Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support

Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support Do you have a copy of OOTP Baseball 2006? Are you in need of help and assistance in running the game or do you have errors that you need help in resolving? This is your place!

Old 06-12-2004, 06:55 AM   #41
rasnell
Hall Of Famer

The IE crash has returned for me, and this time in every window where the player card is clicked to display.

I had this working for about a week with BigMak's solution and help.

I'll repair again and see if I can get the game running, but this is definitely an unresolved OOTP problem. I've never had to do this kind of workaround for anything else.

Saw a message where Markus thinks he knows where the problem is, but the technical support and pace of patches are much, much slower than previous versions of OOTP and it's a shame.

In the future, I will be much, much slower in pre-ordering or even buying the next versions of the game. I'm going to wait until the forums report that the game is out of Beta stage and is now a working version.

What I like about Shaun Sullivan at PureSim is he gave customers the chance to buy a Beta version at a discount, knowing that it could have bugs and problems. You don't have to wait on updates, you lower your expectations for crashes, and you have the opportunity to test and report bugs.

The difference is that he's actually on the boards and releasing corrections about every three days.
Charlie Root won more games for the Cubs than any pitcher (201), yet was remembered for one pitch to Babe Ruth. Find out more about the 1929 World Series in my book, "Root for the Cubs: Charlie Root and the 1929 Chicago Cubs." See the web site at www.rootforthecubs.com. The book is at http://www.amazon.com/Root-Cubs-Char...t+for+the+cubs.

Beta tester, OOTP 2007-2023 and iOOTP 2011-2014.
rasnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 03:23 AM   #42
Brando7778
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Where is Markus' msg?

hey rasnell, where did you see the message about where Markus addresses this problem?
Brando7778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 01:26 PM   #43
gubaru
Major Leagues

For people having this problem, when was the last time you reloaded the OS? From my experience running Win98, it helps performance tremendously if the OS is reloaded every few months. Especially if you install or remove a number of programs. Since ME uses the same code base, the same should apply to it.

Just to test this out, I dug out an old PC and did a clean install of 98 on it, applied the updates from Microsoft and then tested OOTP 6. Except for the crash when sound was enabled, I didn't have any problems. I only ran intermittent tests for about a week; so, the sample size is pretty small but it might help.

One more thing to add to the reasons to upgrade list: NTFS handles mass disk writes and large volumes better than FAT32. After running this for a while under Win98, I put Win2000 Pro on it and it was much faster any time OOTP needed to create the HTML reports for players. It was especially noticeable for the transaction news report late in the season.
gubaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 02:44 PM   #44
rasnell
Hall Of Famer

Gubura, problem is also being reported on Win XP. Seems to be more a conflict with the current version of IE than with any of the operating systems.

Cannot recall exact spot that Markus thought he knew where this trade crash problem was, but it was within a thread of all the bugs he was working on.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:15 AM   #45
Brando7778
Minors (Rookie Ball)

trade crash bug

Hmm ok. I saw a thread where he was reporting that the beta testing for 6.03 patch was nearing completion. But he did not list any specific fixes regarding our trade crashes *sigh* I hope it's part of the fixes in the next patch, I can't play the game until it's fixed.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:26 AM   #46
rasnell
Hall Of Famer

Brando, I just posted that same reaction in the patch announcement thread. It has now been three patches without addressing this. For weeks, they blamed folks using the old Win Me OS and it turns out that Win XP users are reporting the same problem.

Ruins the game, doesn't seem to be getting attention or even an acknowledgement.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:50 AM   #47
akw4572
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasnell
Brando, I just posted that same reaction in the patch announcement thread. It has now been three patches without addressing this. For weeks, they blamed folks using the old Win Me OS and it turns out that Win XP users are reporting the same problem.

Ruins the game, doesn't seem to be getting attention or even an acknowledgement.
I just got the same goddamned crash with XP in version 6.03.
akw4572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 11:01 AM   #48
BigMak
Minors (Single A)

Its an absolute joke already. The company should have offered customer's their money back a long time ago. Promised features are missing or don't work. No manual. Game crashing bugs. I have never seen a product so poorly supported. I wasted my money on this game. Haven't played it since the first few days I bought it. I'm sure this will get deleted as all threads speaking out against the game have been lately. Enough is enough.
BigMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 11:14 AM   #49
Henry
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMak
Its an absolute joke already. The company should have offered customer's their money back a long time ago. Promised features are missing or don't work. No manual. Game crashing bugs. I have never seen a product so poorly supported. I wasted my money on this game. Haven't played it since the first few days I bought it. I'm sure this will get deleted as all threads speaking out against the game have been lately. Enough is enough.
The issue could not be replicated in time for the patch. I understand we now have a league file that might provide what's needed.
Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 02:06 PM   #50
gubaru
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasnell
Gubura, problem is also being reported on Win XP. Seems to be more a conflict with the current version of IE than with any of the operating systems.
I didn't mean to imply upgrading would fix it. I reread my post, though, and it looks like I am. I just meant there was an OOTP related reason to upgrade instead of the some of the others people have been shouting about. These two points should have been more clearly separated and I'm sorry for the lack of clarity.

The first point still applies to Win2K and XP. The problem is worse in 98/ME, though. One bad install or uninstall can play havoc in Windows. The restore points in ME/XP help but they don't completely fix the problem. The best way to fix it is to reinstall Windows.

I don't mean this the way it will probably sound but, given the lack of commonality in Windows/IE configurations associated with this crash, it's just as, if not more, likely a problem with your PC as it is with OOTP itself. Either a dll, etc. that OOTP needs is corrupted or some other application has changed something OOTP needs. Applications can and do conflict under Windows: It's why most corporate computer user policies forbid software installations by users.

So, long story short, even though a reinstall is a total pain, it would probably help the dev team out a lot if someone who has this problem did a clean install to see if that fixes it.
gubaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 05:24 PM   #51
Brando7778
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Where is this league file?

Henry can you please tell us where this league file is? I'd really like to see if that will work.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:27 PM   #52
Brando7778
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Wait a second

How can you guys have the 6.03 patch? I don't see it on the download section of the website?
Old 06-24-2004, 05:32 PM   #53
akw4572
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando7778
How can you guys have the 6.03 patch? I don't see it on the download section of the website?

Look in the ootp6 forum, in the sticky up top.
akw4572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 07:40 PM   #54
rasnell
Hall Of Famer

Gubaru, I wasn't taking issue with you at all. I was speaking about other posts that blamed the operating system, when many folks with the current version of IE are reporting the trade crash on all versions of OS.

If 6.03 is still as buggy as the rest, I'm returning to OOTP 5 and probably won't buy from OOTP until after a year of that new version on the market.

It's hard to keep downloading on dialup when the previous game is far better. I'll follow the forums and wait until users say the game seems ready for market after future updates.

It's a shame to see OOTP slip in the same fashion as .400 and others.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:31 AM   #55
Brando7778
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Any news?

Hey everyone,

Has anyone heard any news about a fix for the trade crash? I sure hope we don't have to wait for another darn patch, if that is the case, I'll be giving Markus an official complaint... you cannot have a baseball game without being able to trade *sigh* It's getting really frustrating and pissing me off.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:44 AM   #56
BigMak
Minors (Single A)

Personally, I don't think we will see a fix.
BigMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 03:48 AM   #57
Brando7778
Minors (Rookie Ball)

No Fix- I want Refund

Hey Big Mak,

If there's no fix, I'll be getting a refund. I'll wait for only so long until I get upset. I was promised a fix, it's not good business to not take care of your customers... sigh
Old 07-02-2004, 08:29 AM   #58
Henry
Hall of Fame

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...942#post758942
Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 12:51 AM   #59
reslfc
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gubaru
For people having this problem, when was the last time you reloaded the OS?
I reformatted and installed Windows ME on July 4. I just experienced the trade screen crash tonight, six days later. My version of IE is 6.0.2800.1106 with Update Versions SP1; Q832894; Q831167.

128 MB RAM
PIII 866 MHz
running v6.03 of the game

Is there any more info I should provide?
reslfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 09:22 PM   #60
Spielman
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry
*sigh*

Ok, so it's difficult for OOTP developments to support all these old OSs. Yes, we know it's not a huge organization, and Markus faces many challenges in producing the product. Fine.

So how about changing the system requirement page:
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/ootp/sys_req.php
to reflect the fact that these older OS's aren't fully supported?

Bluntly, listing Win98 as the recommended Operating System is misleading at best. If you don't want to support Win98 and other older systems, fine. Just don't tell us you're going to.

-Spielman
Spielman is offline   Reply With Quote