Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 07-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
martyjay75
Minors (Double A)

Schedule Problems

I'm in the 4th season of a Padres franchise that I started in OOTP 11. Each season, I've imported to OOTP 12, 13, and now 14. Since the second season I've noticed some issues with schedules not being generated for my Short Season-A affiliate. I think this initially had to do with my trying to shift some other teams' minor league affiliates to reflect real-life changes in MLB. I'm not sure what I changed that cancelled out the computer auto-generating a schedule for that league.

This year (going into the 2013 year of an MLB season) the league spontaneously expanded adding two teams to the AL. (In my league, Houston is still in the NL-Central). I noticed a couple things as I've entered the "preseason." First, the schedule for MLB doesn't include any interleague games. I'm assuming this had to do with the expansion teams.

Also, aside from my AA-team, none of the other affiliates seemed to have schedules generated. I'm assuming this is because the league added two MLB teams plus all their minor league affiliates. When I try to generate them, a message pops up saying can only do so in preseason. Problem is, I am in preseason. So, my questions are:

1. Does each minor league have a different "preseason" start date?
2. What would I have to change in league settings to get some interleague games?

I want to try to avoid what I had to two in the two previous seasons. I had to manually create a schedule for my Short Season-A team and it's entire league. Which as it stands now, I would have to do again as well as my AAA, both class-As and Rookie League teams.
martyjay75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

You must have dynamic league evolution turned on. This will allow possible expansion and a lot of other changes, including, I believe, turning off interleague play.

If you start editing league structures and moving teams around, you're inviting problems. There isn't a feasible way to have have minor leagues evolve and change like they did in real life. The best bet is to have permanent affiliates at each level and not move them around or edit/delete teams or league structures. You can safely rename the minor league affiliates, but otherwise I'd advise against doing anything more drastic.

Also, what does the game status say. Does the indicator at the top of your screen say it's preseason? Or do you just think it's preseason?
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
martyjay75
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Hough View Post
You must have dynamic league evolution turned on. This will allow possible expansion and a lot of other changes, including, I believe, turning off interleague play.

If you start editing league structures and moving teams around, you're inviting problems. There isn't a feasible way to have have minor leagues evolve and change like they did in real life. The best bet is to have permanent affiliates at each level and not move them around or edit/delete teams or league structures. You can safely rename the minor league affiliates, but otherwise I'd advise against doing anything more drastic.

Also, what does the game status say. Does the indicator at the top of your screen say it's preseason? Or do you just think it's preseason?
Yes, I had evolution turned on, but I didn't see interleague play as a variable that was able to evolve. Looking at the schedule settings I saw that the interleague box was still checked.

To answer your other question about the game status, if I'm looking at the right area (left side of the calendar strip), it says ML Preseason (Feb 3rd or 4th if I remember correctly). I just wasn't sure if all schedules were generated at the same time for both MLB and MiLB. I know the rookie and short season A have later start days and earlier end days.

The other thing I noticed is, for the affiliates who did have schedules generated, their records/standings reset on the given teams' home screens. So, as of the first day of ML preseason, a schedule was generated for MLB (with no interleague games), AA and one of my class A teams. Everyone else sits with no scheduled games for 2013 (yet) and last seasons standings and stats.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:18 AM   #4
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Well, I have to say it. TURN! OFF! LEAGUE! EVOLUTION!

Also, the minor league preseasons begin a few days later, so the schedules SHOULD generate on those dates. If not, you should do it manually during spring training.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:57 AM   #5
martyjay75
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post

Also, the minor league preseasons begin a few days later, so the schedules SHOULD generate on those dates. If not, you should do it manually during spring training.

I kind of like the fact the league expanded spontaneously. That being said, I am finding it a bit of a pain finding suitable logos, unis and ballparks for the expansion teams and all their minor league affiliates. However, I might disable all the other random factors that might effect rule changes. The only thing for me that's a bit of a bummer is that I can't figure out a way to get a schedule with these new expansion teams that includes interleague play.

Anyhow, after investigating the scheduling problem for hours, I was able to get schedules generated for all affiliates except for Short Season A and Rookie League. Although, I'm still in preseason for MLB (mid-Feb according to the calendar), I would imagine my Arizona Rookie League team should generate a schedule some time in mid-April during my MLB franchise's 2013 season.

My Short Season Single-A team is another story. I make the rookie mistake back in 2011 of moving other teams minor league affiliates to fit with their real life counterparts. As I looked back into previous seasons using OOTP 11 and OOTP 12, I saw that originally for that league I had a schedule loaded from a file dated to 2010. I looked at the current settings for that league and it's set to load a schedule from a file dated to 2012. I saw that one team from that league had switched affiliates from the Oakland A's to the Toronto Blue Jays. Now I'm assuming that that one little switch between the 2011 and 2012 seasons is what had been preventing my Short Season-A's team from auto-generating a schedule. These past 2 seasons.

So I guess my revised question would be this, if I import the schedule for that short season A league from the file dated 2010 so that it matches the teams with their correct affiliates, should that allow a schedule for that league to auto-generate some time in April of the 2013 calendar?

Also, is there somewhere that says exactly when "preseason" is for minor league leagues? All I can see from the manual is that it begins 30 days before opening day in leagues with spring training and 60 days in leagues without.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:19 AM   #6
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Gotta agree, to an extent. Options like schedule length and expansion can screw up your league royally. I do, however, leave it on, for team relocations and nicknames. All that does is change the name of the team, doesn't affect the league structure or anything. I use it to tell me when a team is relocating, and then choose their new city/name myself.

But that's the only part of League Evolution that really works without messing stuff up.

Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #7
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Yes. Turn it off. Turn off storylines too.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #8
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

Interleague play isn't a variable in league evolution, but from several posts I've read it appears that when MLB expands, it does something or other to the structure that prevents it from scheduling interleague games. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me but that's what I remember.

I have both evolution and storylines on. Evolution works pretty well in my opinion, but you do have to pay attention to what it does to your league or it really will mess things up (the AL dropping the DH in my Astros game made all my no-D 1B in the minors worthless, but that's different). Storylines too, but they do have some drop that don't really make rational sense. Like a Cuban defector quitting baseball to play golf two months after you signed him to his first contract.
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:05 AM   #9
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivertheorem View Post
Interleague play isn't a variable in league evolution, but from several posts I've read it appears that when MLB expands, it does something or other to the structure that prevents it from scheduling interleague games. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me but that's what I remember.
bwburke explains it pretty well in the link in his sig.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #10
martyjay75
Minors (Double A)

Quote:

During Spring Training for MLB? If OOTP's definition of "preseason" is 60 games before the opening day, I guesstimated that this would fall sometime in mid-April. I decided to move on with my 2013 season and it's non-interleague schedule. I guess I'll wait and see if the final two affiliates' schedules generate.

My guess is that my Short Season-A team is going to have problems with generating a schedule as it has since starting my 2nd season in OOTP 12. When I get to April-ish in MLB, I'll see if it generates. If not, I might try loading the original schedule file for that league as I had it during my first season in OOTP 11.

Is there anywhere on team screens or league settings saying when preseason actually starts for shorter season affiliates? All I can find for those leagues is their Opening Day.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:20 AM   #11
martyjay75
Minors (Double A)

Just noticed another couple of annoying things about the non-interleague schedule generated for my 2013 season. They are all 3-game series and several series are ending on Saturdays and beginning on Sundays. Occasionally, I have off days on Saturdays.

Not a huge deal, but, it makes for a monotonous trek through the 2013 season.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:46 AM   #12
martyjay75
Minors (Double A)

So, I'm still slowly plodding through my most successful season after 4 years at the helm of the Padres. It's mid-June, draft day for the 2013 season, we're in 1st with a 6 game lead and for the first time since 2011 my short-season A team in Eugene finally auto-generated a schedule. But, noticed my Rookie league team still has no schedule. Does anyone know when these typically generate? Is it after the draft typically? Or should it have generated by now?