Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Logos, Graphics, and HTML

Old 11-02-2019, 11:56 AM   #41
Ruwisc
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeray01 View Post
I like your stuff. What design program do you use? I use Corel Draw a lot although I haven't made a lot of sports logos.

I use Inkscape! It's not perfect, but it's free and available for Mac so it meets my criteria
Ruwisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 01:47 PM   #42
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruwisc View Post
Thanks! I guess technically I've already got a Brooklyn team, the Burros (middle-ish of page 1), but they're not Brooklyn-specific, that's just a New York team that I happened to put in Brooklyn. Been thinking about reworking that team anyway - it would be a good excuse to explore something that's uniquely Brooklyn instead.

Took a little bit of a break from OOTP for the last two weeks because I had a big deadline coming up elsewhere - that's now passed so I'm feeling recharged and ready to go!

CHARLOTTE FLYERS
Logos/Uniforms (Imgur)

It's not hard at all to make an expansion case for Charlotte - they fit right in with the current makeup of MLB markets (six current MLB TV markets are smaller), they already have teams in the NFL and NBA, and the South is not very heavily populated with MLB baseball at the moment. This is an area of the country that is ripe for an expansion franchise, & Charlotte is kind of an obvious choice for one. At least from games I've seen, they're one of the three most popular expansion cities for OOTP players, going along with Portland and Montréal, so this one will complete the set.

I've seen a lot of names floated for Charlotte teams, but I haven't seen this one yet and liked the idea. (I'm sure it's been done, but I haven't personally seen it.) The inspiration for Flyers is pretty straightforward - North Carolina is very proud of being the home of the world's first powered flight, even displaying "First in Flight" on the state's license plates. Coincidentally, the plates are red and light blue in color; I didn't plan to match that with this team's color scheme, but maybe I was thinking of it subconsciously. I guess I should note that Charlotte and Kitty Hawk are not particularly close to each other - in fact, Kitty Hawk is closer to Norfolk than Charlotte. But this is something that North Carolinians seem to take pride in as a whole so I'm OK with it.

The actual Wright Flyer, unfortunately, doesn't really translate nicely into a logo, at least not from my feeble attempt. So this is a slightly more modern plane, basically WWI-era. There are a lot of colors here, but I like the way they all interplay with each other.

The big C from the top of the primary logo also serves as the main cap logo, here in two color palettes. Due to the first having white outlines, they look different on this forum, but they're identical.

Jerseys and caps:

A ton of jersey options here. This is the first team I've done here where the primary home uni is a vest; there's also an away vest, or a regular away jersey with lots of brown instead of red, and an alternate jersey in both of those colors as well. Red caps for primarily red jerseys, and brown for brown as well.

Nice to be back at this again! I think the next city on my agenda will be Hartford.
Not crazy about the Brown... but it's just my opinion.
Much prefer Red and Blue.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 01:49 PM   #43
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Would Raleigh be a good town for MLB expansion?
Old 11-02-2019, 04:37 PM   #44
EdamameTommy
Minors (Double A)

Your logo work is phenomenal!
EdamameTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:32 PM   #45
Ruwisc
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Church View Post
I don't see why not - it's a bit small for MLB, but about the same size as a bunch of cities I've covered already like Oklahoma City and New Orleans, and larger than others I've done. They've become a pretty good NHL city so it could work. I want to finish the list of cities I started with first (it's in the first post of this thread), but I'll get to Raleigh when I'm through with those, along with some other cities like Birmingham, Orlando, Calgary, etc. I had a concept all drawn up for a team that would be called the Raleigh Oaks, but as you're about to see I'll have to come up with something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdamameTommy View Post
Your logo work is phenomenal!
Thanks! I'm especially happy with how Charlotte turned out.

Here we go with a double feature - I had promised Hartford last time, but inspiration was carrying me and I finished Tucson first. Here are both teams, sharing a plant-based inspiration!

HARTFORD OAKS
Logos/Uniforms (Imgur)

Hartford and Connecticut are in an interesting place sports-wise. They're close enough to both Boston and New York that it never really looks like a worthwhile target for expansion... and yet, Connecticut seems like its own distinct thing, separate from New York and separate from the rest of New England in a lot of ways (and in a way that a city like Providence isn't). Hartford's TV market is right on the edge of the bottom MLB markets at the moment, and being in an area where people already love the Yankees and Red Sox doesn't help, so if MLB is expanding to, say, 36 teams, I can see the argument that Hartford doesn't need a team, but if we're going to 40 and beyond, it starts to make a lot of sense.

It's funny that Raleigh came up in this forum and in this thread a bit ago, because Hartford and Raleigh have more in common than you would think - not only are their fortunes intertwined with the hockey team once known as the Hartford Whalers (now the Carolina Hurricanes), but they both have an affinity for oak. Oaks has been a popular name for Raleigh concepts that I've seen, so I'm letting Hartford exact a really small amount of revenge by giving them this name. Not that it doesn't fit well with Hartford (and Connecticut as a whole) also - the oak plays a surprising role in the city's colonial history, with the legend of the Charter Oak. In 1686, as King James II of England tried to take firmer control over the colonies that became known as New England, he appointed Edmund Andros as the governor. Connecticut resisted his authority, continuing to operate a state government with more autonomy than the crown wanted (as laid out by James' older brother, King Charles II). The following year, Andros made a trip to Hartford to confiscate the colony's Royal Charter, partly as a symbolic act and display of power. Legend has it that as the document was being laid out on the table in front of Andros, the lights were extinguished and the charter was scurried out the window to waiting hands, who hid it in a cavity inside the large oak tree so it couldn't be found. This was also a symbolic act (the charter is considered to have been dissolved on that day), and the tree was unfortunately knocked down in a storm in 1856, but the story remains as an embodiment of the revolutionary spirit. You've probably seen the Charter Oak tons of times before without even realizing it - it's on the reverse of the Connecticut state quarter.

I had the realization as I was putting this together, and trying to decide on a color scheme, that I haven't had any teams whose primary color was navy blue in quite some time. This is the perfect opportunity to change that, to make a nod to Hartford's previous ties to MLB. One of the founding members of the National League were the Hartford Dark Blues, and although they didn't last long it's the only major-league baseball Hartford has seen in its history.

Lots of oak-based imagery available to us here - not just the silhouette of the oak tree, but the symbol at the bottom is the distinctive shape of an oak leaf, and the entire logo is in the shape of an acorn.

The interlocking HO serves as the cap logo - for whatever reason, the other logos just don't look right as cap logos, but I like them as secondaries.

Jerseys and caps:

Pretty straightforward threads for the Oaks here, other than the lack of a traditional road gray uniform (just like the new Padres, I guess, but pretty similar to the old Padres color scheme). I think Hartford would probably keep it pretty traditional-looking baseball-wise, at least in comparison to the city I'm about to show you:

----------

TUCSON SAGUAROS
Logos/Uniforms (Imgur)

Compared to Hartford, Tucson, AZ is a much less realistic expansion target. In fact, when I was drawing this league up, Tucson was the very last city to make my cut (ironically, the city I would've picked in their stead was Raleigh). But the more I look into it, the more I'm surprised at how maybe-not-that-terrible of an idea this might be? I mean, let's not get crazy here, we shouldn't be giving Tucson an MLB team until things have gotten pretty wild - like, 50+ teams, probably - but it's not as outlandish as some of the other cities I will be or have been working on (notably, Syracuse and Reno, which are both much smaller). We do have here a metro area that's within the US' top 60 in population, so if you're expanding MLB as far as I did it's a no-brainer. It's far enough away from Phoenix that the two cities have developed something of a rivalry with one another, and although people in Tucson will gladly root for Phoenix sports teams there are enough of them that I can let them try out their own thing.

That probably wasn't the easiest expansion pitch, but thankfully for Tucson, the choice of name is really easy. Saguaro National Park consists of two separate areas of land on either side of the city, and the saguaro cactus is an iconic symbol of the Sonoran Desert that would be recognized anywhere. (For those unfamiliar, the word saguaro is, to English speakers, most accurately pronounced as sa-WAHR-oh without pronouncing the G; that's not 100% accurate to the language of origin but it's the best approximation we've got.) The choice of color scheme is then pretty obvious too - kelly green for a cactus, and a slightly yellowish orange for the desertscapes.

At the outset, I was inspired to make this team a pastiche of the branding of the '68 Mexico City Olympics - rounded edges, thin lines, multiple layers of outlining, etc. Those features were sanded off one by one over time but what's left is the simplified look of the central cactus itself. The background is a facsimile of the Arizona state flag put into this team's colors.

Alternate logos are pretty simple - I tried out a bunch of different T shapes but nothing really caught my eye, so we're sticking with the cactus as a cap logo.

Jerseys and caps:

For whatever reason, I was inspired to throw together a batting practice jersey for the Saguaros - the orange one of course. You're free to use it however you want to of course. Only one hat since it works pretty well with the whole set and green is our most important color.

----------

Two more teams in the books. I only have 11 cities left to go from my original list, it's starting to feel like I'm winding this down. I don't have anything else in the hopper right now so I'm not sure who's next, but I'm guessing it'll either be Buffalo or Las Vegas.

Last edited by Ruwisc; 11-11-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:27 PM   #46
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Just my opinion, the home white jersey lettering needs the yellow orange trim... really like the away jersey lettering... outstanding.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:27 PM   #47
Ruwisc
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Just my opinion, the home white jersey lettering needs the yellow orange trim... really like the away jersey lettering... outstanding.
I did try it out with the same style of outline but I wound up preferring the more bare version because of the pinstripes. Here's how it looks with, no harm in giving an alternate version:

Old 11-11-2019, 10:03 PM   #48
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruwisc View Post
I did try it out with the same style of outline but I wound up preferring the more bare version because of the pinstripes. Here's how it looks with, no harm in giving an alternate version:

Agree that the basic is better.

The yellow trim is too wide or too thick... doesn't look as good as your original version.

Thanks for the alternate anyway.

Really like the Tucson gray... that lettering is really nice... great contrast with the white and yellow trim.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 11-11-2019 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:10 PM   #49
Hageneezz
All Star Reserve

This is awesome!

I think I`m going to use these teams to set up another Major League, that runs besides the MLB
Hageneezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:40 PM   #50
Buster Cherry
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Not really. The NHL Hurricanes haven't drawn all that well since moving to Raleigh from Hartford. They would have been better served moving to Charlotte which has a history of strong support for minor league hockey. Also, college sports are very big in the Raleigh area. Fans support UNC, NC State, and Duke fanatically and will likely continue to spend their dollars there over an expansion MLB franchise. I just don't see Raleigh being a viable option for baseball expansion. It would be like putting an NBA franchise in Pittsburgh.

Last edited by Buster Cherry; 11-13-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Buster Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:13 PM   #51
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Cherry View Post
Not really. The NHL Hurricanes haven't drawn all that well since moving to Raleigh from Hartford. They would have been better served moving to Charlotte which has a history of strong support for minor league hockey. Also, college sports are very big in the Raleigh area. Fans support UNC, NC State, and Duke fanatically and will likely continue to spend their dollars there over an expansion MLB franchise. I just don't see Raleigh being a viable option for baseball expansion. It would be like putting an NBA franchise in Pittsburgh.
Good observation.

New Orleans is a Saints town and an LSU town... minor league sports wouldn't do well... I am surprised that the New Orleans Pelicans are doing fairly well... but I would think they will eventually leave, if they don't have winning team soon.

Baton Rouge is not a good minor-league town because of the LSU Tigers football, baseball and basketball teams.
We had two very good independent league teams, the Blue Marlins and the Riverbats, but they did not draw well... they won the pennants...good talent.. good level of play... Single A or Double A level... had ex-LSU players... and still didn't draw well.
However, it might have been a different story if LSU had allowed them to use their baseball field... but they didn't... even though the independent league would not have overlapped the college season very much.
Old 11-18-2019, 06:20 PM   #52
coco1997
Bat Boy

Nice job on these last few teams. A few suggestions:

-For Austin, I'd go with a slightly lighter shade of purple to contrast better with the green.

-For Hartford, I'd add some white trim to the road uniform as the dark blue and wheat gold looks a little drab without it.

Keep up the good work!
coco1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:22 PM   #53
Ruwisc
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco1997 View Post
Nice job on these last few teams. A few suggestions:

-For Austin, I'd go with a slightly lighter shade of purple to contrast better with the green.

-For Hartford, I'd add some white trim to the road uniform as the dark blue and wheat gold looks a little drab without it.

Keep up the good work!
Good call on Hartford - I had tried white on that uni in a few places but it turns out I really needed to commit to it. I think this is an upgrade:

Now, onto a new team entirely! This'll be the 20th in this series, so I'll be moving into the final third. I'll inevitably slow down a bit as I struggle to come up with names & logos for the final few teams (for the final ten cities, I have 4 names locked in, two more tentative and 4 others that I've been stuck on). I may reach out for help later on but something will come to me eventually. Anyway, here's Buffalo!

----------

BUFFALO BEACONS
Logos/Uniforms (Imgur)

Buffalo is an interesting city in the American sports landscape (and really in America in general). The city was an industrial center through the back half of the 19th century and early parts of the 20th century, although not famous nationwide for any particular industry like Detroit and Pittsburgh are and were; it benefitted immensely from the construction of the Erie Canal, and then from the many railroads that then came through the area, and was a manufacturing center for a lot of different industries. Like a lot of manufacturing centers, there's been a little bit of a population decline over the past few decades - the Buffalo area is one of the few major metropolitan areas that has actually had a population decline in the 2010s, along with Cleveland, Pittsburgh and a few others. An MLB expansion team in Buffalo has probably gotten a lot less likely in the last 30 years, but back in the 60s and 70s those league expansions would not necessarily look out of place with a Buffalo franchise. One of the reasons cited for why the NBA's Buffalo Braves failed (that team is now the LA Clippers) was that the city went from having no major professional sports teams to 3, all in the same year! The Sabres and Braves were expansion teams in 1970, the same year that the NFL-AFL merger occurred, adding the Bills to the NFL (although they'd been playing for a decade, and the AFL probably was seen as a major league anyway, but that would ruin my fun fact! ). It would be fun, to me, to hypothetically retroactively add a Buffalo team to MLB in 1969 to imagine how it would all shake out.

I've really grown to love the name Beacons for a Buffalo team because it's reminiscent of the city at its peak. Buffalo takes a large amount of pride in being one of the first major cities to truly take widespread advantage of electricity, and being right on the eastern shore of Lake Erie, to me, made a lighthouse an appealing choice. Even better that it's not a bovine animal - there's nothing that's really wrong with the current AAA name of Buffalo Bisons, but it's not very inspired. That's been a name for Buffalo teams back into the 19th century probably because it's so obvious.

As soon as the name came to me, the color scheme is obvious right alongside it - an electric blue and a bright yellow. Navy is a nice complementary third color, and really all three have equal status on this team. The lightning bolt and stars are lifted from the Buffalo city flag, which is also in appreciation of the city's history with electricity. And because it is still a Buffalo team, you've gotta put a buffalo in there somewhere - it works for the Sabres so I didn't break the convention there. The team's most distinctive visual element is the heavy use of drop-shadows, which aren't that common in MLB anymore (maybe only the Reds now?) but fit well with the light theme. It is an interesting quirk of this series that both Buffalo and Syracuse are very heavy on light blue, but I suppose that's only an issue if you have them in the same league (for me, Buffalo is an NL team and Syracuse an AL team).

I think every combination of these three colors looks pretty good, so you're getting a lot of variations here. The first 3 Bs are used as cap logos, but any of the 6 would probably look good as the standings/secondary logo (although probably not the navy ones if you use the dark theme like I do).

Jerseys and caps:

Pretty standard home-road-alt jersey setup, with a cap to match each.

That's Buffalo done! Like I said up top, I'll definitely be slowing down a bit as I struggle to come up with concepts for these cities that I've been having more trouble with. I would expect that either Las Vegas or Louisville will be next.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:33 AM   #54
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Very nice job, Ruwisc... and well-thought out as usual.

Here's my picky suggestion:
On the Home White, use Yellow Primary Lettering for Beacons with Dark Blue Trim... think you need more Yellow on it.
Or use Dark Blue Lettering with Yellow Trim.
Prefer no shadow lettering...in my opinion, it doesn't show up well in the game.

Like the White outline on the Blue Lettering on the Hartford Away Jersey... greatly improved it.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 11-26-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:32 PM   #55
teeray01
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Buffalo/Syracuse

I think between Buffalo and Syracuse, the Blizzard is the better concept.
I would love to a Buffalo Blizzard concept rather than two concepts with similar colors in the same state. Good work.
teeray01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:39 AM   #56
coco1997
Bat Boy

Not really feeling the colors for the Beacons. Good name and solid logos, but the pale greenish blue doesn't work for me. You can see how from a distance, the yellow and light blue trim bleed together visually and look like seafoam green.

If you want to keep light blue in the color scheme, how about making the road uniforms blue instead of gray?
Old 12-04-2019, 11:39 AM   #57
coco1997
Bat Boy

EDIT: Double post
Old 12-20-2019, 04:01 PM   #58
dishnet34
All Star Starter

These are really awesome concepts, and I hope you do more! I love the 66ers set, and am using it as one of my teams in PT!

"Find a way to be alone in a baseball stadium at sunrise, when the only sound you hear are about nine birds that got lost, and found themselves in a stadium, and they’re chirping across the grandstand trying to figure out where the f*** they ended up." -Dan Besbris

dishnet34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 09:06 PM   #59
oriole^
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Agree that the basic is better.

The yellow trim is too wide or too thick... doesn't look as good as your original version.

Thanks for the alternate anyway.

Really like the Tucson gray... that lettering is really nice... great contrast with the white and yellow trim.

I'll disagree with Eugene, here: I think that trim really improves the design greatly.

Hey, that's why we have chocolate and vanilla, right?

Visit The Boardwalk for Sports, Gaming, and other talk!
oriole^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:51 PM   #60
coco1997
Bat Boy

Any new teams coming any time soon?