Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 03-24-2020, 08:53 AM   #1
Mike1294
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Coaches Rating

So I see how when you go to sign a coach you can check their development and player influence rating but how can I check it when they are already signed?

I'm trying to get all my coaches to be atleast good in developmental influence in the minors and trying to decide who to promote or who to let go this offseason but can't find the ratings.
Mike1294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:10 AM   #2
Mike1294
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Anyone know of this? I'm still looking and can't seem to find anything.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:04 PM   #3
smithtm
Minors (Double A)

I believe you need to be in commissioner mode. Then when you click on your coach, scout, etc., there will be an editor tab available that allows you to see their settings.
smithtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:37 PM   #4
discodude5
Major Leagues

I was actually thinking of using coaches in my long running fictional universe since the addition of those ratings really help.
However not having those ratings show up on their page makes it another year without using coaches.
I don't want to know their exact ratings from the edit screen and don't want to have to click on every coach and try to remember who's good and who's not.

Why can players have all the ratings and stats to evaluate them but personal are so vague and tedious to try to get any useful info?
discodude5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:10 AM   #5
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Put them on your staff shortlist.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:15 AM   #6
Mike1294
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Yea I mean I don't understand why I can check to see how good a coach is developing players when he is a free agent but I can't find that info after I've signed them. Maybe something that could be added in the next patch. Pretty please. Haha
Old 03-27-2020, 10:05 AM   #7
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

This is my staff shortlist and it contains my coaches on it, I am Chicago.
Isn't this what you are looking for?
Attached Images
Old 03-27-2020, 05:57 PM   #8
Mike1294
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Yea it is but when I tried it, it wasn't showing anything for Dev Influence. Like on your screen shot why isn't it showing anything for the coaches up top?

Also it would be so much simpler if you could atleast view it from their profile. I'm lazy I don't like to do so much clicking. Haha.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:33 PM   #9
naturaldopamine
Minors (Double A)

The real question is does it really make a difference who you hire?? Wish there was some raw data to prove what these ratings actually change, if anything.

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do."
Oscar Gamble
naturaldopamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:16 PM   #10
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1294 View Post
Yea it is but when I tried it, it wasn't showing anything for Dev Influence. Like on your screen shot why isn't it showing anything for the coaches up top?

Also it would be so much simpler if you could atleast view it from their profile. I'm lazy I don't like to do so much clicking. Haha.
Could be from the initial import in the beta release. There was something about some coaches not having that show up. Doesn't bother me enough to worry about.

Takes less clicks to make a shortlist once then all of the clicks it will take to open each coach card to find the info. Also that info does not show up on all coach cards. They are manager or bench coach attributes.

Batting\Pitching coaches influence is just a list of players they have a higher influence on based on their style IE power, finesse etc., not whether they are excellent, good, poor etc.. Relationship doesn't show up at all. However having this on your shortlist does give you an idea if they would be good managers or bench coaches.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:19 AM   #11
Mike1294
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Could be from the initial import in the beta release. There was something about some coaches not having that show up. Doesn't bother me enough to worry about.

Takes less clicks to make a shortlist once then all of the clicks it will take to open each coach card to find the info. Also that info does not show up on all coach cards. They are manager or bench coach attributes.

Batting\Pitching coaches influence is just a list of players they have a higher influence on based on their style IE power, finesse etc., not whether they are excellent, good, poor etc.. Relationship doesn't show up at all. However having this on your shortlist does give you an idea if they would be good managers or bench coaches.
I'm talking about developmental influence. I think that it's a pretty big deal since I assume that it means it will influence how my minor league players develop. I mean whats the point in even having a minor league or a draft if your not gonna try to develop players the best you can.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:44 AM   #12
eas9898
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturaldopamine View Post
The real question is does it really make a difference who you hire?? Wish there was some raw data to prove what these ratings actually change, if anything.

Yeah, this is the real question here. I mean, we WANT there to be some effects, but without having any idea what they are, if any, it becomes an element of the game that is lacking.
eas9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:01 AM   #13
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturaldopamine View Post
Like real life, there aren’t any raw data that proves staff makes a huge differences in development therefore features like this in the game have effect but nothing huge. Turning staff off will put everyone on a neutral playing field in development. When it’s on, some teams will have a edge over another.

Quote:
Managers and Bench Coaches

Aside from their reputation, managers should be judged based on their personality, strategy, and style.

Manager Personality can be one of Personable, Easygoing, Normal, Temperamental, or Controlling. Each personality will affect his relationship to the players on the team. A personable manager will tend to be friendlier with the players, but may not have as much control in the room if the team is going through a tough stretch. A controlling manager is more of the opposite – while some players will respect his style, many will not enjoy playing for him. However the controls should help the clubhouse from devolving into chaos. A temperamental manager will tend to either love players or hate them, however there is often a reason that manager has made it that far despite his personality. An easygoing manager will go with the flow – the players like him in good times, but might not in tough times.

Manager Style will often dictate their game strategy, and will reflect their mentality when managing: Conventional, Sabermetric, Smallball, Tactician, or Unorthodox. The text of the "Personality and Style" description will elaborate on the exact implications of their style.

Roster Strategy for managers will guide how they build their lineups – a manager that heavily favors prospects will be more willing to give the young player a chance, for example.

The Relationships tab for managers has 2 panes, relationships and development. Relationships describe both the general overall impression the team has of the manager, as well as detailing which players will have good or bad relationships with the manager. Development Influence indicates which players whose development the manager will be particularly effective (high) or ineffective (low) at influencing.

Bench Coaches have the same personality, style, and strategy ratings types as managers. Their training effects on players are slightly different, focusing more on running and fielding than other areas.

Quote:
Hitting and Pitching Coaches

Coaches are mainly guided by their focus: Hitting coaches may be focused on power, contact, patience, or neutral; pitching coaches focuses are power, finesse, groundball, or neutral. They will emphasize development and improvements based on their tendency – power hitting coaches will tend to help all players' power ratings increase, for example.

The focus also defines players who the coach will work best with - a power hitter will tend to get a better overall improvement from a power focused hitting coach. The Relationships tab indicates which players are classified as belonging to the same style as the coach.

Last edited by SirMichaelJordan; 03-28-2020 at 09:02 AM.
SirMichaelJordan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:04 AM   #14
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1294 View Post
I'm talking about developmental influence. I think that it's a pretty big deal since I assume that it means it will influence how my minor league players develop. I mean whats the point in even having a minor league or a draft if your not gonna try to develop players the best you can.
From the manual....

Quote:
The Relationships tab for managers has 2 panes, relationships and development. Relationships describe both the general overall impression the team has of the manager, as well as detailing which players will have good or bad relationships with the manager. Development Influence indicates which players whose development the manager will be particularly effective (high) or ineffective (low) at influencing.

Bench Coaches have the same personality, style, and strategy ratings types as managers. Their training effects on players are slightly different, focusing more on running and fielding than other areas.
With regard to your draft, managers and bench coaches influence development for all players. So your drafted players are indeed being developed. Some high, some low, some normal or whatever you want to call it.

Quote:
Hitting and Pitching Coaches
Coaches are mainly guided by their focus: Hitting coaches may be focused on power, contact, patience, or neutral; pitching coaches focuses are power, finesse, groundball, or neutral. They will emphasize development and improvements based on their tendency – power hitting coaches will tend to help all players' power ratings increase, for example.

The focus also defines players who the coach will work best with - a power hitter will tend to get a better overall improvement from a power focused hitting coach. The Relationships tab indicates which players are classified as belonging to the same style as the coach.
So again, all players are being developed, it's just a question of focus with the position coaches. You could have all finesse PC and only draft control type pitchers if you want. You could hire only "neutral" PCs to get pitchers that are more rounded. You could do what I do, have each level specialize with a different focus and hope each P being exposed to each type of training leads to a better P. Same for batters and HCs.

Your original question was about not being able to see "development" and "influence" ratings. I've shown you where you can see that info. How does that relate to a PC\BC compared to a manager\BC? I don't know for sure the manual doesn't really say. But.... if it is a manager\BC attribute only it does not mean your players are not being developed. They are, by their manger, BenchC, and PC, or BC by position.

My personal belief is if a guy has a high development attribute, even if only a PC\BC, it still applies towards their focus. If not then they would all have the same default which , doesn't make sense to me. But that is only a guess.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:17 AM   #15
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eas9898 View Post
Yeah, this is the real question here. I mean, we WANT there to be some effects, but without having any idea what they are, if any, it becomes an element of the game that is lacking.
So you want to know the under the hood formula? IE Expert gives 10% bonus, Good 8%, average 4% etc.?

I don't know if that is what you are getting at or not but there are some who crave this info and will run hundreds of test seasons trying to figure it out.

I can't think of a better way to ruin the illusion Markus is trying to create of playing in a real baseball world.

My answer to what effect does it have? It is the same as the real world. Wins\losses, playoff appearances, championships, team batting, pitching, fielding stats. How do I know the coaches were responsible for my success or failure? Well to put it simply, I don't.

Did Joe Maddon win a world series for the Cubs? Would they have won with someone else? How does one measure that? With his pitching decisions in the final game (taking out Hendricks) I thought he lost if for them. The history book tells me he won it for them. Thank the baseball gods
Old 03-28-2020, 10:55 PM   #16
greenOak
Minors (Triple A)

Bumping this because I also can't see Dev Influence. I can't see it in the shortlist either. This is what I get:

P.S. The shortlist trick only works for MLB personnel it seems.
Attached Images

Last edited by greenOak; 03-28-2020 at 11:13 PM.
greenOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 05:04 AM   #17
thesmokeshow
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenOak View Post
Bumping this because I also can't see Dev Influence. I can't see it in the shortlist either. This is what I get:

Maybe try switching the position from ‘all coaches’ to ‘manager. Maybe you’re not getting that because you’re not defining what position you want them for. Just a guess, worth a shot.

I’ve never had a problem seeing that info. Wondering if something isn’t right on that screen for you
thesmokeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:18 AM   #18
greenOak
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesmokeshow View Post
Maybe try switching the position from ‘all coaches’ to ‘manager. Maybe you’re not getting that because you’re not defining what position you want them for. Just a guess, worth a shot.

I’ve never had a problem seeing that info. Wondering if something isn’t right on that screen for you
Doesn't work. And are you sure you're not looking at major league or jobless personnel? Because the pic the other poster showed of this "working" failed for all his minor league personnel.

Last edited by greenOak; 03-29-2020 at 07:19 AM.
greenOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:27 AM   #19
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenOak View Post

You can add development influence with customize view. I don't recall adding that to my default coach but if you don't have it and I do I must have.

You are correct about it only working for MLB personnel. It works for all coaches on the "available" screen and should work for all coaches here too.

I think the real fix should be made in the transactions screen.

These are the only two options

MLB Transactions>personnel>available
MLB Transactions>personnel> pending offers

There is no way to show all employed coaches and there should be.

Players have a player tab and a free agent tab.

Personnel should be the same way so we can look at both. There should be a tab for either all, and we can sort, or employed...

MLB>Transactions>personnel>employed