Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 03-14-2020, 10:17 AM   #1
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

'Stats Only' suggestion

I'm sure this is too late for the upcoming version, but it would be nice if there would be an alternate player view for people who play stats only.

By player view I mean that when you play "stats only" and play out a game or look at a player page, there are so many gaps where ratings would normally be. How nice if, for a league designated as "stats only," those gaps would be populated with other stats: WAR, VORP, etc.

This is a minor thing. I'm sure there are other, far more important issues to resolve as the developers work to produce as perfect a baseball sim as possible. But it might be worth thinking about.

My most recent OOTP is number 18, and I just started a "stats only" league because I spotted a bunch of city jerseys I would like to use. People here have been talking about the fun of "stats only" play, and my suggestion would possibly make it more interesting.
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs
Antonin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 06:43 PM   #2
Roy Tucker
Minors (Triple A)

I made this same suggestion about a week ago!!!

Make the rating windows for the main player page customizable widgets and let stat only players replace the windows with the different stats we'd like to see
Roy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:31 AM   #3
Roy Tucker
Minors (Triple A)

Kind of bummed nobody else seems to care about this.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2020, 12:44 PM   #4
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

Don't give up yet. The player profile page is customizable in 21 if I understood correctly. We might have it already. We'll find out tomorrow.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 02:47 PM   #5
davidtaylorjr1985
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marlin View Post
Don't give up yet. The player profile page is customizable in 21 if I understood correctly. We might have it already. We'll find out tomorrow.
From the first look sessions, it looks like you can make it into just about anything.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:00 PM   #6
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marlin View Post
How about the player view while you are playing out a game? If you are playing stats only, when you see the players on the field and the pitcher and batter information on the left, there are gaps where ratings would be.

I'm also a little surprised there doesn't seem to be more interest in this. Every year there are a number of people who point to "stats only" as a new way to enjoy OOTP.
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs
Old 03-17-2020, 03:45 AM   #7
Roy Tucker
Minors (Triple A)

Here is the issue. Look at the first picture. There is no screen setup button for customization on the main player rating page, rendering half the page useless to stats only players.

The screen setup button only appears when the scouting button is clicked to customize that particular page.

I hope the screen setup button can be put on the main player page with options for different stats to be shown in those windows as well as scouting reports.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by Roy Tucker; 03-17-2020 at 03:46 AM.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:09 AM   #8
itsmb8
All Star Starter

Personally im going to play stats only but im going to go the way of only having stats influence player ratings and only using potential grades.

Real GMs have access to grades from scouts so i dont see why i would limit myself and not utilize something real GMs utilize.
itsmb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 03:40 PM   #9
tomnov
Minors (Double A)

Actually, this sort of suggestion should have been made weeks or even months ago.
It would entail volumes of coding to make a more customizable game play template to be able to implement display of the stats you want displayed during the game, besides what is hard coded into the game sim already.
Besides, I see scads more requests for devs to improve the 3d animation of the game.
I personally can take or leave the animation, as I grew up playing Strat-O-Matic, and even before that, created my own game based on an early game I got a sample of named Be A Manager, simply basing the dice rolls on stats I computed based on what was on the Topps baseball cards or a book published yearly then called Who's Who in baseball. So I would be just fine or even prefer a stats only game sim screen.
I'd suggest that when the forum starts for game suggestions for the next version is established that you post your suggestion there and how you would like it implemented, as all that would be involved in creating it would seriously affect the code in the current version, and won't even be considered until future versions.
tomnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 05:18 PM   #10
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnov View Post
Actually, this sort of suggestion should have been made weeks or even months ago....

I personally can take or leave the animation, as I grew up playing Strat-O-Matic, and even before that, created my own game based on an early game I got a sample of named Be A Manager, simply basing the dice rolls on stats I computed based on what was on the Topps baseball cards or a book published yearly then called Who's Who in baseball. So I would be just fine or even prefer a stats only game sim screen.
I'd suggest that when the forum starts for game suggestions for the next version is established that you post your suggestion there and how you would like it implemented, as all that would be involved in creating it would seriously affect the code in the current version, and won't even be considered until future versions.
Actually, I suggested this at least one version ago. It was in one of the annual threads that pop up pointing out the fun of playing "stats only."

I'm with you on the animation, though I'm more in the "leave it" category. The last version I bought was OOTP 18, and that was mainly for Negro League play and promotion/relegation. I never use ball animation.

But I understand that many people want more animation, and that the company has to continue to improve upon features that most of its customers want. Thank goodness those of us who don't like animation can simply not turn it on. Everyone is happy. Customization is one of the things that makes OOTP baseball the best sports management sim ever, in my opinion.

Last edited by Antonin; 03-19-2020 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-18-2020, 05:41 PM   #11
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

I play modified stats only where I still keep potential visible because it's otherwise harder to play fast.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote