Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 09-29-2011, 07:46 PM   #81
kmaslan621
Bat Boy

I've played since v6 and did not know of this feature is it new? lol

Anyways to those who have used this and default creation, does this create more balanced draft classes that aren't RP dominated?
kmaslan621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:35 PM   #82
kenjabroni
Bat Boy

So how many teams can you have in feeder leagues before it significantly adds time to your load time of your sim?

We have a traditional league and would love to add feeders, but out download right now is about 45 minutes. I read through everything here and see many different ranges of what people put into their leagues but how much more time does it add?

Thanks
kenjabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:48 AM   #83
kenjabroni
Bat Boy

Just to add with our league, without feeder teams our file is 54MB. Can anyone tell me what size their file is with feeder teams, and how many feeder teams are in that file?

Thanks
kenjabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #84
griffeyin98
Major Leagues

how do feeders effect file size for online leagues?
griffeyin98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:26 PM   #85
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Just my 2 cents but I don't really see this as a problem. I would think for the game to have an up and coming talent pool at the proper level it is going to have to create some players.

I think feeders have to be a bit abstracted so we can have a baseball world where 126 HS and 50 College teams are able to make a class of players that are draft material. The alternative is to make a real amateur baseball world with many thousands of HS teams and thousands of College teams that would bloat save files\load times beyond what most would want.

Hey, FM does it in the football\soccer world so I would assume it is possible but would it be worth the coding time? Not likely when you consider most FM players do not load all leagues but pick and choose so they have a game that will actually run on their machines. I think you'd end up the same way with OOTP.
can't it be done this way in OOTP as well? After delving into FM 2012 the last couple of weeks...I am really seeing the glaring weaknesses OOTP has compared to it. FM is far deeper. You'll see people say "oh they are both good and it depends on what you are looking for", but make no mistake, FM is unparalelled in it's representation of the real football world. As manager, you are making all the same day to day decisions a real manager would make. OOTP needs to strive to be this.

Last edited by PSUColonel; 11-03-2011 at 07:31 PM.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:25 AM   #86
Dogzilla
Major Leagues

Generate Players for X Rounds?

I'm not sure how to set "Generate Players for X Rounds". When you're using feeder leagues, what does this actually do? I don't want the game to generate any players for the draft, just to fill my feeder leagues with minimum-age players, and make maximum-age players available for the draft.
What am I missing?
Dogzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:27 AM   #87
boshk
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogzilla View Post
I'm not sure how to set "Generate Players for X Rounds". When you're using feeder leagues, what does this actually do? I don't want the game to generate any players for the draft, just to fill my feeder leagues with minimum-age players, and make maximum-age players available for the draft.
What am I missing?
i believe that is only used for when you are creating draftees.
boshk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:27 PM   #88
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
can't it be done this way in OOTP as well? After delving into FM 2012 the last couple of weeks...I am really seeing the glaring weaknesses OOTP has compared to it. FM is far deeper. You'll see people say "oh they are both good and it depends on what you are looking for", but make no mistake, FM is unparalelled in it's representation of the real football world. As manager, you are making all the same day to day decisions a real manager would make. OOTP needs to strive to be this.
I like both games but sometimes the depth is distracting in FM. You also have the problem of much much longer processing time. FM = dial Up. OOTP = broadband. Granted the stuff that has to happen is much more than in OOTP but the speed difference is very telling. I can easily finish a season in a few hours if I sim and just play GM. It takes a couple of days of significant playing time to do that in FM 2011 even if you do go on vacation for the game.

Also baseball does not have the same depth in general. Things like training are not all complicated. Technical skills deal with batting and pitching not a whole host of skills like heading, finishing, technique, etc. That many ratings for baseball does not make sense and that is part of the reason FM is slow too many ratings that the game has to calculate development for and too many ratings in each decision. For instance shooting on goal takes at least 3 steps to determine if the shoot is even on target much less if the keeper can stop it or how he will!

The problem right is not you can't simulate 1000s of college and HS teams the problem is more the game is not set up for that. It would generate way too much talent. Right now the game is set up to generate about 25% of feeder players who can be minor or major league players. To simulate as much as FM does would mean more like 1% or less. To me it is not worth the slowing down of the game just to see have places like Paris Texas have their high school represented in a playable or even non-playable league. The college and HS DB is great if you don't want feeders and want to see guys from real HS and colleges.
Biggio509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:30 PM   #89
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogzilla View Post
What am I missing?
That is if you want more players than needed for draft rounds. If you use only feeder league players it does nothing. If you use feeder league players + created players or have no feeders than it will create extra players beyond what is created in feeders to fill how the X number of rounds of you choose.

Example.
40 round draft create players for 45 rounds will give you enough players for 40 rounds which means you have undrafted free agents. If your feeders only create enough for 40 rounds then the game will generate extra players until there is enough for 45 rounds. If you choose feeder league players only it will do nothing.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:53 AM   #90
Dogzilla
Major Leagues

Thanks Boshk and Biggio, that's what I needed to know.
Dogzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:35 PM   #91
clamel
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
That would be the day. FM is lightyears ahead on most departments, but the interaction with the players (us and the creator)

Then football (europeanstyle) is also much bigger than baseball to be sure.

One issue on creating new leagues outside the "factory"-made coming with the FM game should be a great help in OOTP when trying to create Independent Baseball leagues.
clamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:22 PM   #92
theoutlaw3212011
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Finally started my historical league beginning in 1987. Have played till May when the Draft Pool list is populated. 2 problems. One its light, 801 players when formula says it should have been 910. But I don't find this too much of a problem. The 2nd one is that it has populated it with duplicates of historic players already present in the game. I didnt have time last night to see just how many, but I know from playing the games out that the list contained some that I have already seen in games. My question is this...did this occur because this is the startup year for the league? Or do I have something setup incorrectly?
theoutlaw3212011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:50 PM   #93
OutS|der
Hall Of Famer

when is your draft? with historical drafts its a good idea to set the draft till after NOV so that the game won't generate historical rookies twice or mess up thier starting year.
OutS|der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:10 PM   #94
theoutlaw3212011
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutS|der View Post
when is your draft? with historical drafts its a good idea to set the draft till after NOV so that the game won't generate historical rookies twice or mess up thier starting year.
its the default. without looking i assume that would b early june. i figured that was what happened. but the players that r duplicated already appearred..would moving the date keep them from appearring early?
Old 11-19-2011, 11:47 AM   #95
theoutlaw3212011
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoutlaw3212011 View Post
its the default. without looking i assume that would b early june. i figured that was what happened. but the players that r duplicated already appearred..would moving the date keep them from appearring early?
n also..with the draft supposed to be 35 rounds. and there only being enough to draft 25. will that lock it up?
Old 11-30-2011, 02:09 PM   #96
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

No. It'll just draft only 25 rounds of players.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #97
Cinnamon J. Scudworth
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggio509 View Post
That is if you want more players than needed for draft rounds. If you use only feeder league players it does nothing. If you use feeder league players + created players or have no feeders than it will create extra players beyond what is created in feeders to fill how the X number of rounds of you choose.
A question related to this. I'm planning to create a small-ish league and I want to try to use a feeder league for the first time. I don't want to create a huge number of additoinal teams, though, so I'm planning to just create a small college conference (based on the conference my own alma mater is in) and leave the rest of the pool to be created by the game.

My question is, does that tilt the balance of the overall pool in any way? For example, will there now be more college players than in a normal, automatically generated draft pool, or does OOTP react by creating more high school players?
"Sometimes, this is like going to a grocery store. You’ve got a list until you get to the check-out stand. And then you start reading People magazine, and all this other [stuff] ends up in the basket."

-Sandy Alderson on the MLB offseason
Cinnamon J. Scudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #98
spleen1015
Hall Of Famer

I'm pretty sure that if you only have a college feeder league, then you will only have college players in your draft. The game doesn't create HS players. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #99
Cinnamon J. Scudworth
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I'm pretty sure that if you only have a college feeder league, then you will only have college players in your draft. The game doesn't create HS players. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.
I'm envisioning having enough college feeder teams to produce half of my draft pool. The other half would be automatically generated by the game, using the "Feeders plus generated players" option. I'm just wondering if I should plan on having a higher proportion of college players in the pool than I would if the game generated everyone, or if the game somehow compensates. I suspect the answer is that yes, I'll have a greater proportion of college players, but I wasn't sure.
"Sometimes, this is like going to a grocery store. You’ve got a list until you get to the check-out stand. And then you start reading People magazine, and all this other [stuff] ends up in the basket."

-Sandy Alderson on the MLB offseason
Cinnamon J. Scudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #100
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

I have never really tried so I can't say for sure. I am not sure if the ratio of college to HS is hard set for creation of draft players or if it takes into account what is coming out of your feeders. In other words I am not sure if A or B is correct.

A. X% college Y% HS for the pool. So it calculates what your current % is and fills in what is needed.
B. X% college Y% HS of draft eligible players created. So it just fills the other half with the set % meaning you would have more college players than not having feeders.

I suppose you could just create a HS league with equal number of more teams if you want to balance out feeder generated players. It might even answer the age old debate as to if feeders produce more quality players which I don't think has been the case since 11 but I don't think the debate is dead either.