Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 06-21-2008, 07:54 AM   #41
Highlander
All Star Reserve

I've been a customer since the original OOTP back in the 90's......I go in stages as far as posting. I have had a few stretches where I have posted quite a bit and then went about 1.5 years without posting at all--with the release of this one (I haven't played much since 6.5), I think I will be back a lot more!
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:54 AM   #42
Rahhja
Minors (Single A)

As you can see, I've been around for quite some time and have only 20+ posts but have faithfully bought every release of OOTP since I registered. I like reading but find it daunting chiming in when there are many much more intelligent posters then myself

Rahj
Rahhja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:59 AM   #43
biggamejrs
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
I do find this cool when some guy with 30 posts since 2003 pops up to comment on the game. I guess I'm not as introverted as I thought.
like me? ;} i really should post more!
Old 06-21-2008, 09:24 AM   #44
hotch49
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kq76 View Post
Reading these links should help tremendously:
ESPN.com: MLB - Transactions Primer
Major League Baseball transactions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Searching the ootp manuals for keywords should help for how OOTP deals with this stuff as sometimes its not always the same as in real life:
OOTP Baseball Manual - OOTP 9
http://www.ootpdevfiles.com/ootp/ootpb2007_manual.pdf

If you have anymore questions on that stuff, start a thread asking about them and I'm sure you'll receive plenty of more detail in no time!
Thanks a lot mate, these have been bookmarked and will be referenced regularly!
Only thing now is to wonder why on earth they made it so complicated!!!!!!!
Then again, over here we have a ruling called the 'Bosman', which has ruined lower league football (to compare - minor leagues i suppose). Interfering European Union!
hotch49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:07 AM   #45
bp_
Hall Of Famer

good thread...interesting to hear from some of the lurkers and to see where the new OOTP users are coming from
Old 06-21-2008, 10:20 AM   #46
Erik W.
Global Moderator

I've been playing since the .400 Studios days (v3 or 4) but didn't even bother to register for the message board until 2003. I don't even know why I ended up doing so.

I'll bet there are a lot of people who are like I was at the time, just playing the game without caring so much about posting about it.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:35 AM   #47
bbastyr
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks for the help!! I love this forum already.
bbastyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:06 AM   #48
OldFatGuy
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Blast View Post
I dunno if the country can afford to have 15% of it's population on here all the time...
Well, tell Rongar we're thinking of him.
OldFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:10 AM   #49
mattshwink
Minors (Single A)

I forgot about that

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasnell View Post
You always have two licenses. You can unlicense from the old laptop when you get the new one and it won't count against you.
I forgot about the unlicensing....never done it with OOTP before. It is also possible I use VM workstation to create several instances and need the extra licenses anyway. But thanks for the reminder!

Matt
mattshwink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:52 PM   #50
jamescfs
Bat Boy

I have been lurking here a a few weeks and this is my first post. I am also an OOTP first timer, but was aware of this game for a while. I never really thought much about getting into it because I never really was exposed to texted based games, and never thought I could get into one. My love of baseball has taken me through various games, such as FPSBB, High Heat, and MVP. I was never all that great at arcade-style games, and always had to to turn the difficulty factor down very low. But the whole management aspect intrigued me, but practically all of these arcade style games were sorely lacking in that area.

Fast forward to the present, and I have switched from Windows to Mac, and was suffering from baseball withdrawal, and so I pre-ordered OOTP9 (I figure if I didn't like it, it wouldn't be a huge loss with the low price). Well, I have to say, I am totally engrossed in this game! I m playing strictly as a GM, and still kind of fumbling around through it, getting more familiar with it. Once the patches are released, I'll probably restart my game. But for now, I'm just playing through a season just to get a hang of it, like my own "spring training" before the patches are out, and then the real playing begins. Although I almost hate to restart my season, since my Blue Jays are currently 1st in the wildcard (unlike in last place in real life)!
jamescfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:34 PM   #51
Giants44
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bears5122 View Post
I think a lot of people are interested in the MLB style roster set. Remember the last few versions were not built for those who want to play a realistic MLB league. The game lost a lot of customers during that time, some are just coming back.

I think you are probably right that was the perception, however I have never found that to be the reality. I have played 100+ leagues in my OOTP career across all versions and not once have a played anything that wasn't MLB based.

The community has always stepped up with some fantastic rosters (some year much quicker than others) Even with rosters now built in I would imagine community rosters will still be available and in a lot of cases superior to what is available in game.

The reason for that is even with the real player names, the game is limited in what it can provide out of the box in terms of logos, unis, ballparks, managers, coaches, etc.

I have said this many times and it is becasue I believe it is so core to OOTP - the community and the mods available are half of what makes OOTP so great.

"Judge a man not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character"
-Martin Luther King

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
-Einstein

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."
-Muhammad Ali

"Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything."
-Toby Harrah
Giants44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:47 PM   #52
wbonnell
Minors (Single A)

I'm probably like a lot of OOTP faithful: been around since the beginning but don't post much. I do visit the forums at least once a week, though, just to see what's new/interesting.
wbonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:56 PM   #53
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotch49 View Post
Only thing now is to wonder why on earth they made it so complicated!!!!!!!

Lawsuits, the threat of lawsuits, and an antitrust exemption from the US Supreme Court.

Lawyers are the same everywhere.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:35 PM   #54
Wildcat31
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Way Back Member,

I've been an of OOTP baseball for so long, it ain't even funny. I've had 3 boys grow up to be men and each are members of our armed forces around the world. And each of them are owners of each verison. I don't post on the forums much, because quite frankly never had much reason to. Besides the usual bugs/glitches & inaccurare instances that happen, I find forums members really whine too much about this great game. I had this game installed on many verions of PC's and laptops and hardly ever once had a "problem" with it. I find people fail to realize that this is just a "SIM" game and they want everything to be like real life. IMPORTANT BULLENTIN HERE...It ain't ! But you have got to agree it's the absolutely best game anywhere on earth. Not just best sports game....BEST GAME....PERIOD. Most of the ones that complain are also the same ones that edit there teams to create the powerful dynasty and win every year....Wow !!! How realistic is that? Just enjoy this fabulous game for what it is...a game. And no I'm not a fanboy, since I only have posted what..10-11 times. And you guys have got to admit that a $24.99 hooker ain't this much fun either...LOL

WILDCAT31
Wildcat31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 04:30 PM   #55
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODB72 View Post
As a lurker for 4 years I want to give a shot out to Le Grande Orange. There are a ton of great posters on this forum but he always has really insightful info and very knowledgeable posts.
Thanks for the kind words.

But it reminds me that, clearly, I need to redouble my efforts in posting nonsensical filler material. I've obviously been letting that task slide of late...
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 04:56 PM   #56
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattshwink View Post
I am going to buy a new laptop in the next month (HP announced 17 new laptops, going to get one of the new 17" models).
Unless you're getting an HP employee discount, get a Toshiba laptop instead.

They are much superior.

Which Computer Product is Better? - Toshiba Laptops Vs. Hewlett-Packard Laptops - Associated Content
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 05:03 PM   #57
Erik W.
Global Moderator

I'll never buy another HP computer. We bought one for my wife, and even leaving out the fact that the PSU died after just over a year, the installed software is nothing but trouble. I hate that thing so much.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:39 PM   #58
Bears5122
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants44 View Post
I think you are probably right that was the perception, however I have never found that to be the reality. I have played 100+ leagues in my OOTP career across all versions and not once have a played anything that wasn't MLB based.

The community has always stepped up with some fantastic rosters (some year much quicker than others) Even with rosters now built in I would imagine community rosters will still be available and in a lot of cases superior to what is available in game.

The reason for that is even with the real player names, the game is limited in what it can provide out of the box in terms of logos, unis, ballparks, managers, coaches, etc.

I have said this many times and it is becasue I believe it is so core to OOTP - the community and the mods available are half of what makes OOTP so great.
I'm not denying there are a lot of people who are like you and into the fictional leagues. But it's hard to deny a huge chunk of the old OOTP players were MLB oriented. Compared to what the community was like back in v.6, this place is sort of slow. I know of a bunch of people from the old OOTP days that have more or less given up on the game as it doesn't cater to those who like real MLB simulations.

Kind of reminds me of All-Pro Football put out by 2K. While it was a great game, most people still wanted the real players in Madden.
Bears5122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:22 PM   #59
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bears5122 View Post
I know of a bunch of people from the old OOTP days that have more or less given up on the game as it doesn't cater to those who like real MLB simulations.
Tell those people to come back. Historical MLB gaming has been heavily enhanced and it rocks the house now.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:31 PM   #60
Officespace99
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
I do find this cool when some guy with 30 posts since 2003 pops up to comment on the game. I guess I'm not as introverted as I thought.
what...like me
NOBL - Commish (2006 - present)
TTWB - Farmingdale Frunkus (2011 - present)

My OOTP graveyard:
LLM - Yucatan Leones (2012 - folded)
CPL - Detroit Tigers (2011 - folded)
FHBL -Cincinnati Reds (2006 - folded)
Maverick Baseball - Boston Red Sox (2005 - folded)
BPLA - Portland (2004: folded)
Officespace99 is offline   Reply With Quote