Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:00 PM   #1
Giants44
Hall Of Famer

Would you pay add-in cost for new historical 3d models?

First things first incredible work by folks on these old school ballparks here http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=242856

But my assumption after watching Markus video today is they will work in "classic 3d" but not "modern 3d" - I am also assuming the use of the words modern and classic mean - new OOTP model vs old OOTP model. Not modern ballpark vs old ballpark.

My contention is there is enough of a market of guys that would be willing to pay for "modern 3d models" of old ballparks for historical replay.

I am thinking something like 1.99 for a park or 19.99 for whole pack or something like that. Not sure the exact best price point that makes it something people would buy, but also worthwhile time and effort wise for the creators.

so if you never play historical feel free to ignore this (since obviously you are not the market) but if you do play historical , would you pay add-ons for these and if so how much? I personally have absolutely zero ability to make 3d models but I have high interest and ability to compensate someone else who is doing so.

What say you fellow historical players, would you pay for this? how much?

"Judge a man not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character"
-Martin Luther King

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
-Einstein

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."
-Muhammad Ali

"Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything."
-Toby Harrah

Last edited by Giants44; 03-14-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Giants44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:09 PM   #2
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants44 View Post
First things first incredible work by folks on these old school ballparks here http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=242856

But my assumption after watching Markus video today is they will work in "classic 3d" but not "modern 3d" - I am also assuming the use of the words modern and classic mean - new OOTP model vs old OOTP model. Not modern ballpark vs old ballpark.

My contention is there is enough of a market of guys that would be willing to pay for "modern 3d models" of old ballparks for historical replay.

I am thinking something like 1.99 for a park or 19.99 for whole pack or something like that. Not sure the exact best price point that makes it something people would buy, but also worthwhile time and effort wise for the creators.

so if you never play historical feel free to ignore this (since obviously you are not the market) but if you do play historical , would you pay add-ons for these and if so how much? I personally have absolutely zero ability to make 3d models but I have high interest and ability to compensate someone else who is doing so.

I'm still very much in wait and see mode. As in wait and see whether or not the tremendous, herculean efforts of silvam14, adion, and pstrickert are viable as ballparks that have the same feel as the Fenway Park model that Markus demonstrated today, with people in the crowd moving around etc. We may be surprised which would be awesome.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:16 PM   #3
Giants44
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
I'm still very much in wait and see mode. As in wait and see whether or not the tremendous, herculean efforts of silvam14, adion, and pstrickert are viable as ballparks that have the same feel as the Fenway Park model that Markus demonstrated today, with people in the crowd moving around etc. We may be surprised which would be awesome.
true, plus never doubting the ability of the guys that do it now. I use them and they are amazing.

Just hoping that if there is a market, compensating people for good work often motivates those folks to do more good work.

as a ballpark hoarder I dream of a day where every historical ballpark and another 20+ fictional parks are all available.

and yes, I did spend an inordinate amount of time creating ballparks in Earl Weaver baseball. still one of the coolest features ever over the years.

"Judge a man not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character"
-Martin Luther King

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
-Einstein

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."
-Muhammad Ali

"Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything."
-Toby Harrah
Old 03-14-2018, 07:43 PM   #4
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Would you pay add-in cost for new historical 3d models?

Where did you get the idea that my stadiums wouldn’t work in the new 3D mode. They work beautifully

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2018, 07:50 PM   #5
Caporegime
All Star Starter

I'm split on this. On the one hand, I would never, ever begrudge anyone for receiving fair compensation for providing extra content that helps to enhance the overall enjoyment of a game. On the other, based on my experiences in other gaming communities, a culture where a steady deluge of additional pay content, add-ons, DLCs, "little extras", or whatever else you want to call them, are not just tolerated, but accepted as a fait accompli, can really leave a bad taste in one's mouth.

Not to single out any other game developers (Cough...Para...cough...dox...cough!!), but it seems like every time a certain individual in Stockholm, Sweden sneezes, it costs a certain gaming community $29.99 for the honor of hearing the echo. Yes, I know that all the extra content is "optional", but so is being an avaricious prick, no?

At any rate, I'm on the fence. I love OOTP, and would eagerly support the community....provided that support doesn't take advantage of that love.

Last edited by Caporegime; 03-14-2018 at 07:52 PM.
Caporegime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:53 PM   #6
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Please!
Don't give Markus any funny ideas!

"Colon looking for his 1st hit of the year and he DRIVES ONE! Deep left field! Back goes Upton! Back near the wall! ITS OUTTA HERE!!! Bartolo has done it!!! THE IMPOSSIBLE HAS HAPPENED!!! This is one of the great moments in the history of baseball! Bartolo Colon has gone deep!" ---Gary Cohen. (May 7, 2016) (Petco Park) NYM 6 @ SD 3
rjl518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:12 PM   #7
Giants44
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvam14 View Post
Where did you get the idea that my stadiums wouldn’t work in the new 3D mode. They work beautifully

just an assumption that "modern 3D" meant a new format that the new models we have seen screens of are in

"classic 3D" meant the old format

this assumption comes 100% from watching the video today and the first time I had even seen the new screen options.

As you know I have always been a bigger promoter and supporter of your work. amazing stuff that I use extensively.

mostly just posting here because I dont have the new game in hand and my real life game today got rained out so I am poking around the forums wishing it was next week.

-Martin Luther King

-Einstein

-Muhammad Ali

-Toby Harrah
Old 03-14-2018, 08:24 PM   #8
Giants44
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caporegime View Post
I'm split on this. On the one hand, I would never, ever begrudge anyone for receiving fair compensation for providing extra content that helps to enhance the overall enjoyment of a game. On the other, based on my experiences in other gaming communities, a culture where a steady deluge of additional pay content, add-ons, DLCs, "little extras", or whatever else you want to call them, are not just tolerated, but accepted as a fait accompli, can really leave a bad taste in one's mouth.

Not to single out any other game developers (Cough...Para...cough...dox...cough!!), but it seems like every time a certain individual in Stockholm, Sweden sneezes, it costs a certain gaming community $29.99 for the honor of hearing the echo. Yes, I know that all the extra content is "optional", but so is being an avaricious prick, no?

At any rate, I'm on the fence. I love OOTP, and would eagerly support the community....provided that support doesn't take advantage of that love.
I agree and I have seen both sides of it.

for example in FM - I am happy to pay the 5/6 bucks whatever it is to be able to fully edit everything. I think that is very much worth the cost.

In all of the xbox sports games I find the whole pay for coins, or tokens or whatever so yo can add tattoos or model LMNOP shoes to be insane. I could care less about that kind of stuff. Clearly that isnt for me. Then again I have very little interest in those modes anyway since I care about GM\sim side of things. the issue is that business model has become THE driving focus of those games. thus the sim side rarely gets improved.

for baseball, who cares. We have OOTP and nothing on that side is going to improve upon that.

for basketball - the wolverine games are fine. But haven't made much progress despite annual releases and the in game and lack of influence always leads me to loss of interest. 2k basketball is fun, but I would love an OOTP of basketball

for football - most know about the off endless close but no cigar trek to achieve a real sim for the NFL.

for soccer, I think FM is about as close to OOTP as we get. It is an amazing game. So much so that I went from a dont care about soccer person to a fairly interested fan 90% because of FM. truly immersive game. Also probably helps that I understand so little about real soccer that none of the warts actually bother me, because I never notice them in the first place.

last of a very long thought, so you are saying my "waking the tiger" investment this morning isnt going to prove to be worthwhile?

-Martin Luther King

-Einstein

-Muhammad Ali

-Toby Harrah
Old 03-14-2018, 08:29 PM   #9
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
just an assumption that "modern 3D" meant a new format that the new models we have seen screens of are in

"classic 3D" meant the old format

this assumption comes 100% from watching the video today and the first time I had even seen the new screen options.

As you know I have always been a bigger promoter and supporter of your work. amazing stuff that I use extensively.

mostly just posting here because I dont have the new game in hand and my real life game today got rained out so I am poking around the forums wishing it was next week.

Oh I totally
Understand. Just wanted you to know that it shouldn’t be an issue. My parks have a few less features that the new models have (like shadows)

I just went through all of my historic parks and made some tweaks to textures where I thought necessary. I’ll always be working to improve my parks a little here and a little there and then try and add a few more as I go.

Thanks for your support.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:31 PM   #10
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:

What I got was the difference between classic and modern is simply the design of the widgets. IE classic uses the widget design from v18 while v19 uses the new "sleek" designs. Either set works around whatever ballpark you care to use them with be it the new pretty OOTP defaults or mods from the community.

I know you ask for the opinion of historical players only because only they would have interest and would "pay the bill". Problem with that is once started in one place it is easily tried again in another... Oh, you'd like alternate jerseys you say? Sure we can do that with a little DLC

I would rather Markus continue on the current path of putting out one version at one price, whatever they decide to add (parks, alternate jerseys, historical jerseys etc.). If that means a price increase for everyone that's cool by me. Hopefully though any content like this is paid for by increased sales.

Too me a great selling point of OOTP is that you can play any season in the history of baseball. You don't have to pay more, it's simply included. IMHO it should be the same for ballparks, alternate jerseys, or anything else you can think of.

My 2 cents
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:03 PM   #11
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
true, plus never doubting the ability of the guys that do it now. I use them and they are amazing.

Just hoping that if there is a market, compensating people for good work often motivates those folks to do more good work.

as a ballpark hoarder I dream of a day where every historical ballpark and another 20+ fictional parks are all available.

and yes, I did spend an inordinate amount of time creating ballparks in Earl Weaver baseball. still one of the coolest features ever over the years.
Silvam only has a few parks that he hasnt made and those are all pre 1900. Every single ML park has been made already. i wont pay for it. I'll go without.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:41 PM   #12
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

no pay... pay bad.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:47 PM   #13
kenman
Minors (Single A)

Not of interest to me. I would not pay extra,
kenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:09 PM   #14
Giants44
Hall Of Famer

clearly I am in the severe minority here. and I get it.

I will say as by dying argument fades that I would understand the hard line stance against EA or 2K - large corporations with long records of trying to squeeze every penny out of users.

But Markus and co have long record of putting the users first, so I wouldn't be worried about getting squeezed.

But I concede that very few people are interested in this so I will just watch my NCAA bracket get busted and try to survive mars for next 4 days until we get the game in hand.

-Martin Luther King

-Einstein

-Muhammad Ali

-Toby Harrah
Old 03-15-2018, 01:06 PM   #15
sprague
All Star Starter

This is just my opinion,
But I feel great modders here like Silva, or spritze, or I remember gern and his unis....they should be able to get a thank you from us.
I thought their work is always free for us, but they get s PayPal button so we can drop $5 to a certain modded whose stuff we use a lot. Won’t buy anyone a house, but a way to say thanks and they can take the family out for a few dinners on the ootp community for saying thanks...
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:23 PM   #16
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:

Just speaking as a private person here and not as an OOTP representative (Don't panic, we're not going to the Paradox model ), I actually don't mind Paradox's way of doing things at all. I like it.

It keeps the games I like fresh and getting updates, patches and more love far beyond when they would've in the past.

In the past you'd buy EU I, then in a few years EU II, then EU III and each game would take a step back along with a few steps forward.

Now you can keep playing the same game much longer and the addons add interesting functionality to the existing game, rather than tearing things up and forcing you to start over new every couple years. And if you're short on money or don't like a particular DLC, well since they're all modular you can just skip it or get it when you want.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 03-15-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Lukas Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:33 PM   #17
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I read what Lukas just said but I must lean in this direction. The last sentence is how I feel as well. I'd rather see OOTP raise its price a bit to provide such frills (sorry folks, hold your tomatoes) than see it go down the other road.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:39 PM   #18
T-Bone
Minors (Double A)

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvam14 View Post
Oh I totally
Understand. Just wanted you to know that it shouldn’t be an issue. My parks have a few less features that the new models have (like shadows)

I just went through all of my historic parks and made some tweaks to textures where I thought necessary. I’ll always be working to improve my parks a little here and a little there and then try and add a few more as I go.

Thanks for your support.

I have used a few of these and they are great, but I would also be willing to pay for them to be included in the game and defaulted to the correct teams and years (i.e. when I play the 1985 Giants, Candlestick is their home park).
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:46 PM   #19
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
I read what Lukas just said but I must lean in this direction. The last sentence is how I feel as well. I'd rather see OOTP raise its price a bit to provide such frills (sorry folks, hold your tomatoes) than see it go down the other road.
These are definitely not frills. I understand not wanting to pay extra for them, particularly if you don't use them, but these are bloody works of art. I don't want to pay extra for them either. I like the suggestion of PayPal or some method of rewarding these artists for their incredible work if you use it. That way it's totally optional whether you want to or not. If you can, you kick in a few bucks. If you can't no worries. Don't worry, no tomatoes here.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:53 PM   #20
spartacus007
Minors (Triple A)

Absolutely, yes. These ballparks take a lot of time to create, and it could be a way to compensate our hardest-working modders.

Historical Mode:
OOTP 24 (Challenge Mode)
⚾ 1901-19 Reds: 🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🏆🏆🏆🏆
FHM 10
🏒 1909-18 Wanderers: 🏆
🏒 1918-19: Arenas/St. Patricks: 🏆🏆
spartacus007 is offline   Reply With Quote