Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:43 AM   #1
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Re-import name & ethnicity database not working for me

I can't seem to add new ethnic groups and name sets to the game. I get nothing but a blank box in the nation editor next to Ethnicity/Language/Name Origin after re-importing the appropriate files. I've gone over the syntax with a fine tooth comb to make sure it is correct, and everything appears to look in order.

Strange thing is, I was able to get this to work last week when I created a new test league. I even posted the results here. However, for the life of me, I can't get the re-imported data to show up in the real world league I created. Is this just a problem with leagues created under the "Create Real World League" option, or something else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:06 PM   #2
Carnat
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Two things that I'm thinking of.

First, you say that you added ethnic groups; remember that OOTP only uses up to 39 ethnicities, meaning that if you add a 40th one, it will not be taken into consideration (basically, you have to modify one of the existing ethnicities instead of adding a new one).

The other thing is that when you set up a new league and choose a region for it, you will only be able to select nations from inside that region. This is editable at the end of the world.xml file.

I'm really not the most knowledgable person here and while you wait a more complete answer from someone else, it could be something to look at.
Carnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:09 PM   #3
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnat View Post

First, you say that you added ethnic groups; remember that OOTP only uses up to 39 ethnicities, meaning that if you add a 40th one, it will not be taken into consideration (basically, you have to modify one of the existing ethnicities instead of adding a new one).

This was changed in OOTP19
Rosco Peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:09 PM   #4
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

Same thing is happening to me Caporegime
Old 03-29-2018, 02:32 PM   #5
Carnat
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco Peabody View Post
This was changed in OOTP19
Must have made a mistake when I tried it earlier then! Good to know, thanks!
Carnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:07 PM   #6
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Same thing is happening to me Caporegime
Sorry to hear that. Odd thing is, the same edited name files & world_default work perfectly fine with both fictional and historical leagues I've tested, so I know the syntax is fine.

For whatever reason, the re-import name/ethnicities/ world database feature simply doesn't appear to be working with new standard or custom leagues in which the actual MLB is used.

I hope we get a response on this. After finally possessing the ability to add as many name sets & ethnicities to the game as we want, it would be a bummer if there was a blind spot in the game's re-import feature that will prevent us from fully enjoying it.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:46 AM   #7
DB930
Major Leagues

To be honest, I'm not sure the re-import function has ever worked correctly. I remember trying to use it a couple of times a few years ago, and while it did seem to accept my edited lists and begin pulling names from those, it was also clearly still taking names from the previous lists, as well, and was also still creating players based on the old ethnicity file.

Nowadays, if I make major changes to those (or the world_default file) I just create a new league and start over completely. Only way to be sure that the changes have taken cleanly.
DB930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 11:11 AM   #8
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB930 View Post
To be honest, I'm not sure the re-import function has ever worked correctly. I remember trying to use it a couple of times a few years ago, and while it did seem to accept my edited lists and begin pulling names from those, it was also clearly still taking names from the previous lists, as well, and was also still creating players based on the old ethnicity file.

Nowadays, if I make major changes to those (or the world_default file) I just create a new league and start over completely. Only way to be sure that the changes have taken cleanly.
The thing is, this feature does work with fictional and historical leagues. The only setup in which it appears to be non-functional is with a new standard or custom league that includes the current MLB.

With the changes that have been made to the way the game handles name/ethnicities this needs to be be fixed. After all, what's the point of having the ability to add an infinite number of name sets and ethnicities to the game if the game can't actually see or use them?

I'm still holding out hope that I'm overlooking something on my end that's preventing the re-import function from doing what it's supposed to do under these circumstances. Hopefully someone in the know will take the time to confirm if this is indeed a blind spot in the re-import feature.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:40 PM   #9
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Correction: The re-import feature isn't working for historical leagues either. I just conducted a test in which I tried to remove several ethnicities from the world_default & names files, re-imported the files, and it didn't work.

I know for a fact that the re-import names/ethnicities feature worked in historical sims in previous versions because I was always able to successfully re-import Questdog's files each decade and see the changes.

Last edited by Caporegime; 03-30-2018 at 12:42 PM.
Caporegime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 01:16 PM   #10
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

It didn't work for my fictional league either....before the update erased my world file
Old 03-30-2018, 01:38 PM   #11
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
It didn't work for my fictional league either....before the update erased my world file
Sounds like the re-import names/world_default feature is totally effed. Until this is fixed, I can't run any historical sims, which is usually my preferred mode of play. I don't want to start a game 1901 with era-appropriate name files only to be stuck using them as game progresses to 2018 simply because I can't swap them out. That would completely kill any the immersion for me.

This is an enormous bummer.

Last edited by Caporegime; 03-30-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Caporegime is offline   Reply With Quote