Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 07-05-2005, 06:01 PM   #1
Comedian2004
Hall Of Famer

Minors does not use closers

How come the minor league does not use the closer role? Look at a computer controlled team under MINOR LEAGUE STAFF and you will see no person set for the closer role.

In fact, generally you see only one closer per team. A team may have 200 catchers in their system, but just 1, maybe 2 closers. That is in the majors and minors.

Could this be why the closer role seems so messed up?
Old 07-05-2005, 08:02 PM   #2
DougWyatt
All Star Starter

I've noticed this, but I never minded. I would prefer my top relief pitcher to go into a higher innning MR role to gain more experience. Works best IMO for developement.

-- Well, unless of course him being a minor league closer will help increase his "clutch" rating
DougWyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 08:25 PM   #3
Comedian2004
Hall Of Famer

I understand what you are saying, but there are no real closers being prepared in the minors. Players working on their skills of coming in with the bases loaded to save the game. I notice that closers usually are older guys that did not make it as starters, it is almost like the starter role gets the same respect that the mop up roll gets.

How about the 1st year drafts? Are their closers that come in that way? I will have to follow up on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougWyatt
I've noticed this, but I never minded. I would prefer my top relief pitcher to go into a higher innning MR role to gain more experience. Works best IMO for developement.

-- Well, unless of course him being a minor league closer will help increase his "clutch" rating
Old 07-05-2005, 08:27 PM   #4
jarmenia
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comedian2004
I understand what you are saying, but there are no real closers being prepared in the minors. Players working on their skills of coming in with the bases loaded to save the game. I notice that closers usually are older guys that did not make it as starters, it is almost like the starter role gets the same respect that the mop up roll gets.

How about the 1st year drafts? Are their closers that come in that way? I will have to follow up on that.

I believe this to be accurate. How many kids come up as closers in MLB? I don't know of any. Usually they are starters that convert, or MR that start out as setup men and then move into the closer role.
jarmenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 09:01 PM   #5
Dagrims
Hall Of Famer

In my solo leagues, I generally change the role of the best reliever at each minor league level from MR to closer. I assume this could be done for each team.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:05 PM   #6
Comedian2004
Hall Of Famer

I am looking at the International League stats:

The save leader has 17 saves in 34 games.

In fact, the top 10 in saves have twice or three or more times games then saves.

But, that does tell you that the guy is being groomed as a save guy.

Has much research been done into making a guy a 'closer' when he was RP or starter?
Old 07-05-2005, 09:16 PM   #7
jarmenia
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comedian2004
I am looking at the International League stats:

The save leader has 17 saves in 34 games.

In fact, the top 10 in saves have twice or three or more times games then saves.

But, that does tell you that the guy is being groomed as a save guy.

Has much research been done into making a guy a 'closer' when he was RP or starter?
I haven't done any research but when I think of all the great closers, I can't think of a single one comming up as a closer. Eckersly, Smith, Dibble, Franco... and more modern, Izzringhousen (SP?), Smoltz, Kolb. None came to the majors as closers.

I do however see your point. They are getting the saves in the minors, but when they come to the majors, it shouldn't be as a closer IHMO, but as a MR that will be converted to a closer. Now, the big question is, will the AI convert a good MR to a Closer?
Old 07-05-2005, 09:19 PM   #8
smeyers003
Major Leagues

It's becoming more common now with colleges putting more importance in the closer role, look at a guy like Huston Street.
smeyers003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 09:41 PM   #9
jarmenia
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeyers003
It's becoming more common now with colleges putting more importance in the closer role, look at a guy like Huston Street.

Maybe version 7 then? The engine is what, 6+ years old?
Old 07-05-2005, 10:17 PM   #10
Comedian2004
Hall Of Famer

Actually, it is a year old. When they released this version, it was pushed as REWRITTEN FROM THE GROUND UP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmenia
Maybe version 7 then? The engine is what, 6+ years old?
Old 07-05-2005, 10:18 PM   #11
Cardinal Rule
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeyers003
Yep - I think up until a few years ago there weren't many guys that were groomed to be closers. Matt Anderson was tabbed early in his pro career to be the closer of the future for the Tigers, and now there's Huston Street. But many of the successful closers in recent history have been starters to begin their career - iirc Urbina and Wetteland were both starters to begin.