Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 04-24-2007, 05:28 PM   #1
Muzamba
Hall Of Famer

Upon Further Review...

A couple weeks ago, battists started a thread asking what one feature we would like to see added in a patch. Of course, I jumped in with about 10 ideas before realizing he really only wanted one. Since then, I've thought about it some more and I've sifted through countless feature requests that others have made.

Coming up with one is nearly impossible for someone like me. But instead of simply picking the item I ranked #1 on my list (editable No Trade Clauses, for the record,) I decided to start a new thread and make 2 general requests. Granted, each of these includes multiple individual requests, but I think they'll have a bigger impact presented this way...

1. BRING BACK ALL THE FEATURES FROM 6.5 (AND BEFORE) THAT WERE LEFT OUT OF 2006/2007. This includes (just off the top of my head) full-text scouting reports, promotion/demotion arrows, milestone watch, leader projections, the out of town scoreboard, exhibition games, and probably about a dozen more I'm not thinking of at the moment. I know bringing back things like sound and the old interface would be way too much to do anything about now, so I'll leave those alone.

2. GIVE US THE ABILITY TO RE-IMPORT ALL THE INFORMATION WE'RE CURRENTLY ABLE TO EXPORT. This would not only allow us to change the NTC and mass-edit ethnicities (2 of my prior requests,) but it would also allow us to more easily edit many other aspects of the game.

I can honestly say that if these 2 issues were addressed, I would happily wait 'til 2008 for any further additions.
Muzamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:20 PM   #2
Solack
All Star Reserve

Wow, that's, uh, a lot. I seriously doubt you'll be seeing all of those things in a patch. You'll probably have to wait until 2008 for a lot of those things. I know I and others have voiced that we want a lot of those things added back in as well, but think they'll have to wait until 2008. Never, know, though, and as always Markus has a few tricks up his sleeves for the patches.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:16 PM   #3
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I'd like to see all of those things, too. In OOTP 2008.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 02:35 AM   #4
Muzamba
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I realize most of these won't be back until next year, at the earliest. I guess my point is that there are so many things that were left out in 06/07 that people have been requesting to be re-added, I'd like to see some of these things brought back before adding new things.

Having said this, #2 is much more urgent to me personally than #1
Old 04-25-2007, 02:45 AM   #5
bababui
Hall Of Famer

Promotion/Religation with soccer style reserve and youth teams/leagues

Ability to have a universe based on the World (rather than a single country) with randomizable cities (perhaps taken from the world DB).

For 2008 bring back the out-of-the-box fictional mirror of MLB teams/rosters. It would also go a long way to stop the whining for current rosters.
bababui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:18 AM   #6
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

I support all of Muzamba's requests and none of Babaui's.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:24 AM   #7
Elendil
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzamba View Post
This includes (just off the top of my head) full-text scouting reports, promotion/demotion arrows, milestone watch, leader projections, the out of town scoreboard, exhibition games, and probably about a dozen more I'm not thinking of at the moment.
Hm, I may be misinterpreting what you mean by some of these, but I think 2007 does have out of town scoreboard (that SION thingy tab) and exhibition games (I distinctly recall creating them in one of my schedules). Promotion/demotion arrows weren't in versions 5 or 6, maybe an earlier version? I thought the full-text scouting reports were kinda funny; they were so obviously based on strict numbers-to-text cues that they got really pointless pretty quickly - IMHO of course. Leader projections - I don't remember that from version 6, but it could be that I just never used it. 2007 does have projected stats, of course. That leaves milestone watch, which would be a nice thing to have in 2007, but I'm not so sure it isn't in there somewhere. I'll have to open up the game when I get home & poke around.

Heaven is kicking back with a double Talisker and a churchwarden stuffed with latakia.
Elendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 03:15 PM   #8
Muzamba
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil View Post
Hm, I may be misinterpreting what you mean by some of these, but I think 2007 does have out of town scoreboard (that SION thingy tab) and exhibition games (I distinctly recall creating them in one of my schedules). Promotion/demotion arrows weren't in versions 5 or 6, maybe an earlier version? I thought the full-text scouting reports were kinda funny; they were so obviously based on strict numbers-to-text cues that they got really pointless pretty quickly - IMHO of course. Leader projections - I don't remember that from version 6, but it could be that I just never used it. 2007 does have projected stats, of course. That leaves milestone watch, which would be a nice thing to have in 2007, but I'm not so sure it isn't in there somewhere. I'll have to open up the game when I get home & poke around.
When I refer to the "Out-of-Town Scoreboard", I'm talking about the rotating scoreboard that used to be located on the in-game screen. There was a thread in which I posted my thoughts on this a few weeks ago. I'll try and find it so I can link to it here.

As for exhibition games, I recall a few people lamenting the fact that there's no longer a simple, easy-to-access way to play a game outside of your universe the way there was in 6.5 and earlier. Not a big deal at all to me, but it would be nice to have it again.

True that arrows haven't been around for a few years, but someone mentioned them recently and I remember them being a useful little tool.

I agree that the full-text reports were obviously based directly on ratings. I even recall tweaking the ratings at times to get the reports to say what I wanted them to say. So are they necessary? Not at all. However, once I got used to what each statement translated to in terms of ratings, they were actually easier to scan through from a purely visual perspective. Plus, they just add a little something to the game, IMO.

About projected leaders and milestone watch, I never really paid too much attention to these. I would personally rather see a "season preview" article at the start of each season that included the projected stat leaderboards than one that constantly-updates throughout the season. And yes, the milestone watch was simply a neat little feature...

But that's the point of all of these. It would just be cool to have them back. Whether you used them or not, few will argue that they were actually annoying or intrusive. And from what I've read, many people had certain features from earlier versions that they just liked for whatever reason. I'm just not a fan of taking things away. Add as much as you want, but please don't remove things, because you never know who's going to miss them.

Again, I realize 2006 was a completely new build and therefore, Markus didn't literally take things out of the game, per se. Nonetheless, I personally feel that every attempt should be made to include as much as possible from previous versions of a game when designing new ones.

Just my opinion
Old 04-25-2007, 10:57 PM   #9
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Nonetheless, I personally feel that every attempt should be made to include as much as possible from previous versions of a game when designing new ones.

Just my opinion
Muzamba, trust me, you aren't even close to being alone in that opinion.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:27 AM   #10
fantom1979
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Nonetheless, I personally feel that every attempt should be made to include as much as possible from previous versions of a game when designing new ones.

Just my opinion
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Muzamba, trust me, you aren't even close to being alone in that opinion.
I am on board on this. As much as I love 2007, there are some things i still miss from v6, or heck even v4.

fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 01:00 PM   #11
Driver 8
Major Leagues

What about random historical player imports to a current season's amateur draft class? I'm sure I am probably missing something, but I can only seem to import them as free agents, and not draft-eligible amateurs.
Driver 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 01:26 AM   #12
Curtis
Hall Of Famer

I'd like to see a 'season preview' in 2008. And how are 'power rankings' determined? Mine are just in alphabetical order until the season starts. I'd rather know how good the computer thinks my team is relative to the others.
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 01:36 AM   #13
Hazza
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababui View Post
Ability to have a universe based on the World (rather than a single country) with randomizable cities (perhaps taken from the world DB).
Have league based on region would be killer.

By that I mean, a Europe league, as above, or on a local level, say "Carolina" or "Texas".

If i'm making my own Texas league I run out of ideas after Huston and El Paso.

Kidding aside, the relegation thing, sounds cool, in a theoretical kind of way.
Hazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:24 AM   #14
ey215
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Promotion/Religation with soccer style reserve and youth teams/leagues

For 2008 bring back the out-of-the-box fictional mirror of MLB teams/rosters. It would also go a long way to stop the whining for current rosters.
I totally agree!

My one suggestion for Relegation/Promotion is to make the AI recognize that it is that type of league and play accordingly. Sure we can sort of do it now but the bottom of the league teams will try and rebuild, therefore likely getting relegated.

I'd add being able to put teams from one league into other competitions in the same universe. i.e. Continental Competitions (UEFA type).

Also customizable international tournaments ala the WBC.
"It is a haunted game in which every player is measured against the ghosts of all who have gone before. Most of all, it is about time and timelessness, speed and grace, failure and loss, imperishable hope - and coming home." Ken Burns, Baseball
ey215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 01:06 PM   #15
spleen1015
Hall Of Famer

I don't think there were the promotion/demotion arrows in OOTP 6.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:24 PM   #16
Zeyes
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Wasn't that only part of the game for v6.5, and that only because the underlying roster set had already been created for v6 and was thus easy to include? In other words, it's not like that roster was custom-made especially for inclusion in the game, so pointing to that instance doesn't really address the question that such an external roster set just wasn't available on the game release date this time, fictional names or not.
Zeyes is offline   Reply With Quote