Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 5 > FHM 5 - Dynasty Reports

FHM 5 - Dynasty Reports Talk about your FHM 5 dynasties here!

Old 02-09-2019, 06:34 PM   #1
Dkitson16
Major Leagues

Choose your own adventure: NHL

I'm starting an NHL replay beginning in 1917 with a Custom game. There aren't real NHL players but it will allow me to play a "What if" or "Choose your own adventure" style of NHL history.

So NHL history will look different.

Depending on interest your input may help choose the fate of the NHL.

There are three possible turning points in the first season:

1. Will Quebec be able to afford to play?
2. Will the NHL field a Toronto team while fighting in Court with Toronto Blue Shirts owner Eddie Livingstone?
3. Will the Wanderers arena burn down?

Name:  1917 Before Season Standings.PNG
Views: 1954
Size:  58.1 KB

I'll wait a day or two before proceeding to see if anyone has any input.

Hopefully the attachment worked.

Last edited by Dkitson16; 02-10-2019 at 04:10 PM.
Dkitson16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:58 PM   #2
JaytheGreat
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Interesting, I'll be following. As for the story lines I think the 1st 2 are the most interesting for the 1st season.
JaytheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:50 AM   #3
Dkitson16
Major Leagues

Alright season one is done.

Apparently I need a 6 team minimum and can't just delete teams to reduce to 4 or 5. So Quebec did join the NHL for its first season. Toronto was included despite a lawsuit by the Blue Shirts owner and at the very last minute Hamilton joined the NHL as the 6th franchise. And the Wanderers arena stayed intact meaning they finished the first season as well.

Canadiens defenceman Randy Blake led the NHL in scoring.

Hamilton finished tops in the standings but the Canadiens won the Stanley Cup.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 

Last edited by Dkitson16; 02-11-2019 at 11:51 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:50 PM   #4
Dkitson16
Major Leagues

The second season kicks off with great enthusiasm. All the team did well at the gate in the first season.

However there is concern. Three of the member cities: Ottawa, Hamilton and Quebec City are tiny with less than 100,000 people in the 1911 census. Seattle and Vancouver in the PCHA are much larger. Amateur hockey is starting to grow in the US, particularly Boston, New York, Pittsburgh (who once had their own pro league) Cleveland and St. Paul. To compete for the best players the NHL may have to grow.

At the end of the 1918-1919 season the Montreal Canadiens finished on top of the standings. Frank Martinez of Hamilton became the NHL's first 25 goal and first 50 point scorer. The Canadiens however are last in the NHL in attendance playing in the smallest arena: the Jubilee Arena seating 3200. The Wanderers by contrast play in the 10,000 seater Montreal Arena.

Quebec however went on to win it's first Stanley Cup.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 02-12-2019, 08:46 AM   #5
kinnikuniverse
Minors (Single A)

wow, they were that tiny back then? so different from the beautiful cities they are now.

I'd love for the original teams to stick around...but, realistically, I see one or two of these cities losing their team or moving. hope Ottawa sticks around, tho. who knows, maybe hamilton can get their tigers back when the copps colisseum gets built.

do you plan on merging the PCHA or WCHL with the NHL? cause i'd love to see Vancouver, Calgary, Seattle, portland, edmonton and the Saskatchewan teams in, so that we can have a western conference....but, since the recession is right around the time the league disbands, I think it'd be futile to do such a thing...

also, for the canadiens's arena problem, when does the forum gets built?

Last edited by kinnikuniverse; 02-12-2019 at 08:48 AM.
kinnikuniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:00 PM   #6
Dkitson16
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinnikuniverse View Post
wow, they were that tiny back then? so different from the beautiful cities they are now.

I'd love for the original teams to stick around...but, realistically, I see one or two of these cities losing their team or moving. hope Ottawa sticks around, tho. who knows, maybe hamilton can get their tigers back when the copps colisseum gets built.

do you plan on merging the PCHA or WCHL with the NHL? cause i'd love to see Vancouver, Calgary, Seattle, portland, edmonton and the Saskatchewan teams in, so that we can have a western conference....but, since the recession is right around the time the league disbands, I think it'd be futile to do such a thing...

also, for the canadiens's arena problem, when does the forum gets built?
On review if I had known about the 6 team minimum earlier I would have run a classic NHL (not adding QUE and HAM at the start) and run the PCHA in a second conference, assuming that would work. If I get more input to add them now I may. Or if I run another "Choose your own: NHL" in the future I may do it then.

Small error on Montreal arenas, on further research it appears the Canadiens also played out of the larger Montreal Arena before it burned down. Mount Royal is used by 1920 and the Forum is built by 1924. Still I only plan on one Montreal franchise surviving the depression.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:21 PM   #7
Dkitson16
Major Leagues

1919-1920 Review

Livingstone's legal actions have forced the Toronto Arena Company to sell the Toronto franchise which was renamed the St. Pat's by the new owners.

We recently discover that Quinn who purchased Quebec last year may be working with Livingstone to start a rival league in Canada and the US. If this proves true we'll have to deal with him.

The PCHA continues to drive up player salaries and a new "amateur" league in the US is starting next year. The US Amateur Hockey Association is already paying players to move south. We may have to seek a deal with the PCHA or expand south to grow our game and control costs.

At the end of the season Toronto finished first overall but the Canadiens won the Stanley Cup. Still only the Wanderers and Toronto had strong attendance.

LW Russel Vance scored the most goals and points.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 02-12-2019, 11:33 PM   #8
Dkitson16
Major Leagues

1920-1921 Season in review.

Quebec finished tops in the NHL and faced Ottawa in the Stanley Cup.

Quebec came out on top 2 games to none winning their second Stanley Cup.

Winger Frederic Claremont of the Wanderers topped the NHL in goals adn points.

The Canadiens moved to the much larger Montreal Arena and increased their average attendance to 3,447. Unfortunately Ottawa, Quebec and Hamilton continue to draw poorly. Hamilton's attendance plummeted to 320 a game.

A new league the Western Canadian Hockey League is starting in Alberta and Saskatchewan next year. Competition from the PCHL continues to be strong. The "Amateur" teams in the US are also a factor.

Question: since the NHL needs a 6 team minimum (or FHM 5 does anyway) and Hamilton and Quebec have issues what should be done?

Give Hamilton more time? Move them to Toronto as a 2nd team? To a US city (New York, Boston or Pittsburgh)? Fold the franchise and seek a "merger" deal with the PCHA?

In Quebec Quinn was working with Livingstone on a rival League. We've taken the franchise back from him but need to find a buyer, relocate the team or fold it and seek a PCHA merger.

Your input is welcomed.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 02-13-2019, 07:26 AM   #9
kinnikuniverse
Minors (Single A)

at this point in time, it was pretty hard to travel from the east coast to the west coast, so any merger with the PCHA would be moot.

oof, Hamilton not drawing flies I think they'll be the first to move. Boston has always been a hockey place, so i suggest they move there. Hamilton can get a team back later in the future when the copps gets built.

as for Quebec, i'd say give them more time. if it doesn't improve, then send them to new York. that new York money simply can't be refused, and growing the league in the states absolutely must include a team in new York. plus, they'd get a cup-winning team already, and we all know the Yankees love winners...

Last edited by kinnikuniverse; 02-13-2019 at 07:28 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:45 PM   #10
Dkitson16
Major Leagues

Do to a corrupted save I lost this season. A post below will show the "do-over"

1921-1922 Season in review

Hamilton was sold to Charles Adams in Boston and the Tigers were relocated there and renamed the Bruins. They rose from dead last to 4th in the League. Adams is trying to get a larger Arena built.

Attendance was still a problem (whcih appears to be a game glitch). Even in a larger market with improved fan loyalty, attendance stayed around 300 a game. I'll have to tweak things further until Boston attitudes reset.

The American connection of Donovan Tyler (born Houston) and Cody Frankell (born Virginia Beach) lead Ottawa to its first Stanley Cup. Tyler sets a new goals record 28. Frankell sets new records for assists 35 and points 60.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 

Last edited by Dkitson16; 02-15-2019 at 01:36 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:09 PM   #11
kinnikuniverse
Minors (Single A)

Talking

great stuff! and yeah, only 300 people per game is near impossible for Boston, it must indeed be a glitch.

also, a hockey player from Houston? in that time period? this really is fantasy, all right!
Old 02-15-2019, 02:19 AM   #12
Dkitson16
Major Leagues

Do-Over 1921-1922 season

As I noted above a corrupted save led to losing the previous version of this year. This allowed me to try and "correct" the Boston attendance issues.

Season Recap.

Hamilton folded and Charlie Adams of Boston was granted an expansion franchise. The Bruins finished last overall (8 points in 30 games) but led the NHL in attendance selling out every game in the Boston Arena (7,500 with standing room).

Ottawa finished 1st overall but the Canadiens stole the cup. Despite 3 cup wins the Wanderers are still outdrawing them.

Ed Bradshaw of Quebec set new NHL records for goals and points.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 02-15-2019, 03:04 AM   #13
Dkitson16
Major Leagues

1922-1923 Season

The Canadiens finish tops in the NHL and win their second straight Stanley Cup beating their cross town rivals the Wanderers.

Ottawa's Fenkell led the league in goals and points

Boston finished dead last but was still 3rd in attendance leading the NHL to consider further US expansion.

The Wanderers again finished tops in attendance but the Canadiens are closing the gap with 4 cups in 6 years. The fanbases are still mostly divided between English and French. Quebec is dead last in attendance at just under 2000 a game.

Toronto continues to feel the financial pressures of the Livinstone lawsuit.

Out west the PCHA and WCHL are playing an interlocking schedule but their attendance is starting to wane.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
Old 02-15-2019, 07:23 AM   #14
kinnikuniverse
Minors (Single A)

oof...quebec is having an awful time drawing fans. I think the next season or two is gonna be their last chance. if it still fails, send them to new York.

the two west coast leagues having attendance problems too... I would suggest merging with these leagues, but considering the time period and the travel costs around that time, I don't think it's possible...

come on, Ottawa! I believe in you!

toronto needs some new owners, they need financial stability after that lawsuit. maybe they can talk to Livingstone about fusing the blue shirts and the st. Patrick's.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:33 AM   #15
Dkitson16
Major Leagues

1923-1924 Season
The Canadiens finished first overall and Ottawa squeaked past Quebec to make the playoffs.

The Habs won their 3rd straight cup.

Out west Seattle, the only US based team to win the cup has folded and the PCHA and WCHL have merged fro next season.

William Schulz, Ottawa's young star set a new assist record at 41 and led the league in points at 50.

Quebec dropped to an average 1,780 fans. The rival league rumours with Livingstone won't go away for Bulldog owner Quinn.

We are considering selling an expansion franchise to New Yorker "Big Bill" Dwyer. It's the prohibition era and his nickname is "Bootlegger". Do we even care as long as the cash is green? Our good friend Thomas Duggan recommends him. New York has supported several teams in the USAHA and it is a location Livingstone is also rumoured to be looking at. But the new Madison Square Garden won't be ready until 1925-1926 season.

We also record the Hamilton franchise history below.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image Image 
Old 02-16-2019, 01:02 AM   #16
kinnikuniverse
Minors (Single A)

au revoir, Quebec...for now, at least. new York's gonna get a fine team. very important market for growth in the US.

please survive, Ottawa! you have some great players for the future!

also, the two west coat league fusing together. interesting. now if only they last long enough so that we can merge with it once travel costs and length for east coast-west coast travels gets shorter and cheaper...
Old 02-16-2019, 01:10 AM   #17
Dkitson16
Major Leagues

1924-1925 Season Review

The Habs finished first overall with Ottawa second.

The Habs won their 4th straight Cup.

Different Senators led the league in goals, assists and points.

Attendance was strong in all but one market: Quebec. Which leads to our next news.

Jakub Jilik of Quebec wins his 4th Defenceman of the Year; TIm MacCord of Ottawa wins his first Goalie of the year and Cody Frankell of Ottawa wins his first MVP.

We confirmed Quinn was seeking to move the Bulldogs to a rival league to be started by Livingstone. Given this, lack of another buyer and the poor attendance we've cancelled the franchise. 1924-1925 will be their last season.

New York. Bootleg Bill Dwyer has been granted a franchise to be named the Americans. He is however complaining about a lease clause Tex Rickard is trying to insert into the Madison Square Garden lease allowing Tex to operate another NHL team there if he wishes. Should we intervene? We really need to get this new League started to head off Livingstone who is looking here and ...

Pittsburgh. James F. Callahan bought the USAHA franchise but is having trouble negotiating the purchase of the Yellow Jacket name. He may seek baseball's Pirates permission to use their name. Should we step in so the iconic Yellow Jacket name can be retained? Pittsburgh has a strong hockey history and had their own pro league of 4 teams in the 1890's

With pro teams no in 3 key markets the USAHA folds.

The Wanderers are looking to re-brand as the Maroons, due to a shift in ownership. Should we intervene?

Out west the Regina team is transferring to Portland. The Western Pro League continues to falter. If we can drive them under we can collect most of the best players under the NHL banner.

As always input is welcomed
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
Old 02-16-2019, 01:47 AM   #18
kinnikuniverse
Minors (Single A)

well, the way I see it, new Yorkers love them some in-city rivalries, so i think that yes, maybe tex can have his rangers...? I just don't want new York to be oversaturated.

Pittsburgh? cool! the yellow jacket name is awful, though. is it too early to call them the penguin? I don't think people in the 20s were open enough to think penguins are cool...

sure, they can become the maroons. a name change doesn't hurt anybody.

yknow what, I'm actually tempted by the idea of merging with the West coast...but them travel costs, tho...i mean, Vancouver, Calgary and Seattle can get their franchises later, I guess.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:14 PM   #19
Dkitson16
Major Leagues

1925-1926 Season Review

Pittsburgh chose the Yellow Jackets name and the Wanderers didn't rename as the Maroons.

With the increase to 7 teams the schedule expanded from 30 to 36 games. Four teams now make the playoffs.

The Wanderers finished first overall. The final however was between Ottawa and Toronto with the first Stanley Cup to go outside of Quebec going to Ottawa!

With the expanded schedule Fenkell of Ottawa set a new points record with 65. He also tied the league record for goals (27) and teammate Scholz led in assists.

Ottawa goalie Tim Mac Cord was the first goalie to break the 100 career win barrier and won goalie of the year.

Canadiens defencemen Randy Blake won his 5th Defencemen of the year award.

Wanderers Belorussian goalie Pyatrow set the single season save percentage record at .915 and had a GAA of 1.94.

All the American teams failed to make the playoffs, but the new teams helped increase average attendance. The Americans had a good year (as most first year teams do) averaging over 14,000 in the new MSG. Pittsburgh sold out Duquesne Gardens averaging 5,657 a game. Toronto however was last in the league but still over 4,000 a game. The Wanderers strong season pushed them over the 11,000 mark.

Out west the merged PCHL and WPHL is folding.

Given the American teams success at the gate we're looking to expand again by 3 teams bringing the total to 10. We have 5 different applications from Detroit, 3 from Chicago, and 1 each from New York (Tex Rickards), Cleveland, New Jersey and Hamilton.

Bootleg Bill of the Americans is lobbying against the New York bid and wants 2 Chicago teams. Detroit will have to play in Windsor as they don't have a suitable arena yet.

Hamilton? To soon we all still remember your 300 fans a game average.

Quebec's (now defunct) history is set out below
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image Image 
Old 02-16-2019, 01:17 PM   #20
Dkitson16
Major Leagues

1926-1927 Season Review

The New York Rangers, Detroit Cougars and Chicago Blackhawks were added to the NHL. The NHL split into 2 divisions a Canadian and an American. Boston played in the Canadian division, but we are considering rotating the US team in the division.

Montreal topped the Canadian division and Chicago managed to top the American division. But Ottawa and the Americans met in the final with Ottawa winning its second straight Stanley Cup.

Ottawa's 38 year old Fenkell set new league records for goals (44) and points (83) with the expanded schedule. Scholz (OTT) set a new league record for assists (48).

Toronto ownership had to sell due to ongoing legal costs. A group in Philadelphia led by CC Pyle offered $200 K. Querrie accepted a lesser bid from Conn Smythe to keep the team in Toronto. The team was renamed the Maple Leafs.

Philadelphia is by far the largest city without a team with a "metropolitan" population of 2,407,234 in the 1920 census. More than twice the size of Pittsburgh or Detroit and about 50% larger than Boston. Ottawa by contrast still has less than 200,000 people and Toronto is not even 1 million yet. Future expansion site?

Livingstone bought a franchise (Chicago) in the new and supposedly semi-pro American Hockey Association. We're going to have to deal with them. They want a working agreement with the NHL but we'll never do that with Livingstone involved. They also have a competing team in Detroit.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image