Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 03-30-2020, 01:35 AM   #1
Otops
Bat Boy

It has been a long time... I am curious...

Hello O.O.T.P. community!

For some reason, while I have been sitting at home, I got this thought about O.O.T.P. Baseball. So I searched it and found that the latest version was released only days ago. WoW!

As I said in the subject line. I am curious. I am curious to hear thoughts about someone like me, who hasn't played in a lot of years, could jump back on the bicycle and ride fairly smoothly. So... Do you think this could work?

I played religiously going back to 1999. I co-founded a very active league in 2000 that ran until 2008 (I believe) but I had to give up the reigns. I wrote two columns for our league newspaper for five years. Bottom line, I/we had A LOT of fun.

I stopped playing due to marriage, kids, crazy job, etc. but I am at a point in life where I could dedicate time to O.O.T.P. again. Quite frankly, I want to revisit and relive the fun.

What are your general thoughts? Can this happen or has the game advanced so much that someone like me will have to deal with a vast learning curve? Are there a lot of online leagues nowadays? I assume so.

Anyway... I am going to spend some time exploring the forum. I look forward to hearing some of your thoughts.

Thank you ahead of time!
Old 03-30-2020, 01:45 AM   #2
Mat
All Star Reserve

Welcome back.

While a lot has changed I do not think it would take you long to get back into it!
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:52 AM   #3
Otops
Bat Boy

So... My first vote for "GET PLAYING".

I am thinking it is time.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:46 AM   #4
Simmo13
All Star Reserve

Absolutely.....GET PLAYING......and welcome back to this great game.
Simmo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:02 AM   #5
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
You don't say exactly how long you've been on the sidelines but I assume for quite a few years?

Dude you are going to be blown away by how far the game has come!

Same game, more depth and options. I actually think it's easier to understand as more real life roster rules have been added to the game. But then I've not taken a break since 2002

I would think if you tinker around with it a bit and then jump into an online league you'll be fine. Those guys, I'm sure, will be willing to help out. Even if you went solo leauge (my way of playing) with your experience you'd be up and running in no time.

I think by posting here your decision has already been made, yeah?
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:23 AM   #6
Otops
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
You don't say exactly how long you've been on the sidelines but I assume for quite a few years?

Dude you are going to be blown away by how far the game has come!

Same game, more depth and options. I actually think it's easier to understand as more real life roster rules have been added to the game. But then I've not taken a break since 2002

I would think if you tinker around with it a bit and then jump into an online league you'll be fine. Those guys, I'm sure, will be willing to help out. Even if you went solo leauge (my way of playing) with your experience you'd be up and running in no time.

I think by posting here your decision has already been made, yeah?
I have been gone since 2002 (or 2003). I dabbled in 2005 but never got back into it the way I used to be into it.

Glad to hear that you think it is easier to understand not that I ever had any issues before. With that said, the game was so deep back then. I can't even begin to imagine how much deeper it has gotten. I presume A LOT!

As for my decision being made... Believe it or not, it actually wasn't but after reading your comment I think it is (now).

Thank you! Time to jump back into this!
Old 03-30-2020, 09:30 AM   #7
Otops
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmo13 View Post
Absolutely.....GET PLAYING......and welcome back to this great game.
I think you are right. It's time. (Of course, after this conference call I have in 30 minutes.)
Old 03-30-2020, 09:42 AM   #8
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otops View Post
I have been gone since 2002 (or 2003). I dabbled in 2005 but never got back into it the way I used to be into it.

Glad to hear that you think it is easier to understand not that I ever had any issues before. With that said, the game was so deep back then. I can't even begin to imagine how much deeper it has gotten. I presume A LOT!

As for my decision being made... Believe it or not, it actually wasn't but after reading your comment I think it is (now).

Thank you! Time to jump back into this!
With your mention of online league and 2008 I assumed you had played post 2006, the year of the total rewrite and the base of the current game.

Blown away doesn't begin to describe what you are going to see

Coming from v4 or v5 there is going to be a lot to look at for sure. If I were you I'd take my time going through the settings screens and taking in all of the options, it's going to be a big jump. There are too many to mention. League total modifiers that set themselves now with the autocalc button is a big one, IE no more having to manually adjust anything to get realistic stats. Each league level can have it's own settings for many categories IE League Totals, age limits, roster sizes etc.
And so much more.

As to easier, yes I think if you have a decent understanding of how current roster rules work etc. it's not hard to get a handle on things. It's all
of the options that will look daunting. Take your time going through these would be my suggestion. Run a test season or two. Ask questions here , of course.

If you look around first, don't get in a hurry, and make it a leisurely journey I think you'll have fun. If the kids are over your shoulder needing lots of attention well... take a breath, calm yourself, get them taken care of, and return to the game when you can I'm well past those years but I never forget
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:52 AM   #9
Otops
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
With your mention of online league and 2008 I assumed you had played post 2006, the year of the total rewrite and the base of the current game.

Blown away doesn't begin to describe what you are going to see

Coming from v4 or v5 there is going to be a lot to look at for sure. If I were you I'd take my time going through the settings screens and taking in all of the options, it's going to be a big jump. There are too many to mention. League total modifiers that set themselves now with the autocalc button is a big one, IE no more having to manually adjust anything to get realistic stats. Each league level can have it's own settings for many categories IE League Totals, age limits, roster sizes etc.
And so much more.

As to easier, yes I think if you have a decent understanding of how current roster rules work etc. it's not hard to get a handle on things. It's all
of the options that will look daunting. Take your time going through these would be my suggestion. Run a test season or two. Ask questions here , of course.

If you look around first, don't get in a hurry, and make it a leisurely journey I think you'll have fun. If the kids are over your shoulder needing lots of attention well... take a breath, calm yourself, get them taken care of, and return to the game when you can I'm well past those years but I never forget
I absolutely loved searching for prospects in my online league. I am assuming the scouting features are so much more advanced.

Now I am trying to figure out if I buy the program for my computer (like I did in the past) will I be able to ALSO install it on a tablet OR do I have to buy two licenses? Or do I just play it on one device? It would be so perfect if I could use both.

Thank you (again) for your comment!
Old 03-30-2020, 11:17 AM   #10
kcroyalgm
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otops View Post
I absolutely loved searching for prospects in my online league. I am assuming the scouting features are so much more advanced.

Now I am trying to figure out if I buy the program for my computer (like I did in the past) will I be able to ALSO install it on a tablet OR do I have to buy two licenses? Or do I just play it on one device? It would be so perfect if I could use both.

Thank you (again) for your comment!
If you mean a tablet like an iPad, OOTP won't work on it. It needs to be a Windows, Mac, or Linux computer. When you buy a license, you can run it on two machines (of the same operating system). I run mine on my desktop Windows computer and my Surface Pro Windows computer.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:45 AM   #11
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

The difference between OOTP2006 and OOTP21 will be absolutely amazing!

You will go from driving a Model T Ford to a Tesla.

Don't hesitate a minute... YOU WILL ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE GAME!

Among all the great improvements since 2006, the 3D is truly amazing!
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 12:10 PM   #12
Otops
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcroyalgm View Post
If you mean a tablet like an iPad, OOTP won't work on it. It needs to be a Windows, Mac, or Linux computer. When you buy a license, you can run it on two machines (of the same operating system). I run mine on my desktop Windows computer and my Surface Pro Windows computer.
Man! Thank you for posting this. You answered my biggest question.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:48 PM   #13
Otops
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Church View Post

Ha! Great analogy!
Old 03-30-2020, 11:05 PM   #14
discodude5
Major Leagues

There's also online manuals done for ootp and they can be quite helpful.

http://manuals.ootpdevelopments.com/...php?man=ootp21
discodude5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:22 AM   #15
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Church View Post

Great analogy. This is the time span encompassing the entire arc of my experience with OOTPB. I can hardly imagine what it would be like to suddenly progress from point A to point B.

It would be like having played the game and loved it from the beginning, falling into a coma for 14 years, then awakening and seeing the monolith from 2001: A Space Odyssey looming over me.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:23 AM   #16
24Rocks
All Star Reserve

Honestly don't be afraid if this game overwhelms you with information and options, there is so much stuff that even veteran players are still learning you can do things.

Welcome back to fold and its also a good bonding tool to share with your kids, Me and my dad started playing together (OOTP5) when I was 12 we joined in a few online leagues.
It helped to fullly develop my love for baseball and have some common ground to talk about.

AFBL:Ontario Blue Pirates (2013-2055) 3177-3255(.494)
Wild Card:8
Division Titles: 8
Pennants: 2020, 2049, 2051
2051 CHAMPS

Former leagues:
LOHO: Detroit Tigers
ISL: San Diego Padres
VSL: Pittsburgh Pirates
NPBL: Ohio Raptors/Nova Scotia Fishermen
Check you my YOUTUBE or TWITCH
24Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote