Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 10-16-2019, 01:13 PM   #1
Jnmiah
Bat Boy

Thank you so much!

Hello everyone! I thought I'd start a new thread so I could introduce myself/ say how much this game has improved my mental health if anyone likes to know.. I apologize in advance if this is the wrong page to post this on. Also, this is my first time posting a thread, so I'm not sure if I'm doing anything right or wrong. I wanted to say, I was always a sports fan as a kid, and would always play franchise modes on the EA, 2K games. I'd always love to look at the stats if they were available even if less detailed.

Fast forward to 2019, I've wondered if there were any games/simulations out there that would display close to realistic stats like the MLB, NHL etc, then I found Out of the Park Baseball 20! At first I didn't know what I was doing, but eventually got used to it. It is super fun and addicting once you know what to do. A while ago, I was suffering from heavy depression where I didn't really want to continue anything about my life any further and I'm usually not a talkative person/shy. I decided to give myself one more chance to change, and so I decided why not try out this game. And so I did, and I haven't regret it one bit! I talk more about sports with my family, classmates etc it really made me talk more to others. Thank you so much for making this wonderful game, I really appreciate it.
Jnmiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 05:02 PM   #2
koohead
Hall Of Famer

Thank you for sharing your journey. While most of us on the board have never met, we are a family (somewhat dysfunctional at times but hey that's a real family right??) and glad to have you on board. Sharing your adventures (good or bad!) with your franchise is therapeutic...sometimes it just feels good to share your jubilation when you win it all. Or lament about missing the playoffs yet again. Glad the game has helped you open up IRL as well. Best of luck to you and hope to see more posts from you here!
Old 10-16-2019, 05:41 PM   #3
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Every once in a while, somebody makes a post like this one and it makes me .

EDIT: And Jnmiah, you are not alone in that aspect about OOTPB being therapeutic for depression. The game gets your mind out of the rut of thinking about what makes you anxious and depressed. Keep your mind occupied with healthy, creative, fulfilling thoughts and it will heal itself. The moment that you start thinking about that other crap, force your mind to focus on OOTPB (or some other pleasurable pastime). The very moment, mind you. The more you do that, the more it will become habitual and easy and you will stay on the road to recovery.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 10-16-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:47 PM   #4
Jnmiah
Bat Boy

Thank you so much Koohead!! And yes, that does make us a real family! We might have our ups and downs, but overall, will always remain a family despite some of us not meeting each other in the forums before.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:50 PM   #5
Jnmiah
Bat Boy

I'm glad once in a while a message like this makes you smile ,Déjà Bru! And thank you so much for the tip. Whenever I get depressed or annoyed at something, I usually put all the blame on me (which isn't good at all). Now that I have OOTPB I'll try my best to remember to put my mind into the game/stories I can share about the game rather than beat myself up for something. Thank you!
Old 10-16-2019, 08:58 PM   #6
krownroyal83
All Star Reserve

I went through pretty bad bout of depression a few years ago after a breakup. While I was not into ootp at that point since i had never played it i did play another sports simulation game in EHM. That game really helped me get my mind off things for a few months and I eventually got better. I have no doubt ootp baseball would have done the same thing had i played it at the time but mostly games like these helped keep my mind off things since i wasn't and still am not the type to burden people with my problems.
krownroyal83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:21 PM   #7
Jnmiah
Bat Boy

Krownroyal, I'm sorry to hear you went through a breakup, that must have sucked very bad. I'm glad playing EHM Hockey made you get better eventually. Games like these really do help keep your mind off the negatives.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:36 PM   #8
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by koohead View Post
we are a family (somewhat dysfunctional at times but hey that's a real family right??)
There are a few people on here i like more than my real family and talk to several times a week.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 01:37 PM   #9
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Every once in a while, somebody makes a post like this one and it makes me .

EDIT: And Jnmiah, you are not alone in that aspect about OOTPB being therapeutic for depression. The game gets your mind out of the rut of thinking about what makes you anxious and depressed. Keep your mind occupied with healthy, creative, fulfilling thoughts and it will heal itself. The moment that you start thinking about that other crap, force your mind to focus on OOTPB (or some other pleasurable pastime). The very moment, mind you. The more you do that, the more it will become habitual and easy and you will stay on the road to recovery.
Amen, Deja Bru… both of these posts have made my day.

My prayers are with you Jnmiah… great to hear you are doing better.

Welcome to the OOTPB Family... let us know how we can help you out... with the game... and more importantly, in life, too.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 10-17-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Eugene Church is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 01:53 PM   #10
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Church View Post
Amen, Deja Bru… both of these posts have made my day.

My prayers are with you Jnmiah… great to hear you are doing better.

Welcome to the OOTPB Family... let us know how we can help you out... with the game... and more importantly, in life, too.
Pay attention to this guy ^ ^ ^ . He's one of the absolute gems of these forums. Want proof? I can't think of anyone who would say otherwise. There's your proof.

OOTP post re-FG IDs here: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...postcount=3198

My DB which restores Fed Leaguers here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZoN...B2GCcULxt/view

Instructions for the DB: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...07&postcount=9

actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 02:37 PM   #11
bertha
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thank you for sharing your journey
bertha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:58 PM   #12
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Thank you for this Jnmiah. I myself deal with bi-polar, and it's not easy, so I commend you for your openness. I didn't get OOTP this year until the $10 postseason sale because I just didn't feel up to it. Still don't really, but I figured at $10, it was totally worth it, whether I get anything out of it or not. Sort of a further payment/thank you to Markus and the team for the previous versions that I've really enjoyed.

Glad this game has helped you to muddle through things. Whatever it takes as far as I'm concerned. Enjoy the journey of learning this game. It's a very steep learning curve, but you'll get there, provided you keep asking questions if/when you get stuck. Remember that there are no stupid questions and you'll be fine. I can guarantee you that even if you think that your question is dumb, somebody has asked it before, and gotten help from the folks here, over the course of the twenty editions of this game, so just ask. Good luck with the game, and with life in general, and don't be afraid to talk about either on here. Lots of good peeps here.

OOTP post re-FG IDs here: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...postcount=3198

My DB which restores Fed Leaguers here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZoN...B2GCcULxt/view

Instructions for the DB: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...07&postcount=9

actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:02 PM   #13
Jnmiah
Bat Boy

Thank you so much guys! It means a lot
Old 10-17-2019, 05:40 PM   #14
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

I deal with some anxiety (especially social anxiety)- not terribly serious and less so as I get older, though paradoxically perhaps I am also more introverted with age- but the point is that not only is a community like this a gift for the socially awkward like myself but OOTP as something to focus on can be very therapeutic.

While I have fortunately seldom had serious issues getting to sleep, it is partly because I have found strategies to insure this. One of the main one's these days is picking a single aspect of my fictional league, usually something around my team (the Denver Brewers), that I can think about- kind of like counting sheep- as I drift off to sleep. It gives my brain something to fixate on that doesn't lead to anxiety and that has no real life ramifications to speak of. (Last night for instance, I updated some prospect stats that I keep on a white board- yes, that is how addicted to this game I am- before going to sleep and then fell asleep thinking about young players who may someday make the big league club and how they might fit in, etc.)

Good on you for finding a healthy outlet to help mitigate your depression and for using this mostly solitary hobby to encourage you to reach out to others more.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote