Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations

Old 04-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Questdog's Names for OOTP 14

I've sent a new file to OOTPmods.com with 3 distinct name sets in it. One for 19th century baseball, one for 1970, and one for baseball post 2000.

All three include only names of the highest quality and are guaranteed to make your baseball universe come to life with players that seem like the real thing.

Testimonial from a user of a previous Questdog name set:

"I just switched to Questdog's Modern Name Set. Wow! It was like when TV went from black and white to color. Great job. Thx QD "
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

These are now posted at OOTPMods.com in the Others section. There is also a news item about the mod on the main page.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:54 AM   #3
RANGER11JP
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
I've sent a new file to OOTPmods.com with 3 distinct name sets in it. One for 19th century baseball, one for 1970, and one for baseball post 2000.

All three include only names of the highest quality and are guaranteed to make your baseball universe come to life with players that seem like the real thing.

Testimonial from a user of a previous Questdog name set:

"I just switched to Questdog's Modern Name Set. Wow! It was like when TV went from black and white to color. Great job. Thx QD "
Hi Questdog,
For those Ludites like myself, who have neither a b&w or color tv, could you give a quick instruction on the proper use?

Thank you.
JP
Old 04-26-2013, 06:06 AM   #4
zroberts1991
Minors (Triple A)

Hey when I try to download it from OOTP Mods it just sends me to a a page with a bunch of gibberish. If I click any other file on the site it'll download to my desktop right away. Don't know if anyone else is having this issue or I'm just special.
zroberts1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:06 AM   #5
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER11JP View Post
Hi Questdog,
For those Ludites like myself, who have neither a b&w or color tv, could you give a quick instruction on the proper use?

Thank you.
JP
Unzip all the files to your data folder (.....\Documents\Out of the Park Developments\OOTP Baseball 14\database or where the folder is if you set it up somewhere else).

Then replace the original files in the folder that match the new ones (after backing them up....you can do that by renaming them ORG_filename.txt). Rename the set you want to use by deleting the preface from each (i.e. 1870_names.txt becomes names.txt). All three use QD_nick_names.txt (it is just a blank file to eliminate nicknames from the game).

Then start up a new game!

If you want to use them on an existing game, it will work, but you only need the two names files (names.txt and first_names.txt). And you need to edit the USA in game through the nation editor to use 100% names from the US (modern) list if you are using the 1870 set and 88% US (modern), 12% US (historical) for the other two. Then you need to re-import the name database from the league setup page.

P.S. Any time you update the game with a patch, these files will be written over with the original files, so you'll have to re-install them.....

P.S.#2 You can't eliminate nicknames from a game that already has them, so using the blank nicknames file won't work on a game already started with the original file....

Last edited by Questdog; 04-26-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:09 AM   #6
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zroberts1991 View Post
Hey when I try to download it from OOTP Mods it just sends me to a a page with a bunch of gibberish. If I click any other file on the site it'll download to my desktop right away. Don't know if anyone else is having this issue or I'm just special.
I just downloaded it without a hitch....
Old 04-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #7
zroberts1991
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
I just downloaded it without a hitch....
Yeah I dont know. I've been using your name set for the past couple years and I currently have a league in 1904 so the 1800 name set is really enticing.

But for the life of me I can't download your file from ootpmods. It just takes me to a webpage with a bunch of code. I'm able to download every other file off of their site except for yours for some reason.

Do you have the download being hosted on any other sites by chance?

Last edited by zroberts1991; 04-26-2013 at 05:35 PM.
zroberts1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #8
CatKnight
All Star Starter

Questdog let me beta-borrow his 1970s set when I was considering an NFL type fictional league. It was amazing. I recommend it highly!
CatKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #9
pjburrage
Bat Boy

Quote:
If you want to use them on an existing game, it will work, but you only need the two names files (names.txt and first_names.txt). And you need to edit the USA in game through the nation editor to use 100% names from the US (modern) list if you are using the 1870 set and 88% US (modern), 12% US (historical) for the other two. Then you need to re-import the name database from the league setup page.
So using this method, we could effectively use the 1870 file to start a game then move to the 1970 file when I reach the 70s, and then the 2000 when I reach the 21st Century?
pjburrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #10
RANGER11JP
All Star Starter

Hi Questdog,
Thanks for the help. My biggest issue seems to be setting up the nations in the game. Also, I made a change to the WORLD XML that is described in it's header. Will that make a difference. I am confused by what those instructions really do, as well.
Regards,
JP
Old 04-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #11
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjburrage View Post
So using this method, we could effectively use the 1870 file to start a game then move to the 1970 file when I reach the 70s, and then the 2000 when I reach the 21st Century?
Not without some editing of the files on your part.....the early sets don't include the names from countries that didn't produce players during the era to save memory space.....

Or you could, theoretically (haven't tried it), just start with the 1870s set, and then add the new countries manually to the world through the editor before importing the next set of names.....

One of these days (don't hold your breath), I will make a set of files akin to my old set that let you change the names every decade. Though they will be of much higher quality than that old set......

I need to make three more sets to let that happen...one for 1900, 1925, and 1950....and each set takes a looooong time to produce.....but then you could change the names every 25 years....

Last edited by Questdog; 04-26-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:03 PM   #12
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hi Questdog,
Thanks for the help. My biggest issue seems to be setting up the nations in the game. Also, I made a change to the WORLD XML that is described in it's header. Will that make a difference. I am confused by what those instructions really do, as well.
Regards,
JP
I need more info......what is the change and are you making it to the world.xml file I included or the default one?.....

Last edited by Questdog; 04-26-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:50 AM   #13
RANGER11JP
All Star Starter

Quote:
I need more info......what is the change and are you making it to the world.xml file I included or the default one?.....
Hi Questdog,

I had made the change to the default world.xml

"use_hardcoded_ml_player_origins - either 1 (=yes) or 0 (=no)"

I made the change to 0 in the file. Would or should I do that in the xml file you provided? What are the effects of this?

Regards,

JP
Old 04-27-2013, 12:57 AM   #14
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hi Questdog,

I had made the change to the default world.xml

"use_hardcoded_ml_player_origins - either 1 (=yes) or 0 (=no)"

I made the change to 0 in the file. Would or should I do that in the xml file you provided? What are the effects of this?

Regards,

JP
it should already be set in my files to zero.....

Markus had hard-coded the percentages of players from various countries into the game to match real life major league baseball of the present day......setting the flag to zero told the game to ignore the hard-coded values and use the baseball quality setting of each country to determine the percentages......however, I suspect with the new setup options in leagues for player creation, the flag might not serve a purpose any longer.....all new games seem to default to the hard-coded values regardless of the flag setting and you have to manually set them during league creation.....

A quick and simple and effective setup for these files is to click on the button to set the value to 100% for the host nation and then set the random nation % to 8 for the 1870 set, 12 for the 1970 set and ~25-30 for the post 2000 set.......this will allow the foreign players to be determined via the baseball quality settings in the world_xml....of course, if you are using the post 2000 set, the game's default settings are good too (though you will get more players from countries that really haven't sent any major leaguers to our shores)....

Last edited by Questdog; 04-27-2013 at 01:04 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:21 AM   #15
siobhan
Minors (Single A)

In the years I've done OOTP, this always tends to be my favorite mod because I love the realistic variety in names that comes from it. I'm glad you've updated it for OOTP 14.

However, I did notice that the modern version of the world_default file has some strange baseball quality ratings; most notably, the United States has a rating of 0. A lot of other prominent nations are much lower than they should be, but that's the most striking. Is this intentional or just an accident? The other two world_default files do not have this problem.

Either way, keep up the good work.
siobhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #16
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

The baseball quality of the USA does not matter, unless you are setting your league in a different country. It was set to 0 in the default file that I was editing and I thought it must have been set that way for a reason, so I left it alone as it didn't matter to my set up. The other countries have their baseball quality set so that the percentage of players from them will be correct for the year 2000 (using the old method from OOTP 13, which you can still replicate in OOTP 14, if you desire). The same is true of the 1870 file: it is set to get the percentages right for the initial pool pf players. After that, I edit the countries manually as time goes by to keep them in line with reality. With the new method of being able to set the exact percentages from countires, I need to make a new file with the precentages rather than baseball quality ratings.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #17
siobhan
Minors (Single A)

I think it makes sense now. Just seemed kind of strange when I first noticed it. Thanks for the clarification.
siobhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #18
GiantYankee
All Star Starter

Questdog,
I plan on using your ethnicities, first_names, names, and nicknames-2000. Just want to confirm that I need to change the world_default file as well. Thanks for this great mod.
GiantYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #19
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Yes, you need to use the world_default.xml included, else there will only be Caucasian Americans in your league....

if you prefer the default file for some reason, you can still use it, but before you start your league, make sure to edit the ethnicity portion of the USA to match what I have in my file.....
Old 05-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #20
GiantYankee
All Star Starter

Quote:
Yes, you need to use the world_default.xml included, else there will only be Caucasian Americans in your league....

if you prefer the default file for some reason, you can still use it, but before you start your league, make sure to edit the ethnicity portion of the USA to match what I have in my file.....
Your world_default works for me. Just wanted to be sure. Thanks again.
GiantYankee is offline   Reply With Quote