Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2014, 01:06 PM   #1
RamMan12
Major Leagues

A couple stats-related questions

First, can somebody tell me what the bottom row of stats in the Season Stats page refer to? I've never seen PDO, Cor. On, Cor. Off, etc. in anything related to hockey.

Second, unless the stats above refer to it in some way, would it be possible to get an Avg. Rating stat so we can easily see who is performing or under performing without taking time to study the stats (points and plus/minus are not the best indicators of performance)?
RamMan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:13 PM   #2
Torgonius
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamMan12 View Post
First, can somebody tell me what the bottom row of stats in the Season Stats page refer to? I've never seen PDO, Cor. On, Cor. Off, etc. in anything related to hockey.

Second, unless the stats above refer to it in some way, would it be possible to get an Avg. Rating stat so we can easily see who is performing or under performing without taking time to study the stats (points and plus/minus are not the best indicators of performance)?
PDO
The creator of PDO is Vic Ferrari, a prominent hockey blogger and statistical analyst. He defined PDO as the the sum of a team's even strength shooting percentage and even strength save percentage (this analysis is easily applied to players as well). The idea is that if a team or player has a high PDO, it's going to come down in the future; if it's a low PDO, you can expect an increase in performance.

Corsi
A statistic originally invented by Jim Corsi, who was the goaltender coach for the Buffalo Sabres. Corsi is essentially a plus-minus statistic that measures shot attempts. A player receives a plus for any shot attempt (on net, missed, or blocked) that his team directs at the opponent's net, and a minus for any shot attempt against his own net. A proxy for possession.

Corsi On is the team's performance with the player on the ice. Corsi Off is the team's performance with that player off the ice.

An average Corsi is 0. That means the team is getting as many shot attempts for and against. Positive numbers are good in Corsi For. Negative numbers are bad. The farther from zero you get, the bigger the difference.

Corsi Relative (also called Corsi Rel) – A way to compare players that neutralizes team effects, Corsi Rel is a player’s Corsi when they are on the ice versus when they are off. If a player has a Corsi/60 of 5.0 (meaning the team directs 5 more shots towards the opposing net than they surrender when the player is on the ice) but a Corsi/60 of 6.0 when the player is sitting on the bench, the player’s Corsi Rel is -1.0. Corsi Rel is always per 60 minutes of ice time.

One thing I'd love for the OOTP team to add, is a Skater Stats 4 drop down, which puts the Corsi numbers for all the players in the chart like the other 3 stat sets.

Here are a few links that can give you a deeper dive into advanced stats:
Introduction to Advanced Stats - Lighthouse Hockey
Intro to Advanced Stats - Ottawa Silver Seven
Understanding Advanced Stats - Arctic Ice Hockey
Hockey Analysis.com - tracking actual NHL data this year
Extraskater.com - also trackign advanced stats

Last edited by Torgonius; 01-19-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Torgonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:16 PM   #3
Alessandro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torognius View Post
PDO
The creator of PDO is Vic Ferrari, a prominent hockey blogger and statistical analyst. He defined PDO as the the sum of a team's even strength shooting percentage and even strength save percentage (this analysis is easily applied to players as well). The idea is that if a team or player has a high PDO, it's going to come down in the future; if it's a low PDO, you can expect an increase in performance.
So, alright, if a team wins some games in a row, one day they'll lose. If they lose some games in a row, one day they'll win. Did we need Vic Ferrari to state this?
Alessandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:32 PM   #4
Torgonius
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
So, alright, if a team wins some games in a row, one day they'll lose. If they lose some games in a row, one day they'll win. Did we need Vic Ferrari to state this?
If your team is winning games and has a high PDO, the wins are more luck than good play.

If your team is winning games with low PDO, you're getting unlucky and still winning, which is always a good sign.

If your PDO is around 1.000, then your wins and losses are more a matter of possession than luck.

Case in point - Toronto Maple Leafs - They had an insane PDO in 2013, and horrible possession numbers: The Leafs posted the worst CF percentage (44.1 percent) and FF percentage (44.0 percent) during five-on-five play this past season.

In fact, the Leafs were in the bottom six in the league in CF percentage in almost every other situation including power play (25th), penalty kill (26th), five-on-five in close games (29th), five-on-five when leading (28th) and five-on-five when trailing (25th).

Why possesion matters:

Chris Boyle of Habs Eyes on the Prize charted every team's fenwick close since 2007-2008. The rings of the graph represent each round of the Stanley Cup playoffs. The further the logo is away from the ring represents the distance from a playoff berth. He also charted the percentage from .400 to .600. The further away from the .400 represents a stronger possession team. The ultimate on this index would be the 2008 Red Wings with a score of 59.39 located on the top portion of the Stanley Cup in the +.550 section. The 2008 Thrashers scrape the bottom of this index with a 41.23 and 28th position during the same season.
Torgonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:50 PM   #5
RamMan12
Major Leagues

After taking a glance at this, I feel like it would make more sense to have these stats in a team stats area. I'd like to see an advanced stat that directly relates to the quality of the player.

Team stats is the stat genre that is quite lacking in the game. You can't even find a team's power play percentage or penalty kill percentage unless you check the boxscores of every game.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:31 AM   #6
RamMan12
Major Leagues

When it comes to OOTP and FM I use many of the advanced stats to evaluate the quality of a player, such as VORP/ERA+. After work I'm gonna take a look at the non-Corsi/Fenwick stats and see which ones are more like the Avg. Rating stat I like.

When I actually watch the Bruins play I can see who is performing well or not based on their role(s) on the team without any trouble. However, when you are simming the game or playing out games in the OOTP/FHM manner, it is necessary to have something beyond basic stats to see how a player is in fact performing. (If a player scores 20 ENGs in a season, it doesn't mean he's good, it just means he knows how to shoot a puck into an area with nobody guarding it.)
Old 01-20-2014, 06:03 PM   #7
RamMan12
Major Leagues

After taking a look at the links provided above, I gathered a list of stats that I feel would be the best to have in the game for players only. Now, obviously, I'm adding obvious ones already in the game (like goals) but this is also not saying certain stats are not important (Corsi and Fenwick), just saying that I personally would utilize these.

Primary Stats: Games Played, Goals, Assists, Points, Shots, Plus/Minus, Shots Blocked, Hits
Secondary Stats: Primary Assists, Secondary Assists, Faceoff Percentage, Hits Plus/Minus, Primary Points, Penalties Taken, Penalties Drawn, Penalties Plus/Minus, Time On Ice
Tertiary Stats: PPTOI, PPTm%, SHTm%, FSh%, HARO, HARD, HART, WOWY, AYNAY

Meanings

PPTOI Power play time on ice, minutes PPTm% Percentage of team's power play ice time that player is on ice for SHTOI Shorthanded time on ice, minutes SHTm% Percentage of team's shorthanded ice time that player is on ice for FSh% Fenwick shooting percentage: Sh% including missed shots HARO – Hockey Analysis Rating Offense HARD – Hockey Analysis Rating Defense HART – Hockey Analysis Rating Total WOWY With or Without You AYNAY Against You or Not Against You
Old 01-23-2014, 08:40 AM   #8
RamMan12
Major Leagues

I will bump this in hopes of Sebastian's or Jeff's thoughts on the matter.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:32 AM   #9
bubbas
Bat Boy

Also don't forget the team stats page which lacks some very basic information that is very very important in hockey: number of power plays, PP%, number of penalty kills & PK%.
bubbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:56 AM   #10
RamMan12
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamMan12 View Post
Team stats is the stat genre that is quite lacking in the game. You can't even find a team's power play percentage or penalty kill percentage unless you check the boxscores of every game.
I definitely did not forget about team stats. However, my main focus in this thread is player stats.