Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:12 PM   #201
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rink23 View Post
I know he is an all-time great and would probably be the starting center fielder on any all-time team.
But since when has the World Series MVP award been named for Willie Mays and why?
He played in four of them -- three with the Giants and one with the Mets, when he was well passed his prime -- and only won one.
That coming in 1954 when he hit .286 with no homers and three RBIs. Although his famous throw and catch and throw of a long fly ball hit by Vic Wertz to dead center of the Polo Grounds did occur in that series.
Wouldn't Yogi Berra, who ranks No. 1 by being part of 10 World Series championships, have been a better choice?
Berra, because he played in so many in the World Series, ranks near the top of many of the game's offensive categories.
Don't look for logic in anything happening in the Rob Numbfred era.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:36 AM   #202
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Champs Again -
Attached Images
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:15 AM   #203
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Grim satisfaction. Any more taunting from Puig and Machado, hmmm?

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:28 AM   #204
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

All the red statements below are wrong. All the green ones turned out true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
World Series Predictions:

No clue who's gonna win or how long it'll take. But I am convinced of the following:

- Relief pitchers will toss more innings than starting pitchers.

- At least one conventional relief pitcher on each team will toss either at least 10 innings, or two innings per game (whatever is less).

- A starter will be yanked in the first inning after having had the audacity to throw ball one.

- There will be a game with no more than four runs scored that ends in regulation and still takes more than 3:45 to play.

- Either Yasiel Puig or Manny Machado will do something outrageous earning them wholesale condemnation, but not earn them actual punishment.

- Joe Buck will be terrific.
According to my count there were 56.2 innings tossed by starting pitchers; 48.1 innings by relief pitchers.

I will give myself the last two, because Manny Mouthful stepped on another first baseman and I could not find anything on a fine for that. Puig was just the usual punk.

And how do you not love Joe Bu- OKAY, OKAY.

Quote:
- Joe Buck will be terrific.
Happy now!?

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:01 AM   #205
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

21st Century has been good to Boston sports fans.

Since 2001:

5 Super Bowls
4 World Series
1 Stanley Cup
1 Larry O'Brien

11 Championships to celebrate in 18 years.

Well done Boston.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:31 AM   #206
dsvitak
Hall Of Famer

Joe Buck is an asshole. Seriously.

I have met him twice, and both times I wanted to slap the smirk off of his face.

He created a restaurant chain, here in St. Louis, called "J. Bucks." On the door was a picture of his father at a microphone. The food was overpriced, and both restaurants quickly out of business.

Another reason they went out of business is that the St. Louis community did NOT like how he tried to make a buck off of his dad's name.

On another note, I am a meteorologist. He once stated, on national TV, how he hated weather guys, and he would LOVE to have a conversation with one. Well...I met him, and we had a conversation. I talked, and told him to STFU.

This loser, JOE Buck, went to the the University of Missouri, flunked out, and got a job, due to his wonderful dad's influence. He is a no-talent hack, living off of his father's reputation.

Puig, Machado, and Joe Buck. Hard to find any other sports figure I loathe more. Curt Schilling, for sure, and maybe a few others.
dsvitak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:58 PM   #207
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

Bad news: Red Sox won.

Really good news: Dodgers lost.

As for Joe, I still refuse to believe Joe Buck is Jack's kid. Nope, Mrs. Buck was carrying on with the mailman while Jack was on road trips. No other explanation makes sense.

Last edited by ThatSeventiesGuy; 10-29-2018 at 01:01 PM.
ThatSeventiesGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:34 PM   #208
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

The pairing of Buck & McCarver was the last straw that made me watch baseball less. I tune Butt out whenever he does a game, baseball or football. I seriously wonder why some of these announcers rise up to these plum assignments. Even if you do believe Buck is good at what he does, do you really think he is the best @ baseball AND football??? No one would think Bo Jackson was the best at both sports, so why is it considered a possibility that Butt is? I was so afraid they were going to have Butt do the Rams game yesterday, then helicopter him to Dodger stadium. Give us a break from hearing his snobby @$$.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:03 PM   #209
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Didn’t shout for either team, I have a few relatives stateside most follow football (Packers) a couple are baseball fans one supports the Red Sox but he’s a butthole and the Dodgers have a butthole (Machado) playing for them. I suppose the lesser of two evils won.

First 2 games I watched on MLB tv but the more I watch sports on tv the more I get bored with the commentators, in fact I’ve got to the stage I’m not a fan of any tv commentator. Anyway game 3 I listened to the Dodgers radio broadcast on MLB tv but for some reason it sounded like a siren kind of noise in the background, so switched to the Red Sox feed for games 3, 4 and 5 and decided next season to listen the radio feeds for the live games I’ll take, sadly the games I’ll be catching up on will be TV games as they don’t archive the radio broadcasts.

I think the enjoyment of the radio broadcasts take me back to when I first got into baseball in the mid 80s listening to armed forces radio, uneven quality as some nights you’d hear the whole game but mostly you’d hear the first two outs of an inning then static then next thing it’d be one out in the next inning that would carry on for the rest of the game.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:15 PM   #210
canadiancreed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
21st Century has been good to Boston sports fans.

Since 2001:

5 Super Bowls
4 World Series
1 Stanley Cup
1 Larry O'Brien

11 Championships to celebrate in 18 years.

Well done Boston.
Now I remember why I miss the 20th century
canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 03:36 PM   #211
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancreed View Post
Now I remember why I miss the 20th century
I miss it too, but not because Boston franchises have won a few titles this century.

I was at least 18 yrs younger than I am now