Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 06-20-2008, 06:11 PM   #21
mattshwink
Minors (Single A)

Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants44 View Post
In my experience there is little difference.

In the past year I have run OOTP on these 3 different machines

1. Laptop - single core - 1.5 gig RAM
2. Desktop - single core - 4 gigs of RAM
3. Desktop - dual core - 4 gigs of RAM

Both Desktops run it very fast and much faster than the laptop. But the dual core desktop and the single core show little difference. I believe the RAM is the biggest factor.

I also remember reading once Markus posting something about not being able to use both cores.
Good to know. The laptop will be dual core, with 4GB of RAM and most likely Vista Home Premium 64. The other difference (besides RAM) in your desktops is probably the HD. Most run at 7200RPM, but laptops run at 5400RPM (or lower), and usually have smaller caches and such.

Matt
mattshwink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:38 PM   #22
gohorns98
Minors (Double A)

I am also one of those owners who does not post much, but has been around since OOTP3. If you look at the forum's stats there are 21,879 member, but only 2,680 active members. I for one come by on a very regular basis to see what is going on, but rarely post a comment because there are so many more informed members then myself who usually have replied before I can get to. I love that I have seen so many knowledgable people come into the forum and express there opinions about the game. Each version seems to have picked up a few more Raidergoo's, LGO's and Battist's (and the many others).
gohorns98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:45 PM   #23
Velocity3107
Bat Boy

I have been a long time mogul player, dating back 5-6 years or so. However I recently became disappointed with the lack of realism that Mogul provided. Sure the simming stats and all of that was accurate and fun, but I'm a true sim kind of guy. The 6 round draft, lack of Rule 5, waivers, etc. all bothered me. Mogul was a fun game, but it was too simple.

I have also played East Side Hockey Manager and Football Manager and am aware that the OOTP series has many similarities to these games in the way that they are set up.

After seeing that OOTP finally got its ML license, I decided to give it a try. I have been extremely thrilled with the depth of this game so far and have been having fun with Foz's old college template until a newer roster hits the streets.
Velocity3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:47 PM   #24
Arctic Blast
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I picked up BM last year, and it was a fun game, but I decided to try something with more depth...especially when I saw the sale price for pre-ordering. Haven't had much time to play, really (stupid employment!), but this weekend, I'll be taking OOTP out for a good test drive.
Arctic Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:49 PM   #25
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity3107 View Post
After seeing that OOTP finally got its ML license...
Technically, OOTP does not have either the MLB or MLBPA license. The reason the game can use real player names and stats is due to the outcome of the court case between MLB and CBC.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:52 PM   #26
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRON2.0 View Post
Yeah, I'm a first time OOTP buyer. I was previously a BM player for the last 3 versions of that franchise. I love Mogul, and may even continue to buy it as well, but I longed for a deeper franchise mode (Waivers, Options, Rule 5 draft, DFA, 60 day DL, etc.). I found a review for OOTP and noticed it was consistently rated higher in reviews then Mogul, and upon further review, i found it was everything I was looking for. I played the OOTP 8 demo, loved it and preorded 9 the next day! my timing was perfect, i only had to wait a week for the release
Nice to see you TRON2.0. When can you start making mods?
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:57 PM   #27
OldFatGuy
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Blast View Post
I picked up BM last year, and it was a fun game, but I decided to try something with more depth...especially when I saw the sale price for pre-ordering. Haven't had much time to play, really (stupid employment!), but this weekend, I'll be taking OOTP out for a good test drive.
Nice to see ya AB, bringing your other half of the Canadian contingent with ya??

Last edited by OldFatGuy; 06-20-2008 at 07:01 PM.
OldFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:58 PM   #28
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohorns98 View Post
Each version seems to have picked up a few more Raidergoo's, LGO's and Battist's (and the many others).
Injury Log and redsoxford and Sitting Duck and ...

They keep coming. Fortunately, we stand on the shoulders of giants.

Draft Dodger, Scott Vibert...
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:38 PM   #29
bbastyr
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Played

Last edited by bbastyr; 09-05-2020 at 12:14 AM.
bbastyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:03 PM   #30
TeediuS
Bat Boy

another mainly regular lurker, can usually find answers to what i'm not sure about that i don't need to create a new post. came onboard around SI merger, from football manager - and now tend to play more ootp (even although i hardly know anything about baseball). love numbers, and stats, and so I like this type of game, so it serves well and something that can easily be done on a laptop while watching tele with the kids jumping around.
TeediuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:46 PM   #31
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbastyr View Post
Played an older version and bought the new one to supplement my DMB solo replays. I'm enjoying the GM aspects, but I will say that the in-game aspect still aren't quite up to DMB. Unless I'm missing something, I can't pull in the corners or in-field, or guard the lines when managing.
Attached Images
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:30 AM   #32
Boom Boom
Major Leagues

If you also look at my forum stats, I joined Sports Mogul in June of 2002, and only posted about 300 post in my first 2 years there...and was stuck with OOTP3, 4 and 5. I heavly played OOTP during this time. OOTP back than was a crawl, but still fun ...

I have only posted around 100 post in 6 years here on the forums. I do check in but infrequently.

Around April of 2004, I joined Baseball Mogul Online, since than, I kind of stopped playing OOTP, and became one of the biggest supporters of Mogul, mostly due to the online play is the best in the genre. (and it still is), BMO doesn't compete against OOTP at all. During this time, I bought OOTP5, 6, and 6.5, and then bought Pure Sim, BM2k5,6,7,8 and then 9,

In December I bought OOTP8 and wasn't impressed, I have no idea why. It was still very slow...then I preordered OOTP9.

I was hooked right away with OOTP9
Boom Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:23 AM   #33
ODB72
Minors (Single A)

I have purchased every version from OOTP 5 to OOTP 9. Just like to mention, despite the prevailing sentiment around here I enjoyed OOTP 2006 at the time.

As a lurker for 4 years I want to give a shot out to Le Grande Orange. There are a ton of great posters on this forum but he always has really insightful info and very knowledgeable posts.
ODB72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:02 AM   #34
Bears5122
All Star Reserve

I think a lot of people are interested in the MLB style roster set. Remember the last few versions were not built for those who want to play a realistic MLB league. The game lost a lot of customers during that time, some are just coming back.
Bears5122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:10 AM   #35
Ceej
Minors (Double A)

First-time OOTP purchaser here, #9 is where I've come aboard. I jumped ship from Diamond Mind, or I guess I should more accurately say that I felt like I had to swim over here after learning the DMB ship was being scuttled for parts...
Ceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:50 AM   #36
Arctic Blast
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
Nice to see ya AB, bringing your other half of the Canadian contingent with ya??
I dunno if the country can afford to have 15% of it's population on here all the time...
Arctic Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:53 AM   #37
kq76
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Blast View Post
I dunno if the country can afford to have 15% of it's population on here all the time...
LOL! There sure are a lot of us Canadian OOTP fans. Great name by the way.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 04:09 AM   #38
hotch49
Bat Boy

Been a baseball fan since 2000 when i crossed the Atlantic to visit my Uncle and Auntie. My Uncle took me to see the Phillies at the Vet and I have been a Phan ever since.
Got the game for the 1st time this year. I consider my knowledge on baseball to be pretty, pretty good (for you Curb fans!) but am struggling with the contract side of things. What the hell is Rule 5, arbitration etc. Its not as simple as football is over here where you sign a player to 4 years then re-negotiate whenever you want.#

Any help and I would be most grateful!
hotch49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 04:35 AM   #39
kq76
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotch49 View Post
Been a baseball fan since 2000 when i crossed the Atlantic to visit my Uncle and Auntie. My Uncle took me to see the Phillies at the Vet and I have been a Phan ever since.
Got the game for the 1st time this year. I consider my knowledge on baseball to be pretty, pretty good (for you Curb fans!) but am struggling with the contract side of things. What the hell is Rule 5, arbitration etc. Its not as simple as football is over here where you sign a player to 4 years then re-negotiate whenever you want.#

Any help and I would be most grateful!
Reading these links should help tremendously:
ESPN.com: MLB - Transactions Primer
Major League Baseball transactions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Searching the ootp manuals for keywords should help for how OOTP deals with this stuff as sometimes its not always the same as in real life:
OOTP Baseball Manual - OOTP 9
http://www.ootpdevfiles.com/ootp/ootpb2007_manual.pdf

If you have anymore questions on that stuff, start a thread asking about them and I'm sure you'll receive plenty of more detail in no time!
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 05:47 AM   #40
rasnell
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattshwink View Post
...But I may install it this weekend on the old laptop anyway (heck, I can always buy another copy if I run out of licenses!)
Matt
You always have two licenses. You can unlicense from the old laptop when you get the new one and it won't count against you.
Charlie Root won more games for the Cubs than any pitcher (201), yet was remembered for one pitch to Babe Ruth. Find out more about the 1929 World Series in my book, "Root for the Cubs: Charlie Root and the 1929 Chicago Cubs." See the web site at www.rootforthecubs.com. The book is at http://www.amazon.com/Root-Cubs-Char...t+for+the+cubs.

Beta tester, OOTP 2007-2023 and iOOTP 2011-2014.
rasnell is offline   Reply With Quote