Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support

Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support Do you have a copy of OOTP Baseball 2006? Are you in need of help and assistance in running the game or do you have errors that you need help in resolving? This is your place!

Old 08-12-2004, 09:37 AM   #1
mad0die
All Star Reserve

Waiver Trades DO NOT WORK

I know this has been reported before, but I've yet to see an OOTP employee response.

My online league, FIBB enacted waivers with the advent of OOTP6. We do not use the waivers system in-game as we do all of our waiving and claiming on the messageboard. I do however need to be able to process waivers within OOTP6. Pre-trade deadline I can do this by turning off 40-man rosters to let demotions go through and use the regular trade mechanism to move players to teams that have claimed them on the board. That is not ideal, but it works fine considering how waiver time just does not work in an online league.

So, last night was the first sim after the trade deadline and I now needed to use the waiver trade mechanism to move claimed players around. I had 3 waivers trades that were agreed to on the mesasgeboard. I went in to the OOTP Trade screen and entered all 3 trades. I got that message after each one saying 'all players had to clear waivers for the trade to go through' yadda, yadda, yadda. This was not going to be a problem b/c we don't actually make claims within OOTP6. Anyway, the waiver time was set to 1 day. I simmed 1 day and went to see if the waiver trades worked. One player moved. The player he was traded for also cleared, but had not moved so half that trade worked. The other two trades showed every player involved as cleared, but none of them moved to their new team. I reposted all the trades 3 times, simmed a day each time and got the same results - no player movement. What the hell?

This is obviously not working as intended. Me and my league are very frustrated that we now have to cancel waivers b/c I can not post a trade after the 7/31 trade deadline. If you have no plans of fixing waiver trades to make them consistent and reliable, why can you not give Commishes the ability to process a trade whenever they want!

Last edited by mad0die; 08-12-2004 at 09:39 AM.
mad0die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 09:46 AM   #2
jnshmoo
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad0die
If you have no plans of fixing waiver trades to make them consistent and reliable, why can you not give Commishes the ability to process a trade whenever they want!
When was it stated that there were no plans of fixing this?

jnshmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 09:48 AM   #3
mad0die
All Star Reserve

I said If. Given that others have posted this problem and it has not been addressed by OOTP leads me to my pessism.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:51 AM   #4
Cooker
All Star Reserve

I think he's just hoping that Steve, Henry or Markus will post that it's a "known issue."
Cooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 09:53 AM   #5
mad0die
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooker
I think he's just hoping that Steve, Henry or Markus will post that it's a "known issue."
That would be a step in the right direction...
Old 08-12-2004, 09:54 AM   #6
jnshmoo
All Star Starter

I have also seen the other threads, I'd be willing to bet that it IS a "known issue", but we'll see when Henry or Steve get in here.

Old 08-12-2004, 09:57 AM   #7
Cooker
All Star Reserve

Quote:
That would be a step in the right direction...
And the next step would be if Markus could fix it!
Cooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 10:02 AM   #8
mad0die
All Star Reserve

I never really understood why the trade deadline was hard-coded for 7/31. I do not necessarily need Waiver Trades to work (altho I'm sure many of you solo players would like that), I just need to be able to process a trade after 7/31. Seems like it would not be hard to allow that option if you are logged in with the commish password...
Old 08-12-2004, 10:44 AM   #9
Henry
Hall of Fame

First, I'm not an employee so take my comments with a grain of salt.

It is a known issue, I've seen the inconsistency myself, but I have no idea what Markus' plans are in terms of a fix. Steve might.
Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 10:50 AM   #10
Another Mike D
All Star Reserve

For the record, the reason why I don't believe it will be fixed is because this problem was posted very shortly after the game came out (before the patches) and it hasn't even received an acknowledgement as an issue from the developer. Furthermore, I think somebody even said that waiver claims can't even be exported and probably wasn't even tested. I think the whole online portion of this game was glossed over in testing and has yet to be acknowledged (just my opinion, I know how hard it is to beta test...but I figured some beta tester should've said "this can't be done easily in an online league"). With the main patching apparently done and an update planned for "hopefully World Series time" as Markus stated, I have little faith. It is sad that the game was released so close to moving to a new company and that the head of that new company does not wish for too much time to be spent on v6 (rightfully so because he doesn't see any $$ from it).

As a fix, I just edit the players contracts down, cut them, sign them to their new repsective teams and edit their deals back to normal. Also edit the history if you want this recorded. It's a mofo, but apparently the only way it can be done.

Co-commissioner of United Baseball League
Another Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 10:57 AM   #11
mad0die
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Mike D
As a fix, I just edit the players contracts down, cut them, sign them to their new repsective teams and edit their deals back to normal. Also edit the history if you want this recorded. It's a mofo, but apparently the only way it can be done.
Yeppers. I do not consider this a reasonable work-around.

Thanks for the reply, Henry. Hopefully someone who codes OOTP will take notice, eventually....
Old 08-12-2004, 11:20 AM   #12
Steve Kuffrey
Administrator

Yes it is KNOWN, however I currently do not know what the status is.
Baseball Maelstrom-Montreal Expos-2013 Tourney winner, 2014 WC Team
Sparky's League - Tampa Bay D'Rays
Epicenter Baseball League - Astros 2014
The CBL Rewind - Phillies '95
Steve Kuffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 11:56 AM   #13
A.J. Holz
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Yeppers. I do not consider this a reasonable work-around.
Me neither. Ugh. And the NABA was just getting ready to try all this waiver stuff this season.
JOBL - Grand Forks Varmints (former owner)
FIBB - Chicago Fire
TMBU - Tulsa Tomcats (former owner)
ACL - Oakland A's (former owner)
ACB - Rockville Superbas
A.J. Holz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 12:00 PM   #14
ImpossibleDream
Bat Boy

Quote:
I never really understood why the trade deadline was hard-coded for 7/31. I do not necessarily need Waiver Trades to work (altho I'm sure many of you solo players would like that), I just need to be able to process a trade after 7/31. Seems like it would not be hard to allow that option if you are logged in with the commish password...
Here's the real workaround I want.

Or a switch in league setup that turns off whatever trade deadline check there is in the code.

We'll be dealing with this in the MBBA very shortly. Doesn't look promising.
Former Owner, FIBB - Amsterdam Anarchy, inaugural champs!
ImpossibleDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 12:03 PM   #15
jnshmoo
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Mike D
It is sad that the game was released so close to moving to a new company and that the head of that new company does not wish for too much time to be spent on v6 (rightfully so because he doesn't see any $$ from it).
I do not recall this ever being said by anyone other than community members who were upset with Markus' move to SI. Markus has obviously spent plenty of time working on patches, and yet there are no threads praising the fixes that have been made.

Just because something that you really want fixed hasn't been fixed yet does not mean he is ignoring it. It could be an especially difficult bug. It could also be that he is getting such intense pressure from the community who are complaining about H2H, that he had to put other items on the back burner. He is the programmer and he is the one that has to prioritize what he works on.

It is in SI's best interest to allow him to continue to support this version. If he just dropped it altogether, that really wouldn't help to sell the new game when it is released. Since Markus essentially has to recode most, if not all, of the new game from the ground up, it's natural that he's going to spend the lion's share of his time working on it.

Old 08-12-2004, 12:12 PM   #16
phenom
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnshmoo
Markus has obviously spent plenty of time working on patches, and yet there are no threads praising the fixes that have been made.

jnshmoo - do you ever call your phone company just to say "good job."?

didn't think so.

phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 12:37 PM   #17
Another Mike D
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnshmoo
I do not recall this ever being said by anyone other than community members who were upset with Markus' move to SI. Markus has obviously spent plenty of time working on patches, and yet there are no threads praising the fixes that have been made.

Just because something that you really want fixed hasn't been fixed yet does not mean he is ignoring it. It could be an especially difficult bug. It could also be that he is getting such intense pressure from the community who are complaining about H2H, that he had to put other items on the back burner. He is the programmer and he is the one that has to prioritize what he works on.

It is in SI's best interest to allow him to continue to support this version. If he just dropped it altogether, that really wouldn't help to sell the new game when it is released. Since Markus essentially has to recode most, if not all, of the new game from the ground up, it's natural that he's going to spend the lion's share of his time working on it.
Those are good points, and I'm happy he released the patches to make the waivers system usable for solo players and iron out many of the bugs. The sad fact is though, it seems as if online leagues did not get much attention for these fixes, despite many claims about different issues from several people. I have no idea what Markus's schedule is, and I know it's in SI's best interest that he keep his fan base. That being said, releasing 2 patches in 2-3 months and promising one with small updates (other than H2H) *maybe* in another 3 months does not seem like he's really putting in the effort to this version. It seems that this has become a side project while he works on re-coding for v7. Even Mark himself said "he tries to turn a blind eye to Markus's v6 support" because it's not making him any $$$.

The simple fact is, the game's been out around 5 months, there are still plenty of lingering issues, plenty of pseudo-unsatisfied customers, no manual (at least everyone stopped flaming newbies for asking questions), and only what seemed to be a half-hearted promise of another update hopefully by World Series time with no mention of anything he was hoping to address other than H2H.

Co-commissioner of United Baseball League
Another Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 05:47 PM   #18
GeoWar
All Star Reserve

it is not working in "solo" play either .... i have been offered trades and proposed them . in one that i proposed it said the trade went through ..... then my transaction news said the trade was made ... i lost the player i offered but the other player did not move --.

Texas Longhorns -- NCAA Champion - Baseball 2005

Oregon State Beavers -- NCAA Champion - Baseball 2006 and 2007

With unity comes VICTORY !
GeoWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 12:09 AM   #19
WWBL Commissioner
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooker
The problem is we have been posting about this for weeks, I have started 2 dirfferent threads myself and they ignore them. I for one am disappointed for the first time with the way they have just choosen to pretend this issue is not happening
2005 Pacific League Champion
2006 Pacific League Champion
2007 Pacific League Champion
2008 WWBL WORLD CHAMPION
2010 WWBL WORLD CHAMPION
2019 WWBL WORLD CHAMPION
2029 WWBL WORLD CHAMPION
The Island Warriors are 21-23 in World Series play.

BadAssBaseball: Boston Red Sox
1906 American League Champion
1907 WORLD CHAMPION
WWBL Commissioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 12:13 AM   #20
Steve Kuffrey
Administrator

What do you mean by ignored? Neither I or anyonelse is going to "reply" to EVERY post or topic. IF a topic is posted it is looked into. Will it be fixed? I have no idea, but it HAS BEEN reported.
Baseball Maelstrom-Montreal Expos-2013 Tourney winner, 2014 WC Team
Sparky's League - Tampa Bay D'Rays
Epicenter Baseball League - Astros 2014
The CBL Rewind - Phillies '95
Steve Kuffrey is offline   Reply With Quote