Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 02-14-2020, 11:34 AM   #1
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

The NCAA must die: Reason #25354

NCAA, ACC & 12ish would rather pay lobbyists than let players profit on their own. $1M to influence Congress. Meanwhile, players have nothing to manipulate the government with. Wonder how this will turn out........................
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:00 PM   #2
GeoWar
All Star Reserve

I disagree about College players being paid . They are provided (PAID) enough already. Tuition, housing, food, training facility, healthcare ,entertainment activities, travel , some clothing, and marketing of their skills -- these are provided.

The NCAA provides the "level playing field " for all the colleges and universities ** the guidelines . The colleges and universities join and agree to these guidelines and the NCAA tries to ensure compliance .

The promotion ( marketing ) of the player image is increasing the student's career. That is how they profit .

I am more upset about players being forced to colleges and universities to play a sport . The student that does not want to go to college should have another developmental process - minor leagues in baseball . If the athletes want only to go pro then allow them . Another issue for those wanting to go pro is the salary scales and the issue of being tied to a team ( not of your choice ) for 4-5-6 or more years .

The issue of pay to play below Pro level is a matter of perspective. They are getting an education and development / training of skills. In the past they have tried work study alternatives but the abuse was wide spread. Students/ Athletes just did not show up for work as scheduled. And some of the jobs were watching gym activities .

Texas Longhorns -- NCAA Champion - Baseball 2005

Oregon State Beavers -- NCAA Champion - Baseball 2006 and 2007

With unity comes VICTORY !
GeoWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:34 PM   #3
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

SMH. People keep confusing the topic. They are not lobbying to prevent themselves from paying athletes. They will get paid. That issue has already passed. The colleges are going to allow players to profit from their likeness if the students can. Not one extra dime has to come from the colleges.

The universities are trying to control the money the players make. So they are trying to grease the fingers of Congress in order to make the rules favorable to them while the players have zero access to the process.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 02-14-2020, 04:07 PM   #4
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoWar View Post
I disagree about College players being paid . They are provided (PAID) enough already. Tuition, housing, food, training facility, healthcare ,entertainment activities, travel , some clothing, and marketing of their skills -- these are provided.

Maybe that's what coaches should be paid with too then. Free dorm and classes and marketing of their skills to pro teams
ezpkns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:52 PM   #5
GeoWar
All Star Reserve

I have put myself -- and my two kids -- and now trying to help with 2 grand children through school.
SO the tuition, books, food and housing at a State college / university adds up to $40,000 a year ..... and the other benefits just add in for scholarship student-athletes.

As for being paid . I feel that a monthly ( or semester ) stipend could be added for qualifying expenses. But no pay.

The hard part is the phase " paid for use of likeness" -- You can not use NCAA or member institution logos or identification without their consent. That is the catch. And the athlete can not receive restricted compensation . So every dollar " paid for use of likeness" would be looked at to see if it came from a booster (??? ) .

Texas Longhorns -- NCAA Champion - Baseball 2005

Oregon State Beavers -- NCAA Champion - Baseball 2006 and 2007

With unity comes VICTORY !

Last edited by GeoWar; 02-14-2020 at 08:53 PM. Reason: expand clearness
GeoWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:27 PM   #6
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoWar View Post
I have put myself -- and my two kids -- and now trying to help with 2 grand children through school.
SO the tuition, books, food and housing at a State college / university adds up to $40,000 a year ..... and the other benefits just add in for scholarship student-athletes.

As for being paid . I feel that a monthly ( or semester ) stipend could be added for qualifying expenses. But no pay.

The hard part is the phase " paid for use of likeness" -- You can not use NCAA or member institution logos or identification without their consent. That is the catch. And the athlete can not receive restricted compensation . So every dollar " paid for use of likeness" would be looked at to see if it came from a booster (??? ) .
Shouldn't matter who it comes from as long as it isn't a gangster or gambler.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance