Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: FAQ

Old 05-07-2009, 01:28 AM   #1
Ghetto Anthony
Minors (Double A)

Trades Tips in General?

I'm new to online leagues and I need tips on trading in general.

I have an all-star pitcher on my team. He's 26 and my team is BAD. I don't think my team will be able to compete for many, many years. My team is on route to be in the red this off-season too, so free agency is probably not an option. Is this a situation where you trade him high and try to get prospects and picks?
Ghetto Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:27 AM   #2
satchel
Hall Of Famer

If you simply cannot afford him, you should trade him. No reason to lose him for nothing.

But I'd call good starting pitchers the most valuable commodity in an online league. If you're going to be competing within four seasons, and you can hold onto him, I'd try to.
FL New Orleans Black Sox ’56 ’57 ’58 ’59
satchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:47 AM   #3
kq76
Global Moderator

If you really don't see yourself being able to compete without an infusion of lots of talent, then trading the good players you do have for good prospects is probably your best bet. Be careful not to just take what you can easily get right now if you have the rights to that player for more than just that season though. Sometimes it pays to hold onto a player a season or two longer. Yes, his value might go down in that time, but it might also go up and the situations of other teams might make them more interested.

Satchel's entirely correct that a stud SP is often the most valuable commodity in an online league, but even their value can fluctuate even if their performance doesn't. He's also right that if you're going to probably lose him to free agency then it's probably best to get at least something, unless of course you're truly insulted by the offers you get.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:59 AM   #4
Kelric
Hall Of Famer

Even if you don't trade your ace pitcher, do you have any serviceable veterans on your club? See if you can trade one of those guys off for a decent prospect or low level draft pick. The more youth you get in your organization when you can't compete, the better chances you'll have when you think you can.

Even better is if you can trade some of your expensive guys for anything you can get, then go sign affordable decent veterans and then trade them off for even more picks/prospects.
Kelric is offline   Reply With Quote