Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 09:56 PM   #1
ForemanFan
Minors (Triple A)

Bring Back The Stars!!!!

Oh man, it's funny how you never know how much you dig something until it's gone. The out-of-five-star rating system was fantastic and was often how I judged players for potential trades or drafts, or even their future in my system. Now, it takes forever and a day to find out how good a player is and consumes FAR too much of the overall game experience. It should be a no-brainer system, particularly with established players. I mean, everyone and his brother knows how good someone like Pujols is, his strengths and weaknesses, so why in the world should we have to scout someone like him?? I can understand scouting for minor leaguers or hidden talents and such, but not for the majority of guys in the Bigs. Ah, well, c'est la vie.

George is comin' back. . . again!
Old 05-31-2006, 09:59 PM   #2
Hotwheelz
All Star Starter

I miss it as a way to quickly glance through a large group of players.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:02 PM   #3
Cras
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwheelz
"
2000, 2005, 2008 American League Central Division Champions
1983, 1993 American League West Division Champions

OOTP | Orbiter | SSMS | FSX | LoL | MLP:FIM!
Old 05-31-2006, 10:11 PM   #4
Jason
Hall Of Famer

I understand what you guys are saying but I completely disagree. I'm glad the stars are gone because it brings a little more challenge into it (IMO).
Old 05-31-2006, 10:15 PM   #5
Theonlystd
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale And Eli's Dad
I understand what you guys are saying but I completely disagree. I'm glad the stars are gone because it brings a little more challenge into it (IMO).

i dont want that challenge
Old 05-31-2006, 10:15 PM   #6
Kelric
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Agreed.

DAED - IMO it would have been much better to simply have the stars as an option rather than eliminating them completely. Now I have no idea how good my minor league players are when looking at them on my transaction screen without going through them one... by one... by about 150.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:19 PM   #7
sfgiants88
All Star Reserve

Quote:
""
Old 05-31-2006, 10:19 PM   #8
Jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelric
Agreed.

DAED - IMO it would have been much better to simply have the stars as an option rather than eliminating them completely. Now I have no idea how good my minor league players are when looking at them on my transaction screen without going through them one... by one... by about 150.
You can have one of your scouts scout the entire organization and then you can look at your players through the main roster screens instead of one by one.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:19 PM   #9
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

My problem with the stars is that all too often they weren't terribly accurate. Anyway, I like the new version better: if I want a scout to tell me his opinion of a guy's ability, that's great, but it's not sitting right up there next to his name every time I look at him. It does make it harder to look at large groups of people and sort them out, yes. That's what scouts are for, and furthermore I like the fact that you can only really get a good read on a small portion of the player pool when it's time to make a trade/draft/etc. It keeps you on your toes and in a sense forces you to get immersed in the league.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:21 PM   #10
TheDROCK
Minors (Triple A)

I miss the star rating too. The one problem ive had with the new game is it takes a lot of time to do some stuff that only took a few seconds in the other OOTP versions. Im spending way more time going through lists and way less time playing out any games.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:21 PM   #11
Doughnuts?
All Star Reserve

Not even an option for stars? Thats terrible.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:22 PM   #12
Poweshow
Minors (Triple A)

Infractions: 0/3 (3)
I think *IF* the stars are to come back the should certainly be optional... and Im sure they would be optional. I do miss them, but I enjoy the new challenge. It makes you really have to get involved within your organization. Either way im fine -
Old 05-31-2006, 10:22 PM   #13
CaLíKrAzY
All Star Reserve

Make it an option, thats what OOTP does the best...
Old 05-31-2006, 10:26 PM   #14
ForemanFan
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift
My problem with the stars is that all too often they weren't terribly accurate. Anyway, I like the new version better: if I want a scout to tell me his opinion of a guy's ability, that's great, but it's not sitting right up there next to his name every time I look at him. It does make it harder to look at large groups of people and sort them out, yes. That's what scouts are for, and furthermore I like the fact that you can only really get a good read on a small portion of the player pool when it's time to make a trade/draft/etc. It keeps you on your toes and in a sense forces you to get immersed in the league.
In real life a player's "rating" smacks you in the face every time you pick up a sports page with an article about him. Tell me, even without your not being a Major League scout, am I incorrect to label Pujols or A-Rod as 5 star players? I dig the scout portion of it for certain things only, I just don't want to have to RELY on a scout to tell me just how good every single player in the league is. And as far as making it less challenging, I think there are quite a few other aspects of the game that have that already covered.

At least make it a toggle-able option. That's all. It would increase my zeal for the game ten-fold. . . twenty-fold! Gosh, I love hyperbole. . .

Old 05-31-2006, 10:27 PM   #15
mrbill
All Star Reserve

Stars were an option in the past version as well, so if people have disliked them in the past, ideally they have been playing without them for years.

We'll have to see if filters can be made advanced enough to give you the ability to make up for stars.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:28 PM   #16
ozziethesaint
Banned

I agree the Stars need to be brought back as an option. taking them completely out is a huge mistake
Old 05-31-2006, 10:30 PM   #17
smeyers003
Major Leagues

Yeah I see no reason why stars cannot be optional like displaying ratings and potential. Also the rating is pretty much there already in the scouting reports in relation to the rest of the league. Bringing them back as an option would certainly save a lot of time.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:30 PM   #18
ForemanFan
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift
Usually their inaccuracy had much to do with the quality/ability of the scouts. Sure, the scouts were involved then but it was much simpler and more basic. Then again, like someone posted above, in earlier versions you could toggle it on or off, which made it attractive to the casual and serious gamer alike.

I'm sure Markus and Co. will eventually make it an option. *crosses fingers*

Last edited by ForemanFan; 05-31-2006 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:30 PM   #19
edrooney
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale And Eli's Dad
I totally agree with this. I hated the stars in OOTP previous versions. I wanted to decide, based om ratings and history, the relative value of players. The stars took any challenge out of it. Why include ratings or stats? Just base all things on stars. A fun game.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:31 PM   #20
RBLwebguy
Hall Of Famer

for the record...I did lobby for them
Closed Thread