Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.6 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 6 Available

FHM 6 Available Now!

  

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion Talk about our latest hockey manager game, officially licensed by the NHL!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2017, 04:17 PM   #1
Senko1291
Minors (Rookie Ball)
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 46
Thanks: 3
Thanked 6x in 4 posts
I guess I am done for now.

I really can't take the injuries anymore.

Over the last month I have started 5 different PtG modes as the St. Louis Blues and on every single save 4 of my top 6 are on the IR by the halfway point and I am sorry but that is just not realistic. I have tried the injury reduction mod and yes it does seem to decrease the length of the injuries but the frequency I don't think has changed at all. I know you guys say the injuries resemble real life numbers but I just don't see how. At one point in the season just about every team had at least 1 player if not more that was out anywhere from 6 month to indefenitley. I played FHM 2 and I thought the injuries were dead on. Every year we would have a few and I think even 1 year I had someone be done for the year but whatever you guys have changed is affecting the overall experience of the game. I guess I will just hang tight and see what FHM4 looks like before I purchase it next time.
Senko1291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:08 AM   #2
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager
 
Adam B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 903
Thanks: 63
Thanked 446x in 231 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senko1291 View Post
I really can't take the injuries anymore.

Over the last month I have started 5 different PtG modes as the St. Louis Blues and on every single save 4 of my top 6 are on the IR by the halfway point and I am sorry but that is just not realistic. I have tried the injury reduction mod and yes it does seem to decrease the length of the injuries but the frequency I don't think has changed at all. I know you guys say the injuries resemble real life numbers but I just don't see how. At one point in the season just about every team had at least 1 player if not more that was out anywhere from 6 month to indefenitley. I played FHM 2 and I thought the injuries were dead on. Every year we would have a few and I think even 1 year I had someone be done for the year but whatever you guys have changed is affecting the overall experience of the game. I guess I will just hang tight and see what FHM4 looks like before I purchase it next time.
While I understand some frustration, roles and tactics are play a key role for how guys become injured. What roles and tactics are you using? If you're crashing the opposition, your guys are going to wear and tear more.

That being said, have you looked at how most teams NHL season go?

Take the Winnipeg Jets this year. FoxSports does a pretty good job tracking injuries, but you'll need to click on individual players to get an idea of how many games some guys missed: http://www.foxsports.com/nhl/winnipe...-team-injuries - or check out the New York Islanders this year: http://www.foxsports.com/nhl/new-yor...es?season=2016

The Jets were one of the top teams affected this year and they weren't along. But you'll have others that have less too. That's the luck of the draw.

Again, using Winnipeg as a real life example - in 2014/15 when they made the playoffs, they were at one point using no one who started in their Top 6 Defenceman. That's when Buff got moved back to D, they had some AHLers step up, and traded for Jay Harrison eventually. The injury bug does bite.
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:27 PM   #3
eldur00
Major Leagues
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 343
Thanks: 43
Thanked 194x in 114 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senko1291 View Post
I really can't take the injuries anymore.

Over the last month I have started 5 different PtG modes as the St. Louis Blues and on every single save 4 of my top 6 are on the IR by the halfway point and I am sorry but that is just not realistic. I have tried the injury reduction mod and yes it does seem to decrease the length of the injuries but the frequency I don't think has changed at all. I know you guys say the injuries resemble real life numbers but I just don't see how. At one point in the season just about every team had at least 1 player if not more that was out anywhere from 6 month to indefenitley. I played FHM 2 and I thought the injuries were dead on. Every year we would have a few and I think even 1 year I had someone be done for the year but whatever you guys have changed is affecting the overall experience of the game. I guess I will just hang tight and see what FHM4 looks like before I purchase it next time.
Confirmation bias.

The Ottawa Senators were without Turris, Stone, Hoffman and Ryan for a bit this year.

Ask Pittsburgh if it was realistic that Letang, Maata, Daley and Hainsey were all out at the same time for that last stretch of the season. That's not counting guys like Malkin and Hagelin missing too.

Ask the Kings and Bruins if they felt there was a bug in the NHL when both teams lost both of their regular goaltenders at the start of the year.

I play this game too and do not find the injuries to be unrealistic at all. They are fairly spot on to be honest.

The game is not perfect and there are issues, but the injuries are pretty realistic.
eldur00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:58 PM   #4
dannibalcorpse
Minors (Double A)
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 126
Thanks: 51
Thanked 48x in 29 posts
Did you check out this thread?

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=274536
dannibalcorpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:59 PM   #5
kicktothehead
Bat Boy
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8x in 2 posts
And........real life - being a Bruins fan ... 4 of 6 defenseman for this Senators series have/had/was injured.
I have simulated plenty of years and just like normal - some years are better than others for injuries ... I have no issues with it.
kicktothehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:08 PM   #6
Romagoth
Minors (Triple A)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 232
Thanks: 123
Thanked 63x in 43 posts
The biggest issue with injuries in OOTP games in general is not so much that they happen, or even that they happen fairly frequently (since there are a lot of injuries in sports); but rather who is actually being injured.

This is where I believe the developers need to look deeper when creating future versions of both games and create some type of modifier where guys who have an injury history are more likely to be injured, but guys who don't should be less inclined to be injured. Some players, like Mario Lemieux and Steve Yzerman, had significant injuries in their career but they didn't get hurt every year and miss tons of games either. There needs to be a focus on the minor, nagging injuries that are more prevalent in pro sports and less focus on the season ending stuff that seems to happen more than it probably should in these games.

Just my $0.02.
Romagoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:10 PM   #7
Mike D
Hall Of Famer
 
Mike D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: In a van, down by the river
Posts: 2,610
Thanks: 177
Thanked 145x in 77 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romagoth View Post
The biggest issue with injuries in OOTP games in general is not so much that they happen, or even that they happen fairly frequently (since there are a lot of injuries in sports); but rather who is actually being injured.

This is where I believe the developers need to look deeper when creating future versions of both games and create some type of modifier where guys who have an injury history are more likely to be injured, but guys who don't should be less inclined to be injured. Some players, like Mario Lemieux and Steve Yzerman, had significant injuries in their career but they didn't get hurt every year and miss tons of games either. There needs to be a focus on the minor, nagging injuries that are more prevalent in pro sports and less focus on the season ending stuff that seems to happen more than it probably should in these games.

Just my $0.02.
"OOTPD games don't know names"
__________________
Sometimes the best laid plans will never get you laid the way you plan.
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:27 AM   #8
Nino33
Major Leagues
 
Nino33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 320
Thanks: 139
Thanked 136x in 83 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
"OOTPD games don't know names"
I don't see how such a comment is relevant...
  1. the posters are not suggesting name changes, they're talking about the underlying numbers and how the game uses them
  2. the players mentioned (Yzerman, Lemieux) are from historical mode...while OOTPD games may not "know names" the results of historical play are intended to reproduce the play of "names" and thus the names are mentioned (as examples of how the numbers/gameplay may need tweaking)
  3. the fact that the FHM team released a modification that can be used to reduce injuries IMO clearly shows there was a gameplay issue for some users (that the development team to their credit tried to address)
For me the phrase "OOTPD games don't know names" has no real meaning/usefulness; I think virtually everyone who has ever posted about concerns knows the players results/gameplay are based on numbers
Nino33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:00 PM   #9
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer
 
Sebastian Palkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 5,038
Thanks: 364
Thanked 7,178x in 1,791 posts
There was no game play concern at all. The reason we released the (optional) modification was simple to give people who want less injuries the option to do so.

With injuries, and it is the same with OOTP (and MLB Manager), it is that people always assume to many injuries when it happens to their team. I know in MLB Manager we don┤t use "realistic" as default but instead "Average" (not sure what it is in OOTP).

For FHM 4 we already worked out better options for the user to tweak the injury levels (both major and minor injuries separately) inside the game but if you compare "games missed" in FHM 3 with reality you will see the numbers are pretty close.
Sebastian Palkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:35 PM   #10
Nino33
Major Leagues
 
Nino33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 320
Thanks: 139
Thanked 136x in 83 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
There was no game play concern at all. The reason we released the (optional) modification was simple to give people who want less injuries the option to do so.

With injuries, and it is the same with OOTP (and MLB Manager), it is that people always assume to many injuries when it happens to their team. I know in MLB Manager we don┤t use "realistic" as default but instead "Average" (not sure what it is in OOTP).

For FHM 4 we already worked out better options for the user to tweak the injury levels (both major and minor injuries separately) inside the game but if you compare "games missed" in FHM 3 with reality you will see the numbers are pretty close.
I believe many of the comments I've read were not regarding overall injuries like you're talking about, but rather injuries to top players (and in historical, in regards to multiple long term injuries to players that never received them IRL)

There's nothing I can do if you want to say that the team released a modification but there was really no issue/reason to do so.....there's an enormous amount of posts in the Suggestions thread that were not given attention/a modification (to me it's like you don't want it to mean anything that you released a modification option...Jeff noted there were quite a few users that felt there was an issue, you released a modification, I just "connected the dots")




And I responded as I did due to the "OOTPD doesn't know names" comment - assuming that any poster posting views/concerns doesn't understand that the game is based on numbers/coding is perpetuating a fallacy IMO
Nino33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:23 AM   #11
Senko1291
Minors (Rookie Ball)
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 46
Thanks: 3
Thanked 6x in 4 posts
I have really cracked down over the last week to learn about some of the intangibles of the game as far as tactics and style of play is considered and I will have to say that now I am not having as hard of a time I as I was before with the injuries. Much more realistic when you really crack down on what your doing and not just being all nilly Willy with it. I'm sorry if I came off as unappreciative or ignorant in my main post. It's really a great game and I'm starting to have a ton of fun with it. I appreciate all the work you guys put in on the game.
Senko1291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:03 AM.

 

Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with the permission of Minor League Baseball. All rights reserved.

The Major League Baseball Players Association (www.MLBPLAYERS.com ) is the collective bargaining representative for all professional baseball players of the thirty Major League Baseball teams and serves as the exclusive group licensing agent for commercial and licensing activities involving active Major League baseball players. On behalf of its members, it operates the Players Choice licensing program and the Players Choice Awards, which benefit the needy through the Major League Baseball Players Trust, a charitable foundation established and run entirely by Major League baseball players. Follow: @MLB_Players; @MLBPAClubhouse; @MLBPlayersTrust

Out of the Park Baseball is a registered trademark of Out of the Park Developments GmbH & Co. KG

Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.

Apple, iPhone, iPod touch and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.

COPYRIGHT © 2017 OUT OF THE PARK DEVELOPMENTS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2018 Out of the Park Developments