Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support Do you have a copy of OOTP Baseball 2006? Are you in need of help and assistance in running the game or do you have errors that you need help in resolving? This is your place!

Old 05-31-2004, 12:50 AM   #1
BigMak
Minors (Single A)

Possible Trade Crash Fix

I have been having the trade crash on Windows 98. I updated Windows tonight and the problem does not seem to exist. I only tried it a few times but I was able to view the players cards. It worked on a few players, I shut OOTP down, tried again and it worked. I am sorry that I did not write down which updates I installed but I can tell you I installed all the updates listed under "Critical Updates and Service Packs" along with the support for aol .art files.

To install an update, open Internet Explorer, select Tools-> Windows Update then follow the prompts. Hopefully this solves the problem. Don't know when I will get to test more. When I do, I will reply here.
BigMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 07:15 AM   #2
BigMak
Minors (Single A)

The crash is now back. I don't know why it was working last night, but today it is not. So updating Windows, has no effect on getting rid of the bug. Sorry if I got anybody's hopes up. I know mine were.
Old 05-31-2004, 07:21 AM   #3
rasnell
Hall Of Famer

Rats. I downloaded a few updates, hoping this would solve the problem.

One update I have not downloaded is the .net framework update. Does this game use .net in any fashion. It's a 21 meg update and I have dialup and don't see any need for it unless it would save my only Win Me software problem -- OOTP 6.
Charlie Root won more games for the Cubs than any pitcher (201), yet was remembered for one pitch to Babe Ruth. Find out more about the 1929 World Series in my book, "Root for the Cubs: Charlie Root and the 1929 Chicago Cubs." See the web site at www.rootforthecubs.com. The book is at http://www.amazon.com/Root-Cubs-Char...t+for+the+cubs.

Beta tester, OOTP 2007-2023 and iOOTP 2011-2014.
rasnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 08:08 AM   #4
PLG
All Star Reserve

No, OOTP doenst use the .net stuff.
Old 05-31-2004, 09:28 AM   #5
BigMak
Minors (Single A)

rasnell - Try this. It has worked every time I tried it so far (5 - 10 attempts). Go into Control Panel->Add/Remove Hardware-> Microsoft Internet Explorer. Then choose repair. This is how its done on Windows 98. I don't know if ME is any different. Once the repair is completed, it will prompt you to reboot. Do so.

Then go into the game and try and trade players. You should be able to view the player's card. I have not simmed or used any functions of the game. I just went directly to player trade and it worked. Don't know if any other functions will cause the crash to happen again.

Downside to this is that you will have to repair before you play the game each time. If I shut down, rebooted, or used another program, the crash would happen again. So it is only working directly after the repair. I would call this a workaround. In my opinion, it is better than the one offered by OOTP Developments. The repair should take less than a minute. Let me know your results.

I did not download the .Net. I'm also on dialup so I just got what they had listed in Critical updates. Good luck.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:28 AM   #6
rasnell
Hall Of Famer

I'll try it. Thanks. Maybe this will help Markus narrow down where the problem is.

Since it involved the display of the player card, I thought it had to be something related to the browser. Although Win ME is always a ripe target for blame.
Charlie Root won more games for the Cubs than any pitcher (201), yet was remembered for one pitch to Babe Ruth. Find out more about the 1929 World Series in my book, "Root for the Cubs: Charlie Root and the 1929 Chicago Cubs." See the web site at www.rootforthecubs.com. The book is at http://www.amazon.com/Root-Cubs-Char...t+for+the+cubs.

Old 06-01-2004, 10:26 AM   #7
Oneida
Minors (Triple A)

This seems to be a frequent crash, every time I go in to trade window, then Left Click on a player game crashes, I also use Win98se

But it only seems to crash when I left click on player in trade window
Oneida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 02:40 PM   #8
BigMak
Minors (Single A)

Oneida - Yes. it happens every time. That is why I haven't played the game. As of right now, I just wasted money. Did you try what I suggested above? Hopefully this will work for all. I haven't tried yet since making the post yesterday.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:01 AM   #9
rasnell
Hall Of Famer

BigMak, you have found the problem and your fix works. For the first time, OOTP 6 now works without a trade crash.

So, the problem is with Internet Explorer and not with Win ME.

Steve, Henry or Markus, please confirm that you see this thread and can try to narrow in on a fix to the trade crash and player tracker crash.

6.0.2800.1106 is my version of IE and it is current and updated as far as I know.

Please advise that you've seen this thread and will search for a more permanent solution.

Old 06-02-2004, 10:12 AM   #10
BigMak
Minors (Single A)

Great! Glad you got it working. I guess we're the Windows 98 and ME beta testers. lol. I have the same version of IE. Does it work every time you start it or is it just directly after running the repair? I'm just glad we can enjoy the game now.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:42 AM   #11
Oneida
Minors (Triple A)

what does IE have to do with anything

btw i also noticed that it only crashed when i try to Look at MY player, if i look at other teams guy it works fine, no crash
Oneida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 12:13 PM   #12
sporr
Global Moderator

Are you guys using the "external browser" setting or the OOTP browser?
sporr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 05:03 PM   #13
BigMak
Minors (Single A)

I had tried and crashed with both browsers. The workaround I posted above, I have only tried with the OOTP browser.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:26 PM   #14
rasnell
Hall Of Famer

Same for me. I only use the OOTP browser. I can't explain it, but repairing IE works for me.

I've not had a chance to play again, to see if I need to do the repair each time I play OOTP.

Old 06-02-2004, 08:30 PM   #15
sporr
Global Moderator

I wonder if the OOTP browser mimics IE and uses some of its files in some way.
sporr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 05:10 AM   #16
rasnell
Hall Of Famer

That's what I'm guessing. I can also report that the IE repair has solved my repeated loading and use of OOTP. In other words, I only needed to make the repair once and it has solved the remaining crashes in OOTP 6.02a.

Still seems like there's something for Markus to kick the tires on this to figure out why there's a conflict when the game tries to load the player cards out of the player trade and player tracker windows.

This is the first week that I've been able to play OOTP without all the annoying crashes. Thanks to BigMak for finding the fix.

I was just getting ready to give up on OOTP 6 and return to OOTP 5.

Old 06-03-2004, 09:16 AM   #17
BigMak
Minors (Single A)

I know what you're saying. I was not going to play the game if that crash was there. I had wasted my money. I wonder why I have to repair each time I want to use it.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:22 AM   #18
rasnell
Hall Of Famer

I just don't know enough about programming to figure out the following:

-- Why repairing IE resolves the crashes.
-- Why the game is accessing IE when your setting is to use the OOTP browser.
-- Why Win XP and other users did not have the crash, even though the conflict turned out to be with IE and all of us were using the most current versions of IE.

I'm disappointed that Markus is not dipping into the forums much any more and that Steve, Henry, et. al, have not acknowledged that they've seen this thread and will flag Markus' attention.

This crash bug has continued since the game came out and through three patches and everyone quickly blamed Win Me and Win 98 as the culprits and said we needed to drop another $100 to play a game.

It amuses me when people won't accept that you have at least 30 other games and software that has never had an issue or conflict with Win Me -- no matter how crappy the reputation of Win Me.

I'm not in the habit of fixing things that aren't broken or of spending $100 when I don't need to.

Old 06-03-2004, 10:26 AM   #19
rasnell
Hall Of Famer

I love the OOTP concept too much to give up. But I can honestly say that I should have stayed with OOTP 5 a lot longer until all these items were resolved.

Every patch in v6 has created more problems than resolved. I mean now we can't even move our starting pitching rotation around without all kinds of hassles with the bug created there.

I'm sure the game engine is nice and all this DIPS stuff, but OOTP 5 was so good that this version just didn't raise the bar very much.

Doing a trade is still a pain, managing the rosters is even more of a nightmare, the sim is so much slower...lots of reasons to question why OOTP 6 when OOTP 5 was pretty darn good.

Old 06-03-2004, 10:28 AM   #20
rasnell
Hall Of Famer

One more rant...you can't play OOTP 6 very long because of eye strain with the play by play window. The little fix to move the box to the bottom with a bigger font doesn't work because the display box isn't big enough when you set the text to fast or instant display and all paragraphs are shown (and cut off.)

Sorry to divert the thread, but the trade crash was the primary pain that prompted all of the rest of the rant.

And surprisingly, this time around, Markus has been slow to appear on the forums and very slow to fix with patches.