Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB Mods
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2011, 05:19 PM   #1
DJgreen_72
Minors (Double A)

Historical Uni Question

Not sure if this is the right place for this, if not feel free to move to the right area...

Preparing to restart a historical 1892 uni...what can be down to try to simulate the late 19th/early 20th century boxing scene..

I have tended to use referees that have a poor score in judgement, (the higher the worse right?), late on stoppages and fairly lenient on fouls plus rule sets that go early to a no contest and late to the cards in the case of an accidental headbutt, all in an effort to simulate a period where fixes, draws, no decisions and questionable rulings were quite commonplace...

any other ideas?
DJgreen_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:56 AM   #2
John Dewey
Hall Of Famer

You're on the right track. Boxing was more freewheeling in those days and the rules were not usually strictly enforced. The only thing that the game cannot do is simulate matches that went beyond 15 rounds.
John Dewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:17 AM   #3
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

I simulate 18th century bare knuckle prize fighting. Different rules than you want but I briefly mentioned how I do it a while ago down in the 'Inside the Ropes' section. It isn't perfect and requires extra work:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosti View Post

How do you deal with the extra rounds?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CONN CHRIS View Post
It's not pretty.

1) For each scheduled fight, I add a 4 bout duplicate, none of which updates the records. So, the record gets an update line from only the main bout.

2) If there is a stoppage or DQ in the first 15 rounder all is well (all stoppages are either DQ or assumed KO - i.e. didn't make it back to scratch).

3) If the first bout was a decision, I go to the next fight until I find a stoppage and total the rounds.

4) My rules limit the fights to 75 rounds. If I get 5 decisions then I have the referee decide the match based on the totaled scores. If it is a draw after 75 rounds, the ref calls for one more round and has to make a decision (that has yet to happen - I suppose that I'll play judge in that case).

5) Lots of editing after every fight - you can even edit the rounds so it will show a fight as KO in the 39th sceduled for 75. I also use the notes field in the fight screen to add the time which I get from a little chart that I made. Well, it's more a list of random numbers than a chart really. I have a chart for DQs though - kicking, gouging, hitting while down, biting, for. objects, excess knee taking et cetera.
Attached Images
Old 07-22-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
DJgreen_72
Minors (Double A)

Thanks for the replies...think I will stick to 15 rounders though...The premise of the uni is a "What If" scenario...namely what if boxing had been organized from the get go...I still want to simulate the feel of late 19th/early 20th century boxing but, I'm going with a created World Boxing Federation running the show (none of the this guy never fought that guy, boxing is intergrated etc)

another question...I want to start in 1892 because of the Corbett v Sullivan held in September of that year. It was held at a 3 day event in New Orleanes called the Carnival of Champions. Sptember 5th - 7th. Has anyone seen or have a link to a site that has a listing of the full card? Along with the Corbett/Sullivan title fight, George Dixon fought as well as Jack McCaullife (seperate fights) I'd like to start the uni with a reasonably historic sim of the three day event, but I can't find anything more than this

any help is appreciated

Last edited by DJgreen_72; 07-22-2011 at 02:39 PM.
DJgreen_72 is offline   Reply With Quote