Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:16 AM   #1
Llamaboy
Minors (Rookie Ball)

What is your biggest weakness as an OOTP player?

My biggest weakness is I get overprotective of my mediocre players. I'm always afraid I'm going to lose them to waivers or the rule 5, which leads to overcrowding on my 25 and 40 man rosters. What mistakes do you make repeatedly?
Llamaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:29 AM   #2
pgjocki
All Star Starter

Easy: not being ruthless with fan favorites. In my MLB leagues where I play with real rosters I keep my favorite Cardinals way to long and it bites me in the behind every time.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:13 PM   #3
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Pretending to be Jack McKeon once too often...you know—build an ideal team and then, "just one more trade..."

GREAT thread idea!

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
"Alinsky works for me now."
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:19 PM   #4
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

This is a great question. Mine, until recently, was an over-reliance on young players which, if you play with Team Chemistry turned on, will eventually catch up with you and cause your team unhappiness and poor performance. I did not even know this until the TC screen told me that the team resented the lack of veteran players! Needless to say, they were not happy and playing sub par for a long time.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:55 PM   #5
OutS|der
Hall Of Famer

My biggest weakness is my need to create the perfect setup so I'm constantly changing, adding or deleting stuff and never actually play the game.

Damn game gives me to many options.
OutS|der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:56 PM   #6
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

I lack patience. I have to be very careful about making decisions on a snapshot or small sample size, especially in a league where I play out my games.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:22 PM   #7
The Yurpman
Major Leagues

I've been playing since OOTP 12 and from 12' to probably 16' my problem was I couldn't stick with my league. Every patch that brought a roster update, I would restart my game. (I only play MLB QS.) That problem has long been fixed, I wait for the opening day rosters and don't look back now. Also, the rosters are so incredibly well done at release that this wouldn't be an issue anyways. Major props to the roster team!

My biggest weakness now is keeping my favorite "real-life" players on my team way past the time I should. Last OOTP I kept Brock Holt until like 2021, just because I think he's a solid utility player in real life for my Red Sox. Now, I'm running into the same issue with Pedroia. I've only played through the 2018 season, just started 2019, and Pedroia has fell off, as older players tend to do. But I still roll him out there everyday as my primary 2B lol. I even signed Daniel Murphy, who is better in literally everything, but I can't help myself to NOT start Pedroia.

Last edited by The Yurpman; 05-28-2018 at 02:23 PM.
The Yurpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:42 PM   #8
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

After 20 years of OOTP I still haven't developed a method to squeeze 25 hrs out of a 24 hr day.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 03:02 PM   #9
OutS|der
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
After 20 years of OOTP I still haven't developed a method to squeeze 25 hrs out of a 24 hr day.
Daylight Savings. Problem solved. Well once a year at least.
OutS|der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:10 PM   #10
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I lack patience. I have to be very careful about making decisions on a snapshot or small sample size, especially in a league where I play out my games.
This also resonates with me but it's patience of another sort. I don't like losing. Now, I can tolerate a losing season or two but when it becomes one of those decade-long things, I lose patience and sometimes lose a league as a result. I need to take a long-term view of things.

EDIT: And this can also lead to something else that is in the back of my mind about Team Chemistry. Losing patience, I will cut players abruptly and do a lot of roster changing; signings, trades and stuff. I wonder if that also negatively affects Team Chemistry after a certain point. Too much turmoil? Maybe if I had more patience, the team would gel and come around?

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 05-28-2018 at 05:13 PM.
Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:48 PM   #11
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
EDIT: And this can also lead to something else that is in the back of my mind about Team Chemistry. Losing patience, I will cut players abruptly and do a lot of roster changing; signings, trades and stuff. I wonder if that also negatively affects Team Chemistry after a certain point. Too much turmoil? Maybe if I had more patience, the team would gel and come around?

I do think that roster churn negatively affects the team morale. I have no evidence though - just seems that way from my experience.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:18 PM   #12
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Holding on to mediocre to miserable players for years and years, and playing them again and again, and calling them back up, and extending them for another year, and maybe he can pitch now? And now? Sometimes players blossom at 28, right? 30? No?

Also, bringing back players that were actually good with 27 and how about rekindling that old fire? That was five years ago, but 35-year-old second basemen are all about grit and none about back soreness, slow reflexes, and batting .232! Until they do.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:05 PM   #13
jaguar8311
Minors (Triple A)

I play too fast and sometimes miss details
jaguar8311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:22 PM   #14
gemini615
All Star Reserve

I spend hours of time in the offseason trading lower round draft picks for higher round draft picks.
gemini615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:34 PM   #15
GmOfTheYear
Major Leagues

Cheating too much.
GmOfTheYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:51 PM   #16
SidHickenbottom
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I prefer to play rebuild/expansion teams and can get too tunnel visioned regarding development of the core. I'll be in a competitive window, have tons of money to spend and not even think of using it because I've got developed players slotted for every position on the roster. My motivation seems to be to find out how well the core will do, more than pursuing every opportunity to succeed. Often this works out just fine, but I could/should probably be a touch more aggressive in maximizing wins during competitive windows.

Last edited by SidHickenbottom; 05-28-2018 at 07:56 PM.
SidHickenbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:02 PM   #17
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutS|der View Post
My biggest weakness is my need to create the perfect setup so I'm constantly changing, adding or deleting stuff and never actually play the game.

Damn game gives me to many options.
This and second guessing myself on setup options. Then thinking “Is that what I really want to do?”

After a few of those questions I know I am going to blow the league up and start again, it is like I get into an endless loop.
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:43 PM   #18
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Going too long with my SP when playing out games. Tinkering with my batting orders vs both pitcher handedness. Mucking around with RP who don't get used right and doing some of that in AAA too. So sue me I'm a control freak.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:03 PM   #19
Qeltar
Major Leagues

Honestly right now I'm just not feeling it and have been stuck in the middle of season 2 for a few weeks RL time. I'm sure it will come around.

When playing, probably too much trading, because it just isn't realistic. Have to hold myself back.
Qeltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:48 PM   #20
OldFatGuy
All Star Starter

Sleep and nature calls. Man they can interfere with a good run at a pennant.