Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 15 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:49 PM   #21
Furious
Minors (Triple A)

Thanks for the info! I will try it that way.
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:58 PM   #22
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

I wish for a setting that would have players perform close to their real life counterparts without forcing on-time retirement. Leaving the player development engine enabled does too much damage to the real output. I want Babe Ruth to be Babe Ruth, not Gorman Thomas.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:48 PM   #23
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I wish for a setting that would have players perform close to their real life counterparts without forcing on-time retirement. Leaving the player development engine enabled does too much damage to the real output. I want Babe Ruth to be Babe Ruth, not Gorman Thomas.
I think the ratiings/potential are there for development on/recalc off leagues. But, for some reason something in the game blocks the extraordinary superstars from having extraordinary seasons. I don't know if it's the game trying to spread the league totals over the entire league or what, but something creates what feels like a ceiling over greatness. Once again, I have no idea if what I'm saying makes any sense at all. Ugh!
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:55 PM   #24
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibonacci View Post
Thanks Orcin. I never noticed that before. Is it new with 16?
You mean 15

This option has been in OOTP for a long time.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:11 PM   #25
Furious
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I think the ratiings/potential are there for development on/recalc off leagues. But, for some reason something in the game blocks the extraordinary superstars from having extraordinary seasons.
That's been my experience as well, limited though it might be.

I've played about seven or eight dev-on/recalc-off simulations with the Giants starting in 1958 running through the mid-'60s. Mays (who basically never got injured in RL) always has a few 6-week injuries and is generally a poor defensive centerfielder by 1964 or 1965. Cepeda did okay in a couple of the simulations but was washed up in one by '65 and had a career-ending injury in another in 1963. The game seems to "like" McCovey; his "careers" have tended to be close to reality. The game LOVES Billy O'Dell; he's a stud in every sim I've played, far better than he ever was in RL.

Maybe my sample size is small, but it can't help but feel like there are some undesirable patterns that have formed and almost seem locked in.

All that being said, I love this game. It's so close to perfect in so many ways that any area in which it falls short sticks out like a sore thumb.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:26 PM   #26
Okay
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I think the ratiings/potential are there for development on/recalc off leagues. But, for some reason something in the game blocks the extraordinary superstars from having extraordinary seasons. I don't know if it's the game trying to spread the league totals over the entire league or what, but something creates what feels like a ceiling over greatness. Once again, I have no idea if what I'm saying makes any sense at all. Ugh!
I think the manual does mention something about Babe Ruth (specifically) having to be toned down.

Anyway, reading this thread has been interesting. In the only historical sim I've done that lasted awhile (40 seasons) I used recalc on and PD off. I've done this for all my historical replays. And I get enough randomness to be satisfied. Willie Stargell was the all-time home run leader. And, for sure, players do start aging, slowing down, and even retiring at a certain point. Some keep coming back every year--in extreme cases, or around age 40, I retire them manually. I don't have a problem with this. I even retired Koufax manually, because he was going to keep being Koufax for 20 instead of 10 (or whatever) years. Then, for fun, after a couple seasons, I unretired him and in his mid30s he was still a beast.

What I want to avoid is fringe players having great years and/or careers. I'm not sure what settings are best for this. When I set up a historical league, I put the two settings that lower or weaken player performance higher than the defaults, but even this doesn't seem to work. The game AI still uses fringe players full time and they often have terrific seasons. Especially relief pitchers. In the one league, I would go in and manually delete the weakest of the weak in every draft class. Meaning those guys who played an extremely low number of games in rl.

I like my replays to be realistic but allow for some surprises, just as the OP wants. If playing with PD on limits star players' season and career numbers too much, I'm not sure I'd like it.

What surprises me is that so far no one has mentioned setting Player Aging to a higher number in order to (potentially?) lengthen careers (with PD on/recalc off).
Okay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:56 PM   #27
Furious
Minors (Triple A)

Does the player development engine do anything at all when you have recalc on? One thing I've noticed is that with recalc on you can't teach a player a new position; if their experience at a position is at zero, it stays at zero no matter how much you play them at the new position. For me that's a big strike against recalc on; especially when all you're trying to do is give a corner outfielder some experience playing the other corner outfield position.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:50 AM   #28
Max Boyer
Minors (Double A)

Encountered a problem with Player Dev/No Recal

Here's the league info:
Retro, set in 1989, 1-day sim since September 2014.
Just arrived on January 1st 1990 and all my players have been recalculated, even though I unchecked this box - or at least made sure it wasn't check when I launch my game. I play with "player dev".

Now I remember reading a few years ago about this issue happening, and the only way to deal with that kind of situation would be to start a year earlier so you can have the desired effect. In my case, in wouldn't happen anymore since I just went through it.

Using OOTP14 in this case. Any hints or help would be great. This situation is not critical & I will be conducting tests tonight and I will gladly post my results here over the weekend.

INFO ABOUT THE LEAGUE
We have a 20-MLB team with fictional lineups.
I used the Historical Replay option, not the fictional wizard. Could this be it? How about making a template of my retro league and applying it to the "create a fictional league" wizard. any thoughts?
Old 05-09-2015, 10:52 AM   #29
Max Boyer
Minors (Double A)

After further review, it was my mistake. I remember touching the "rookies ratings current year/3-year period/career" potential. However, I assure you I didn't touch the check/uncheck box for Recalc On/Off.
I did a rescout for the whole league (Scouting precision Medium/High/Very High), so maybe this triggered the bug.

I had previously done a test by moving past January 1st to see my upcoming draft and the ratings were the same as last year.

I had a backup at the start of the off season so I was able to reproduce most roster moves/signatures/rule v draft by everyone inside a 4 hour time window.

So if you are reading this, always have a backup before playing with rules & settings!!
Old 05-15-2015, 07:05 PM   #30
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabanci View Post
For what you are describing, you would want recalc turned off. When you create a historical league and historical players are imported each year, their potential ratings will be assigned according to whatever you have set under historical settings/player ratings/base potential ratings on (career totals, remaining years, peak years, etc).

With recalc off and the player development engine on, the player will develop toward those initial imported ratings. How close to those potential ratings he stays or how far he strays is determined by the talent change randomness setting. The lower the setting, more likely he will develop into the player he was imported to be.

With recalc on, you can still have the player development engine on and you might get some random changes to his actual/potential ratings, but each year the recalc engine will override those changes and reset his ratings according to whatever recalc setting you use (1 yr, 3 yr, etc).

I think in the past, most everybody used recalc in historical leagues. What seems to have happened is that because the ootp player development engine has improved so much over the years, it's often more interesting to play and still get realistic historical results with recalc off, unless you are going for a very accurate replay of history ala Diamond Mind.

Try setting recalc off and talent change randomness at 50, 33, or 25 if things were too random for you at the default setting of 100.

Thanks Yabanci, that is one of the most succinct and clear explanations of the event tree of how this all works. That you start with how you want ratings based - peak, career etc. THEN think about how close you want to get to that by adjusting the randomness element and THEN can shut off recalc (I really had not fully understood how much recalc interferes with other settings, since it is a default setting) to let that all happen (or not).

Very, very helpful explanation.
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote