Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > Grand Championship League

Old 10-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #1
coljesep
All Star Reserve

OOTP Grand Championship League

OOTP Grand Championship League version 2.0

We’re back for the second installment of the OOTP Grand Championship League! We learned a lot from the first edition, and are very confident that this league will provide the OOTP community with a solid understand of not only what is great about online leagues – but what is great about your online league!

For those that are unaware, last year we did this with 26 league reps! This year you'll be much more front and center in the OOTP community

First, a little about me:

My name is Michael Branda and I am the Commissioner of The Virtual Baseball League. Prior to the OOTP 13 release, I commished a league from 2002-2012 using an old school simulator called Front Page Sports Baseball. I have two kids, a wife, a full time job and am dedicated to running the best and most fair online league I can. In my own league, I do not and never have owned a team, and while my own league will have a representative in this league, I assure you that will never impact your enjoyment of this league. (VBL didn’t make the playoffs in version 1, way to go Chad!)

I will be working under the guidance of Brad Cook, the PR & Marketing Manager for OOTP.

About the league concept:

We all come from different leagues with different concepts, and different rules. Realistically there is no way to please everybody. We want this league to not only prove challenging for you while not creating an entire online league in the process.

We will not have minor leagues, and we will not draft minor league eligible players. The number of players eligible for draft will be based on how many teams we get to commit, you will not have to sift through hundreds of minor league talented players while creating a draft list (more info on draft below).

We will try to use this same universe for future years, but we’ll change some rules each year to keep the league a different challenge year after year.

For example, this year we will use the DH, but maybe next year we won’t. Certain items will always be in tact (for example, we will never use scouting because it wouldn’t provide a competitive balance since all scouts are different).

Draft:

There will be 10 years simulated prior to anybody seeing the draft pool. Then, all minor league “only” talent will be deleted and you will have a smaller draft pool left to fill a 30 man roster. Following the 30 draft picks, you will be asked to cut your roster down to 25. You’ll be allowed five players to sit in your minor leagues (with ghost players). Those players can replace anybody on your 25 man roster at any time (no option years), giving each GM a safety net in case a player doesn’t pan out.

There will be 6 nights of live drafting in which we will draft 5 rounds of players. Following each round, you will get an updated league file.

The live draft will take place in my league’s chat room – to test whether or not your networking device is capable of using the chat room please go to The Virtual Baseball League - An online OOTP 13 virtual baseball league. and select CHAT. From there you can enter in any username, any password you’d like and see if the application loads up.

GM’s who cannot make it to the any of the live drafts can supply a list through the OOTP 14 option but they do so with the understanding that I will merely have the AI pick based on your list provided.

Live Draft Dates: Dates will be sent out when we have confirmations but for the sake of being efficient this will move quickly. We will likely start every draft at 8:30pm est, and hold the drafts on Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday (so to give time for adjusting lists). So with that said, the draft is expected to take a total of two weeks.

We might be able to use the OOTPU utility for the draft – if we can get it set up in time, we will utilize that as well.

Injuries & Fatigue:

Injuries will be turned off, but fatigue will be turned on.

Scouting & Coaching:

As mentioned above, these features will be turned off.

Draft Budget:

Each team will get a specific (and equal) draft budget to operate with. In order to see what a player wants before you draft him, you’ll need to select DEMAND in one of your sorting categories. GM’s will be responsible for keeping within the budget. With the deletion of minor league talent, the draft pool should be much easier to sort through than in version 1.

We use a draft budget for the purpose of not only evening the playing field but adding a component to the league that adds a challenge rather than just drafting all of the best players.

Ratings:

In an effort to keep things changing, and giving new challenges - this year's ratings scale will be 1-10.

ERA:

We will start the league universe in 1975, and use the settings for 1985 this time around. (Version 1 used 2013).

Season Length & Playoffs:

The season will be 162 games long with a balanced schedule.

Division alignment will be determined after we lock down our representative leagues. Our goal is to have the league be within 20-30 teams.

Playoffs will also be determined based on the team totals, so stay tuned.

Sim Schedule:

We will simulate 6 games on Sunday through Thursday. This should take roughly 1.5 real months with the goal to finish our league before the pre-order for OOTP 15 is complete.

All export deadlines will be 8pm est.

OOTP 14:

This league will be simulated using OOTP 14 - you must own the game and be in an online league to participate

Participation/Winning Prize:

OOTP has agreed to post a dedicated forum under the OOTP14 forum for all users to see what is going on with our league.

Many leagues have writing concepts included in them, so please take this opportunity to showcase what is great about your league through your own participation by using the forum.

Please keep in mind, you’re representing your league as well as yourself in this community. We’re all competitive but you cannot all win. Please remember that the goal of this project is to be an on-going league so remember that even though this year may not be your year – how you participate might impact whether your league has a spot next year.

The winning GM will earn free copies of OOTP 15 for everybody in the league they represent, courtesy of OOTP!

The runner up will win a $50 amazon gift card, with the 3rd and 4th place finishers each scoring $25 gift cards.

Are you a Commish and Interested?
PM me here or email me at michaeljbranda@gmail.com with your league name, website and your league's representative's contact info

We only have a few spots open so first come first serve!

Last edited by coljesep; 10-23-2013 at 10:20 AM.
coljesep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
coljesep
All Star Reserve

quick bump
coljesep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:31 AM   #3
Kammich
Minors (Single A)

Hi there!
I am extremely interested, but first want to just give a little history of my own OOTP experience(s) and see if I would be eligible to join. I also would offer to help out, if needed in any way, whatsoever. Anyway, at the moment, I own & (mostly) play OOTP 14 (but also have licenses fo 13, 11, 10, and then the earlier releases that had me initially hooked on this SIM- 6.5/12... I believe I started with a demo of 5 or perhaps a free copy, though... but some of these are on a desktop that I do not access anymore, so I mainly stick with 14 lately since losing my Nationals franchise for the 13 edition, which took any reason for me to go back there out of play).

My interest in OOTP and baseball SIM games, and sport SIM games as a whole *really* took offer after co-joining a league with my friend for (I believe) version 6.5, where we co-managed the D-Rays to my recollection. I want to say this was circa sometime '03-'04, but I forget when 6.5 came out initially (and it confuses me even more so when I think about the patch and update which our league used and added pretty quick, once released), unless we began on an earlier version which is possible (and I'll get to why on that in a sec). Anyway, being allowed to co-managed wasn't necessarily unorthodox for our league as it was within the rules that we were allowed to co-manage (just like a lot of fantasy sport sits will let you anoint a co-manager, if so you desire and your commish doesn't have a rule preventing it), but we did not agree on any moves. He was closer with our mutual friend who got us into the league, and I simply let him keep the D-Rays when he dealt (then) #1 prospect in our league, Delmon Young, and another top-15 or something in Edwin Jackson and some other nice pieces for Jeff Weaver and a fill-in 3B for two seasons. To his credit, he made the wild card or won his division one of the next two seasons, but then his team completely went to hell, and he quit because he did that a lot with these things! Well, fast-forward to somewhere between '05 and '07 I think, and I was invited to rejoin the league and replace a team. I took over the A's. They were well into their league by that point, with at least 50-60% of players being fake by that point, but I was still more than able to get into it. The league ran for 32 seasons and I took part as A's GM for about 10-14, with a season lasting anywhere from 2-3 months I guess, as it was really unpredictable, but when active, very competitive and that made it a blast. I made the playoffs all of 3 times, and only won the division once- which I believe I had to play a 1-game playoff which would have made me the Wild Card had I lost it, for my 3rd postseason wild card appearance. My life grew busy, as did many other people within that league and we went through our changes and I eventually had to withdraw myself.

During this time period, I also ran my own league with a co-commish who ran it alone for about 2 or 3 months when I was unable to due to lack of time, but we didn't want things ending prematurely when we had such high activity level at that time. This was a league my friend and I experimented on perhaps too much, constantly trying new ideas and implementing them over off seasons and stuff. In retrospect, while the members had said they appreciated this about the league, I feel it wasn't the best tactic to use in re-introduced or simply introduced any new ideas. This league ran from the real-life MLB season of I'd say 2007 all of the way to 2021 in our league, and we had some real players left still, but ratings had started to skew and the league's file was acting up so we put it away for good. Shortly thereafter the other league I first mentioned would fold as well, but I had already had to withdraw.

Since all of this occurred, I have only played in one or two OOTP leagues and one was still being ran on 6,5/12, and one was a brief stay in a friend's league that was ran on a free copy of 8 or something like that.

I'm looking to join an online league on these boards at the moment, or one for next season and 15 if I can't find one at the least, when I saw this thread.

I have to admit that per your rules of qualification, I am not currently in an online league (but I am looking to join one, if I can find the right one hopefully), but I am still very, very interested in this.

(A little about me):
I am a 25-year-old autodidact, once-engaged but never married with a few close-calls that may have been blessings in disguise. I have a brother who was born with down's syndrome, and also suffered from infantile spasms, and he is someone I've taken care of or helped to care for from a young age, just from boundary and being around so much. He's now going on age 16 and in highschool! But from all of this, and a few years of being his caretaker, I have carried on interest in children with special needs (and still consider pursuing work as an aide). I also like: animals (cats bring me joy), music (I play guitar & percussion, and dig bands like Johnny Thunders & the Heartbreakers, Dead Boys..). I used to play and now just watch (and do the fantasy thing) with baseball, which is my favorite sport by far. Sad Cubs fan unfortunately, but I enjoy following the sport almost more at this point, but I think it's the only thing you can do when you root for the Cubs sometimes.

Anyway, this is a little bit about me, and my interest in the league is very high! If I need to join an online league to be eligible, if I have time to do so before sign-ups close, I likely should or hopefully will be able to!

Thank you, and I look forward to hopefully being a part of this, somehow!
-Nick Linden
Old 10-30-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
Subby
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kammich View Post
Hi there!
I am extremely interested, but first want to just give a little history of my own OOTP experience(s) and see if I would be eligible to join. I also would offer to help out, if needed in any way, whatsoever. Anyway, at the moment, I own & (mostly) play OOTP 14 (but also have licenses fo 13, 11, 10, and then the earlier releases that had me initially hooked on this SIM- 6.5/12... I believe I started with a demo of 5 or perhaps a free copy, though... but some of these are on a desktop that I do not access anymore, so I mainly stick with 14 lately since losing my Nationals franchise for the 13 edition, which took any reason for me to go back there out of play).

My interest in OOTP and baseball SIM games, and sport SIM games as a whole *really* took offer after co-joining a league with my friend for (I believe) version 6.5, where we co-managed the D-Rays to my recollection. I want to say this was circa sometime '03-'04, but I forget when 6.5 came out initially (and it confuses me even more so when I think about the patch and update which our league used and added pretty quick, once released), unless we began on an earlier version which is possible (and I'll get to why on that in a sec). Anyway, being allowed to co-managed wasn't necessarily unorthodox for our league as it was within the rules that we were allowed to co-manage (just like a lot of fantasy sport sits will let you anoint a co-manager, if so you desire and your commish doesn't have a rule preventing it), but we did not agree on any moves. He was closer with our mutual friend who got us into the league, and I simply let him keep the D-Rays when he dealt (then) #1 prospect in our league, Delmon Young, and another top-15 or something in Edwin Jackson and some other nice pieces for Jeff Weaver and a fill-in 3B for two seasons. To his credit, he made the wild card or won his division one of the next two seasons, but then his team completely went to hell, and he quit because he did that a lot with these things! Well, fast-forward to somewhere between '05 and '07 I think, and I was invited to rejoin the league and replace a team. I took over the A's. They were well into their league by that point, with at least 50-60% of players being fake by that point, but I was still more than able to get into it. The league ran for 32 seasons and I took part as A's GM for about 10-14, with a season lasting anywhere from 2-3 months I guess, as it was really unpredictable, but when active, very competitive and that made it a blast. I made the playoffs all of 3 times, and only won the division once- which I believe I had to play a 1-game playoff which would have made me the Wild Card had I lost it, for my 3rd postseason wild card appearance. My life grew busy, as did many other people within that league and we went through our changes and I eventually had to withdraw myself.

During this time period, I also ran my own league with a co-commish who ran it alone for about 2 or 3 months when I was unable to due to lack of time, but we didn't want things ending prematurely when we had such high activity level at that time. This was a league my friend and I experimented on perhaps too much, constantly trying new ideas and implementing them over off seasons and stuff. In retrospect, while the members had said they appreciated this about the league, I feel it wasn't the best tactic to use in re-introduced or simply introduced any new ideas. This league ran from the real-life MLB season of I'd say 2007 all of the way to 2021 in our league, and we had some real players left still, but ratings had started to skew and the league's file was acting up so we put it away for good. Shortly thereafter the other league I first mentioned would fold as well, but I had already had to withdraw.

Since all of this occurred, I have only played in one or two OOTP leagues and one was still being ran on 6,5/12, and one was a brief stay in a friend's league that was ran on a free copy of 8 or something like that.

I'm looking to join an online league on these boards at the moment, or one for next season and 15 if I can't find one at the least, when I saw this thread.

I have to admit that per your rules of qualification, I am not currently in an online league (but I am looking to join one, if I can find the right one hopefully), but I am still very, very interested in this.

(A little about me):
I am a 25-year-old autodidact, once-engaged but never married with a few close-calls that may have been blessings in disguise. I have a brother who was born with down's syndrome, and also suffered from infantile spasms, and he is someone I've taken care of or helped to care for from a young age, just from boundary and being around so much. He's now going on age 16 and in highschool! But from all of this, and a few years of being his caretaker, I have carried on interest in children with special needs (and still consider pursuing work as an aide). I also like: animals (cats bring me joy), music (I play guitar & percussion, and dig bands like Johnny Thunders & the Heartbreakers, Dead Boys..). I used to play and now just watch (and do the fantasy thing) with baseball, which is my favorite sport by far. Sad Cubs fan unfortunately, but I enjoy following the sport almost more at this point, but I think it's the only thing you can do when you root for the Cubs sometimes.

Anyway, this is a little bit about me, and my interest in the league is very high! If I need to join an online league to be eligible, if I have time to do so before sign-ups close, I likely should or hopefully will be able to!

Thank you, and I look forward to hopefully being a part of this, somehow!
-Nick Linden
You should autodidact yourself to write more economically!
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:18 AM   #5
jazzrack
Hall Of Famer

thank you Michael

Was once Head Cheese of Corporate League Baseball
jazzrack is offline   Reply With Quote