Chicago Bulls
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 04:10 PM   #11
Griever20
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribeFanInNC View Post
What could possibly go wrong with D-Rose?...(feels like Amar'e already...)

I like the fact that Atlanta will hand over point guard duties to Schröder full time... but I also predict him to struggle for extended streches still, so they should still carry a decent (veteran) backup as safety net...

As for Dirk, I feel like he is kinda tired waiting for a championship caliber team to form around him in Dallas. That of course has been the fact because the Mavs were always in the hunt with some short term contracts lately, but never were really good enough to pull off an upset, and not bad enough to really improve via the draft. (PS: That Rajon Rondo trade was pretty stupid in retrospect.)
Griever20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 04:53 PM   #12
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Manu Ginobili Opts out of Spurs Contract: Latest Details, Comments and Reaction | Bleacher Report
Old 06-22-2016, 05:28 PM   #13
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribeFanInNC View Post
Guess NYC surgeons aren't getting enough work.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:04 PM   #14
kenyan_cheena
Hall Of Famer

I think if I was Steph, I would take the idea of the Warriors pursuing Durant personally, because they are pretty much saying to him, "We don't think you are capable of winning another championship without another superstar of your calibre on the team."
Old 06-23-2016, 09:34 AM   #15
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
Yeah, that seems weird to me too. Less from the points perspective (I don't think KD would be the one losing points), but definitely from the $$$ perspective. They can only do what they have now because Curry makes like $11M and that already includes not bringing back Barnes.

Seems like another year in OKC makes the most sense for all. They were so close this year.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:20 AM   #16
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
=Griever20;4054109] What could possibly go wrong with D-Rose?...(feels like Amar'e already...)

I like the trade. The Knicks gave up very little of value and while I don't think Rose will ever be anywhere near MVP again I think he can be a valuable player.
And the Knicks gave up nothing of value in return.

Last edited by rudel.dietrich; 06-23-2016 at 10:22 AM.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:25 AM   #17
Griever20
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
I like the trade. The Knicks gave up very little of value and while I don't think Rose will ever be anywhere near MVP again I think he can be a valuable player.
And the Knicks gave up nothing of value in return.
You got a point there,they not only gave up nothing, and even traded away the $13M of Lopez' salary for 2017/18 in that deal. If Rose can turn back the clock for 2016/17, they have two studs on their roster and can generate some excitement

Question is, if the Bulls are accepting to get that little in return for Rose, how excited can you be about him?

It is a gamble that will not really help the Bulls' rebuild, won't win the Knicks a championship even if it works. That being said, it will be the most important year of D-Rose's career.
Griever20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:30 PM   #18
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griever20 View Post
You got a point there,they not only gave up nothing, and even traded away the $13M of Lopez' salary for 2017/18 in that deal. If Rose can turn back the clock for 2016/17, they have two studs on their roster and can generate some excitement

Question is, if the Bulls are accepting to get that little in return for Rose, how excited can you be about him?

It is a gamble that will not really help the Bulls' rebuild, won't win the Knicks a championship even if it works. That being said, it will be the most important year of D-Rose's career.

You don't need Rose to turn back the clock. You just need him to adjust to his new body. He is still athletic, just not breath taking athletic like he once was.
If he can focus on passing, pick and roll and shooting and pick his spots to get to the rim I think he will make it.
And the Knicks can be smart and manage his body. Let your back up PG start some. Play Rose 60-65 games a season and cap him at around 28 minutes.
His biggest enemy will be the New York media and their insane expectations.
I think getting out of Chicago will help him and I understand the fans and teams frustration with injuries but I have never understood fans getting upset at an injury. You think a player wants to tear his knees and have to have surgery? My guess is no. Rose cannot control random chance and him being born with his knee ligaments being 15% thinner than the average humans (I just made that up to get my point across)

If I was the Knicks I would let KP play center and try and find a stretch 4. Have an overpaid 6th or 7th man who is a PF/C combo who defends and rebounds and rolls to the rim (Bismack Biyombo comes to mind and this summer he is going to get PAID)
If the Knicks can add some shooting elsewhere then I really like their offense. KP I think is a real talent and I like where the Knicks are headed. Just don't trade anymore draft picks and for the love of God do everything you can to Jedi mind trick Carmelo into waiving his no trade clause and get at least something for him even if you get 20 cents on the dollar.

All in all I like this trade for the Knicks. Worst case scenario is that Rose keeps having injury issues and Grant develops into a league average starting PG.

And 2nd round picks are like lottery tickets. You have like a 10% chance of getting something good but when you do...
You get them super cheap for two years and it seems like everyone that succeeds goes through their entire career pissed off at every player who was selected ahead of them.
I like those players.

I also like this trade. Does it make the Knicks a playoff team? No, but it gets them a shot at reviving Rose, gets rid of Lopez and Calderon who is washed up (but I respect him and his pig farming stories) and Grant who is still a mystery but will be one of those players who is he gets good it will come out of almost no where.
But his per 36 numbers his rookie season were okay but not great. Under 40% shooting. His assists and rebounds were nice but the biggest factor against him is that he turns 24 in Oct.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:32 PM   #19
jeheinz72
Hall Of Famer

Yeah not sure I get the Kd-to-Warriors either. They'd have to gut their roster to fit him (No Iggy, Barnes, one of Bogut/Ezeli gone, and every FA gone). So the roster would be Steph, Klay, Green, KD, the remaining center, Livingston, Looney and whoever they get tonight in the 1st. Then basically unknown chaff (though I bet Clark and McAdoo could come back easily). Seems...dicey. But hey if they pull it off, it'll be one crazy ride next year that's for sure.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:27 PM   #20
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Report: Nets trade Thaddeus Young to Pacers for No. 20 pick, 2nd-rounder - CBSSports.com