Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:25 AM   #161
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightdreamer2k View Post
Now we also have Lynn to add into the mix.
Yes, you have to figure that out of the bunch that we have, there ought to be a five-man rotation now.

I'm a bit uneasy with parting with Tyler Austin but he really wasn't going to be starting with Greg Bird perched on first, as long as Bird stays healthy. So okay. What I really don't get is trading Adam Warren for this "international bonus pool money" which seems to be the new MLB currency.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:08 PM   #162
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

I'm not one of those rabid fans who cannot tolerate any negativity, any pessimistic assessment of their team's chances. And I have been wrong before, many times. But I am now facing apparent facts.

It's the 7th inning and the Yankees have one hit. Halfway through this series, and looking at the standings and the calendar, I would say that we need to call the BoSox our daddies this year.

We're about to go to 7.5 games back and they are going back up toward .700 ball. .700 ball, in August! They outclass us in every respect; that's rather obvious.

If I end up being wrong, then great! I'd be very happy to be wrong. I'd also be unapologetic because no one can blame me for this assessment at this point. Frankly, it would take an epic collapse by Boston to make this race competitive again.

- Bru

Old 08-04-2018, 06:21 PM   #163
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
I'm not one of those rabid fans who cannot tolerate any negativity, any pessimistic assessment of their team's chances. And I have been wrong before, many times. But I am now facing apparent facts.

It's the 7th inning and the Yankees have one hit. Halfway through this series, and looking at the standings and the calendar, I would say that we need to call the BoSox our daddies this year.

We're about to go to 7.5 games back and they are going back up toward .700 ball. .700 ball, in August! They outclass us in every respect; that's rather obvious.

If I end up being wrong, then great! I'd be very happy to be wrong. I'd also be unapologetic because no one can blame me for this assessment at this point. Frankly, it would take an epic collapse by Boston to make this race competitive again.
I agree we are getting our butts kicked, I just think we met Boston at the wrong time. Injuries, poor recent performances by Severino. I don't think we will win the division but we could make the playoffs and have another run in us like last year and just go further.

I like what Cashman did by adding Lynn, Happ as I think in the long run they will pay off. Gray will go to the bullpen and hopefully he can become some kind of super reliever like Severino became that one year. All of a sudden our offense went away. I think we can do better.
knightdreamer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:41 PM   #164
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Never say never! Some teams suddenly get hot, while others cool off. For me, seeing the process play out is part of the fun. Watching my guys do their best is part of the way I celebrate life. Even on a losing team in a losing season, interesting individual stories emerge to entertain and amaze.

I was disappointed to hear about the injury to Judge. But that will give others a chance to step up.
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs
Antonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:09 PM   #165
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Thanks, guys. Oh yeah, I never stop rooting for and enjoying the Yankees, even when they are at their worst which is far from the story this season (their win percentage would put them in first in every other division except the AL West, where they would be one game behind the Astros). It's just frustrating that they played so well up until this point but it's like trying to catch a comet.

But the playoffs are season #2 if one survives the wildcard game (which I don't really count as the playoffs).

- Bru

Old 08-05-2018, 09:05 AM   #166
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

Man, if it works out that the Yanks are in the wild card game, and you can go, do so.
It is an immensely intense experience. I was shocked at the emotion and intensity of that game when your team is in it. It for me was way more intense than the world series games, for example.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:58 AM   #167
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

having your season depend on one game is much more fun than 7. scarcity breeds demand.

I also listen to music no one's ever heard of in hopes of looking cool and alternative.
TheMaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:14 PM   #168
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdrop01 View Post
Man, if it works out that the Yanks are in the wild card game, and you can go, do so.
It is an immensely intense experience. I was shocked at the emotion and intensity of that game when your team is in it. It for me was way more intense than the world series games, for example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaus2 View Post
having your season depend on one game is much more fun than 7. scarcity breeds demand.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I'll take a wildcard game over the alternative!

It's just going to be weird - and I KNOW that other teams/fans have been in this situation - whereby they Yankees could win 100 games this year (they only have to go 32-21 the rest of the way) and be one-and-done in October. Weird.

That's if they take a wildcard, that is, thinking in the other direction. The Yankees are 3 1/2 games up on Oakland, true, but only 6 games up over Seattle for either wildcard position. They keep playing the way they have over the past few weeks (forget about the past three days) and they may have a problem even getting a wildcard.

- Bru

Old 08-08-2018, 01:28 AM   #169
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

The last boston game was brutal. Blowing a lead in the ninth like they did hurt.

I like Lynn starting though! No runs given up in a Yankee uniform.

Gray can come out of the bullpen and be long relief like he did tonight.

Need Judge back and old Sanchez, so the Yankees offense can be a strength rather then merely decent.

Once in the playoffs anything can happen. So here is to hoping for success in the future.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:57 AM   #170
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Here's my assessment of why the Yankees finally could not keep up with the BoSox, things that happened recently.

On the batting side:
  • Judge getting hurt.
  • Stanton cooling off recently.
  • Gregorius coming back down to Earth.
  • Torres not being the same since his injury
Sanchez has sucked the entire season, so I can't include him. Romine has been decent but Higashioka cannot hit. In addition, having guys like Shane Robinson and Luke Voit in the lineup at any time is a bad sign. I miss Tyler Austin already even though Lynn may be helpful.

On the pitching side:
  • Severino coming back down to Earth, hard.
  • Sonny Gray continuing to be a disappointment.
  • The bullpen, particularly Chapman, having some spectacular meltdowns recently.
  • Green and Robertson are not as good as they were last year.
  • Kids like Adams and Loaisiga not fulfilling their promise, yet.
Montgomery has been hurt forever, so I cannot include him. Happ getting hoof and mouth disease didn't really hurt anything, I don't think; Adams did fill in for him adequately the other night. It's just that, when you look at the Yankees pitching rotation now, you see a bunch of #3, #4, and #5 starters, not #1 and #2. Not right now.

- Bru

Old 08-11-2018, 07:04 PM   #171
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

Quote:
Here's my assessment of why the Yankees finally could not keep up with the BoSox, things that happened recently.

On the batting side:
  • Judge getting hurt.
  • Stanton cooling off recently.
  • Gregorius coming back down to Earth.
  • Torres not being the same since his injury
Sanchez has sucked the entire season, so I can't include him. Romine has been decent but Higashioka cannot hit. In addition, having guys like Shane Robinson and Luke Voit in the lineup at any time is a bad sign. I miss Tyler Austin already even though Lynn may be helpful.

On the pitching side:
  • Severino coming back down to Earth, hard.
  • Sonny Gray continuing to be a disappointment.
  • The bullpen, particularly Chapman, having some spectacular meltdowns recently.
  • Green and Robertson are not as good as they were last year.
  • Kids like Adams and Loaisiga not fulfilling their promise, yet.
Montgomery has been hurt forever, so I cannot include him. Happ getting hoof and mouth disease didn't really hurt anything, I don't think; Adams did fill in for him adequately the other night. It's just that, when you look at the Yankees pitching rotation now, you see a bunch of #3, #4, and #5 starters, not #1 and #2. Not right now.

I was gonna come on here and dispute your claim of 3,4,5 pitchers, but then Tanaka had his start. I think Lynn has been a breath a fresh air, taking over for Gray, and Happ has been solid as well. Prior to last nights game Tanaka was also good. CC is steady pitching like a decent 4 more than anything.

Where we struggled for so long is with having a bunch of minor leaguers pitching in the 4 and 5 spot when Tanaka was down.

Our offense looks too shaky right know. They have been getting it done, just not something I trust. If I had to say what is currently our weak link I would say it is our offense. I think our bullpen is our strength and now our starting rotation gives you hope of a win every night since 1-5 we can send a solid starter to the mound.

I agree we do not currently have any 1 or 2 starter. I am hopping Serevino, can get back to pitching the way he did earlier. I think everyone else is closer to being solid 3 types.

Last edited by knightdreamer2k; 08-11-2018 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:58 AM   #172
Tony M
Global Moderator

Obviously as a Red Sox fan this has been a great season so far but you can't say the Yankees aren't having a great one too. There are 28 teams with worse records and it looks likely the Wildcard game will be between two teams with better records than the AL Central champions! Maybe they should list the 3 division winners and 2 wildcards in record order and the bottom 2 play the one-off match
Old 08-13-2018, 11:52 PM   #173
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

I think they should just skip Sevy's next start. When an ace like Degrom is on the mound and you score some runs you need to prevent the other team from crossing the plate.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:18 PM   #174
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

A .627 winning percentage, and yet 10 games out of first. Mind-boggling.

The Red Sox are fifty (50) games over .500!

- Bru

Old 08-14-2018, 11:23 PM   #175
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

Quote:

There was an interesting article that perhaps the Yankees should concede. I happen to agree with this.

I think this would be good for CC, Chapman, and Sevy. just rest some players, as long as the Yanks can have home field advantage.

My worry right now is who would you pitch in a 1 game playoff? I would think Sevy a lock if you asked me a month ago, now that would be risky.

We just don't have the depth to catch a team like Boston.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:12 AM   #176
Tony M
Global Moderator

Quote:

The 2001 A's record of .630 and 14GB could well be under threat at this rate!
Old 08-15-2018, 12:31 PM   #177
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightdreamer2k View Post
There was an interesting article that perhaps the Yankees should concede. I happen to agree with this.
I am not a fan of that approach for a number of reasons. First, you are conceding not just the race but that the team ahead of you is better than yours. To me, that sets a bad tone because, essentially, even if you were to meet and beat that team in the playoffs, you knew that they were better and deserved to win. Instead, here we are, "stealing" the title from them. Un-unh.

Second, it also says, "relax until October guys" and that's bad for two more reasons: One, they may relax so much that they even lose the wildcard - they're only 3 1/2 games up on the Mariners. Two, they may lose their competitive edge in the meantime - all of a sudden, on wildcard day, they're told "hey, this means something, play hard now." It may not work that way.

Third, although I may lament and cry here, sounding like it's all over, I never want to concede because of pride. Let the BOS SOB's earn their prize by holding their feet to the fire if we can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony M View Post
The 2001 A's record of .630 and 14GB could well be under threat at this rate!
Dubious company, considering what happened to them in the playoffs (a fond memory) but they had five games of opportunity! Not just one.

- Bru

Old 08-15-2018, 09:44 PM   #178
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaus2 View Post
having your season depend on one game is much more fun than 7. .
Maybe, but it's not good for the blood pressure.
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs
Antonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:04 PM   #179
ry1220
All Star Reserve

Bru, what happens when this team wins 100 games and only plays 163?
ry1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:04 PM   #180
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ry1220 View Post
Bru, what happens when this team wins 100 games and only plays 163?
Well, if you are looking for a headline like "Bru, perennial Yankees fan, jumps off bridge in despair," you will be disappointed. Life does go on and there's always next year.

- Bru